Orgeron Out-Coached Herman

bigcigar

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

His stint at Ole Miss was definitely dreadful but there were a ton of factors at that half literate sinkhole.  Before that and since then he's been recognized as a coveted position coach who is a nightmare to recruit against.  If you want drop a two year tenure from 12 years ago out of your gaping anus to emphasize that the guy is an incompetent rube and ignore everything else, including tonight, then rock on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

His stint at Ole Miss was definitely dreadful but there were a ton of factors at that half literate sinkhole.  Before that and since then he's been recognized as a coveted position coach who is a nightmare to recruit against.  If you want drop a two year tenure from 12 years ago out of your gaping anus to emphasize that the guy is an incompetent rube and ignore everything else, including tonight, then rock on. 

Leave my anus out of this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

IIRC he was hitting the sauce back then and has since quit. 

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Orgeron has more talent than we do.  

Does he? Our o-line won their side of the ball. It was closer for our d-line, but I'd call it slightly in Texas' favor there. They torched our secondary, but we torched theirs right back. Burrow was on fire and outplayed Sam, but not by much. The running games were pretty much a wash. They just out-coached us. They had a better plan on offense than we did and executed it more consistently. Or put another way, their defense was slightly less crappy than ours.

If Texas comes out in the first quarter running the offense like the 3rd quarter this is a different game.  It seemed like Texas was determined to get the 50+ yard td play narrative off their back in the first half. 

In the sugar bowl last January Texas came out intent on controlling the clock, the ball and the game.  They came out mashing the defense and just absolutely manhandled Ga. 

that at is the team Texas should strive to be. I’m all for taking 5-6 shots a half throwing down the field but being the more physical team got 4 quarters eventually wears on you opponent. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah great coaching - every time they get a first down, play possum and get a free timeout, fuck their momentum, and get a breather. Beautiful.

That and Burrow finding the open man so many times. I doubt Coach O was telling him who to throw it to during the game. 

But all that being said, Coach O didn't do anything particularly dumb tonight and Herman (and his coaching staff) did quite a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not sure I think Ogreron is a great xo's head coach, but he clearly has great coordinators and top talent, so he's doing something right.

I'm incredibly impressed with how polished their new offensive install is only two games in. They look like they've been running it for years.

They said during the game that Burrow was a spread QB before coming to LSU, so it makes sense that the transition would go quickly for him. 

Herman analyzes. Analyzers sometimes over do it.

5 minutes ago, BB65 said:

If Texas comes out in the first quarter running the offense like the 3rd quarter this is a different game.  It seemed like Texas was determined to get the 50+ yard td play narrative off their back in the first half. 

In the sugar bowl last January Texas came out intent on controlling the clock, the ball and the game.  They came out mashing the defense and just absolutely manhandled Ga.

that at is the team Texas should strive to be. I’m all for taking 5-6 shots a half throwing down the field but being the more physical team got 4 quarters eventually wears on you opponent. 

I'm for it if Sam is up to the task. He really wasn't tonight. Maybe he was too uptight, don't know, but he really blew a lot of those.

52 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am faaaarrr from an X's and O's kinda guy but I was thinking on third down (before the Ingram drop) that some kind of backside misdirection pass like that would be an easy 6. For a split-second I was patting myself on the back, and then Ingram let it slip through his fingers. 

If Ingram catches that ball then obviously the game is totally different.  We wouldn’t be trailing and the big MO is on our side. 

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Ingram is still wearing a brace and is rumored to be more banged up than anyone has admitted to the point that if we had a healthy rb roster he would've seen some more down time. I think Nahlin said this last week.

Is something wrong with his hands?

2 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Let’s shut up about how much of an idiot he is. His staff just obliterated ours.

LSU has a better passer at QB, better running backs, better oline, better receivers, better dline, better linebackers and better dbacks, he didn't out coach shit.

• Like 1

This was a one or two play game. Stop over analyzing it. LSU might be the best in the SEC this year, Texas could easily be the best in the Big 12. 7 points. Several key plays went LSU’s way either because of luck, play calling or both. Texas could very easily win a rematch, it was that close.

• Like 2

I've barely skimmed though the overreaction thread but I want to contribute loud words and anger about a team that is replacing the vast majority of their defense and took a very talented team to the wire.  Those 500 yards we put up were complete bullshit and in no way indicative of the direction this team is headed because our recruiting is pure shit.  I hate everything and life sucks, fire everyone because we lost by 7 to a higher ranked team.  We clearly played to win rather than played not to lose and that's not acceptable.  

• Like 4

Lol.  No. I love the play calling.  Go big or go home 

That’s fair. But after 8 plays inside the 5 and zero points, it felt like Tom was a losing gambler chasing his loses. Perfect example: running to call TO before the half for one last offensive possession. If you do that, better not give the ball back. We gave it back and let them score. That flipped the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, troph said:

This was a one or two play game. Stop over analyzing it. LSU might be the best in the SEC this year, Texas could easily be the best in the Big 12. 7 points. Several key plays went LSU’s way either because of luck, play calling or both. Texas could very easily win a rematch, it was that close.

He's right you know. /meme

10 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

That’s fair. But after 8 plays inside the 5 and zero points, it felt like Tom was a losing gambler chasing his loses. Perfect example: running to call TO before the half for one last offensive possession. If you do that, better not give the ball back. We gave it back and let them score. That flipped the game.

if we didn't call timeout before half everyone in here would be bitching about that

• Like 1

We had the ball w/ 1:41 left in the 1st half and only ran 28 seconds off the clock before punting back to LSU and allowing them enough time to slice us up for another TD. That was some egregious shit I've seen from Jason Garrett for years. I think that pissed me off more than the goal line decisions. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

We had the ball w/ 1:41 left in the 1st half and only ran 28 seconds off the clock before punting back to LSU and allowing them enough time to slice us up for another TD. That was some egregious shit I've seen from Jason Garrett for years. I think that pissed me off more than the goal line decisions. 

That is more time than most Texas drives take to score, especially with timeouts. So you're for surrender early?  How many minutes you want on the clock before we try and score points?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That is more time than most Texas drives take to score, especially with timeouts. So you're for surrender early?  How many minutes you want on the clock before we try and score points?

I would have ran the ball on one of those 1st two downs, especially after Ingram inexplicably stepped out after 1st down pass..Our defense was struggling, giving Burrow the ball back after 28 seconds was the worst possible scenario. When you're defense is struggling, you've got to balance being aggressive and being smart in that situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Perfect analogy. Tom got on tilt after that. 

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

if we didn't call timeout before half everyone in here would be bitching about that

No, in real time, I was thinking "This had better work out," especially after Ingram ran out of bounds on first down after a very short gain. But Tom was on tilt....

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

This. Just like if KI catches and easy TD pass we all praise Tom for being gutty and aggressive.

I don't think many of us fault him for the first turnover on downs. We fault the shitty playcalling that had us saving that play for fourth down, Ingram's dropping the pass, and most of all, going for it again minutes later. Herman gets obsessed with not looking like a pussy sometimes and it cost us 10 points in the first half.

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I would have ran the ball on one of those 1st two downs, especially after Ingram inexplicably stepped out after 1st down pass..Our defense was struggling, giving Burrow the ball back after 28 seconds was the worst possible scenario. When you're defense is struggling, you've got to balance being aggressive and being smart in that situation. 

Exactly. After that shitty first down play to Ingram, it was time to start chewing clock or LSU timeouts. 

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Left 6 points on the field. Ultimately did not matter but sweet Jesus if you don’t get it the first time, kick for the fucking 3 the next time, Tom.

I was against going for it the first time.  I was incredulous about not taking the gift 3 after the pick to make up for the drop.  The vibe would have been very different.  So i don't blame Ingram for the drop.  Therm should have cashed in the pick to level at 3.  Egregious error #1.

Clock management / drive management before the half surrendering a touchdown when it was completely in our control not to do so.  We had some of this last year and the year before.  Simply runnning the play clock to 1 second prevents points.  Calling timeout for the opponent whose QB is on fire.  Just no.  Egregious error #2. 

I have no other major issues.  Minor issues with some of the play selection, but we fought a war last night and suffered a tactical, not a strategic loss.

Everyone last night calling for heads to roll over the 3rd and 17 single coverage.....  get some coffee or a bloody mary and some eggs and toast, and then reset.

I was disappointed last night.  I still am this morning.  But the Zen Master Parcells is my spirit animal.

Ohhhmmmm.

40 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

wrote my post before i read yours.  egregious is the werd.

9 hours ago, troph said:

Bama will smoke their ass. They’re LSU’s dad every year.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Bama will smoke their ass. They’re LSU’s dad every year.

Bama drops one regularly.  This time LSU has a QB that plays like a Big 12 or Pac-12 QB.  the way to beat the top of the SEC is known - tough physical defense, tough physical Oline play and a sophisticated balanced offense with a QB that's good - i.e. Big 12/Pac-12 type QBs.  LSU made the changes they needed to in order to have a chance to beat Bama.  I think they can.

Edited by troph

10 hours ago, troph said:

Couple of holds and a couple of roughing the passers. I have a hard time believing that every big call didn't go our way the whole night. Anytime LSU needed a bail out they got it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Herman took three points off the board for us and gifted LSU with 7 at the end of the first half.

(I am not counting the Ingram drop -- only the second FG Herman turned his nose up at, and then running no clock on that shitty drive and giving it back to Burrow and co. with way too much time.)

This can't be restated enough.  Ingram drop (7) or Therm arrogance (3) plus stupid clock management in a trench war (7) was a 10 or 14 point swing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Yep. Especially with a light box. It’s ok to run to keep them honest with that much time left.

3 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

this.

this.

this.

10 hours ago, Constant said:

Herman’s arrogance and aggression caught up to him. Just take the points. 

yea he is still coaching like a G5 head coach where you need to come out and make some statement and get the other team all worried instead of matching up and playing a full game

instead of showing confidence in the D by going for it he left them out to dry as the weaker unit on the team right now and put the burden of making stops on them instead of giving them points from the many times there was a chance to get some points

that going for it shit in the 1st quarter is for G5 teams and teams in bowl games way beyond where they should be not a Texas team at home in a regular season game

• Like 4