Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

From Harris via @Poe It Up

There is also strong buzz coming out of Austin tonight that a 2023 prospect has made a commitment. We have confirmed who it is, but have not been given a go-ahead on entering a Crystal Ball. I can say is that it is a solid addition to the class that I think will help move that 2023 class forward with some steam

Guessing it's Kaiuway.

Edited by texifornia

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

HAHAHAHA

Usually when second-tier programs are top 5 way early in the cycle for obvious contextual reasons, it's time for fun jokes, maybe making a few memes, and enjoying seeing yourself with the LSUs and Ohio States of the world for a month or so before it evens back out.

VtM being completely earnest about it is just so in character for them. Absolutely humorless fan site.

TFB said it was a defensive recruit, so signs point to Ashton Porter

Spoiler

I don’t want to reveal the name yet in case he wants to make an announcement, but Texas is on the verge on adding a very nice commitment in the 2023 class to get the ball rolling there.

It could come as soon as tonight or later this week. This is a Defensive recruit.

Edited by Ill

On 12/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Hornlover said:

Can't decide if he's in the mold of Aidan Hutchinson, or if he's one of those "add 1 loss for a white defensive starter" guys. Hopefully he's the next Brian Robison.

Dean can run and has a nose for the ball. Looks like a player. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Mannings have to LOVE what's happening on the OL recruiting front. We're leaving UGA in the dust on OL recruiting for the '22 class.

Idk how they'll feel about Quinn. Was a major negative before but now that he's reclassified it shouldn't be too bad. A redshirt year is usually good for QBs but they might not want that. Who knows. The positive from Quinn is that he's likely to help attract more talent that Arch will benefit from.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Yeah if I'm Mannings parents I'm loving that my son ow doesn't have the pressure to play as a freshman.  He gets a year or two watching Quinn or can battle Malik.

He also gets to film all the Manning family commercials he wants to and rake in the $10 million he is projected to make

IT Scoop:

2023s Post-Austin Visit

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX): "We can be the ones that change everything and bring back Texas to winning," said Owens. "Starting with us."

The On3 five-star junior running back is no stranger to the recruiting process. Not many kids enjoy it more. After hanging out with coaches Sarkisian, Stan Drayton, and staffer Brandon Harris, Owens tells IT "it's just a great vibe there right now."

He'll be back for the Junior Day event in January.

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX): "I honestly think the new era of Texas Football is about to begin," Cook said. "I love Austin and it was great as always."

One of the top pass-catchers in the 2023 cycle loves him some Longhorns. He's not only fired up for Quinn Ewers, he still talks to Arch Manning on a regular basis.

Cook wants to play with an elite quarterback so the staff helped it’s cause by landing Quinn Ewers on Sunday night.

LB Anthony Hill Jr, Ryan (Denton, TX): "Meeting with Coach Sarkisian, coach Banks, coach PK, and coach Choate was great," said Hill. "The love I received from those guys and coach Chris Gilbert really stood out."

Hill wants to play linebacker at the next level and UT likes him at Mike. At 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, Hill envisions himself in the Patrick Willis mold where he can bulk up his frame and still man the middle of the defense.

Fellow Denton Ryan teammate and UT pledge Austin Jordan is working on this recruitment too. Hill is another top prospect that's visited Austin more times than he can remember.

EDGE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (Cypress, TX): If there's one prospect from 2023 that absolutely loves the Longhorns, it's Porter. He made the trek to Austin on Saturday to catch up with the coaches and hang around some of the top recruits on Saturday. UT leads this one by a mile. Porter says a decision isn't soon, he doesn't want to rush into anything.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

2023s Post-Austin Visit

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX): "We can be the ones that change everything and bring back Texas to winning," said Owens. "Starting with us."

The On3 five-star junior running back is no stranger to the recruiting process. Not many kids enjoy it more. After hanging out with coaches Sarkisian, Stan Drayton, and staffer Brandon Harris, Owens tells IT "it's just a great vibe there right now."

He'll be back for the Junior Day event in January.

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX): "I honestly think the new era of Texas Football is about to begin," Cook said. "I love Austin and it was great as always."

One of the top pass-catchers in the 2023 cycle loves him some Longhorns. He's not only fired up for Quinn Ewers, he still talks to Arch Manning on a regular basis.

Cook wants to play with an elite quarterback so the staff helped it’s cause by landing Quinn Ewers on Sunday night.

LB Anthony Hill Jr, Ryan (Denton, TX): "Meeting with Coach Sarkisian, coach Banks, coach PK, and coach Choate was great," said Hill. "The love I received from those guys and coach Chris Gilbert really stood out."

Hill wants to play linebacker at the next level and UT likes him at Mike. At 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, Hill envisions himself in the Patrick Willis mold where he can bulk up his frame and still man the middle of the defense.

Fellow Denton Ryan teammate and UT pledge Austin Jordan is working on this recruitment too. Hill is another top prospect that's visited Austin more times than he can remember.

EDGE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (Cypress, TX): If there's one prospect from 2023 that absolutely loves the Longhorns, it's Porter. He made the trek to Austin on Saturday to catch up with the coaches and hang around some of the top recruits on Saturday. UT leads this one by a mile. Porter says a decision isn't soon, he doesn't want to rush into anything.

Come hither, Rueben. For good this time. 

Meanwhile, if Porter isn't the '23 defender reportedly about to commit to us, who is it? I hope it's Hill but have no reason to think so. 

10 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

We're leaving UGA in the dust on OL recruiting for the '22 class.

They had tons of highly rated OLs in the '20 and '21 classes.  Not sure how many are redshirting, developing, etc. ... but their classes were good, on paper.  If they pan out, they will be hitting their stride right when Arch joins a college program.

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

In case you don't have the time to spare, it's basically 8 straight minutes of Rueben running 50-99 yard touchdowns. A couple are on broken tackles, but largely he just runs through and around defenders, making them look silly with quick cuts, and then turning on the jets into the endzone.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

In case you don't have the time to spare, it's basically 8 straight minutes of Rueben running 50-99 yard touchdowns. A couple are on broken tackles, but largely he just runs through and around defenders, making them look silly with quick cuts, and then turning on the jets into the endzone.

Jeez. That film is nuts. What classification does he play in? It’s literally just a film of touchdowns. 

Edited by Xminus6

3 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

Jeez. That film is nuts. What classification does he play in? It’s literally just a film of touchdowns. 

He plays at 4A El Campo. The competition isn't the top, but they aren't scrubs either. 

What's crazy is you can go watch his freshman hudl, and it basically looks the same. 

He was the first 2023 recruit Texas invited to a game, and the first with an offer. I've been a huge believer since page 1 of this thread.

13 hours ago, Getafix said:

They had tons of highly rated OLs in the '20 and '21 classes.  Not sure how many are redshirting, developing, etc. ... but their classes were good, on paper.  If they pan out, they will be hitting their stride right when Arch joins a college program.

Yeah I would think 22s matter a lot more though bc they’ll be around basically his whole career. Especially if he takes a redshirt year.