Jump to content

Ro Jo should starts


Zavala

Recommended Posts

Not sure why one bad game against the best defense on our schedule makes everyone ready to write off Ingram as the starter. Give the kid the Rice game to dominate and bring his confidence back up and he will be fine. That said, I do really like Ro Jo at RB right now and agree that he deserves to get a substantial amount of touches. Let them both see the field a lot and to me, that is a damn good 1-2 punch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's up with his throwing motion?  

Signed,

Doesn't pay much attention to recruiting

His mechanics have always been poor - which led to inconsistencies in his throws.  So far as I know he wasn't one of those kids who's had a personal QB coach since they were 10 years old.  He worked with a trainer this off-season (with the Texas coaches approval) to rework his throwing motion.  He's not comfortable yet with the new motion and as a result he look like shit throwing the ball in fall camp.  Its to be expected - you can't make a change like that overnight (or in one off-season).  The hope is that he would RS and could spend all year working on his mechanics and learning/mastering the offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Not sure why one bad game against the best defense on our schedule makes everyone ready to write off Ingram as the starter. Give the kid the Rice game to dominate and bring his confidence back up and he will be fine. That said, I do really like Ro Jo at RB right now and agree that he deserves to get a substantial amount of touches. Let them both see the field a lot and to me, that is a damn good 1-2 punch.

I'm just saying make Ingram earn it. In practice, on the field, everything. Based on the first two games, I think Roschon has earned the RB1 spot. Maybe the fire lit under him is to make him RB2 if he isn't producing on the field. He's got to have more of a sense of urgency. Ro Jo gets the rock he's running like his life depends on every yard, every carry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who has suggested this?

It's implied in the viewpoint that we need to hold back Roschon as a QB.  The guy is a baller, a total team player, he stepped up and is kicking ass, he needs to keep getting a LOT of carries.  He's obviously not worried about his redshirt, so the rest of the hand-wringing in our fanbase needs to go away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's implied in the viewpoint that we need to hold back Roschon as a QB.  The guy is a baller, a total team player, he stepped up and is kicking ass, he needs to keep getting a LOT of carries.  He's obviously not worried about his redshirt, so the rest of the hand-wringing in our fanbase needs to go away.

I think the only reason people were suggesting this at first is because they hadn't seen him play RB. He's doing well, so those arguments seem to be fading. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just saying make Ingram earn it. In practice, on the field, everything. Based on the first two games, I think Roschon has earned the RB1 spot. Maybe the fire lit under him is to make him RB2 if he isn't producing on the field. He's got to have more of a sense of urgency. Ro Jo gets the rock he's running like his life depends on every yard, every carry. 

Based on the first two games? Didn’t he average like 2.7 yds a carry against LaTech?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's odd seeing clips of our OLine ear holing and destroying LSU's DLine, yet we're having trouble establishing a running game. 

Very true.  We didn’t maximize our potential in the running game at all.  A RB that just hits the hole hard behind Cosmi and Braun should do some real damage, because those two move defenders all over the place on a pretty frequent basis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:


Based on the first two games? Didn’t he average like 2.7 yds a carry against LaTech?

Yeah I'm not looking at all at the stats just the eye test. I also don't have the film or anything to look at so maybe I'm wrong. Just isn't planting a foot and going. He's got excellent shakes, just something isn't right 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's implied in the viewpoint that we need to hold back Roschon as a QB.  The guy is a baller, a total team player, he stepped up and is kicking ass, he needs to keep getting a LOT of carries.  He's obviously not worried about his redshirt, so the rest of the hand-wringing in our fanbase needs to go away.

Plus if he really wants to go back to QB he can always redshirt next season when Sam's a senior. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, DanTheHorn said:

Ingram  had flashes of being a difference maker last year. Has a full off season of coaching screwed him up? Is it Drayton? Who is in his ear that is making him perform so very poorly in comparison to some stretches last year? I suspect it is the changes to the offense to be pass option heavy that have him confused somehow. Don't ask me how but I need to blame someone other than Ingram for now. He showed he could be something last year.

feel like he is absolutely nursing an injury at this point...for God's sake they are moving QBs and LBs over to play RB because the entire RB room is hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's odd seeing clips of our OLine ear holing and destroying LSU's DLine, yet we're having trouble establishing a running game. 

it is almost like they are playing guys at RB who are hurt, have played the position for a couple of weeks and LSU focused on stopping the run and making Texas win in the air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Tex Long said:

RB Coach Drayton preaches "patience", and has done for years. There are lots of plays where that's all you have, but there are also plays where the planned hole opens up immediately and you gotta hit that hole right then, not wait and see. I think Ingram has been doing too much waiting and seeing, for one thing - and it looks like he's making bad choices too often after waiting.

On All-Access a couple of weeks ago, Drayton was very adamant to the running backs about being *very* patient and methodical when taking the handoff. I guess he may have been preaching that so hard for that particular drill. Anyway, this makes me wonder if preaching that to running backs who have more effectiveness when hitting the hole with more speed hinders there ability. 

 

I’m probably wrong on this, but one of the better qualities that Roschon brings to the table, is his ability to hit the holes fast and find space. Which is something that Drayton seems to discourage. That might be because Roschon’s new to the position and Drayton hasn’t had time to mold Roschon into that type of RB. I agree though, I’d like to see a bit more burst out of Ingram.  

 

@Fud or @Burt Macklin can give more insight for damn sure. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

On All-Access a couple of weeks ago, Drayton was very adamant to the running backs about being *very* patient and methodical when taking the handoff. I guess he may have been preaching that so hard for that particular drill. Anyway, this makes me wonder if preaching that to running backs who have more effectiveness when hitting the hole with more speed hinders there ability. 

 

I’m probably wrong on this, but one of the better qualities that Roschon brings to the table, is his ability to hit the holes fast and find space. Which is something that Drayton seems to discourage. That might be because Roschon’s new to the position and Drayton hasn’t had time to mold Roschon into that type of RB. I agree though, I’d like to see a bit more burst out of Ingram.  

 

@Fud or @Burt Macklin can give more insight for damn sure. 

 

 

 

 

 

Part of that 'patience' that Drayton (and Herman) are preaching has to do with forcing the defense to commit.  They want the LB's (or the DE) or whoever to actually make a decision one way or the the other before the QB hands the ball off or keeps.

If the RB is running to the line full speed the QB doesn't have the time he needs to make the right decision.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

On All-Access a couple of weeks ago, Drayton was very adamant to the running backs about being *very* patient and methodical when taking the handoff. I guess he may have been preaching that so hard for that particular drill. Anyway, this makes me wonder if preaching that to running backs who have more effectiveness when hitting the hole with more speed hinders there ability.

I’m probably wrong on this, but one of the better qualities that Roschon brings to the table, is his ability to hit the holes fast and find space. Which is something that Drayton seems to discourage. That might be because Roschon’s new to the position and Drayton hasn’t had time to mold Roschon into that type of RB. I agree though, I’d like to see a bit more burst out of Ingram. 

@Fud or @Burt Macklin can give more insight for damn sure.

Are we sure that Ingram is 100%? I see a lot of dogging on him for this game, and yes, it would have been nice if he did better. But if he's playing through pain, that could be the difference. It can make one hesitant to go full throttle, and be a distraction like when he tried to make that catch. Just spitballing. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Not directing that comment specifically at you, but some of the comments I've seen about him almost seems like some have.

I do wonder if the coaching to have more patience hasn't had some ill effect. Hard to know if the message is being too simplified from the outside looking in. Some players may require a different approach to coaching.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, Chad said:

Ingram's drop was costly. He's an okay RB, but either Jordan or Bijan will supplant him as the starter next season. Those two have the potential to be difference makers.

Ingram was the #6 RB in the country out of high school and was very much pitched as the new hotness. He also just had one bad game. Tap the breaks on anointing the incoming freshman.

(that said Bijan's a near sure thing)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Part of that 'patience' that Drayton (and Herman) are preaching has to do with forcing the defense to commit.  They want the LB's (or the DE) or whoever to actually make a decision one way or the the other before the QB hands the ball off or keeps.

If the RB is running to the line full speed the QB doesn't have the time he needs to make the right decision.  

That’s a good point. Keeps the defense honest, especially in an RPO style package. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NoName said:

it is almost like they are playing guys at RB who are hurt, have played the position for a couple of weeks and LSU focused on stopping the run and making Texas win in the air.

Yet the guy that is listed as "QB" on the roster (Rojo) ran for 4.6 yards a pop while the actually "RB" dropped a huge pass and picked up a measly 2.9 per carry. Sounds like more carries should've gone in the other direction.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Keontay, but he hasn't looked right.

Herman started D Eriq King at WR at Houston and he's starting QB now. It's no big deal, he can either redshirt or just start the last two at QB (unless another young buck beats him out). In that case, he's got a career at RB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wweeeeeee!!!!!

He's so awesome there I think he should stay there and play RB. Let Sammy play QB his senior year and then find out if he can compete for the job. If so, awesome. If not, he's got a place at RB that will take him into the big $ in the NFL if he sticks with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to give Ingram the benefit of the doubt that his knee may be bothering him, and I don't want to disregard his potential. But damn, RJ is really impressive. If I were Tom, I'd be really tempted to permanently move him to RB.
Ingram at full health is someone you definitely want toting the rock for the Horns, and Rojo being a nice surprise doesn't diminish that fact.

I watched Ingram take over a state championship game where it looked early on his team was going to get blown out. Kid started shredding a disciplined and well coached Abilene Wylie defense. He showed some of that in limited play last year, and especially against Okie Lite.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...