Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

20 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Vasek’s dad never put on weight in college.

Okay, asshole, now I’m trying to remember. Was his dad the fat punter in the 90’s? 

6 hours ago, cafe society said:

I don't think Gray was ever as good as Owens.  Owens is a generational talent and behind any decent line wins the Heisman.

I want Owens too, but remember that people were calling Zac Evans a generational talent just two years ago. Here’s hoping that you’re closer to the mark with these comments, provided Owens lands at Texas. 

With Choice in as the RBC and NIL maturing quickly and Bijan already making a bunch of money, I feel like Texas should absolutely land Owens for good. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

Gray was an OK college back.  He had good, not great athleticism.  He was reasonably productive before the injury.  He was nothing special at all.  He could be counted on to run  himself into a tackle 1 to 3 times a game.  At times he just made horribad cutting decisions... head scratching ones.  He had mediocre instincts.  He was way overrated as a HS prospect. 

Yeah, this. There is a lot of revisionist history with Gray, that he was Bijan-like prior to the injury. He was not. Closer to say Hodges Mitchell. 

5 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Worth reading?

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning has already switched his focus from football season to basketball, where he plays forward for the Greenies, who are off to an 11-4 start.

But the Five-Star+ football prospect and No. 1 overall player in the class of 2023 will lead the most-watched recruitment of any prospect in the internet recruiting era over the next year.

This fall, Manning took game day visits to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Texas and Ole Miss. That group has been considered his unofficial “top five,” though a new program could enter the mix. Manning told On3’s Joe Tipton Oklahoma, which just hired Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby, could be a school he’s open to.

“I’m open to everywhere,” Manning said recently at the City of Palms basketball tournament. “I haven’t narrowed anything down so I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

Quinn Ewers’ transfer to Texas won’t affect Arch Manning’s decision 

The Sooners’ arch rival, Texas, has been considered the leader to land Manning at different points because of his relationship with head coach Steve Sarkisian. The two first connected when Sarkisian was at Alabama, and their bond has only grown since then. But the Longhorns pulled off a huge coup by landing 2022 No. 1 overall prospect Quinn Ewers after he transferred from Ohio State a few weeks ago.

Ewers is expected to compete for the starting spot this spring and would have a minimum of two years of eligibility remaining with the Longhorns. Manning said that won’t affect his decision on whether he ends up in Austin, though.

“I think there are going to be good players everywhere,” Manning said. “You can’t really look at it based off other players and depth charts. I think you just have to find the best place for you. … He’s a really good player. I stay in touch with him. He’s a good guy. I’m excited to see what he can do this year and hear all about it.”

Ole Miss remains in contention

Despite Lebby’s departure for Oklahoma under new head coach Brent Venables, Manning said Ole Miss is still a school he is very much considering. He has built a good relationship with head coach Lane Kiffin and has obvious family ties with his dad, uncle Eli, and grandfather all playing for the Rebels.

“He’s a really smart coach and got Ole Miss going this year,” Manning said of Kiffin.” I’m excited to see them in the Sugar Bowl, I’m going to go to that game.”

The Rebels have made themselves into a real threat for his services, even while fighting against the likes of Clemson, Georgia, Alabama and Texas. Manning is expected to take another round of visits to at least some of his finalists this spring before ultimately making a decision. That is likely to include a trip back to Texas, where he can connect with Ewers.

“I’ll definitely ask him all the questions I can,” Manning said. “But no, I don’t think him going there affects me at all. There are good players everywhere and he’s obviously a really good player. You just have to go in and do your job.”

As for when that commitment will happen, only time will tell. Quarterbacks tend to commit earlier in the recruiting cycle to help recruit offensive talent around them. But Manning and his camp have kept a very tight lid on where he might want to commit and when. And he reiterated that.

“I’m not really looking to make a decision any time soon because of all the stuff that goes on,” Manning said. “Changes with coaches and everything, it’s been crazy.” 

• Hook 'Em 2

IT Scoop:

MORE SCOOP (9:53am):

Texas suddenly looks better for 2023 On3 consensus four-star RB Javin Simpkins this morning.

The 5-foot-8, 175-pounder from Norland (Miami) recently de-committed from Georgia Tech after Tashard Choice left for USC. Now, with Choice ATX bound, UT looks pretty good.

“Coach Choice coming is just an addition to me being more interested in the program,” Simpkins tells IT, about the Longhorns.

“I was making a top 7 soon and Texas was already in it,” said Simpkins. “Coach Choice coming (to Austin) doesn’t do anything but boost Texas higher on the list.”

He’ll drop his top schools list soon and hopes to learn more about Texas. UT offered the four-star last summer.

https://247sports.com/player/javin-simpkins-46114256/

No sunshine...

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I want Owens too, but remember that people were calling Zac Evans a generational talent just two years ago. Here’s hoping that you’re closer to the mark with these comments, provided Owens lands at Texas. 

With Choice in as the RBC and NIL maturing quickly and Bijan already making a bunch of money, I feel like Texas should absolutely land Owens for good. 

Manning should play into this as well if that's still a feasible possibility for us. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Manning should play into this as well if that's still a feasible possibility for us. 

At one point, the word was that Ewers and Manning would not be heading to the same school. Given changes in Ewers' class, I'm not sure how true or false that line of thinking is anymore. I also don't believe that anyone else really knows either. If Ewers is amazeballs in the spring and fall, which way does that even matter to Manning? I know I won't be surprised in anything Manning does at this point. He could commit in the spring to anyone or wait until SD1 next year and neither would shock me right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Roach

Spoiler

— Five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell is the biggest name left on the market for the Longhorns. Texas is still throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Arlington Bowie prospect in hopes of capping off their 2022 class with a huge cherry in February, and the Longhorns still sit in a very favorable position. One potential hurdle for Texas could be the number of offensive linemen they already have on board in this class. A source close to Campbell mentioned to me over the weekend that he's talked about the large number and it's been mentioned to him by other coaches. I don't believe Campbell fears competing with anyone, but it's interesting that this subject is coming up. We will see Campbell up close at the Under Armour All-American Game next week.

— I'm still not sure where the recruitment of Omari Abor sits with Texas and I'm not sure he is either. After talking to a source at Duncanville on Saturday, Abor does seem to have some interest in the Longhorns, but even those closest to him felt it came out of nowhere. Ohio State has been the dominant team in this recruitment for so long, it's a surprise to those close with him when a new team emerges. If Abor is serious about Texas, he will use an official visit in January to see Austin. Until that time, there will be some skepticism regarding his level of interest. Duncanville lost on Saturday, so I didn't get to speak with him after the game. I did get to speak to his parents after who were just as surprised about the Texas news as anyone. We will continue to monitor.

Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

— I spoke to a source that confirmed there has been some back and forth between Texas and Pittsburgh wide receiver coach Brennan Marion. Marion is one of the hottest assistants on the market this year, and I've been told he has significant interest in the Texas job. The only thing that would stop him from taking it is if he were offered an offensive coordinator position. Marion is supposed to meet with Pat Narduzzi about his open coordinator position, and I'm told he's also been approached by Stan Drayton regarding the same role at Temple. Marion is the creator of the Go-Go offense and wants to implement it at the major levels. If he can't find the opportunity to do that this year, Texas might have their man.  Sarkisian would likely need to give him some titles to get him to Austin.

— Five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell is the biggest name left on the market for the Longhorns. Texas is still throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Arlington Bowie prospect in hopes of capping off their 2022 class with a huge cherry in February, and the Longhorns still sit in a very favorable position. One potential hurdle for Texas could be the number of offensive linemen they already have on board in this class. A source close to Campbell mentioned to me over the weekend that he's talked about the large number and it's been mentioned to him by other coaches. I don't believe Campbell fears competing with anyone, but it's interesting that this subject is coming up. We will see Campbell up close at the Under Armour All-American Game next week.

— I'm still not sure where the recruitment of Omari Abor sits with Texas and I'm not sure he is either. After talking to a source at Duncanville on Saturday, Abor does seem to have some interest in the Longhorns, but even those closest to him felt it came out of nowhere. Ohio State has been the dominant team in this recruitment for so long, it's a surprise to those close with him when a new team emerges. If Abor is serious about Texas, he will use an official visit in January to see Austin. Until that time, there will be some skepticism regarding his level of interest. Duncanville lost on Saturday, so I didn't get to speak with him after the game. I did get to speak to his parents after who were just as surprised about the Texas news as anyone. We will continue to monitor.

— I heard some more feedback on new Texas running back coach Tashard Choice over the weekend. I spoke to someone who worked with Choice previously and raved about him. When I asked what stood out most about Choice, I was told it was his entire energy. This person told me Choice was a big juice guy who radiated a lot of positivity. He feels Choice is a go-getter on the recruiting trail and can evaluate running backs as well as anyone. This person also spoke highly of his coaching ability and praised the fact that Choice always seems to be learning. I haven't talked with anyone yet who dislikes the move Sarkisian made there.

17 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If Ewers is as good as advertised, he'll only be here two years. The only overlap with Manning would be his redshirt freshman year. Timing works out well.

You never know. High profile draft prospects sometimes returned to school for another year before NIL. 

14 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If Ewers is as good as advertised, he'll only be here two years. The only overlap with Manning would be his redshirt freshman year. Timing works out well.

This is the best case scenario for Texas fans, so no harm or surprise in thinking it.

That considered, there are at least these variables:

1) How good is Ewers?

2) How interested is Manning & Co. if Ewers is really good? (will they feel certain that unlocks PT for AM as a redshirt freshman?)

3) How interested is Manning & Co. if Ewers isn't really good? (does Ewers not looking good cast a pall on Sarkisian for them?)

4) What does the depth chart look like at other schools vying for Manning & Co.?

5) See points 2 & 3 for Manning & Co. regarding QBs at the other schools. 

6) How strong is the promise of NIL at UT for Manning versus the competition? Brand is destiny for that family. 

There's probably a lot of other stuff in play as well, but who in the fuck knows what any of the answers to items 1-6 do to Manning & Co.'s decision-making process.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Texas is still throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Arlington Bowie prospect in hopes of capping off their 2022 class with a huge cherry in February, and the Longhorns still sit in a very favorable position. One potential hurdle for Texas could be the number of offensive linemen they already have on board in this class.

Poor Roach. He just wanders through these things earnestly trying to figure out what’s going on, but is just clueless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can see a scenario, if Ewers’ transfer was indeed some amount a consequential part for causing the o-line windfall and altering the perceived recruiting direction of the program, that without Ewers coming to Texas, you definitely don’t get Arch later.  I think a QB like Arch, who envisions very little bench development, wants there to be linemen already on campus developing and capable of solid protection when he takes his first snaps.  
But what do I know?

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the best case scenario for Texas fans, so no harm or surprise in thinking it.

That considered, there are at least these variables:

1) How good is Ewers?

2) How interested is Manning & Co. if Ewers is really good? (will they feel certain that unlocks PT for AM as a redshirt freshman?)

3) How interested is Manning & Co. if Ewers isn't really good? (does Ewers not looking good cast a pall on Sarkisian for them?)

4) What does the depth chart look like at other schools vying for Manning & Co.?

5) See points 2 & 3 for Manning & Co. regarding QBs at the other schools. 

6) How strong is the promise of NIL at UT for Manning versus the competition? Brand is destiny for that family. 

There's probably a lot of other stuff in play as well, but who in the fuck knows what any of the answers to items 1-6 do to Manning & Co.'s decision-making process.

No clue obviously on 1-5, but I'm not worried about #6. It's already a topic and at this point they may already have things generally put together knowing he could commit in the next few months (although I think it sounds like he will wait longer now). If this really comes down to $$$, branding, and exposure, he wont be able to afford to not come here. Its gonna be obscene, and I do worry a bit about a kid being under that kind of pressure.  

7 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

No clue obviously on 1-5, but I'm not worried about #6. It's already a topic and at this point they may already have things generally put together knowing he could commit in the next few months (although I think it sounds like he will wait longer now). If this really comes down to $$$, branding, and exposure, he wont be able to afford to not come here. Its gonna be obscene, and I do worry a bit about a kid being under that kind of pressure.  

I'm not couching any of those variables as areas of concern. They're merely variables. There is no certainty for #6, either, simply because we don't know who the final competition is and what Manning & Co. are willing to assume about any of the perceived packages. If Alabama brings a $5million/year NIL deal with Coke to the table that Coke will not back for any other school, you can't tell me that that doesn't at least enter the equation regarding the final decision.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not couching any of those variables as areas of concern. They're merely variables. There is no certainty for #6, either, simply because we don't know who the final competition is and what Manning & Co. are willing to assume about any of the perceived packages. If Alabama brings a $5million/year NIL deal with Coke to the table that Coke will not back for any other school, you can't tell me that that doesn't at least enter the equation regarding the final decision.

I feel like Coke would back UGA.

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO, I don't think the family is against him redshirting as both of his uncles have at their respective colleges. Although times are a lot different now. 

Peyton started as a true freshman due to injuries to the guys ahead of him, the second one went on to a pretty notable baseball career. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is the part that seems strange to me. Technically no one is supposed to be even talking to to them about potential deals right? What Ive heard is the Mannings already understand there's significant corporate interest in Arch. But I doubt Nationwide is going to give him the same amount of $$$ at Ole Miss as they would Texas. Or maybe thats a false assumption? Ive just gotten signals that the Mannings are well aware that Texas is likely to be the most business friendly environment for him, and that Georgia checks similar boxes. Then I think it turns in to who will develop him and get him ready to get drafted as high as possible. I also was told a really prominent A&M booster was a part of this conversation, and the Mannings politely told them no thanks, but that our guys think our position was galvanized by those conversations because it reinforced how valuable the metro areas in Texas are in comparison to the other options. Funny enough, that same aggie would be involved in a lot of this stuff anyways should Arch choose to come here. Thats a pretty good clue of who Im referring to. This guy also has more power in his fingernail than the entirety of the NCAA, hence why a&m laughs at the notion of getting in trouble for what they're doing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

This is the part that seems strange to me. Technically no one is supposed to be even talking to to them about potential deals right? What Ive heard is the Mannings already understand there's significant corporate interest in Arch. But I doubt Nationwide is going to give him the same amount of $$$ at Ole Miss as they would Texas. Or maybe thats a false assumption? Ive just gotten signals that the Mannings are well aware that Texas is likely to be the most business friendly environment for him, and that Georgia checks similar boxes. Then I think it turns in to who will develop him and get him ready to get drafted as high as possible. I also was told a really prominent A&M booster was a part of this conversation, and the Mannings politely told them no thanks, but that our guys think our position was galvanized by those conversations because it reinforced how valuable the metro areas in Texas are in comparison to the other options. Funny enough, that same aggie would be involved in a lot of this stuff anyways should Arch choose to come here. Thats a pretty good clue of who Im referring to. This guy also has more power in his fingernail than the entirety of the NCAA, hence why a&m laughs at the notion of getting in trouble for what they're doing. 

I knew I didn't trust that damned beaver!

spacer.png

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

For the Vasek fans. 

Sounds like the concern is whether he's athletically topped out, especially since his dad is a coach, versus whether he's good at football

Odd. He is a higher end athlete, than Burke who will be a 4 star. If you poll Westlake fans, you will likely have the majority say Vasek is better. I can see a debate on how much can his frame hold. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I stand corrected but reading up it doesn’t sound like that went well at all. 

I think the plan was to redshirt Peyton his freshman year but injuries forced him into action and he certainly took his lumps early on. By the end of the season you could start to see that he was going to be good, though. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Isn't Heroin bigger with the kids these days

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

I also was told a really prominent A&M booster was a part of this conversation, and the Mannings politely told them no thanks, but that our guys think our position was galvanized by those conversations because it reinforced how valuable the metro areas in Texas are in comparison to the other options. Funny enough, that same aggie would be involved in a lot of this stuff anyways should Arch choose to come here. Thats a pretty good clue of who Im referring to. This guy also has more power in his fingernail than the entirety of the NCAA, hence why a&m laughs at the notion of getting in trouble for what they're doing. 

You can just tag him here... @immamac

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1