Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

Posted in the 995er thread but it’s to great to leave out… in response to ketch talking shit about some on3 rankings 😂A696ACE2-CD4E-470B-BD6C-5844A4C2E899.thumb.jpeg.5917293cc93cdf00d12af1d60e363465.jpeg

51 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Lmaooooo Gerry really hates that mfer

What’s the backstory between Hamilton & Ketch? I know GH used to be at Rivals, but I don’t know if he ever worked for OB.

32 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

What’s the backstory between Hamilton & Ketch? I know GH used to be at Rivals, but I don’t know if he ever worked for OB.

He was at ob.  Covered mainly basketball.  Huge loss when he left.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

What's shakin" Fat ketch believes he's the og of Texas recruiting because Burton set his fat ass up for being a good errand boy when no one pursued .995 employment as legitimate. Everyone who worked for him seems to dislike him because he's a poor leader, makes some of the worst analogies, listened to his radio show in austin and realized what a douche he is, had a "misunderstanding" with a Cole Pitman fundraiser, extremely obese and inappropriate, terrible voice, tone and lacks understanding of who he is. Once Rivals was purchased he got his stomach stapled and lost weight which lasted a solid 5 months, made enough cash to convince some chick from Houston to have his children.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

Not to CTJ it up but I feel like a general reference thread for who our 9.95ers are, their histories, and why they dislike each other, would be amusing. I know some stuff just from following this for a long time, but I think it'd be fun.  Maybe the "worth every penny" thread?

Edited by RollingPresidential

8 hours ago, OB3 said:

Posted in the 995er thread but it’s to great to leave out… in response to ketch talking shit about some on3 rankings 😂A696ACE2-CD4E-470B-BD6C-5844A4C2E899.thumb.jpeg.5917293cc93cdf00d12af1d60e363465.jpeg

Nahlin also made a comment on the State of the Program show about how Rivals only had Baxter as the #20 recruit in the state of Florida. 

8 hours ago, OB3 said:

I’m not sure what else Gerry wants Ketchum to do. The guy had already tweeted about crushing the Sirloin Stockade business model just this week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The OG 9.95 wars go back to Jerry Scarbrough and Robert Heard.  They mailed their newsletters at the time.  And eventually, upgraded to FAX for breaking news!

"The good old days"     Are they both retired now ?

10 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

I think Jabba just got a kimchee slap from Gerry.  On the plus side, he got to eat it afterwards

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, Hamilton works hard at his job. Ketchum eats and trolls. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure what else Gerry wants Ketchum to do. The guy had already tweeted about crushing the Sirloin Stockade business model just this week. 

• Haha 8

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. Ketchum threatened him with his lawyers and @blacklab just laughed. 

I would be open to a $9.95er history thread.  Hell, some of that shit will die with some of us and already has with a few, but there are some really comical and otherwise interesting tails. 

Regarding Ketchum and Shaggy, a mysterious handle appeared on a thread on BarkingCarnival, Pandora’s Box, and posted on the thread where Ketchum had shown up and was arguing with people. Ol’PB posted the story of Ketchum hosting the Swing 44 golf tournament for Cole Pittman’s family after his death. He had a young gf/wife and kid left behind, if I remember correctly. Anyway, story goes, Ketchum took the proceeds from the charitable cause and paid off back taxes to the IRS and never held another tourney. 

Ketchum came unhinged and then accused PB of being me, which was always curious to me, because how would I know? Unless, of course, I was friends with someone who watched him do it and brag about it, which would have had to have ended up with that person quitting their job for Ketchum in protest. But no, fuck that. That’s too crazy. 

Anyway, crossover posting from someone like @Red Five/Nordberg, or one of the other regulars on both BC and Shaggy, happened. Next thing you know, the Shaggy thread is fucking bonkers and then that’s when Fat Chet showed up and attempted to throw his weight around. Instead, he had the cyber shit kicked out of him and he ran back to his safe haven to fire shots behind circled wagons. 

If memory serves, that was Pandora’s Box’s first and last post on any of the boards. Weird. 

As I recall, the late Sean Adams would get loose lips at Happy Hours after a few cocktails and tell this story to whoever would listen.  I may be just making that up, but it sounds good.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would be open to a $9.95er history thread.  Hell, some of that shit will die with some of us and already has with a few, but there are some really comical and otherwise interesting tails. 

tales

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

As I recall, the late Sean Adams would get loose lips at Happy Hours after a few cocktails and tell this story to whoever would listen.  I may be just making that up, but it sounds good.

That is how Gerry found out. Adams was also Ketch’s accountant at the time. I think PB mentioned it. I think everyone believes PB was Gerry. I remember the thread on Shaggy, it may be the only thing of value over there now, if that site still exists.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

That is how Gerry found out. Adams was also Ketch’s accountant at the time. I think PB mentioned it. I think everyone believes PB was Gerry. I remember the thread on Shaggy, it may be the only thing of value over there now, if that site still exists.

looks like it is toast

image.png.fe8ecc3ef431d081b961030a2f471d6b.png

&

image.thumb.png.fd479ff42644ac3782e5469b7f9a6411.png

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, str3tch said:

I dunno, the UT Pimp story was pretty solid.

spacer.png

archive.org link to the story > https://web.archive.org/web/20170715085622/http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/55421-My-Bad-Fan-MNC-Game-Experience-In-MS-PAINT-Pimp-Appears-P.8

didn't someone find an actual pic of him or didn't he show up or something?

classics on archive.org > https://web.archive.org/web/20171126121553/http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/forumdisplay.php/19-Classics

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The OG 9.95 wars go back to Jerry Scarbrough and Robert Heard.  They mailed their newsletters at the time.  And eventually, upgraded to FAX for breaking news!

This is how I got hooked into following recruiting.  Buddy's dad was a mid+ level donor, season tickets for decades, etc.  He would get the faxes, read them, and then mail them immediately to his son.  We had some big lecture hall class together w/ another sports minded friend who brought the Houston sports page to class everyday and we would take turns reading UT recruiting info and Oilers/Rockets writeups.  This was leading up to Ricky's announcement, so it must have been 1994? I remember thinking how awesome the pull of Texas football (state, not U) overall was that the 2 best RB in CA would be headed here for college instead of USC/UCLA.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Does anyone remember Suzanne Halliburton's "Hotline" number for the recorded recruiting updates?

• Hook 'Em 3