This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

Dang.......40 Days - $1,382,800. Serious earnings. 

When I lived in Japan, my roommate was/is a writer and one of the smartest guys I've ever known. He tried out for Jeopardy and it made it to the Tournament of Champions before losing to Ken Jennings. I think he won somewhere around $125,000. 

He told me he got slammed three times on the taxes. He had to pay US Fed taxes, California taxes and Japanese income taxes. Ouch. 

• Fuck You 1

I wasn't a big fan of today's FJ

Spoiler

In Houston at least, there was a commercial for the new Death on the Nile movie right before coming back for FJ.  First of all, that was a bit of a spoiler.  Also, are FJ clues for sale now?  That just seems kind of shitty.

16 hours ago, WBT said:

I wasn't a big fan of today's FJ

Hide contents

In Houston at least, there was a commercial for the new Death on the Nile movie right before coming back for FJ.  First of all, that was a bit of a spoiler.  Also, are FJ clues for sale now?  That just seems kind of shitty.

Hmm - I didn't notice that, but they aren't above a little Sony self-promotion from time to time. 

This map accompanying a question and answer about Caracas, Venezuela was pretty stupid and unnecessary. Granted, the kid should have known that the answer wasn't "Brazilia" but this map sure didn't seem like anything but deliberate (or incompetent) misdirection. 

20220208_193403.jpg

Also, the primetime college tournament started last night.  The format is different: winners only advance from 12 QF games to 4 SF games.  Only the top 3 scoring winners advance from the QF games to the final.  It wasn't clear to me if the final would be 2 games or just 1.

That's so awesome for him and the school.  

I loved his interview where the guy asked him what his secret to winning was.  He shrugged and replied simply, "I buzz fast.  And I know things."  

Yeah, I'm cross-posting.  

Should it just be:

"Buzz Fast.

Know Things.

Hook 'Em." 

Gotta get around the trademark deal somehow.  By the time the co-op/Belmont approves this, it'll be next year's College Tournament already.  

I watched pretty much the whole tournament and really enjoyed it.  There were some very smart kids in it, but I was a little surprised at some of the gaps in their knowledge.  I remember in one game the question was what does NATO stand for and there were two wrong guesses and a pass.  Also, there were 36 colleges and universities represented in the tournament, but I must have missed the game that had the aggy representative.

17 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I watched pretty much the whole tournament and really enjoyed it.  There were some very smart kids in it, but I was a little surprised at some of the gaps in their knowledge.  I remember in one game the question was what does NATO stand for and there were two wrong guesses and a pass.  Also, there were 36 colleges and universities represented in the tournament, but I must have missed the game that had the aggy representative.

Yeah, I remember being surprised at the NATO question as well.

Jaskaran was impressive - he really outclassed the field by a significant margin.