Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, NoName said:

in case you are curious, Billy Bowman is a full time DB. not sure if he ever even played a snap at WR at OU (even though they "promised" him he would play offense too).

He sure looked like a WR trying to tackle Bijan. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I know this is unlikely, but if we somehow managed to fill the class out with Baxter, Matthews, Hale, Hall, Wilson, Robinson, and Toviano would this be in the running for best TX signing class evar? 

It's tough to compare, because there are so many more ranking services today, but it'd be tough to argue against the 2002 class. Number 1 player VY, six total 5-stars, 10 of the top 90, 21 of 28 were four/five stars, and one of the three stars was Brian Robison.

What you've calculated (which will not happen) would give us four 5-stars,  22 of 28 as 4/5 stars and 10 of the top 81. Similar classes, but one actually happened, and won a national championship. The other probably won't happen. 

Still, amazing fucking class if we can hold on to it and add a few more dudes. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 4

Schools battling for Top247 DB Jordan Matthews heading into next week's commitment

STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

Schools battling for Top247 DB Jordan Matthews heading into next week's commitment

STEVE WILTFONG

Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn Top247 cornerback Jordan Matthews will make his college decision this coming Monday, Aug. 15.

Texas, Tennessee and Michigan are the finalists, and Matthews also looked hard at Alabama and Stanford during his process.

Easy to see why the 6-foot, 165-pound Matthews and his 10.6 speed in the 100m dash is so coveted.

“Oh man, he’s a savvy guy, a long, rangy corner that can run,” Woodlawn head coach Marcus Randall said. “He checks almost every box on paper. I know coming into his junior year some guys had some questions about his physicality. I think he came out and show that he’s willing to hit and ready to challenge any receiver. Last year against Shelton Sampson, one of the best receivers in the country, he held him to one catch all day long. That’s the kind of guy I see being able to put down one half of the field.”

Matthews is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the nation’s No. 15 cornerback and No. 139 prospect overall.

“You’re getting a guy very detailed that’s going to be disciplined,” Randall said adding that Matthews is self motivated. “He’s going to get better and better and better as he continues to play. He got bigger this summer and I’m looking for big things out of him.”

Matthews is not only athletically gifted but brings a high football IQ to the secondary.

“He understands coverages, not just man to man,” Randall said. “He does multiple things and he’ll do a little of everything for us. You might see him play safety and move him around because we know guys are going to stay away from him.”

College recruiters aren’t going to stay away and that includes LSU. The Tigers aren’t a finalist right now but they’ll keep trying to chip away during the season. In the meantime, many seem to likes Texas’s chances to add Matthews to a class that could be ranked No. 3 nationally by the weekend if the Top247’s No. 2 running back Cedric Baxter Jr. jumps in the fold.

“They basically went all in on Jordan as well as a few other schools,” Randall said. “I think those guys did a great job recruiting him and making him feel at home. Terry Joseph is from New Orleans so obviously that makes a great connection with him automatically and he does a great job developing DBs. I think that’s a great choice. Those guys are making a big push and getting Arch Manning I know they’re going to keep making great pushes and I think turn that program around at Texas.

“Steve Sarkisian coming in, obviously a household name with the things he’s done in his career. He’s proved he can win, run offenses and put you on a high stage. I think that’s one thing he’s showing now, he can recruit well and he’s got some guys on staff that can recruit well and understand the game and make kids comfortable about spending the next four to five years there.”

With all that being said Tennessee is still battling for Matthews, having daily communication with the blue-chipper this week including head coach Josh Heupel being involved. The Vols would love to add Matthews to the nation’s No. 11 recruiting class.

“Coach (Jerry) Mack has done a great job,” Randall said. “Always coming down and doing a great job recruiting guys in the area. He’s done a great job making Jordan also feel that’s a place he can go and feel comfortable and develop as a person and player and that’s why they’re still on the table.”

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

I just want to see the boomers heads explode trying to figure this one out

63529FC1-6579-45BD-BD66-CCA4D95F91CA.jpeg

Are you kidding? He must have an operations background. Just in Time is a great idea to individualize products and keep inventory low as long as COGs are within reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG

Hide contents

STEVE WILTFONG

Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn Top247 cornerback Jordan Matthews will make his college decision this coming Monday, Aug. 15.

Texas, Tennessee and Michigan are the finalists, and Matthews also looked hard at Alabama and Stanford during his process.

Easy to see why the 6-foot, 165-pound Matthews and his 10.6 speed in the 100m dash is so coveted.

“Oh man, he’s a savvy guy, a long, rangy corner that can run,” Woodlawn head coach Marcus Randall said. “He checks almost every box on paper. I know coming into his junior year some guys had some questions about his physicality. I think he came out and show that he’s willing to hit and ready to challenge any receiver. Last year against Shelton Sampson, one of the best receivers in the country, he held him to one catch all day long. That’s the kind of guy I see being able to put down one half of the field.”

Matthews is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the nation’s No. 15 cornerback and No. 139 prospect overall.

“You’re getting a guy very detailed that’s going to be disciplined,” Randall said adding that Matthews is self motivated. “He’s going to get better and better and better as he continues to play. He got bigger this summer and I’m looking for big things out of him.”

Matthews is not only athletically gifted but brings a high football IQ to the secondary.

“He understands coverages, not just man to man,” Randall said. “He does multiple things and he’ll do a little of everything for us. You might see him play safety and move him around because we know guys are going to stay away from him.”

College recruiters aren’t going to stay away and that includes LSU. The Tigers aren’t a finalist right now but they’ll keep trying to chip away during the season. In the meantime, many seem to likes Texas’s chances to add Matthews to a class that could be ranked No. 3 nationally by the weekend if the Top247’s No. 2 running back Cedric Baxter Jr. jumps in the fold.

“They basically went all in on Jordan as well as a few other schools,” Randall said. “I think those guys did a great job recruiting him and making him feel at home. Terry Joseph is from New Orleans so obviously that makes a great connection with him automatically and he does a great job developing DBs. I think that’s a great choice. Those guys are making a big push and getting Arch Manning I know they’re going to keep making great pushes and I think turn that program around at Texas.

“Steve Sarkisian coming in, obviously a household name with the things he’s done in his career. He’s proved he can win, run offenses and put you on a high stage. I think that’s one thing he’s showing now, he can recruit well and he’s got some guys on staff that can recruit well and understand the game and make kids comfortable about spending the next four to five years there.”

With all that being said Tennessee is still battling for Matthews, having daily communication with the blue-chipper this week including head coach Josh Heupel being involved. The Vols would love to add Matthews to the nation’s No. 11 recruiting class.

“Coach (Jerry) Mack has done a great job,” Randall said. “Always coming down and doing a great job recruiting guys in the area. He’s done a great job making Jordan also feel that’s a place he can go and feel comfortable and develop as a person and player and that’s why they’re still on the table.”

Coach's quotes sound good. "Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas....oh yeah, he also thinks he'd be fine at Tennessee."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

In high school I worked at a Wal-Mart and had the opportunity to watch a woman open a brick of Velveeta, peel back the foil, and walk around the store taking bites off of it like it was a snickers bar. 

I was going to ask if she paid for it, but she did... just a couple of days later.

• Haha 3