Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

10 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tom Herman makes sense. I think they have a decent relationship and the system wouldn't change much 

His offense would work at Georgia. I wonder how much it has evolved though. The power spread is becoming a bit dated now. 

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

His offense would work at Georgia. I wonder how much it has evolved though. The power spread is becoming a bit dated now. 

I'm sure Stettson Bennett, JT Daniels, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton, and potentially Arch Manning are all lining up to run QB power 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm sure Stettson Bennett, JT Daniels, Brock Vandagriff, Gunner Stockton, and potentially Arch Manning are all lining up to run QB power 

Gunner fits is well from my brief viewing of him. The rest would run to the hills. Not to mention Kirby is never going to throw it around yard. His formula is to play defense, run the ball,  and out-recruit people. Gallieo thinks the Pope is more forward thinking than Kirby. 

After moving from Finland to the U.S., Olaus Alinen has become a national recruit

Chad Simmons•about 1 hour

If you don’t know the name Olaus Alinen, and you love college football recruiting, then it is one you want to know.

After moving over to the United States from Finland in January 2021, recruiting has taken off for the junior offensive tackle.

Michigan was first to offer in May of 2020, so it started early. Things have really picked up the last few months.

After adding offers from Duke, Houston, Miami, Ohio State, and USC in recent weeks, the 6-foot-6, 311-pound offensive tackle now has exactly three dozen offers.

“It is a great feeling to see all of this happening for me,” Olaus told On3. “I have worked hard, I think I had a good junior season, and all the offers are great.

“Football is a game I love, and to have these opportunities is a great feeling.”

With his schedule at The Loomis Chaffee School in Connecticut, Alinen was not able to get out much in the fall. He is planning to use this spring and summer as the time to explore his options.

“I want to make a lot happen later this year. It will start during spring break in March, then the summer, when my family is able to come over from Finland, it will be full of visits.

“I want my family to see as many schools as they can with me, so it will be a big spring break for me, then me and my family will hit the road a lot in the summer.”

Nothing is scheduled yet in terms of visits. That is something Alinen will be working on in the coming weeks as he prepares for travels over spring break.

Alabama set the bar high for Alinen

Over Thanksgiving break, Alinen was able to take a visit to Alabama. He went over to Tuscaloosa for a tour, he met some of the coaches, and he was on campus as the Crimson Tide prepared to play Georgia in the SEC Championship game.

The visit could not have gone much better.

“I really enjoyed my time at Alabama and it was a great experience for me,” Alinen said. “I got to see a lot of what Alabama is, I met coach Nick Saban, and everything was almost perfect.

“The mentality at Alabama really stuck out to me. I love how coach Saban and the team think. It is about perfection over there. Alabama always wants to be the best, and that is how I think as well.”

That visit to Alabama put the Crimson Tide on top of Alinen’s list.

“I am still open, and I am looking around a lot, but Alabama is No. 1 right now. You can call Alabama my leader.

“What they do, how they do it, and the coaches there make it a top school for me. It is a school I hope to visit again.”

Florida made a big impression on Alinen

After visiting Alabama before Thanksgiving, the star lineman made the trip to the Swamp right after the holiday. He was there for the Florida State game, and although there has been a coaching change since the visit, the Gators are still on Alinen’s radar.

“The visit to Florida really helped me,” Alinen said. “I got to see the school, I saw what it was like at a game, and the experience overall was great.

“I liked Florida as a school before the visit, and getting to see an SEC game-day was great.”

Billy Napier is a new head coach Alinen is looking forward to learning more about. The coaching change does not change how he feels about Florida.

“Florida is a great school. It has great football, the academics are strong, and it is a top five public school in the country. Florida is still a school I like a lot.”

Other national powers are on Alinen’s radar

New offers are coming in on a regular basis for the talented junior. He is going to work on scheduling visits in the coming weeks for when he hits the road early in the spring.

He knows some schools he’s like to check out.

“Miami, USC, Penn State, Ohio State, and Texas are some I have interest in visiting,” Alinen said. “All are great schools with history, each offers a great education, and I have interest in all of those schools.”

Alinen expanded a little on why each of those schools is on his radar.

“Miami recently offered and I really like coach Cristobal and coach Mirabal. They have been recruiting me for almost two years now, they were one of the first to offer me, and I will definitely be visiting Miami.

“USC is similar. They offered not too long ago. I love what coach Riley is about and the attention he is getting in the media is great. The staff he is bringing in is impressive too.

“Ohio State and Penn State are great programs with tradition. The coaching staffs are great, they have produced offensive linemen, and both schools are high for me.

“Texas is a huge school with a huge brand. If you play at Texas, you are on a huge stage with great opportunities. I really like coach Flood too.”

Alinen is looking to visit double-digit schools between March and June.

What will be Alinen be searching for on his visits?

There is no commitment timeline for Alinen. He is just waiting for that feeling. The visits will play a big role in his decision.

“I need my family with me to make this decision,” Alinen said. “It is about that family feel for me. That is very important to me.

“These visits will show me where I feel most comfortable. I want to be around great people, strong coaches, and get a great education. Fitting in will be very important to me, so the visits I take will be a big part of my commitment.”

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

After moving from Finland to the U.S., Olaus Alinen has become a national recruit

If you don’t know the name Olaus Alinen, and you love college football recruiting, then it is one you want to know.

After moving over to the United States from Finland in January 2021, recruiting has taken off for the junior offensive tackle.

Michigan was first to offer in May of 2020, so it started early. Things have really picked up the last few months.

After adding offers from Duke, Houston, Miami, Ohio State, and USC in recent weeks, the 6-foot-6, 311-pound offensive tackle now has exactly three dozen offers.

“It is a great feeling to see all of this happening for me,” Olaus told On3. “I have worked hard, I think I had a good junior season, and all the offers are great.

“Football is a game I love, and to have these opportunities is a great feeling.”

With his schedule at The Loomis Chaffee School in Connecticut, Alinen was not able to get out much in the fall. He is planning to use this spring and summer as the time to explore his options.

“I want to make a lot happen later this year. It will start during spring break in March, then the summer, when my family is able to come over from Finland, it will be full of visits.

“I want my family to see as many schools as they can with me, so it will be a big spring break for me, then me and my family will hit the road a lot in the summer.”

Nothing is scheduled yet in terms of visits. That is something Alinen will be working on in the coming weeks as he prepares for travels over spring break.

Over Thanksgiving break, Alinen was able to take a visit to Alabama. He went over to Tuscaloosa for a tour, he met some of the coaches, and he was on campus as the Crimson Tide prepared to play Georgia in the SEC Championship game.

“I really enjoyed my time at Alabama and it was a great experience for me,” Alinen said. “I got to see a lot of what Alabama is, I met coach Nick Saban, and everything was almost perfect.

“The mentality at Alabama really stuck out to me. I love how coach Saban and the team think. It is about perfection over there. Alabama always wants to be the best, and that is how I think as well.”

“I am still open, and I am looking around a lot, but Alabama is No. 1 right now. You can call Alabama my leader.

“What they do, how they do it, and the coaches there make it a top school for me. It is a school I hope to visit again.”

After visiting Alabama before Thanksgiving, the star lineman made the trip to the Swamp right after the holiday. He was there for the Florida State game, and although there has been a coaching change since the visit, the Gators are still on Alinen’s radar.

“The visit to Florida really helped me,” Alinen said. “I got to see the school, I saw what it was like at a game, and the experience overall was great.

“I liked Florida as a school before the visit, and getting to see an SEC game-day was great.”

Billy Napier is a new head coach Alinen is looking forward to learning more about. The coaching change does not change how he feels about Florida.

“Florida is a great school. It has great football, the academics are strong, and it is a top five public school in the country. Florida is still a school I like a lot.”

New offers are coming in on a regular basis for the talented junior. He is going to work on scheduling visits in the coming weeks for when he hits the road early in the spring.

“Miami, USC, Penn State, Ohio State, and Texas are some I have interest in visiting,” Alinen said. “All are great schools with history, each offers a great education, and I have interest in all of those schools.”

“Miami recently offered and I really like coach Cristobal and coach Mirabal. They have been recruiting me for almost two years now, they were one of the first to offer me, and I will definitely be visiting Miami.

“USC is similar. They offered not too long ago. I love what coach Riley is about and the attention he is getting in the media is great. The staff he is bringing in is impressive too.

“Ohio State and Penn State are great programs with tradition. The coaching staffs are great, they have produced offensive linemen, and both schools are high for me.

“Texas is a huge school with a huge brand. If you play at Texas, you are on a huge stage with great opportunities. I really like coach Flood too.”

There is no commitment timeline for Alinen. He is just waiting for that feeling. The visits will play a big role in his decision.

“I need my family with me to make this decision,” Alinen said. “It is about that family feel for me. That is very important to me.

“These visits will show me where I feel most comfortable. I want to be around great people, strong coaches, and get a great education. Fitting in will be very important to me, so the visits I take will be a big part of my commitment.”

Any relation to Tyseer Denmark?

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I believe he’s there looking for the next Vontez Duff, sir. 

So is their coaching staff. Good luck with that. 

Bob Davie and Notre Dame completely wasted that guy's insane talent. As Mack would have done with Griffin, who would have been a terrible defensive player. His affinity for contact ranks up there with Deion Sanders'. 

Edited by Tex Pete

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fucking spoilers motherfucker 

23 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's been a standard part of recruiting since Sumlin pioneered the Swagcopter. At this point everyone does it.

I was thinking about this and thinking that the cost of the helicopter is offset by the fact that we're not paying Sark to sit in traffic.

Let's say Sark makes six million dollars per year and works 3000 hours.  That means you're paying him two thousand dollars per hour.  I don't know what a helicopter costs to operate but I would guess that UT has a pretty good deal on theirs. My guess is that its probably actually a better use of the dollars you're paying Sark to run that helicopter than to pay him two thousand dollars per hour to sit in traffic. Plus there's the impact on recruits when you land at their place in one.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I was thinking about this and thinking that the cost of the helicopter is offset by the fact that we're not paying Sark to sit in traffic.

Let's say Sark makes six million dollars per year and works 3000 hours.  That means you're paying him two thousand dollars per hour.  I don't know what a helicopter costs to operate but I would guess that UT has a pretty good deal on theirs. My guess is that its probably actually a better use of the dollars you're paying Sark to run that helicopter than to pay him two thousand dollars per hour to sit in traffic. Plus there's the impact on recruits when you land at their place in one.

If the dude is only working a 58 hour week, he needs to be fired right now. I mean right now. 

Regarding the chopper, just like the planes, the oft-incorrectly hated on boosters will give access to such things for this kind of stuff all of the time. I have a friend with a helicopter and 2 turbo-prop planes. He does wel but he’s not a BMD level guy. He loves UT but he’s not a booster or anything. Anyway, he does work for good causes or things he believes in with those 3 vehicles whenever he’s asked. I imagine it’s even easier for the BMDs since they can also write elements of it off. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1