Ro Jo should starts

Zavala

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Roschon Johnson is an alpha': How the senior running back leads from a unique position

Joe Cook•07/19/22

Untitled-design-2022-07-19T140542.658.pn

(Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Roschon Johnson started two games at running back for the Texas Longhorns in 2021. His 96 carries last season accounted for about a quarter of the total rushing attempts by Texas tailbacks, with 31 of those 96 coming in the season finale versus Kansas State.

Johnson received the bulk of the carries in Texas’ 22-17 win over K-State not just because regular starter Bijan Robinson was out due to injury, but also because quarterback Casey Thompson was ineffective against the K-State defense. Texas needed someone to carry them to the finish line in order to snap a six-game losing streak. Johnson’s 179 rushing yards, many coming out of the Wildcat formation, did just that.

The Longhorn locker room respected Johnson prior to that game, especially after he made what became a permanent switch from quarterback to running back before his freshman season. After the game-winning performance against KSU? There’s only one way for the program to describe the senior from Port Neches.

“Roschon Johnson is an alpha,” Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said at Big 12 Media Days.

Sarkisian doesn’t name permanent captains before a season, but if he made an exception for Johnson no one would bat an eye. He praised Johnson for always being ready to lead the Longhorns whenever adversity strikes, and for earning the respect of his peers through his unselfishness and hard work.

Said Johnson at Big 12 Media Days: “I think it’s just a testament to the work that I’ve put in and the things I’ve done on and off the field, the sacrifices I’ve made just to be in this spot.”

Though Johnson technically doesn’t start, he is heavily involved in Texas’ on-field fortunes. He plays on four different special teams units, and, as mentioned, usually receives the carries when Robinson isn’t on the field.

Johnson’s status as second on the depth chart at his position makes him slightly atypical when it comes to leaders on football teams. But ask the person ahead of him whether that diminishes Johnson’s leadership status, and he’ll say it makes no difference.

“Roschon, he’s respected by everybody in that locker room,” Robinson said at Big 12 Media Days. “We get each other better. Everybody in the locker room, they hear him, they understand him, and when he says something, they listen.”

Sacrificing a chance to play quarterback at the University of Texas for the betterment of the program will draw respect from inside and outside the locker room. Johnson is a fan favorite to this day for his unselfish action, a decision he said was not easy and required a lot of prayer, as well as for his exploits in the classroom. In May, Johnson received his bachelor’s degree from the McCombs School of Business.

But the respect from inside Moncrief drove Johnson to do everything possible to bring success to a Texas program with one 10-win season and zero conference championships since 2009.

“I’ve realized that in order for this team to get to where it needs to be, there has to be somebody to step up and say something and be the leader of the team,” Johnson said. “I try my best to do just that. I think that’s why you’re hearing the different terms and the different things coming from different people about me as a leader because I’m ultimately trying to take an active role in leading us to a championship.”

Those different terms include vocal, focused, smart, and “telling us the right thing.” Johnson said he learned many of those attributes from former Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger and strove to utilize them with this year’s team.

However, Johnson knows it can’t be a one-man show when it comes to leadership. Great leaders bring others along with them. During the offseason, Sarkisian has seen Johnson bring a change to his program.

“Guys are starting to act like him, and that’s how you start to get a team-first mentality in the locker room,” Sarkisian said. “It’s not just about one guy anymore.”

After three years, 299 carries, 1636 rushing yards, and 20 total touchdowns, the former quarterback knows how important his leadership responsibilities are on and off the field. Ahead of his senior year in burnt orange, there’s no other position Johnson would rather be in.

“I definitely wear it as a badge of honor, and I just thank God that I’m in this position,” Johnson said.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, LTtxfan said:

'Roschon Johnson is an alpha': How the senior running back leads from a unique position

Joe Cook•07/19/22

Untitled-design-2022-07-19T140542.658.pn

(Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Roschon Johnson started two games at running back for the Texas Longhorns in 2021. His 96 carries last season accounted for about a quarter of the total rushing attempts by Texas tailbacks, with 31 of those 96 coming in the season finale versus Kansas State.

Johnson received the bulk of the carries in Texas’ 22-17 win over K-State not just because regular starter Bijan Robinson was out due to injury, but also because quarterback Casey Thompson was ineffective against the K-State defense. Texas needed someone to carry them to the finish line in order to snap a six-game losing streak. Johnson’s 179 rushing yards, many coming out of the Wildcat formation, did just that.

The Longhorn locker room respected Johnson prior to that game, especially after he made what became a permanent switch from quarterback to running back before his freshman season. After the game-winning performance against KSU? There’s only one way for the program to describe the senior from Port Neches.

“Roschon Johnson is an alpha,” Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said at Big 12 Media Days.

Sarkisian doesn’t name permanent captains before a season, but if he made an exception for Johnson no one would bat an eye. He praised Johnson for always being ready to lead the Longhorns whenever adversity strikes, and for earning the respect of his peers through his unselfishness and hard work.

Said Johnson at Big 12 Media Days: “I think it’s just a testament to the work that I’ve put in and the things I’ve done on and off the field, the sacrifices I’ve made just to be in this spot.”

Though Johnson technically doesn’t start, he is heavily involved in Texas’ on-field fortunes. He plays on four different special teams units, and, as mentioned, usually receives the carries when Robinson isn’t on the field.

Johnson’s status as second on the depth chart at his position makes him slightly atypical when it comes to leaders on football teams. But ask the person ahead of him whether that diminishes Johnson’s leadership status, and he’ll say it makes no difference.

“Roschon, he’s respected by everybody in that locker room,” Robinson said at Big 12 Media Days. “We get each other better. Everybody in the locker room, they hear him, they understand him, and when he says something, they listen.”

Sacrificing a chance to play quarterback at the University of Texas for the betterment of the program will draw respect from inside and outside the locker room. Johnson is a fan favorite to this day for his unselfish action, a decision he said was not easy and required a lot of prayer, as well as for his exploits in the classroom. In May, Johnson received his bachelor’s degree from the McCombs School of Business.

But the respect from inside Moncrief drove Johnson to do everything possible to bring success to a Texas program with one 10-win season and zero conference championships since 2009.

“I’ve realized that in order for this team to get to where it needs to be, there has to be somebody to step up and say something and be the leader of the team,” Johnson said. “I try my best to do just that. I think that’s why you’re hearing the different terms and the different things coming from different people about me as a leader because I’m ultimately trying to take an active role in leading us to a championship.”

Those different terms include vocal, focused, smart, and “telling us the right thing.” Johnson said he learned many of those attributes from former Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger and strove to utilize them with this year’s team.

However, Johnson knows it can’t be a one-man show when it comes to leadership. Great leaders bring others along with them. During the offseason, Sarkisian has seen Johnson bring a change to his program.

“Guys are starting to act like him, and that’s how you start to get a team-first mentality in the locker room,” Sarkisian said. “It’s not just about one guy anymore.”

After three years, 299 carries, 1636 rushing yards, and 20 total touchdowns, the former quarterback knows how important his leadership responsibilities are on and off the field. Ahead of his senior year in burnt orange, there’s no other position Johnson would rather be in.

“I definitely wear it as a badge of honor, and I just thank God that I’m in this position,” Johnson said.  

Prayers for RoJo and his injury 🙏🙏🙏

What a great ambassador for Texas.

A two-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selection (2020-21) ... a six-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (spring 2019, fall 2019, spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2021)

In May, Johnson received his bachelor’s degree from the McCombs School of Business.

• Hook 'Em 2

Love me some RoJo!

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2022/08/10/texas-rb-roschon-johnson-ranked-26th-among-college-footballs-athletic-freaks/

Texas running back Roschon Johnson’s unique path to stardom was brought up in The Athletic’s college football Freak List 2022. The list, compiled by Bruce Feldman, focuses on football players with the most interesting physical capabilities in the college sphere. Johnson was ranked No. 26 on Feldman’s list and was the only Big 12 running back to make the cut.

Johnson is entering his senior season as a running back with the Longhorns. He’s also on the 2022 preseason watchlist for the Doak Walker Award, which recognizes the nation’s top running back annually. Last year’s winner was Michigan State’s Kenneth Walker III, who is currently with the Seattle Seahawks.

While Johnson has experienced massive success as a running back, he originally signed with Texas as a quarterback. The Port Neches product was an All-American quarterback in high school and graduated as Port Neches-Groves’ leading all-time passer with 7,710 yards to his name. Johnson switched to running back during the 2019 fall camp as a freshman after a slew of injuries in the existing running back room.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...