Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Also said they were told this recruitment could extend into August

Whether Baxter desires a bidding war or not - sounds like this is what his might turn in to.  Florida, aggy, and Miami are all desperate for his commitment.  Desperation can lead people to do stupid things.

To me this is bad news for Texas. The longer this recruitment goes it will trend more toward the Florida schools IMO. Plus Texas will be on the tail end of the Arch momentum

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I guess I like him a little more than the ranking services do then. I see a guy who could play WR or safety at a high level in college.

My point being I don’t see us slow playing him when he’s been a priority for over a year now. If we didn’t slow play Jonah Wilson or Billy Walton, I sure hope we aren’t slow playing this guy.

I wonder if Williams commitment kind of slowed this down. I hear you on Wilson, but it was pretty clear that Marion liked Wilson more than the surly intelligentsia. MHP was a priority at Safety and now there are 2 safeties in the class. He has insisted on starting at WR, so perhaps with Arch frenzy going on they have slowed this down. 

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Also said they were told this recruitment could extend into August.  Whether Baxter desires a bidding war or not - sounds like this is what his might turn in to.  Florida, aggy, and Miami are all desperate for his commitment.  Desperation can lead people to do stupid things.

If a guy is "a good fit who loves football", hopefully he ends up playing where he'll be happy and successful.  I have no problem with this player working out a great NIL deal wherever he ends up.

But, the highest bidder shouldn't be the most important factor on where a player chooses to commit...

6 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

To me this is bad news for Texas. The longer this recruitment goes it will trend more toward the Florida schools IMO. Plus Texas will be on the tail end of the Arch momentum

Tail end? Better he consider his options then commit than rush into it now and decommit later when final offers or cold feet happen. 
Arch momentum is gonna be strong until the season hits. We’ll have a chance to throw gasoline on it or reduce it to a flicker. 

Edited by Atticus

8 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

It is what it is honestly. Pulling 5 stars and other top guys out of another state with viable in state options is always a dogfight. Cristobal is likely to do some shady shit here, I just hope we are ready for it this time. Fortunately, Napier is spinning his wheels at Florida and Fuente is on his way out at FSU. Next year, if FSU brings in Deion then Florida is going to be impossible to pull guys out of. 

Edited by Vertigo

12 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

If Texas just doesn’t suck and can get to 8-9 wins. The momentum will never die and it will continue into the class of ‘24

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

Yeah... I don't see the Arch momentum dropping anytime soon... every single time Texas plays a game the commentators are going to go on and on about it.  Every time a halftime show shows Texas he will come up... Arch will be responsible for (at least) doubling NIL valuations for most recruits moving forward with Texas. His exposure will be insane for next year plus.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah... I don't see the Arch momentum dropping anytime soon... every single time Texas plays a game the commentators are going to go on and on about it.  Every time a halftime show shows Texas he will come up... Arch will be responsible for (at least) doubling NIL valuations for most recruits moving forward with Texas. His exposure will be insane for next year plus.

I don't mean to say that Arch won't be a big deal for Texas and a major talking point all season and beyond. But the shock and awe of the commit and its influence on the 18 year olds is only going to last a month or two. I know he is reaching out to recruits and that will help a lot but once the season starts it is all going to be about how Texas looks on the field.

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Perfect, this is as it should be in a healthy situation.

Every year you should take 5 (we are playing from behind here due to Herman's idiocy).  You should plan on 1 guy being special enough to crack the two deep and play (yes, even Alabama will see the occasional true freshman play some), and the other 4 guys to redshirt.

Every year you should shoot for one transfer from the portal who can up the quality of play on the line and be better than your weakest link (until you get it stacked to the point where your guys are all better than every transfer in the portal)

Every year you should run at least 1 guy off, but maybe/probably 2 or 3 least performing guys unless the class is just special.  But at least one guy for sure every year should get run from the room- so that you can set up to take 5 every year and redshirt.  That would give you something like

2/3 5th year guys

2/3 4th year guys

3-4 3rd year guys 

4-5 2nd year guys

4- redshirts

15-19 linemen on campus- 8 of them looking to redshirt or develop unless they are really special and 7-10 upperclassmen that you count on to play at a competent level at any point in time, with 1 or 2 special lower classmen to break in fresh blood, while the rest lift and eat and work on footwork and conditioning.  It's not just the 7 guys that hey might take that makes me happy, it's the idea that they are going to trap door 3 or 4.  You need to plant and cultivate but you also need to prune.  Finally. 

This seems fine.  I think a point people miss with OL is that there are 5 starters but realistically only 8-9 contributors and 12-13 that even need a jersey and pads.  Add in 3-4 RS and  a 15-17 range is reasonable for a healthy roster (plus a few extra for competition as needed).

You might want 5-6 RBs total on your roster for what is essentially one position.  But trying to hold onto 25-30 OL makes zero sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I can't tell if this is him being baffled or trying to cast shade at some NIL shit ala aggy 

https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/1541811448049012739?t=SCJhPsusBIKPAkaJF1-ECA&s=19

I think he's throwing shade at LSU.  Kiffin and Sark are still really good friends - I'd be surprised if he'd call him out publicly.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Started by looking at the uniforms- thought Florida was Clemson and had no idea who Miami was.  Then saw the logos. 

And that's why black uniforms are so dumb if black isn't a team color. Florida wearing orange is fine I guess, though it's not their best look.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

His parent's are clearly 2%'ers.  Parents should want better for their kids than they had - good for them to recognize it.  Also this seems to confirm Stroh is an EE.

The Stroh effect. Let's get Rosie working the phones. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Oh we still need to play the season? I was just going to Sim it and do the next recruiting class. 

This week and the week the SEC move leaked was more fun than anything that’s actually happened on the football field (give or take the Sugar Bowl win) in years. 

• Hook 'Em 3