Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

43 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Evans?  Lol Stewart was decided months ago

Missing on Law is the bigger wtf for me, he's asking for any good offense to try him at WR and we have as much playing time to offer there as anyone.  This is where the Coleman handicap is in full effect

Lol I ain’t calling him Stewart he’s Evans to me..

HAHAHAHA
At least aggy made good on one of their delusions, lol.

I'm guessing this is based on the fact we pulled #5 with a new head corch and aggy made it all the way to #1....but ignores the fact aggy was dropping heavy bags and we got a bump from coaches at some high profile programs becoming swingers..

1 hour ago, Don Hornleone said:

Vasek is a straight up terror. If Burke is a take , I see no reason Vasek wouldn’t be one as well.

My Westlake friends think Vasek is better than Burke. They aren’t scouts, of course, just parents of kids they are trying to keep from becoming entitled. 

3 hours ago, Don Hornleone said:

Vasek is a straight up terror. If Burke is a take , I see no reason Vasek wouldn’t be one as well.

Burke is all about frame potential. His shoulder width and arm length are crazy. His frame can comfortably hold more than Vasek.

Vasek is better right now though.

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Burke is all about frame potential. His shoulder width and arm length are crazy. His frame can comfortably hold more than Vasek.

Vasek is better right now though.

That is a legit concern. Vasek is the more athletic of the 2. He has always been skinny. There is probably some questions to how much weight he can put on 

12 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I really think Owens is the best Texas HS RB since Jamaal Charles.  He's fast and shifty but it's his vision, his awareness of what's happening everywhere around him, that makes him special. Jonathan Gray was in this class until he got injured.

Benson in 2001, Peterson in 2004, and Charles in 2005 . Those three, plus J Gray, are the best in the last 20 years.

The main difference with Owens is he plays in a lower division than any of those four (Gray and Peterson both played 4A, back when it was the second largest division). Will that ultimately make a difference? I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Benson in 2001, Peterson in 2004, and Charles in 2005 . Those three, plus J Gray, are the best in the last 20 years.

The main difference with Owens is he plays in a lower division than any of those four (Gray and Peterson both played 4A, back when it was the second largest division). Will that ultimately make a difference? I doubt it.

Pretty sure Palestine was 3A when Peterson was there but I could be wrong

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Pretty sure Palestine was 3A when Peterson was there but I could be wrong

I thought the same thing but he's right, they were 4A. Just not very good.

https://www.uiltexas.org/historical-archives/athletics/archives/football/playoff_brackets/03_04/4Afb.pdf

Lost 20-19 in the first round his senior year

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I really think Owens is the best Texas HS RB since Jamaal Charles.  He's fast and shifty but it's his vision, his awareness of what's happening everywhere around him, that makes him special. Jonathan Gray was in this class until he got injured.

I don't think Gray was ever as good as Owens.  Owens is a generational talent and behind any decent line wins the Heisman.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I don't think Gray was ever as good as Owens.  Owens is a generational talent and behind any decent line wins the Heisman.

Gray was the #6 overall prospect in the nation. He was absolutely incredible before he tore his achilles

Edited by cashman

3 minutes ago, cashman said:

Gray was the #6 overall prospect in the nation. He was absolutely incredible before he tore his achilles

He was very good but - IMO - a little overrated pre achilles.  Not even close to incredible.   I saw him play a lot at Aledo, just as I have seen Owens many times as El Campo.   Owens is absolutely incredible.  He accumulates these numbers while sharing carries all three years.  He hasn't even played his senior year.   He's a jaw-dropping talent.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gray was an OK college back.  He had good, not great athleticism.  He was reasonably productive before the injury.  He was nothing special at all.  He could be counted on to run  himself into a tackle 1 to 3 times a game.  At times he just made horribad cutting decisions... head scratching ones.  He had mediocre instincts.  He was way overrated as a HS prospect.