Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

13 hours ago, Skipper said:

Fair point.  I don't remember what all happened but do recall we totally pulled it out of our ass.  Sark certainly is due for some luck to fall his way.

We were down like 15 points with less than a minute left and scored a TD, got the 2-point conversion and then scored another TD to tie the game and won it in OT, IIRC.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The kicker part is what kills me.  I swear any team we play could have a kicker that has missed his last 12 attempts in a row prior to playing us and that fucker will drill a 60 yarder with room to spare.  It is quite annoying.  

Ive said the same thing. I can’t remember the last big field goal missed in the last 10 years at DKR. Its unreal accuracy and would love to see the metrics. 

14 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Ive said the same thing. I can’t remember the last big field goal missed in the last 10 years at DKR. Its unreal accuracy and would love to see the metrics. 

Maybe this is why they put the goalposts off center on the new field. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

IT recruiting notebook on WR DeAndre Moore:

Spoiler

Inside Texas takes a closer look at the fit and evaluation for 2023 Los Alamitos (Calif.) St. John Bosco four-star wide receiver DeAndre Moore. 

How he fits at Texas

DeAndre Moore profiles as a speed receiver at 5-foot-11, 189 pounds but he’s an all-around football player. He plays some corner and boundary safety on defense where he’s a physical presence and then brings ball skills and physicality at receiver as well. There’s a lot of Jordan Whittington to his game but he’s a bit smaller and probably faster with sub 11.00 100m times on his resume. Moore could play all of the receiver positions, which is valuable in this offense as they like to move guys around, but he’s probably at his best working underneath on slants and outs where he can win to a spot with speed and physicality and then do work after the catch. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says

Strengths — A well-proportioned frame with solid build in the upper body. Quick, light feet with sure steps out of his stance. Shows good use of hands and leverage to fight of press at the line and contact down the field. Sells the deep ball well with good pad and eye level. Great snap down and moves well into his cut. Excellent balance in and out of breaks. Quite twitchy, with above average acceleration and top end speed. Great lower body explosiveness and competes well for the jump ball. Shows some good elusiveness one on one in the open field. Tries to get north-south in a hurry. Looks to track the ball well and hands look reasonably soft. Highlights at multiple WR positions. Will be a huge catch-and-run weapon. Very good highlights as a DB as well, playing mostly to the boundary. Could see him as a high-range single high safety. Willing tackler.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns — Intermediate routes look rounded off at times (but is exceptional in the short passing game.

How this affects Texas 

Texas has three pledges for 2023 – Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett, Jonah Wilson – and they’d like one more. West Coast talent Moore might fit that role. The 5-foot-11, 190-pounder and former OU commit is looking at a Texas official visit in October, which would be his second trip to Austin. While UT has eyes on Kyle Parker and Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Moore seems to be the staff’s preference to flip. – Justin Wells

Intel

Moore is looking around lately, especially with Louisville’s slide in 2022. High school teammate Pierce Clarkson is also committed to UL, but Moore might be willing to find a better fit for his services. He should be in Austin next month, then this gets real.

IT recruiting notebook on DB Warren Roberson:

Spoiler

Inside Texas takes a look at the fit and evaluation of 2023 Red Oak (Texas) defensive back and Texas target Warren Roberson. 

How Warren Roberson fits at Texas:

Roberson has some definite position flexibility on the back end of a defense. He has good top end speed but what really stands out is how he changes direction and glides around the field with ease. I think Star (nickel) might be his best fit at Texas since he could utilize his size and change of direction skills matching slots, baiting throws from quarterbacks, and mixing in blitzes. – Ian Boyd 

Coach says:

Strengths — Good size for a DB with a muscular upper body. Has obvious functional game strength and his competitiveness is apparent from the film. As a defensive back, he looks good in back pedal or shuffle. Sees the play quickly and triggers. Smooth hip transitions. Arrives ready to rumble. I like that he’s not throwing shoulders around. Generally trying to form tackle and bring some aggression. Catches with soft hands and is looking to score quickly with the ball in his hands. Receiver highlights have some nice examples of stalk blocks. I could see him as an early contributor on specials.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns —  As a WR, route running needs a bit of work and diversity. Profiles more as a DB in my opinion, but best fit may not be obvious at first (I’d say safety).

How this affects Texas:

The Longhorns could use another versatile defensive back in the 2023 class. After Steve Sarkisian watched Roberson in person, the offer was automatic. With Jamel Johnson projected to play safety/nickel at the next level, Roberson would be an excellent fit beside New Iberia (La.) Westgate On3 Consensus five-star and Texas commit Derek Williams. – Justin Wells

Intel:

USC is the early leader with their strong relationship and position as one of the only places Roberson has visited. He holds offers from Texas, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, and is looking at attending a game in Austin in October. His top school list of USC, TCU, Oklahoma St., SMU and Florida could be revised over the next few weeks, with UT looking better.

Roberson is the No. 76 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 rankings. He ranks as the nation’s No. 8 safety and the No. 16 player in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

GH reported a few hours ago that UT has interest in a new in-state prospect: 

Vanderbilt commit TE Ka’Morreun Pimpton from North Crowley. He's been talking to Texas TE/ST coach Jeff Banks. Banks talking about getting him to Austin Saturday for the WVU-UT game.

https://www.on3.com/db/ka'morreun-pimpton-155236/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13711355/KaMorreun-Pimpton

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Vanderbilt commit TE Ka’Morreun Pimpton from North Crowley. He's been talking to Texas TE/ST coach Jeff Banks. Banks talking about getting him to Austin Saturday for the WVU-UT game.

I assume this means the hopes of Duce Robinson are fading faster than a UT 4th quarter lead, but he’s a tall kid with the frame to put on weight, teammate of S’Maje Burrell (who we desperately need to keep), and Jeff Banks is one of our coaches who I trust to evaluate his position group well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

8 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I assume this means the hopes of Duce Robinson are fading faster than a UT 4th quarter lead, but he’s a tall kid with the frame to put on weight, teammate of S’Maje Burrell (who we desperately need to keep), and Jeff Banks is one of our coaches who I trust to evaluate his position group well. 

Nahlin says UT is saving a spot for Duce Robinson regardless of what happens with Pimpton.

29 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Lock for the All-Name Team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

He's a nice looking athlete.  He could turn into something good down the road. 

7 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

IT recruiting notebook on WR DeAndre Moore:

Reveal hidden contents

Inside Texas takes a closer look at the fit and evaluation for 2023 Los Alamitos (Calif.) St. John Bosco four-star wide receiver DeAndre Moore. 

How he fits at Texas

DeAndre Moore profiles as a speed receiver at 5-foot-11, 189 pounds but he’s an all-around football player. He plays some corner and boundary safety on defense where he’s a physical presence and then brings ball skills and physicality at receiver as well. There’s a lot of Jordan Whittington to his game but he’s a bit smaller and probably faster with sub 11.00 100m times on his resume. Moore could play all of the receiver positions, which is valuable in this offense as they like to move guys around, but he’s probably at his best working underneath on slants and outs where he can win to a spot with speed and physicality and then do work after the catch. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says

Strengths — A well-proportioned frame with solid build in the upper body. Quick, light feet with sure steps out of his stance. Shows good use of hands and leverage to fight of press at the line and contact down the field. Sells the deep ball well with good pad and eye level. Great snap down and moves well into his cut. Excellent balance in and out of breaks. Quite twitchy, with above average acceleration and top end speed. Great lower body explosiveness and competes well for the jump ball. Shows some good elusiveness one on one in the open field. Tries to get north-south in a hurry. Looks to track the ball well and hands look reasonably soft. Highlights at multiple WR positions. Will be a huge catch-and-run weapon. Very good highlights as a DB as well, playing mostly to the boundary. Could see him as a high-range single high safety. Willing tackler.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns — Intermediate routes look rounded off at times (but is exceptional in the short passing game.

How this affects Texas 

Texas has three pledges for 2023 – Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett, Jonah Wilson – and they’d like one more. West Coast talent Moore might fit that role. The 5-foot-11, 190-pounder and former OU commit is looking at a Texas official visit in October, which would be his second trip to Austin. While UT has eyes on Kyle Parker and Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Moore seems to be the staff’s preference to flip. – Justin Wells

Intel

Moore is looking around lately, especially with Louisville’s slide in 2022. High school teammate Pierce Clarkson is also committed to UL, but Moore might be willing to find a better fit for his services. He should be in Austin next month, then this gets real.

IT recruiting notebook on DB Warren Roberson:

Reveal hidden contents

Inside Texas takes a look at the fit and evaluation of 2023 Red Oak (Texas) defensive back and Texas target Warren Roberson. 

Roberson has some definite position flexibility on the back end of a defense. He has good top end speed but what really stands out is how he changes direction and glides around the field with ease. I think Star (nickel) might be his best fit at Texas since he could utilize his size and change of direction skills matching slots, baiting throws from quarterbacks, and mixing in blitzes. – Ian Boyd 

Coach says:

Strengths — Good size for a DB with a muscular upper body. Has obvious functional game strength and his competitiveness is apparent from the film. As a defensive back, he looks good in back pedal or shuffle. Sees the play quickly and triggers. Smooth hip transitions. Arrives ready to rumble. I like that he’s not throwing shoulders around. Generally trying to form tackle and bring some aggression. Catches with soft hands and is looking to score quickly with the ball in his hands. Receiver highlights have some nice examples of stalk blocks. I could see him as an early contributor on specials.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns —  As a WR, route running needs a bit of work and diversity. Profiles more as a DB in my opinion, but best fit may not be obvious at first (I’d say safety).

How this affects Texas:

The Longhorns could use another versatile defensive back in the 2023 class. After Steve Sarkisian watched Roberson in person, the offer was automatic. With Jamel Johnson projected to play safety/nickel at the next level, Roberson would be an excellent fit beside New Iberia (La.) Westgate On3 Consensus five-star and Texas commit Derek Williams. – Justin Wells

Intel:

USC is the early leader with their strong relationship and position as one of the only places Roberson has visited. He holds offers from Texas, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, and is looking at attending a game in Austin in October. His top school list of USC, TCU, Oklahoma St., SMU and Florida could be revised over the next few weeks, with UT looking better.

Roberson is the No. 76 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 rankings. He ranks as the nation’s No. 8 safety and the No. 16 player in the state of Texas.

Dark mode:

Spoiler

How he fits at Texas

Coach Says

How this affects Texas 

Intel

Spoiler

Coach says:

How this affects Texas:

Intel:

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/18/2022 at 10:14 PM, Vermin said:

Thanks, I was wondering how aggy went from the penthouse to the outhouse in recruiting in a single offseason.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:30 PM, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I know this is fun, but it’s only July. There’s still time for the alumni to sell their homes, businesses, and children to secure the next class.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, Vermin said:

Signing day is in December and the staff is gonna be busy during the season...

I see on the top 247 composite crystal balls for aggy for David Hicks, Anthony Hill, Dalton Brooks, Adam Hopkins (GA), TJ Shananan, and Johnny Bowens.

Their hit rate is gonna be far from 100% on those players and they still need a lot more players since they only have 5 commits.

1702128328_ScreenShot2022-07-18at9_41_47AM.png.8b689cba02d6a9d30633d12e07588647.png

aggy in their natural habitat, looking up at Temple.

How they doing, @Vermin?

16 minutes ago, C'Mon Man said:

Anyone have Gerry's latest update?

Not much 2023 stuff outside of the TE that he mentioned yesterday that are are evaluating and McCuin.

Only other 2023 note was Burrell isn't enrolling anymore. He is going to play basketball and run track. He says he is locked in and understands the defense turning around is going to take time. Still hears from Utah and Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not much 2023 stuff outside of the TE that he mentioned yesterday that are are evaluating and McCuin.

Only other 2023 note was Burrell isn't enrolling anymore. He is going to play basketball and run track. He says he is locked in and understands the defense turning around is going to take time. Still hears from Utah and Baylor.

Not ideal. Texas needs Burrell to play early and often in the worst way. Being an EE was key to making that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1