Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

18 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Roach confidence on remaining targets

Reveal hidden contents

The Longhorns sit at 2-1 and are set to enter the conference slate this week with a road game against Texas Tech. On the recruiting trail, Texas still sits at No. 2 nationally with 22 total commits in the class. Though they may be close to finishing up this year’s haul, there are still several important targets out there.

Closing on these big names during the fall can often be a moving target as stocks rise and fall in each recruitment dependent on what any given team involved does. The Texas staff has been able to get off to a strong start in recruiting and filled most of the needs with the commits in this class.

Each player left on the board represents a highly-ranked prospect at an area of need as the Longhorns continue to try and rebuild the current roster. Where do things stand with those targets as we head into the meat of the fall schedule?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we update the confidence board on each target left for the Longhorns.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

I’ve gone back and forth over this one the last few weeks, but the latest intel sounds positive for the Longhorns heading into Hale’s decision on Wednesday. Brennan Marion was out to see him last week and Texas seems to have smashed the official visit when they hosted him for the weekend of the Alabama game. Hale’s proven to be a bit of a wildcard a few times, but I think this is heading in a good direction for the Longhorns when he does make the call.

Confidence: High

Duce Robinson (Photo: Elite 11)

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle

I’m sure the Longhorns would have loved to have Robinson in for the Alabama game, but an act of God made that impossible. I still think Texas has the ability to make a move in this recruitment and really impress on a visit, but the timing does worry me a bit with that prediction. For one, Robinson will likely decide late in the year. If he sticks to that timeline, Texas could still make a move. The other thing that should worry Texas fans is that longtime favorite USC is playing lights out right now and don’t look like they will slow down anytime soon. This one stays where it is until Robinson returns to campus.

Confidence: Medium

Damon Wilson, EDGE, Venice (FL)

Wilson is one of the most in-demand prospects in the country. He’d be a huge win for a Texas program that needs elite talent on the edge, but it’s hard to see that happening until he shows up on campus. The elite pass rusher has schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Miami in the mix along with Texas, and the Longhorns are going to have to pull off something special to land him, in my opinion.

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

The Longhorns did everything they could on their official visit and have some factors in their corner including his sister who currently plays for the Longhorn volleyball team. Combine that with significant need at the position, and Texas looks like they have a lot to offer for Akana. It sounds like his official visit went as well as it could have, and he’s also close with Texas commit Liona Lefau. Still, Akana will play out his process and those other visits are missing data points keeping me from moving on this confidence level.

Confidence: Medium-High

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

As we reported following the Alabama game, Vasek was on campus for an unofficial visit. Though the Longhorns aren’t giving in, Vasek seems pretty locked in to Oklahoma at the moment. Combine that with the whispers we heard this summer that he’d like to get out of Austin, and it looks like it would be a pretty tough task to flip him from the rival Sooners. The only thing the Longhorns can do is recruit him through the whistle and hope to turn the tide.

Confidence: Low

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

David Hicks, DL, Katy Paetow

It’s probably worth taking Hicks off the board at this point, but I’m reminded that at this time last year, Texas looked out of it for several prospects they ended up signing. Do I think that will happen with Hicks? No, but it’s worth keeping tabs on him. He and his family discussed visiting Austin for a game, but they passed on the Alabama weekend which seemed like the most obvious chance for a trip. I still think Oklahoma is the lead dog with Texas A&M pushing for second.

Confidence: Extremely low

Markis Deal, DL, Garland Naaman Forest

If there was a graph for this recruitment, it would show a steady upward trend over the last few months for the Longhorns. After being seemingly out of it, Texas has been able to get Deal on campus a couple of times and the Longhorns could be in the mix for his final official visit. Getting Deal in on an unofficial trip for the Alabama game seemed to be a success, and he raved about what he saw from the Texas defensive line in that matchup. An upcoming trip to Georgia could cause a few worries, but if his timeline continues to play out the way it has, the Longhorns have the chance to make the last impression.

(Photo: Christopher Stock, 247Sports)

Jordan Hall, DL, Jacksonville (FL) Westside

Like Damon Wilson, Hall is a Florida prospect there has been some buzz around for Texas. The big interior lineman would be quite a haul for Bo Davis, and he’s won recruitments like this in the past. I’d like to see Hall make it to Austin before I can push any confidence in this recruitment, and they are battling some big time programs with long track records of success in his home state.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

It’s no surprise that Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian hit the road immediately and went to see Texas A&M commit Anthony Hill. Like Vasek, the Longhorns aren’t going to go away quietly in this recruitment as they pursue one of the best in the nation. Hill seems pretty locked in with the Aggies who were the long time leader in his recruitment, but he did admit that he wants to keep his options open in case something happens. It could come down to the respective seasons of both schools, but I’d lean toward Hill sticking with his commitment as of now.

Javien Toviano (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Some of the buzz we’ve heard around Toviano would indicate a higher level of confidence, but the mercurial prospect keeps throwing curveballs at those recruiting him. Toviano has been closing ranks recently and keeping everything secretive when it comes to visit plans and interest. We still believe Texas to be in the race here, but Toviano hasn’t been to campus since the spring. If he returns to Austin and things go well, the confidence could rise. As of now, I’d have to play it more cautious given his behavior.

Warren Roberson, S, Red Oak

We are still trying to get an accurate read on where things stand with Roberson, but our initial intel says that Texas just got into this race too late. USC is positioned well with the versatile athlete, and the Trojans are impressing enough on the field to close the deal. Roberson said that he’s working on setting up an official visit with Texas, and that could swing some things if he does make the trip. As of now, we just don’t have enough to register much confidence with him.

ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

COMMENTS
Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple

Harrison-Pilot finds himself in an interesting spot. Had he committed back in June after visiting Austin, I believe he would be in the class. As it stands, the Longhorns look good for Jalen Hale and that would likely eliminate the final receiver spot. Offseason attrition could change the math if numbers improve, but Harrison-Pilot might be too late. Maybe Texas takes him as an athlete with a projection to either side of the ball, but with his spot in flux, it’s hard to get a great read on what might happen with him.

69qw.gif

• Haha 7

It's not personal. I enjoy this kind of thing. You're outstandingly wrong but not at all in doubt. That's the best shit when it happens organically on here. 
In any event, no, you're wrong. You know nothing of how this works these days and your attempt to apply some form of logic to how things will shake down for a guy that knows his worth on the NIL market is laughable and ignorant. But keep going.
The dude can go to a number of places and be assured of PT and highlights. All Lincoln Riley has to do, and sure as we type here, he will do it, is point to what he's doing with Addison this here and that Caleb Williams is still their QB. 
And there is no sophomore regression for Worthy. Hudson Card has no ability to read a field or make decent deep ball throws. Anyone framing it another way has some sort of agenda stanning for Card or simply doesn't know shit about the game. 

remindme! 8 months.

He dropped a Ewers throw vs Alabama as well. We win that game all other things being equal had he caught it.

Also, just outright saying somebody knows nothing about NIL because they don’t agree with your take about the highest bidder and Worthy sometime in the future is absurd. Also, assuming all things are equal last transfer season to this upcoming transfer season with regards to Texas is absurd. Finally, riding Riley’s jock, for any Texas fan, is absurd.

We’ll assess Worthy’s worth and situation at the end of the season.

We’ll assess our WR depth at the end of the season, and, until then, I think you’re wrong.
  • Fuck You 1

It's weird to me reading about needing more receivers. Just casually following all of this, I imagined the safety and WR rooms to be auditoriums. I guess it's because they get more ballyhoo than linemen. 

Worthy comports himself as something of a mercenary on the field. Not any enthusiastic congrats to other players and lots of surly looks after deep passes aren't complete. I hope that's not the future of college football. It's what I dread with NIL.

To be clear, I'm not going Aggie and saying if Worthy doesn't want to hump it and grab pouch he can just get the hell out. I want him on the team. 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Worthy comports himself as something of a mercenary on the field. Not any enthusiastic congrats to other players and lots of surly looks after deep passes aren't complete. I hope that's not the future of college football. It's what I dread with NIL.

A WR who's a huge diva? Must be a brand new NIL issue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

remindme! 8 months.

He dropped a Ewers throw vs Alabama as well. We win that game all other things being equal had he caught it.

Also, just outright saying somebody knows nothing about NIL because they don’t agree with your take about the highest bidder and Worthy sometime in the future is absurd. Also, assuming all things are equal last transfer season to this upcoming transfer season with regards to Texas is absurd. Finally, riding Riley’s jock, for any Texas fan, is absurd.

We’ll assess Worthy’s worth and situation at the end of the season.

We’ll assess our WR depth at the end of the season, and, until then, I think you’re wrong.

you clearly know nothing about NIL, and you prove it with every post you make on the topic.

Flounder Swimming GIF

you don't even contribute to fucking burnt ends and you are out here talking like you are an expert on the topic!

also if you think the 1 drop makes a difference in his actual value at the end of the year, you don't know shit about football either.

assuming all things are equal last transfer season to this upcoming transfer season with regards to Texas is absurd.

the only reason things slow down on the NIL front is if the NCAA legislates it. which we both know they aren't. assuming that Worthy stays this year because Texas ante'd up last year is foolish.

also, you may think Riley is a shit coach, and he absolutely had his weaknesses, but to act like he isn't good at getting offensive players their numbers is lazy. he has literally years of the most efficient offenses in CFB history. he gets his guys his numbers. he is a fucking good offensive coach and mind. don't be lazy or let your orange colored glasses blind you.

it is becoming more and more clear that you leaked over from the football board and you should probably go back over there.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

based on the commit list, Cook is a 5* and #29 in composite, so he could get bumped back as guys jump up in the 30-100 range. 247 is low on him having him at #47 currently.

here is his industry comparison - using 247 because they show everyone in one nice picture:

image.thumb.png.5ddc080da3ef070392fc1a5cc340b967.png

I don't know if it's On3's biggest issue with Cook (they have him the lowest) - but IT's talked about Cook having an issue with drops/concentration.  Assuming that hasn't been a problem this season maybe he gets little bump up on their rankings and secures his 5 star status.

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know if it's On3's biggest issue with Cook (they have him the lowest) - but IT's talked about Cook having an issue with drops/concentration.  Assuming that hasn't been a problem this season maybe he gets little bump up on their rankings and secures his 5 star status.

IT = On3

Einhorn is Finkle

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry said Cook's hands were fine. His issue is that Cook has a bad habit of body catching balls over the middle which leads to drops. 

• Like 1

the only reason things slow down on the NIL front is if the NCAA legislates it. which we both know they aren't. assuming that Worthy stays this year because Texas ante'd up last year is foolish.
also, you may think Riley is a shit coach, and he absolutely had his weaknesses, but to act like he isn't good at getting offensive players their numbers is lazy. he has literally years of the most efficient offenses in CFB history. he gets his guys his numbers. he is a fucking good offensive coach and mind. don't be lazy or let your orange colored glasses blind you.
it is becoming more and more clear that you leaked over from the football board and you should probably go back over there.

CTJ, you used your other account here.

I’m not assuming NIL slows down. I agree Riley is a good offensive coach. I think Sark is too but it remains to be seen if he’s a great head coach…so far so good this season. We know you/CTJ think Sark is a fraud.

This is where the Worthy stuff, and making assumptions about 8 months from now, is madness. We could end up a 10+ win and borderline playoff team. We could also end up at 7-5. Likewise, USC could be a mirage. They’ve played nobody.

Worthy doesn’t jump ship to USC just due to dollars if we’re good and they’re mediocre.

Our NIL game is pretty strong. Contract years are also an important consideration.

If Worthy thinks he’s better off elsewhere with regards to the draft, he’ll bolt to the highest bidder. If he thinks he’s good here with regards the draft, he/his agent may ask for more money, but he’ll probably stick around because we’ll pony up something even if it doesn’t match the top bid.

1 hour ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Yes, and if he doesn’t, that NIL lure package won’t be very big. Sophomore season regression can be a real thing.

Glad I am not the only one to think Worthy has regressed a little from last year. Wish we had landed Addison from the portal. Dude is continuing to play at a high level.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

CTJ, you used your other account here.

I’m not assuming NIL slows down. I agree Riley is a good offensive coach. I think Sark is too but it remains to be seen if he’s a great head coach…so far so good this season. We know you/CTJ think Sark is a fraud.

This is where the Worthy stuff, and making assumptions about 8 months from now, is madness. We could end up a 10+ win and borderline playoff team. We could also end up at 7-5. Likewise, USC could be a mirage. They’ve played nobody.

Worthy doesn’t jump ship to USC just due to dollars if we’re good and they’re mediocre.

Our NIL game is pretty strong. Contract years are also an important consideration.

If Worthy thinks he’s better off elsewhere with regards to the draft, he’ll bolt to the highest bidder. If he thinks he’s good here with regards the draft, he/his agent may ask for more money, but he’ll probably stick around because we’ll pony up something even if it doesn’t match the top bid.

i am very much not CTJ, not anywhere close to as fast as he is.

Riley is currently 58-10. he's a fucking good coach. the only people who think he isn't are jilted OU fans and you. he isn't the greatest coach since sliced bread, but to sit here and act like his offense isn't attractive to WRs no matter what is lazy.

Worthy was about to jump ship to USC this last offseason. let's ignore USC in this entire situation, how about Alabama? Ohio State? Georgia? Oregon if you think good teams aren't going to try to recruit good players out of the portal you are out of your mind.

you don't know what you are talking about. go back to the football board, i am sure your shit tier takes go over quite well there. you can go join futureman in my blocked category. you two probably have a lot in common.

for-that-reason-im-out.gif

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

i am very much not CTJ, not anywhere close to as fast as he is.
Riley is currently 58-10. he's a fucking good coach. the only people who think he isn't are jilted OU fans and you. he isn't the greatest coach since sliced bread, but to sit here and act like his offense isn't attractive to WRs no matter what is lazy.
Worthy was about to jump ship to USC this last offseason. let's ignore USC in this entire situation, how about Alabama? Ohio State? Georgia? Oregon if you think good teams aren't going to try to recruit good players out of the portal you are out of your mind.
you don't know what you are talking about. go back to the football board, i am sure your shit tier takes go over quite well there. you can go join futureman in my blocked category. you two probably have a lot in common.
for-that-reason-im-out.gif

Go back and read what I wrote. I agree that Riley is a good offensive coach. I said nothing about him not being a good head coach. I also said Worthy bolts to the highest bidder if he thinks it’s in his best interest regarding the NFL. However, if he’s a star here still, and we’re continuing to trend toward being a great team, he stays.

Original post was about WR depth, which i still disagree with that take.

If we get Hale, we’re well stocked going forward.

48 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's weird to me reading about needing more receivers. Just casually following all of this, I imagined the safety and WR rooms to be auditoriums. I guess it's because they get more ballyhoo than linemen. 

To be clear, I'm not going Aggie and saying if Worthy doesn't want to hump it and grab pouch he can just get the hell out. I want him on the team. 

Did you miss Worthy hauling ass downfield to ensure Bijan wasn’t caught from behind? I think it’s a win he hasn’t become a malcontent thus far and isn’t showing visible frustration on the field after every missed deep ball from Card. But I think Sark needs to find more ways to get him in space because Riley will have Addison’s production and likely draft selection in addition to money to sell to Worthy.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Did you miss Worthy hauling ass downfield to ensure Bijan wasn’t caught from behind? I think it’s a win he hasn’t become a malcontent thus far and isn’t showing visible frustration on the field after every missed deep ball from Card. But I think Sark needs to find more ways to get him in space because Riley will have Addison’s production and likely draft selection in addition to money to sell to Worthy.

Okay, you and Texifornia carry the day. I hadn't noticed the block or probably other things. I may have been seeing what I was looking for. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure why we’re on this in the 2023 recruiting thread, but I’m less certain than any of you guys that Neyor is at Texas next year. 

For 2023 WR depth purposes, Texas needs to:

-sign 4 guys, if not a 5th in MHP.

-retain Worthy, and that is going to be 7 figures from the NIL machine.

-get Hall to a spot where he’s reliable and vaguely maturing. 

-get Thompson thinking he’s going to contribute this year and be a big part of next year.

-cross your fingers on Neyor.

-retain Cain, Red, and anyone else they think is a player.

-find an impact transfer if you can, and will probably need $250k-$1M depending upon who it is. 

I'd prefer Kyle Parker over MHP as a potential 5th WR in this class.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's not personal. I enjoy this kind of thing. You're outstandingly wrong but not at all in doubt. That's the best shit when it happens organically on here. 

In any event, no, you're wrong. You know nothing of how this works these days and your attempt to apply some form of logic to how things will shake down for a guy that knows his worth on the NIL market is laughable and ignorant. But keep going.

The dude can go to a number of places and be assured of PT and highlights. All Lincoln Riley has to do, and sure as we type here, he will do it, is point to what he's doing with Addison this here and that Caleb Williams is still their QB. 

And there is no sophomore regression for Worthy. Hudson Card has no ability to read a field or make decent deep ball throws. Anyone framing it another way has some sort of agenda stanning for Card or simply doesn't know shit about the game. 

If Sark was UT head coach during the 2020 recruiting cycle, do you think Sark would've still recruited Card? We all know he would've still recruited Milroe in the '21 class & Ewers in the '22 class.

Edited by TheMailBox357

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure why we’re on this in the 2023 recruiting thread, but I’m less certain than any of you guys that Neyor is at Texas next year. 

-get Thompson thinking he’s going to contribute this year and be a big part of next year.

-find an impact transfer if you can, and will probably need $250k-$1M depending upon who it is. 

I don't see where you covered Omeire.

• Haha 4

I am closetojumping. I do not need other handles to reinforce anything I say or do here. You're projecting that because it's probably a tactic you've tried to deploy somewhere in a feeble attempt to make a point or save face. I do not need to do that. closetojumping is all that is needed. Now take your toys that say "replica" on the side of them and fuck off. 

TL:DR beyond the first sentence.

I’m not blaming Worthy for Bama. You rejected my original statement about a possible sophomore season regression, worthy’s year end value, and only talked about inaccurate throws to Worthy from Hudson card. I pointed out he also dropped a good touchdown ball from Ewers vs. Bama.

You really don’t like dissent. I get it.

Remindme! 8 months.

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I don't see where you covered Omeire.

Oh, I covered him and you know it.

8 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I’m not blaming Worthy for Bama. You rejected my original statement about a possible sophomore season regression, worthy’s year end value, and only talked about inaccurate throws to Worthy from Hudson card. I pointed out he also dropped a good touchdown ball from Ewers vs. Bama.

Remindme! 8 months.

1) You read it.

2) I am fine with dissent - informed, insane, something creative or interesting, those kinds of dissenting opinions are great. Ignorant dissent is best simply stomped on and dismissed, as it's generally unproductive due to the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which you're displaying in exemplary fashion. So whine all you want about being squashed like a bug, but there is good reason for it happening to you.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Where would Neyor go? Can't imagine he gets drafted coming off a torn ACL and he's already used his free transfer.

19 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Remindme! 8 months.

Dude, just take the L.  You're not going to win here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Where would Neyor go? Can't imagine he gets drafted coming off a torn ACL and he's already used his free transfer.

My view is that the transfer portal makes every situation with every player fluid. So, no idea. There's simply a ton of risk that isn't being weighed when I see folks declaratively discussing him for next season. I hope he's back, and I hope it's no big deal, but hope is an empty thing in this kind of discussion.

As it pertains to "free transfers":

1) Neyor is sitting this year out due to medical reasons. I'm sure he could weave that into an exemption.

2) The NCAA was told by the Supreme Court a year ago that they are the rough equivalent of a cartel and were voted against on the issues by a vote of 9-0. I don't think you could unite the SC to vote on something 9-0 in almost any other discussion. The NCAA is terrified of becoming irrelevant and terrified of fighting players. They're going to do very level to limit someone's ability to transfer and play from here forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that the transfer portal makes every situation with every player fluid. So, no idea. There's simply a ton of risk that isn't being weighed when I see folks declaratively discussing him for next season. I hope he's back, and I hope it's no big deal, but hope is an empty thing in this kind of discussion.

1) Neyor is sitting this year out due to medical reasons. I'm sure he could weave that into an exemption.

2) The NCAA was told by the Supreme Court a year ago that they are the rough equivalent of a cartel and were voted against on the issues by a vote of 9-0. I don't think you could unite the SC to vote on something 9-0 in almost any other discussion. The NCAA is terrified of becoming irrelevant and terrified of fighting players. They're going to do very level to limit someone's ability to transfer and play from here forward. 

Not to get in the middle of this discussion, but 9-0 is by far the most common supreme court breakdown, at more than 35%.

Edited by Texas Wahoo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I'd prefer Kyle Parker over MHP as a potential 5th WR in this class.

If Sark was UT head coach during the 2020 recruiting cycle, do you think Sark would've still recruited Card? We all know he would've still recruited Milroe in the '21 class & Ewers in the '22 class.

UT would have Bryce Young

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's fair. So basically nothing specific but just working under the assumption that there are no rules so anyone can be bought away at any time. Hell of a sport the NCAA has created right now

Hopefully Clark Field used that Bama game to get some more big donors on board, sounds like this free agency season will be nuts