Ro Jo should starts

Zavala

I remember the first series RoJo came in vs. LT and a second or third down - obvious passing situation - where I was waiting for him to be ldo motioned out of the backfield where he might be useful.  He stayed in, I thought to myself 'this is stupid' as the ball was snapped - then he actively stepped into the hole and aggressively made contact to stonewall a blitzer and I had to apologize to all concerned.  Won the play pretty handily.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before - a third string quarterback, pass-blocking with will, confidence, and pretty good technique and power.  He's going to be a very valuable player.  

• Like 1

I remember the first series RoJo came in vs. LT and a second or third down - obvious passing situation - where I was waiting for him to be ldo motioned out of the backfield where he might be useful.  He stayed in, I thought to myself 'this is stupid' as the ball was snapped - then he actively stepped into the hole and aggressively made contact to stonewall a blitzer and I had to apologize to all concerned.  Won the play pretty handily.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before - a third string quarterback, pass-blocking with will, confidence, and pretty good technique and power.  He's going to be a very valuable player.  

I wonder if being a qb helps with blitz pickups. He seems pretty damn good at it.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I wonder if being a qb helps with blitz pickups. He seems pretty damn good at it.

Knowing protections prob helps, but running backs know these also.  U just have to be a fucking man to step into a blitzing LB barreling down on you.  RoJo is a man. 

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah and it's probably helping because he knows why it's important. For the loose guy to get by the RB sucks shit for the QB. Ro Jo is a beast. I love Ingram too, but it just seems like Ro is such a gamer he just plays better and doesn't think too much. 

During the spring game he looked like the most elite athlete on the entire field and I was thinking man, if something happens to Sam he's probably the guy. Well, something happened to all the fucking running backs and here he is, the guy. Him and Duv can be our impact players out there, they should be getting the bulk of touches...

• Like 1

To me it appears Ingram doesn't trust getting hit in his leg yet. He probably wouldn't be playing if everyone else was healthy. He ran really hard last year, he was just to skinny to break tackles. This year he looks quicker and bigger but isn't running as hard. I think it's mental because of the injury. Johnson looks pretty damn good though, I'm good with him splitting carries until the other guys get back, then I'd like to see him hopefully redshirt. Against most teams I think we can get by with Ingram, Young, Johnson (yea I know), and eventually Whittington again. I'm not ready to pull the plug on Johnson at QB yet. I think we are getting RB covered starting next year, QB is always a crap shoot. 

To me it appears Ingram doesn't trust getting hit in his leg yet. He probably wouldn't be playing if everyone else was healthy. He ran really hard last year, he was just to skinny to break tackles. This year he looks quicker and bigger but isn't running as hard. I think it's mental because of the injury. Johnson looks pretty damn good though, I'm good with him splitting carries until the other guys get back, then I'd like to see him hopefully redshirt. Against most teams I think we can get by with Ingram, Young, Johnson (yea I know), and eventually Whittington again. I'm not ready to pull the plug on Johnson at QB yet. I think we are getting RB covered starting next year, QB is always a crap shoot. 

If RoJo splits carries until Guys get healthy, he won’t be eligible for a redshirt this season

17 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

He’s arguably the most explosive player we have on offense. And you don’t want him to play the whole season?

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He’s arguably the most explosive player we have on offense. And you don’t want him to play the whole season?

I think the kid is playing great, but let's tap the brakes. His longest run of the year is 8 yards. He seems to be a vision and effort runner more than explosive runner to me. And yes, I would like our RB room to get healthy enough we don't have to play our potential future QB at RB all year when he needs a redshirt to get his new throwing motion worked out. That way he competes with Thompson for QB1 fairly and not because he had to help the team by playing out of position. Just my opinion of what I'd like to see, not what we will see obviously.

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I think the kid is playing great, but let's tap the brakes. His longest run of the year is 8 yards. He seems to be a vision and effort runner more than explosive runner to me. And yes, I would like our RB room to get healthy enough we don't have to play our potential future QB at RB all year when he needs a redshirt to get his new throwing motion worked out. That way he competes with Thompson for QB1 fairly and not because he had to help the team by playing out of position. Just my opinion of what I'd like to see, not what we will see obviously.

Nah. He’s a complete stud...feed him the rock and have him help us win the rest of our games this year and get into the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That's all I can think of. Being scared of being hit.

3 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I want to think that's why he didn't pull the ball in on that play, as he was thinking he'd have been blown up.

Which is dumb.  Defenders are ready to blow you up no matter what.  If the ball is within your grasp they're coming for you. .  That's football.  

God dammit, Tex! Catch the ball! CATCH the ball! CATCH THE GOD DAMN BALL! They gonna hitcha, right in the god damn kidneys whether you catch it or not.

CATCH! THE! GOD! DAMN! BALL!

Heard that somewhere. Sixty years ago, now. Still true.

You gonna get hit, ain't nary doubt. So you might as well go ahead and

CATCH! 

THE!!

GOD!!!

DAMN!!!!

BALL!!!!!

4 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

RoJo is not redshirting.  Our depth at RB won’t allow it.  Maybe he redshirts next year and competes for starting QB job after Sam’s Sr season?  

The problem is, I’m betting he still wants to play QB, and with Card and Jackson coming in next year, he may transfer to a school where he can start immediately. 

It’s honestly insane how good RoJo is after spending like 2 weeks at RB. There was a huge gap between him and Ingram that game.It’s not just the running. He’s been incredible for a True Freshman RB blocking and catching passes. He’s got great vision and always finds a way to get two extra yards before getting tackled.

id still like to see him spend most of his time at QB this offseason to see if he can get his throwing motion figured out. With his ability as a runner, he only needs to get to about average as a passer to be a tremendous weapon. But goodness, if he keeps playing this well, it’ll be hard to not keep him at RB.

58 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

He doesn't have great speed, but he seems to get those first few steps down pretty damn quick. That says "RB" to me, not "QB" (unless we're going triple-option). 

How does him getting his first few steps down quick say “not QB” to you? It means he could be a very good RB, but every single good RB trait he possesses would also translate to QB in this offense. 

Him being a damn good RB just makes me hope he works out at QB even more. He could be lethal if he can just get to a Greg Ward/slightly better Braxton Miller level at passing. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

How does him getting his first few steps down quick say “not QB” to you? It means he could be a very good RB, but every single good RB trait he possesses would also translate to QB in this offense. 

Him being a damn good RB just makes me hope he works out at QB even more. He could be lethal if he can just get to a Greg Ward/slightly better Braxton Miller level at passing. 

It means he's more valuable at RB than at QB, given his apparent lack of prowess at passing. Casey Thompson is a good runner, and from what we've seen and heard so far, a hell of a lot better passer. We look to be in pretty good shape at QB with Sam and Casey, and our RB room is pretty damn empty, even with RoJo. 

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It means he's more valuable at RB than at QB, given his apparent lack of prowess at passing. Casey Thompson is a good runner, and from what we've seen and heard so far, a hell of a lot better passer. We look to be in pretty good shape at QB with Sam and Casey, and our RB room is pretty damn empty, even with RoJo. 

Right now today, he absolutely is. In two years when Sam’s gone, I’m not so sure. He’s already extremely advanced as a RB with like two weeks at the position. I don’t think having him focus on QB this offseason will hinder his RB development much, and we won’t need him as much at RB next year when our RB room outside of him is Ingram, Whittington, Young, Robinson, Ty Jordan and possibly Derrian Brown. 

The potential at QB for him just seems way too high to not give it at least one more year, IMO, but he is damn good as a RB, so at least we know he’s going to be a really valuable contributor no matter what. Have to love his unselfishness and leadership already. He’s Going to be a team leader for years regardless of position.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right now today, he absolutely is. In two years when Sam’s gone, I’m not so sure. He’s already extremely advanced as a RB with like two weeks at the position. I don’t think having him focus on QB this offseason will hinder his RB development much, and we won’t need him as much at RB next year when our RB room outside of him is Ingram, Whittington, Young, Robinson, Ty Jordan and possibly Derrian Brown. 

The potential at QB for him just seems way too high to not give it at least one more year, IMO, but he is damn good as a RB, so at least we know he’s going to be a really valuable contributor no matter what. Have to love his unselfishness and leadership already. He’s Going to be a team leader for years regardless of position.

Jerrod Heard says "Hi"...

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Jerrod Heard says "Hi"...

Greg Ward says right back at ya. 

You’re really missing the point here. I’m not saying he will for sure be a great QB.  But give him a chance to make it work at QB for another offseason. If by fall camp, it’s clear the throwing just isn’t there, he can move full time to RB without any harm done. 

Ingram  had flashes of being a difference maker last year. Has a full off season of coaching screwed him up? Is it Drayton? Who is in his ear that is making him perform so very poorly in comparison to some stretches last year? I suspect it is the changes to the offense to be pass option heavy that have him confused somehow. Don't ask me how but I need to blame someone other than Ingram for now. He showed he could be something last year.

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Ingram  had flashes of being a difference maker last year. Has a full off season of coaching screwed him up? Is it Drayton? Who is in his ear that is making him perform so very poorly in comparison to some stretches last year? I suspect it is the changes to the offense to be pass option heavy that have him confused somehow. Don't ask me how but I need to blame someone other than Ingram for now. He showed he could be something last year.

I guess Ingram being a generally good RB who errs on the side of patience/looking for a cutback lane and that strategy being a poor fit against LSU isn’t an option? 

Did we already write off him averaging 8.6 yards per touch in week 1? 

• Like 1

RB Coach Drayton preaches "patience", and has done for years. There are lots of plays where that's all you have, but there are also plays where the planned hole opens up immediately and you gotta hit that hole right then, not wait and see. I think Ingram has been doing too much waiting and seeing, for one thing - and it looks like he's making bad choices too often after waiting.

RoJo not gonna see the field at QB this season, unless Sam and Casey both go down. If he shows steady improvement at RB and continues to look better than Ingram (argue about that, but even without the drop, I still think RoJo has looked better), I'd want to see him stay there, although he certainly should have a decent shot at QB. Really, since he's not complete shit at passing, I'd like to see him throw some "halfback" passes this season, maybe even option that. That little trick where Sam was going down the line pretending to make some call and the direct snap went to the RB... I'd like to see that happen a few more times, particularly if there's a wrinkle in it. 

• Like 2

All this two weeks at the position talk wtf?

Wasn't he a mostly running qb?

If so he's been playing rb for a long time. Whether you get the ball snapped to you or handed off or pitched matters not, you still a running back.

Being a qb he's used to reading defenses and knows the importance of picking up rushers.

Work on his passing and you got a double threat at rb.

If his passing gets good you could have two qb's at one time in a play.

Shades of the wishbone.

Come on mensa put your Emory Bellard hat on and take advantage of this opportunity.

• Like 1