This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Nooooooo not Trebek. Fuck my BFF and I used to watch and compete against each other a lot during our years living together. I’m truly sad and I usually don’t give a shit about celebrities 

Yep, 4:30 in Jester before we went down to eat. He’s an icon. 

The news is awful. I hope he is able to beat this, but i know that this isn't all that likely.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ken Jennings is about the only one I think would be appropriate.  

Actually I think Brad Rutter might be a better choice. Jennings is too much of a celebrity now, IMHO.

If you look back at the classic game show hosts - Barker, Hall, Dawson - only Dawson was a known before he got on the game show. Sure Barker, Trebek and Hall had some very minor credits under their belts, but the game show was where they made their name. But as a whole, they grew with the show. Not that I hate the current generation of shows, but it feels like the people that have taken them over want to make their own mark on the shows and not let the show be itself and go with that.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Not that I hate the current generation of shows, but it feels like the people that have taken them over want to make their own mark on the shows and not let the show be itself and go with that.

I like Drew Carey on TPIR. Certainly a different vibe than Bob Barker but he respects the show and he seems to genuinely get excited for contestants when they win big.

Pat Sajak actually did a good job hosting Jeopardy once for an April Fools' episode.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 9:47 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Why was Message Board User saying poor Alex on 3/1?

I'm way behind on the show, just caught up with this one - it was because of a terrible missed Daily Doubly by Alex Jacobs in the All-Star Tournament. It was double bad, given the situation, he didn't need to risk everything (he did) and IMHO the question was easy. The miss cost them the game and a spot in the finals.

BTW Just a reminder:

0311_adult_ot_d_0.jpg

Register here - https://www.jeopardy.com/

(LOL the thought of Florida Man on Jeopardy)

On 3/7/2019 at 10:09 AM, spystud13 said:

Pretty sure ‘96-97 was the first year Jester did the late-night deal around midnight. So dinner at 5 was breakfast to many of us. 

Spring 96... my roommate worked down there. I was to the point where I rarely ate dinner there (must have had 200 Subway meatball subs that semester) but I'd head down late to grab those chicken rings they served.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 days ago I turned on the hotel TV and jeopardy was on (haven't watched an episode in 5 years probably)-- this whizkid was just dominating his field, caught my attention and I thought this guy is special. I had never seen a "run away" where Final Jeopardy didn't even matter-- nobody had half this guys total.

This guy just got the Ken Jennings comparison from Jeopardy I just saw on Apple news.

James Holzhauer, a 34-year-old professional gambler from Las Vegas, obliterated the all-time single-day record on the quiz show "Jeopardy!," earning $110,914 on Tuesday.

Holzhauer, harking back to his profession, used a trio of huge bets en route to the all-time record. The previous record Jeopardy! single-game record was $77,000 set by Roger Craig in 2010.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/las-vegas-man-shatters-jeopardy-one-day-record

Holzhauer is still crushing it.  Very knowledgeable, quick on the buzzer, effortlessly pulls answers under pressure, and not afraid to risk big bucks.  It may bite him in the ass eventually, but so far, his big wagers have only added to his total.  He did miss a Final Jeopardy question the other day, but it was a runaway, and so far, he has not risked enough to lose in those situations. 

I read where he got something like 139 of the first 143 questions asked, and I"m guessing that % has about continued. 

Pretty insane.  Says he makes most of his gambling money doing in-game stuff, which definitely requires the same fast and quick trigger needed on Jeopardy.

Dude is averaging $70,000 per game, a little more than twice the $34,000 average that Ken Jennings had.  He's within realistic reach of averaging the previous single day record ($77,000).  Insane.  I have my doubts that he will catch the record of 74 victories, or that he will even last long enough to claim the earnings title (would need 36 wins at current pace).  He's the most dominant player ever, and I would love to see him obliterate all the records, but bad days happen, and there are other badasses out there, waiting for a shot. 

He will likely get taken out by a one and done who can match his buzzer skill and gets the perfect set of categories.  I wonder how many potential long run players he has knocked out?

On 4/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, idigTexas said:

Dude is averaging $70,000 per game, a little more than twice the $34,000 average that Ken Jennings had.  He's within realistic reach of averaging the previous single day record ($77,000).  Insane.  I have my doubts that he will catch the record of 74 victories, or that he will even last long enough to claim the earnings title (would need 36 wins at current pace).  He's the most dominant player ever, and I would love to see him obliterate all the records, but bad days happen, and there are other badasses out there, waiting for a shot. 

And the really crazy thing is he's not even maxing what his possible per game winnings could be by continuing to play around with his Final Jeopardy wagers:

Holzhauer paid tribute to his nephew, Jack, with his first Final Jeopardy wager, $3,268, in honor of his March 26, 2008, birthday. And on Monday, April 8, he wished his father a happy birthday and wagered $7,030. His father was born July 30, 1941.

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Robotic.  No other way to describe him. 

I watched the first full episode of him last night and  don't see how he's going to lose, unless he simply says "Enough."

This is the first one I’ve seen from the start, it’s silly how calm he is.

And like someone mentioned earlier, it would REALLY suck to finally make the show against this brick wall. 

5 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

He’s a fairly likable guy too, like Jennings- unlike the insufferable douchebag buzzy and that weird bartender from NYC, Austin Rogers.

Austin Rodgers is pretty likable. Doesn’t take himself too seriously.

Buzzy is a bit obnoxious I’ll give you that. 

He's the Chuck Norris of Jeopardy, but that may be underselling it.  His reality is better than anything I have come close to in my Jeopardy fantasies.  The people who are unlucky enough to get scheduled during his run look defeated before the first round even starts.  By the time the second round starts I think some have stopped trying to buzz in at all.  A poor woman the other day finally beat him to the buzzer only to not have any idea how to answer the clue.