Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 9/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, brojangles2 said:

He has easily taken over Omenihu's title as greatest student recruiter. 

I dunno, man. Omenihu straight up told Mack he was overrated and wasn't making no NFL roster while he would be. He done slept that aggy pussy in the mouth from the future 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
More words N shit

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Hale’s decision this week - he wants to go to Texas. If Sarkisian wants to make sure the NIL is there for a guy like that once on campus, he commits to Texas. Word is that is where it is headed. 

How is Brenen Thompson looking in practice?

Assuming Neyor is healthy what is our starting 3 looking like next year? I guess what I am asking is whether we are going to be relying on any of the freshmen.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Assuming Neyor is healthy what is our starting 3 looking like next year? I guess what I am asking is whether we are going to be relying on any of the freshmen.

By the looks of it we won’t rely on any of them but Johntay probably forces the issue. 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, ousux said:
On 9/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, tokamak said:
Please sweet baby Jesus at least let us make this competitive for recruiting reasons

Baby jesus answers, he's almost a Longhorns fan it seems

Almost my foot.  When I talked to him last night and again this morning,  he didn't say a word, he simply smiled and gave me the Hook'Em sign...

• Hook 'Em 1

I love that the fans in the stadium are so lively and numerous. You expect if for Alabama, but that was a nice showing Saturday as well. Through the TV I think I feel the world shifting favorably. This is just such a festive, fun place when things are clicking. Has to help with recruiting. That and winning, of course.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Hale’s decision this week - he wants to go to Texas. If Sarkisian wants to make sure the NIL is there for a guy like that once on campus, he commits to Texas. Word is that is where it is headed. 

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

IMO next season Neyor is gonna be in the same position that Troy Omiere & Jaden Alexis are in this season. He’ll be able to physically play, but he won’t have regained his full athleticism back yet.

6 hours ago, MH BEVO said:

By the looks of it we won’t rely on any of them but Johntay probably forces the issue. 

Who do y’all consider the better WR prospect between Cook & Hale?

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

IMO next season Neyor is gonna be in the same position that Troy Omiere & Jaden Alexis are in this season. He’ll be able to physically play, but he won’t have regained his full athleticism back yet.

52 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nope

Traditionally it took a year before you could be back & play after an ACL tear. But it took 2 years to regain your full athleticism from before the ACL tear.

Based on the Spring football & Fall camp reports, Omiere & Alexis seem to be on this timeline. They can physically practice & play, but they haven’t fully recovered from their ACL tears. I don’t see why Neyor won’t go through the same thing.

Edited by TheMailBox357

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Traditionally it took a year before you could be back & play after an ACL tear. But it took 2 years to regain your full athleticism from before the ACL tear.

Based on the Spring football & Fall camp reports, Omiere & Alexis seem to be on this timeline. They can physically practice & play, but they haven’t fully recovered from their ACL tears. I don’t see why Neyor won’t go through the same thing.

Omeire is on his second ACL in as many years. The talk last year from Sark is that Neyor needs to get back mentally. As for Alexis, who knows. With Neyors work ethic and etc he should be able to come back next summer/fall camp. Modern medicine I don’t see him loosing much athletic ability. 

• Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

he deleted the tweet? weird.

Probably because Anwar’s dumbass claimed he saw the video of something that didn’t happen (the dipshit “mounting” bevo).  Video clearly shows the handlers stopping the guy as he was climbing the fence and then getting taken down by the cop… never got close to Bevo.  But Anwar had to be part of it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Is it a confidence thing? I believe the repair itself should be solid within weeks of surgery if not sooner. I'm basing this on my two tendon repairs (quad avulsion OUCH and Achilles rupture). Anyway, it doesn't take two years for stability, does it?

I wasn't injured as an athlete. I found returning to my normal activities of sitting on my ass, eating, and watching TV to take very little time. I'm probably just way tougher than a scholarship athlete.

• Haha 9

Not sure why we’re on this in the 2023 recruiting thread, but I’m less certain than any of you guys that Neyor is at Texas next year. 

For 2023 WR depth purposes, Texas needs to:

-sign 4 guys, if not a 5th in MHP.

-retain Worthy, and that is going to be 7 figures from the NIL machine.

-get Hall to a spot where he’s reliable and vaguely maturing. 

-get Thompson thinking he’s going to contribute this year and be a big part of next year.

-cross your fingers on Neyor.

-retain Cain, Red, and anyone else they think is a player.

-find an impact transfer if you can, and will probably need $250k-$1M depending upon who it is. 

• Hook 'Em 4

-find an impact transfer if you can, and will probably need $250k-$1M depending upon who it is. 

I disagree with the majority of your post, but these two takes are the worst of the lot.

Worthy won’t be transferring unless our team shits the bed in conference play.

With our current talent, regardless of Neyors return, we are not in need of a transfer. There are some ballers on the team right now that aren’t seeing the field due to depth. There are immediate impact players in the ‘23 class, should they be needed. Hale would add another one if he joins (There, made it recruiting relevant).
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I disagree with the majority of your post, but these two takes are the worst of the lot.

With our current talent, regardless of Neyors return, we are not in need of a transfer. There are some ballers on the team right now that aren’t seeing the field due to depth. There are immediate impact players in the ‘23 class, should they be needed. Hale would add another one if he joins (There, made it recruiting relevant).

...tell us you don't understand NIL without saying you don't understand NIL.

Worthy was thisclose to transferring last year...for NIL-based rea$on$.

the game has changed, and if you don't think Worthy costs more next year than he did this year - assuming he continues on their current trajectory - you are wrong.

*everything* has changed. you have to ante up for your stars or see them go elsewhere - see Addision and Pitt > USC.

Texas is going to be in that game too moving forward if they want to compete for shit in the B12, much less the SEC.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

You should spell out everything you disagree with, as it should be entertaining if it is anywhere close to your take on Worthy. 

I can say with certainty that Worthy is about the money first. If you think otherwise, that is your choice as a fan, but don't look too closely at how all of this is working. The guy put a gun to our head the last day people could transfer in the spring and was heading to USC. And yes, I used the word "our" for good fucking reason. He will work the same angles and Riley and others will do the same tampering. So, no, you're dead fucking wrong on that one.

The rest is also largely wishcasting. I too hope it is all true, but you are as naive as a child with your post.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Worthy was thisclose to transferring last year...for NIL-based rea$on$.

the game has changed, and if you don't think Worthy costs more next year than he did this year - assuming he continues on their current trajectory - you are wrong.

*everything* has changed. you have to ante up for your stars or see them go elsewhere - see Addision and Pitt > USC.

Agree. I can tell you personally that my work product this year is the same as last year, but if I dont get an 8% bump in base salary, I'm out.

Inflation alone means this man needs more than he got this year, and if he has the common sense to leverage his improtance to the team next year, he will be successful, or he will be gone.  Hopefully someone important is willing to cough up the NIL money; I have $17 to pitch in plus some half used gift cards if anyone wants to pass the hat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Duane Moore said:

Geez, 7 figures per year just to retain a top player for another season. Not doubting your assessment at all, just marveling at how far we have come so fast. 

It's not all going to be about booster support as things continue to develop. In this instance, a big part of retaining a guy at that level will be corporate-related work, which is already a part of his outlook. So, not totally crazy for Texas. But USC, specifically, can put together corporate packages for flashy talent just the same, or more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure why we’re on this in the 2023 recruiting thread, but I’m less certain than any of you guys that Neyor is at Texas next year. 

-get Thompson thinking he’s going to contribute this year and be a big part of next year.

I'm guessing you think that Whittington will head off into the sunset to get drafted in the 7th round if he stays healthy and has a decent year? Makes sense to me.

Neyor (if healthy) versus a transfer feels like it might be an either/or proposition to me. Just depends on his health, motivation, and the price tag attached to each option.

Worthy, Neyor/transfer, Cain, Thompson, Red, and a strong group of freshmen seems fine, if maybe a little on the young side. I personally wouldn't count on Hall for anything, ever. That's found money if it pans out.

You should spell out everything you disagree with, as it should be entertaining if it is anywhere close to your take on Worthy. 
I can say with certainty that Worthy is about the money first. If you think otherwise, that is your choice as a fan, but don't look too closely at how all of this is working. The guy put a gun to our head the last day people could transfer in the spring and was heading to USC. And yes, I used the word "our" for good fucking reason. He will work the same angles and Riley and others will do the same tampering. So, no, you're dead fucking wrong on that one.
The rest is also largely wishcasting. I too hope it is all true, but you are as naive as a child with your post.

You big man you with your not so subtle attempt to make things personal. Let me bring it back from that cliff…

We went 5-7 last year. This off-season and last off-season are separate animals, assuming, as I already stated, we don’t shit the bed. Next year is a contract year for Worthy. He’ll play where he thinks his long-term NFL future is most secure. If he and Ewers start hooking up the long ball, he’s staying.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

You big man you with your not so subtle attempt to make things personal. Let me bring it back from that cliff…

We went 5-7 last year. This off-season and last off-season are separate animals, assuming, as I already stated, we don’t shit the bed. Next year is a contract year for Worthy. He’ll play where he thinks his long-term NFL future is most secure. If he and Ewers start hooking up the long ball, he’s staying.

Worthy is gonna have to learn to hang on to the ball to make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm guessing you think that Whittington will head off into the sunset to get drafted in the 7th round if he stays healthy and has a decent year? Makes sense to me.

Neyor (if healthy) versus a transfer feels like it might be an either/or proposition to me. Just depends on his health, motivation, and the price tag attached to each option.

Worthy, Neyor/transfer, Cain, Thompson, Red, and a strong group of freshmen seems fine, if maybe a little on the young side. I personally wouldn't count on Hall for anything, ever. That's found money if it pans out.

Whittington has already said this is his last year.

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Worthy obviously needs a better NIL deal.  He's driving a C7 Corvette and having to do photoshoots at a gas station.  Although it does look like Exxon is getting their money's worth

image.thumb.png.8aeb5637793ca21c1af7faf5aff3ca27.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Apologize if this has been discussed - what other current 4 stars are expected to get a bump up to 5 star this season? Too early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, Baxter getting the bump at on3 was a foregone conclusion for months. 

Looking at our list, I'd say the most obvious are Cook, although I think he's a composite 5 already. But there's also a chance he moves down. Other than that, Muhammed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, Baxter getting the bump at on3 was a foregone conclusion for months. 

Looking at our list, I'd say the most obvious are Cook, although I think he's a composite 5 already. But there's also a chance he moves down. Other than that, Muhammed. 

No way he moves down..he's been solid so far this season

Roach confidence on remaining targets

Spoiler

The Longhorns sit at 2-1 and are set to enter the conference slate this week with a road game against Texas Tech. On the recruiting trail, Texas still sits at No. 2 nationally with 22 total commits in the class. Though they may be close to finishing up this year’s haul, there are still several important targets out there.

Closing on these big names during the fall can often be a moving target as stocks rise and fall in each recruitment dependent on what any given team involved does. The Texas staff has been able to get off to a strong start in recruiting and filled most of the needs with the commits in this class.

Each player left on the board represents a highly-ranked prospect at an area of need as the Longhorns continue to try and rebuild the current roster. Where do things stand with those targets as we head into the meat of the fall schedule?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we update the confidence board on each target left for the Longhorns.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

I’ve gone back and forth over this one the last few weeks, but the latest intel sounds positive for the Longhorns heading into Hale’s decision on Wednesday. Brennan Marion was out to see him last week and Texas seems to have smashed the official visit when they hosted him for the weekend of the Alabama game. Hale’s proven to be a bit of a wildcard a few times, but I think this is heading in a good direction for the Longhorns when he does make the call.

Confidence: High

Duce Robinson (Photo: Elite 11)

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle

I’m sure the Longhorns would have loved to have Robinson in for the Alabama game, but an act of God made that impossible. I still think Texas has the ability to make a move in this recruitment and really impress on a visit, but the timing does worry me a bit with that prediction. For one, Robinson will likely decide late in the year. If he sticks to that timeline, Texas could still make a move. The other thing that should worry Texas fans is that longtime favorite USC is playing lights out right now and don’t look like they will slow down anytime soon. This one stays where it is until Robinson returns to campus.

Confidence: Medium

Damon Wilson, EDGE, Venice (FL)

Wilson is one of the most in-demand prospects in the country. He’d be a huge win for a Texas program that needs elite talent on the edge, but it’s hard to see that happening until he shows up on campus. The elite pass rusher has schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Miami in the mix along with Texas, and the Longhorns are going to have to pull off something special to land him, in my opinion.

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

The Longhorns did everything they could on their official visit and have some factors in their corner including his sister who currently plays for the Longhorn volleyball team. Combine that with significant need at the position, and Texas looks like they have a lot to offer for Akana. It sounds like his official visit went as well as it could have, and he’s also close with Texas commit Liona Lefau. Still, Akana will play out his process and those other visits are missing data points keeping me from moving on this confidence level.

Confidence: Medium-High

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

As we reported following the Alabama game, Vasek was on campus for an unofficial visit. Though the Longhorns aren’t giving in, Vasek seems pretty locked in to Oklahoma at the moment. Combine that with the whispers we heard this summer that he’d like to get out of Austin, and it looks like it would be a pretty tough task to flip him from the rival Sooners. The only thing the Longhorns can do is recruit him through the whistle and hope to turn the tide.

Confidence: Low

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

David Hicks, DL, Katy Paetow

It’s probably worth taking Hicks off the board at this point, but I’m reminded that at this time last year, Texas looked out of it for several prospects they ended up signing. Do I think that will happen with Hicks? No, but it’s worth keeping tabs on him. He and his family discussed visiting Austin for a game, but they passed on the Alabama weekend which seemed like the most obvious chance for a trip. I still think Oklahoma is the lead dog with Texas A&M pushing for second.

Confidence: Extremely low

Markis Deal, DL, Garland Naaman Forest

If there was a graph for this recruitment, it would show a steady upward trend over the last few months for the Longhorns. After being seemingly out of it, Texas has been able to get Deal on campus a couple of times and the Longhorns could be in the mix for his final official visit. Getting Deal in on an unofficial trip for the Alabama game seemed to be a success, and he raved about what he saw from the Texas defensive line in that matchup. An upcoming trip to Georgia could cause a few worries, but if his timeline continues to play out the way it has, the Longhorns have the chance to make the last impression.

(Photo: Christopher Stock, 247Sports)

Jordan Hall, DL, Jacksonville (FL) Westside

Like Damon Wilson, Hall is a Florida prospect there has been some buzz around for Texas. The big interior lineman would be quite a haul for Bo Davis, and he’s won recruitments like this in the past. I’d like to see Hall make it to Austin before I can push any confidence in this recruitment, and they are battling some big time programs with long track records of success in his home state.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

It’s no surprise that Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian hit the road immediately and went to see Texas A&M commit Anthony Hill. Like Vasek, the Longhorns aren’t going to go away quietly in this recruitment as they pursue one of the best in the nation. Hill seems pretty locked in with the Aggies who were the long time leader in his recruitment, but he did admit that he wants to keep his options open in case something happens. It could come down to the respective seasons of both schools, but I’d lean toward Hill sticking with his commitment as of now.

Javien Toviano (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Some of the buzz we’ve heard around Toviano would indicate a higher level of confidence, but the mercurial prospect keeps throwing curveballs at those recruiting him. Toviano has been closing ranks recently and keeping everything secretive when it comes to visit plans and interest. We still believe Texas to be in the race here, but Toviano hasn’t been to campus since the spring. If he returns to Austin and things go well, the confidence could rise. As of now, I’d have to play it more cautious given his behavior.

Warren Roberson, S, Red Oak

We are still trying to get an accurate read on where things stand with Roberson, but our initial intel says that Texas just got into this race too late. USC is positioned well with the versatile athlete, and the Trojans are impressing enough on the field to close the deal. Roberson said that he’s working on setting up an official visit with Texas, and that could swing some things if he does make the trip. As of now, we just don’t have enough to register much confidence with him.

ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

COMMENTS
Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple

Harrison-Pilot finds himself in an interesting spot. Had he committed back in June after visiting Austin, I believe he would be in the class. As it stands, the Longhorns look good for Jalen Hale and that would likely eliminate the final receiver spot. Offseason attrition could change the math if numbers improve, but Harrison-Pilot might be too late. Maybe Texas takes him as an athlete with a projection to either side of the ball, but with his spot in flux, it’s hard to get a great read on what might happen with him.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Apologize if this has been discussed - what other current 4 stars are expected to get a bump up to 5 star this season? Too early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

based on the commit list, Cook is a 5* and #29 in composite, so he could get bumped back as guys jump up in the 30-100 range. 247 is low on him having him at #47 currently.

here is his industry comparison - using 247 because they show everyone in one nice picture:

image.thumb.png.5ddc080da3ef070392fc1a5cc340b967.png

Derek Williams is a 5* and #34 in composite - basically any downward movement for him would bump him out of composite 5* territory as he close to that line as is (currently #36 in composite is the last 5*.) he looks funky because he is low variance but he probably loses the 5th star unless everyone bumps him up

image.thumb.png.9dc1ee22630f458fd52a956f8b519ddc.png

Muhammad is just out of 5* composite territory at #38 overall. 247 is the low man here, again. 78 in country.

image.thumb.png.464db165fe8755c7be94e441a8d7334d.png

Baxter is #50 in composite - only getting a bump if Rivals gets on the train (#122/#19 in FL lol)

image.thumb.png.54b63ed4ec4a1ca73fa54e8e99d72cdf.png

Niblett is #74 and probably not getting that bump - too low on rivals and ESPN.

image.thumb.png.527358341e12e15a837f8aadb5d084e0.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1