Eddie Money cashes in his ticket to paradise

Dennis Taylor

Very underrated(?) rocker and a humble guy from a working class background.  Former cop (I think a family of cops/firefighters).  The show Real Money is a "follow them around" bio of him and his family (BTW his wife/daughter is reasonably hot) and this was of course introduced into the show recently.  Should be a riveting series of shows as they deal with this.

I loved his tunefulness and probably could listen to "Shakin'" 25 times in a row, man what a great song.
RIP to a great guy and damn fine rock'n'roll icon.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He was playing a concert in Rochester, MN about 10-15 years ago.  Family friend who was going ran into him out getting lunch.  Apparently he was a super nice guy, and they start bullshitting.  Friend casually mentions that they're going boating in the morning.  Eddie asked to come with, and they thought he was joking.  He was dead serious.  They had 3 days until the next show, so the next day, Eddie Money shows up at their dock and goes boating with them.  They hit it off, stayed in touch, and he'd hit them up every time he was swinging through the Upper Midwest.  I never met him myself, but by all accounts just a good fucking dude.  CSB, yada yada. 

RIP.  Shakin' is a great song.

Well that's an awesome story. 

That's a great story -- boating with Eddie Money.

Somehow I managed to post on the Daily Texan version of this thread (meaning "somehow there's a Daily Texan version of this thread"):

Dude could write some catchy songs.  I saw him several times, always attached to an artist I actually wanted to see.  His performances were . . . variable.  At his best he was hugely entertaining.  RIP Eddie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Well that's an awesome story. 

I just found out in the past year and was surprised they'd sat on it for so long.  It came up because someone was cranking "Two Tickets" and mentioned that Eddie Money would likely be a fun guy to party with.

IIRC, he brought the whole band with him one of the times.  I'll have to clarify details next time I see them.  I want to say they got together 4 or 5 times over the years.  Backstage passes at the shows, great seats, whole 9 yards.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

RIP

Just came to post this one.  This came out right about the time I discovered FM radio, used to stay up all night in the summer listening to KILT (yes, it was a rock station at one time) and KLOL, always loved this one, here's another deep cut that is just great.  RIP Eddie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Just came to post this one.  This came out right about the time I discovered FM radio, used to stay up all night in the summer listening to KILT (yes, it was a rock station at one time) and KLOL, always loved this one, here's another deep cut that is just great.  RIP Eddie.

Never heard that one, pretty good.  Might have to dig around his old stuff to see what other tunes I missed.

57 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

My 6 year old will be devastated. seriously.  take me home tonight is probably his second favorite song, and one of my favorite to sing karaoke.

this sucks, very underrated dude and always a fan of his. may he rest in peace. 

Why would you tell a 6 year old. He never would have known the difference. 

You're a flawed guy

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Love this fucking song. You don't think of Eddie Money as singing about being a western outlaw but it is so good. 

Yeah, I think that was my favorite by him.

Saw him in the late 80's early 90's (don't hold me to the time frame, I'm old and my memory sucks).  It was back when 101 KLOL used to do shows at the Summit.  I think it was the morning show DJs that put on this concert.  He played one of them.  Had floor seats.  Good times.  I think Van Wilks played it as well.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

who said i was going to tell him? 

3 hours ago, Mez2 said:

My 6 year old will be devastated. seriously.  take me home tonight is probably his second favorite song, and one of my favorite to sing karaoke.

this sucks, very underrated dude and always a fan of his. may he rest in peace. 

Who else would tell him? any little shit kid he knows isn't going to know who the fuck Eddie Money is. Unless your kid's a weirdo who goes around googling Eddie Money randomly

13 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

Dad: How was school buddy?

6yo: Sucked.  Ricky told me Eddie Money died.  Hit the juice box pretty hard all afternoon.  The great ones are always taken too soon; I mean he was only 70.  Hey, how old is gramps? 

He was just a kid. /armybrat

3 hours ago, runthebone said:

RIP.  What ever happened to the poster Eddie Money?

When I saw the news today Shaggy was my first thought. While I unfortunately don't lurk here I did want to register to pay my respects to the Shag and to Eddie Money.

Whenever "Take Me Home Tonight" randomly hits my iTunes or radio it brings back great memories of college in my early 20s and of The Shag in my early 30s... I legitimately believe its the greatest song of the 1980s in terms of how well it represents the era.

I chose the name EddieMoney for my handle because I wanted my persona to be a real person who was familiar, easy to relate to, and sounded good.

Work has gotten in the way of internetting these days... If you want to stay in touch I'm fairly active from a ticketing industry perspective on Twitter... PRyanTexas

Anyway, thank you for thinking about me. I really loved my time on The Shag. 

RIP to Eddie Money. A man who provided great times and great tunes

• Like 4