GM Steakhouse on the drag

zork

GM Steakhouse on the drag, what were your favorite insults, stories, history of the place?  The yuge aquarium with the big fish was cool.  Can't recall what abuse you got when you didn't want fries with that(platter)?

What are your stories from there back in the day?

• Fuck You 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:43 AM, Lat22 said:

The speaker in the planter outside the big window. People on the sidewalk flinching when they’d throw a pickle slice at them only to have it stick on the window. 

If I didn’t spend that portion of the 80s high, I could remember things like this without my recollection being refreshed.

I have a friend who you might call a statuesque blond, at least in her youth.  She's a really fun person and a great athlete who doesn't take any shit.  She worked for whatever bank that was just south of GM and had to go to that branch for some reason one day.  As she was walking by GM the guy says "Hey Barbie, why don't you come in and have a cheeseburger?"  She looked over at the window and "splat" pickle.  She, or course, flinched and it pissed her off.  She had no idea about GM so she headed for the door ready to give them hell and walked in to find about 30 people in line and everyone was looking at her.

She said she just put her head down and headed for the bank.  She ended up going in and getting a burger a few weeks later and became a fan.

• Fuck You 1

The pickle on the platter to signify "cheeseburger platter."

The giant wad of cheese on the platter to signify "cheeseburger with no cheese cheeseburger platter."

Spiro and his trolls were once silenced and sat in awe to watch the birkenstock clad hippie chick waltz in and order a cheeseburger platter without the meat.  She wanted the meat drippings but not the patty.   The whole line briefly shut down, Spiro charged her and extra 2 or so dollars.  She was good humored about it all and ponied up.  When she got her order they all crowded around her to watch her take the first bite or two then dispersed and went back to their regular shenanigans.  Spiro stayed to watch the entire meal go down.

1980s co-ed fashion included the fluffy-cloud white angora sweater...  awesome look and very expensive of course.

One day - after getting my Cheeseburger Platter and moving down the line, a blonde co-ed who filled out her fluffy sweater just nicely steps up.  He picks up the bottle of mustard and squirts it DIRECTLY AT HER BOOBS.  She screams and recoils in horror ... only to find out it was a gag bottle with a yellow string (no mustard).

47 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

1980s co-ed fashion included the fluffy-cloud white angora sweater...  awesome look and very expensive of course.

One day - after getting my Cheeseburger Platter and moving down the line, a blonde co-ed who filled out her fluffy sweater just nicely steps up.  He picks up the bottle of mustard and squirts it DIRECTLY AT HER BOOBS.  She screams and recoils in horror ... only to find out it was a gag bottle with a yellow string (no mustard).

Man. 80s coeds recoiling in horror.  Don't THAT bring back some memories?  Right guys? 

Right?.......Guys?

Edited by Brisketexan

Dude in line behind me orders a cheeseburger with fries and wants cheese on the fries. 

“What kind of cheese, frat boy?  Toe?  Take the cheese off the burger if you want it on the fries   You see this line?”

Dude with him says he wants a “steak sandwich but with the fried chicken stuff on it.”

”That’s called a chicken fired steak sandwich, knob gobbler.  Jesus, you’re president of his fraternity, aren’t you?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOVED that place, and took some friends there on a visit and tried to give them a heads up.  One of my friends asked if they had mayonnaise, and the girl behind the counter gave her the best are you stupid look and asked "are you dumb?"  and then just moved her plate down.  I caught hell for that but the rest of us laughed.

At the cash register while holding your change over the tip jar they'd ask if you wanted to patch the hole in the ozone or save the baby seals or something similar.

If you paused when ordering they were quick with, "are you gonna stand there all day or order?" 

Those were some tasty burgers. Was it a victim of real estate development or did college kids stop liking tremendous burgers and abuse?

29 minutes ago, orange dream said:

At the cash register while holding your change over the tip jar they'd ask if you wanted to patch the hole in the ozone or save the baby seals or something similar.

If you paused when ordering they were quick with, "are you gonna stand there all day or order?" 

Those were some tasty burgers. Was it a victim of real estate development or did college kids stop liking tremendous burgers and abuse?

I'd imagine it was simple real estate/economics.

But, can you imagine how the safe-space snowflake students of today would react to that kind of taunting?  I bet it would make a funny late night talk show bit.