Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

9 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Per IT, they would take whoever commits first between MHP and Hale. Maybe the focus has shifted to Hale. 

If Johntay is to be believed, they are full court pressing on Hale. MHP seems like a guy on the bubble to me who could get lost in the shuffle at multiple position groups. I would love to see the data on guys who project best at one position, but insist on playing another until they finally figure out they won't crack the lineup before switching. My guess is those guys rarely pan out even at their original best position. Henry Melton is the only guy I can recall offhand who successfully did that and went on to have a great pro career. 

Edited by Vertigo

Hamilton on Pettaway

Spoiler

Spoke to a source on On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaqauize Pettaway. This source has spoken with the speedy playmaker since the news of Cale Gundy leaving the Oklahoma program. It's said Pettaway was definitely bummed out about Gundy leaving, but not the situation itself. This person didn't think a recommit was imminent as of yesterday afternoon.

Can that change? Sure it can. But that is where is was at 24 hours ago.

Another note, the colleges that lost out (Texas, etc...) haven't been blowing up the Langham Creek coaching staffs phone as of this afternoon.

16 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hamilton on Pettaway

Hide contents

Spoke to a source on On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaqauize Pettaway. This source has spoken with the speedy playmaker since the news of Cale Gundy leaving the Oklahoma program. It's said Pettaway was definitely bummed out about Gundy leaving, but not the situation itself. This person didn't think a recommit was imminent as of yesterday afternoon.

Can that change? Sure it can. But that is where is was at 24 hours ago.

Another note, the colleges that lost out (Texas, etc...) haven't been blowing up the Langham Creek coaching staffs phone as of this afternoon.

Well that last note sure fits with the "no one fucking likes the guy" reports out there.

On trying to piece together bits of information on Hale and MHP, there was a point where it looked like MHP was going to commit, but didn’t.

The speculation was that the staff was waiting on Hale and encouraged MHP to slow down. Rumors emerged that MHP was unhappy he wasn’t a priority. That was quickly disputed by 9.95’rs. That may have been leaked to 9.95rs by the staff on purpose to calm down MHP. 

Fast forward, Hale has flirted with Bama after it looked like he would commit to Texas. This latest California CB could be a realization by MHP that Hale has decided and is going to commit or has committed to Texas?

12 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

What time tomorrow does Baxter announce?

Also, will one of y’all call me right beforehand to remind me? 

Thanks in advance…

I’ll call you right beforehand but we need to talk about how drunk your dad was when he named you that. 

• Haha 1

Gerry on Florida DT Jordan Hall

Jacksonville, Fla. – On3 Consensus 4-star defensive tackle Jordan Hall wants to make an official visit to Texas. The No. 27 ranked prospect in the On300 for the 2023 cycle became interested when friend Sydir Mitchell committed to the Longhorns July 3.

“Sydir, that’s my guy. We are cool. I think Sydir sparked interest in the Texas coaches. I think he said something about me to the coaches. Honestly, the farthest I have ever been (that way) is Louisiana. The farthest I have been for football was when I visited LSU. Texas is the biggest state in the country, it’s hot like Florida, they got good ball there. Why not give Texas a shot? I’m a recruit for a reason, and I’m looking for the place that fits me the best.”

Like a number of other top prospects, Hall has a specific visit date in mind. “Oh, most definitely. Week two when they play against Alabama, I’m seriously considering OV’ing for that weekend. We haven’t talked about that weekend yet, but I want to visit. I know that’s when a lot of Texas’ top recruits are visiting. I really just want to go see Texas. What they have going on.”

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis is heading up the recruitment of Hall. The two are building a relationship on a weekly basis. “Bo Davis, I talked to him the Sunday I came back from Miami (July 28). It wasn’t too much. We just chopped it up a bit. I keep in communication with him. He checks up on me to see how I’m doing. I think he was pretty surprised I had any interest in Texas. That’s still new, and still fresh. I think we talk once or twice a week now.”

Hall learning more about Texas

“I wouldn’t say I know a lot. I know a little. I know the history of the school, how good they used to be and how they want to bring that back. The brand of football they used to play. Hard nosed, run the ball. They probably have the best running back in the country when he’s healthy in Bijan (Robinson). They have some weapons there. Texas’ recruiting is going well. Sydir said it’s a vibe. It’s a cool place to be. He just wants me to get on board.”

Hall has official visit plans

Hall told On3 Tuesday that he has two official visit dates set. He plans to make an official visit to LSU for the Tennessee game October 8, and Ohio State November 26 for the Michigan rivalry game. The Sunshine State defender is very high on Georgia, Florida and Miami headed into the fall. He was born in Columbus, Ga., and has family in Decatur, Ga. The Florida Gators are the closest to home. And the Hurricanes have the entire staff prioritizing Hall.

Hall was named Jacksonville Times Union All-First Coast selection following his junior season. He totaled 34 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 5 sacks in nine games while facing many double teams. Hall heads into his senior season with 74 tackles, 27 tackles for loss and eight sacks in two seasons.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Gerry on Jordan Hall

Translation: They are a program worthy of my talent, and I'd really like to go to the Alabama game...because who doesn't?

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

I live on the west end of Galveston. Just keep fat ketch off the island or I know it will sink and we will all drown.

Username does not check out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“Sydir, that’s my guy. We are cool. I think Sydir sparked interest in the Texas coaches. I think he said something about me to the coaches. Honestly, the farthest I have ever been (that way) is Louisiana. The farthest I have been for football was when I visited LSU. Texas is the biggest state in the country, it’s hot like Florida, they got good ball there. Why not give Texas a shot? I’m a recruit for a reason, and I’m looking for the place that fits me the best.”

Pretty cool

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Wait, Ketchum lives in Houston now? I feel like we would have noticed a seismic shift on multiple fronts - toilet paper shortages, bacon shortages, wing shortages, other meat shortages, and entire swaths of the population sheltering in place to avoid becoming a snack. 

Wait.

Hang on. Are you telling me ... are you telling me that Geoff Ketchum is corona?!

Christ. Now it all makes sense. 

When I read that the Golden Coral off 290 ran out of the chocolate fountain, it was a dead giveaway that Ketch moved to Houston 

748662C0-67DE-4160-86CD-9FA4A0C4EF2A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Probably a combination of the two biases you mention; 1.) the long gaps we go with barely talking about him and 2.) His other top schools don’t match his ranking. I can make sense of Cal, it’s an excellent school, but Houston was in his top 5 too. Makes me question how sought after he really is, but he could just be a quirky dude.

Didn’t his dad play at Houston?  MHP really liked Cal by all accounts and so did his family but I thought he was TCU if Texas didn’t take him

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If Johntay is to be believed, they are full court pressing on Hale. MHP seems like a guy on the bubble to me who could get lost in the shuffle at multiple position groups. I would love to see the data on guys who project best at one position, but insist on playing another until they finally figure out they won't crack the lineup before switching. My guess is those guys rarely pan out even at their original best position. Henry Melton is the only guy I can recall offhand who successfully did that and went on to have a great pro career. 

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

The price on a wheel of raclette cheese at the Bunker Hill HEB has doubled in the last 3 months.  Ketch living in Spring Branch confirmed.

Like Ketch eats any cheese other than Velveeta. 

17 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

The price on a wheel of raclette cheese at the Bunker Hill HEB has doubled in the last 3 months.  Ketch living in Spring Branch confirmed.

I have it on good authority that he uses that cheese as soap. How are the reservoires?

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Ketch moved to the woodlands area.. I never thought I'd enjoy Galveston as much as I have. Don't think I could ever live there since I'm not a BMD but being 25 minutes away isn't too shabby. 

Mother fucker, you mean there is a chance that I could run into this fucker rolling through HEB at some point? Wing prices are certainly going to increase too, fucking hell

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Mother fucker, you mean there is a chance that I could run into this fucker rolling through HEB at some point? Wing prices are certainly going to increase too, fucking hell

If you find a trail of diarrhea starting in the chip aisle, change stores immediately 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Noooooo!!  That’s my H‑E‑B.  I noticed they were low on the carts for the fat fucks at the front of the store.  Ketch-E and Anwar must have been making a run for the Creamy Creations.  

6DC53A27-4CC9-47E4-A013-F8B3F537C57C.jpeg

• Haha 2

I was going to pose a logistics question (How does a high school kid in Jacksonville, Florida, playing in a football game on Friday night, make it to Austin in time for a Saturday 11 am kickoff?) but I went ahead and looked it up. There are two flights leaving JAX at 6:00, one is scheduled to arrive at AUS just before 10 am, the other around 10:30. You’ll probably be a little late to the game, but you’ll be ok. 

We’ve got kids coming from all over, so kudos to the staff for making all the arrangements and making sure there are drivers, cars, etc., and making sure the families are cared for well. You can’t have any fuck ups. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I was going to pose a logistics question (How does a high school kid in Jacksonville, Florida, playing in a football game on Friday night, make it to Austin in time for a Saturday 11 am kickoff?) but I went ahead and looked it up. There are two flights leaving JAX at 6:00, one is scheduled to arrive at AUS just before 10 am, the other around 10:30. You’ll probably be a little late to the game, but you’ll be ok. 

We’ve got kids coming from all over, so kudos to the staff for making all the arrangements and making sure there are drivers, cars, etc., and making sure the families are cared for well. You can’t have any fuck ups. 

That’s not even the tough one that weekend. Duce Robinson is doing the same thing playing on Friday at 7 in Phoenix and then schedule to be in Austin at 11 Saturday, all while losing 2 hours coming East. At least Hall will gain an hour on his flight. 

• Hook 'Em 1