This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

12 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Jennings and Bialik just aren’t good hosts. It’s hard for me to watch either of them.

Alex >>>>>Jennings>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bialik.  I like Jennings and he was far and away the best of the guest hosts they paraded through last year.

I hated to see Ray go down on Monday.  He was one of my season favorites.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Don't know about the daily Jeopardy show but she is hosting Celebrity Jeopardy.

Ahhhh that must be it. The ol' reassignment to get someone out of the way. 

I think Jennings is great fwiw. Anyone complaining that he isn't as good as Trebek is being silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Please spare me the high school reunion shit. Obviously Miyam is hosting but the boards are stupid. It's either really easy shit or overly academic/school subject knowledge that isn't really trivia. 

Just give me Jeopardy dammit. 

No.  We actually want stupid shit for Miyam to host.  Otherwise, she might go back to hosting the real Jeopardy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

We don't watch anything with Mayim, and have always skipped the easy/softball tournaments (Celebrity, College, Pundit Week, Kids, etc.). Teachers is the easiest one that we watch. 

I think Ken is doing a great job. I appreciate his occasional snark during the interview portion. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, ztejas said:

Please spare me the high school reunion shit. Obviously Miyam is hosting but the boards are stupid. It's either really easy shit or overly academic/school subject knowledge that isn't really trivia. 

Just give me Jeopardy dammit. 

They put some sports questions up. Four easy ones and the last was about polo. The fucking nerds missed every single one in the category yesterday and it was obvious the dog faced host didn't know the answers either.

13 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

They put some sports questions up. Four easy ones and the last was about polo. The fucking nerds missed every single one in the category yesterday and it was obvious the dog faced host didn't know the answers either.

Yeah that was amazing. The one about golf that dude guessed water polo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, ztejas said:

Did they get rid of Bialik? Haven't seen here in forever. 

One reason she hasn't been hosting is because her regular show filming schedule interferes with her hosting in the fall/early winter.

Frankly it was nice because Ken is rounding into a really damn good host. Is he a step down from Alex? Yes, but he's closing the gap.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just watched Monday's show.  The leader hit a DD on the final clue of DJ.  She had 21400 and 2nd place had 12400.  She bet 3000 and got it right, leaving her 401 short of a runaway game.

Where do they find these innumerate clowns?

• Hook 'Em 1

I just watched Monday's show.  The leader hit a DD on the final clue of DJ.  She had 21400 and 2nd place had 12400.  She bet 3000 and got it right, leaving her 401 short of a runaway game.
Wait til you watch today's game. Flash backs to Cliff Clavin.

Oh, also from Monday's game, the UNESCO category clue about the castells (human towers) hit close to home.  I saw that in person at the Santa Tecla festival in Tarragona.  It's very cool although watching the 8 year olds in their little helmets climb up to be the toppers is frightening.

On 3/22/2023 at 4:35 PM, Jerry Callo said:
On 3/22/2023 at 3:00 PM, WBT said:

Wait til you watch today's game. Flash backs to Cliff Clavin.

Just watched it...wow.  At least she was cute?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find myself rooting for Sam the Steve Martin lookalike.  He was right there with James last night until James hit the back to back DDs and should have had the win tonight but missed an easyish FJ.

Pretty impressive that he's hanging in there at what?  60ish?

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Well this is some pertinent news: Bialik‘s show Call Me Kat was cancelled. 

https://deadline.com/2023/05/mayim-bialik-goodbye-call-me-kat-fox-cancellation-shares-where-characters-wouldve-ended-up-1235360035/amp/

What that means for hosts … ?

Goddammit. This isn't good news for anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeopardy Masters - I had to pull down episodes 1-3 because I forgot to set up the DVR.

First - the format - I really like the format of the tournament. This is a lot better than the format they ran out for the other tournaments before (outside of the new final format).

Responding to some of the thoughts:

On 5/8/2023 at 11:03 PM, WBT said:

This new masters tournament is dumb.  James is going to destroy these clowns.

Well as episode 2 showed, not so fast my friend.

No question, he is a great player, but this field is really, REALLY stacked. Don't sell anyone short. James is damn solid though and going to be hard to beat. The trick - keep him from the Daily Doubles.

23 hours ago, WBT said:

I find myself rooting for Sam the Steve Martin lookalike.  He was right there with James last night until James hit the back to back DDs and should have had the win tonight but missed an easyish FJ.

Pretty impressive that he's hanging in there at what?  60ish?

Sam - yeah, me too. I think he is sneaky good. His one failing he isn't quick on the buzzer, if he had that he would be right there with all of these guys.

22 hours ago, WBT said:

Great 2nd game tonight.

Based on last night I thought Andrew would be the one to give James a challenge.

Andrew is my pick to win this tournament. He is really damn good, and only getting better. I was shocked he didn't win the TOC last year.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat does not like that broad. Something about her attitude.

I assume you mean Mattea? I have to admit, I really like her. She's fun.

She is gregarious, but she isn't smug (i mean we've seen a lot of smug champs go through this show). I get that she isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of the hate I see, I don't get.

Quick thoughts final thoughts:

Amy - we know her game. She's good. I don't think she's at the top of her game like she's been before, but she's still there.

Amodio - I'm curious to see if he rounds his game out again. He wasn't in form in the TOC last year. He seems to be playing much better in the two games thus far.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, Ken is taking over while Mayim takes some time off the show out of solidarity with the writers on strike. My wife is convinced the producers asked her to take a break after she went on Celebrity Wheel this week. She was acting like she was on coke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Well, Ken is taking over while Mayim takes some time off the show out of solidarity with the writers on strike. My wife is convinced the producers asked her to take a break after she went on Celebrity Wheel this week. She was acting like she was on coke. 

We don't watch Wheel, but my wife is also convinced that she's been told to make herself scarce. 

Based on what I think I know about Mayim, it would surprise me if she used coke, but one of my constant observations and aggravations about her hosting abilities is that she just doesn't quite seem to know how to act appropriately for a given situation. She often laughs when Daily Doubles are discovered; she has no skill/social adroitness to make the interview segment go smoothly, she always sounds like she's on the verge of laughter but that she's just barely able to contain herself (I've mentioned this before, but it reminds me of the kids back in high school who would smoke pot for the first time and who would not do it right, but who would nevertheless act like they think they're supposed to act when they're high), her ability to make the the process of revealing the final jeopardy guesses and wagers into an exciting finish is absolutely nonexistent (also rote and robotic and formulaic and completely lacking in observation, passion, suspense, or excitement), etc. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear that she probably "put on the wrong mask for the occasion" yet again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t think they have asked her to go. My wife’s view was that Bialik was going to get bored with the gig. She’s an actor, this wasn’t that. Frankly I have seen little from her that tells me she is doing anything to get better at her role hosting. Ken has constantly improved since he was named a host. But Bialik has remained the same, a great example is everything Precipice said.

if anything, this is her boredom given an out. And she took it because she also just got canned from her gig.

Win for us because this strike likely goes well into the fall. Someone connected in the Strike thread said Halloween time frame. 

Ben who had some kind of medical issue that caused him to take a break after his third win came back today and trounced Hannah.  She had won 8 games and a lot of money but she never seemed that strong to me.  It seems like she had several games with really weak competition.

A question and two thoughts, all on Jeopardy Masters:

Q: What do you think of the revealed Daily Doubles?

A/Thought: I'm torn, I like the suspense, but it's not like revealing it give a way a lot. Call me 50/50 thus far.

Thought 2: The Masters tournament is revealing just how good Ken is at his job. I get that he is likely friends with these guys, but how he has the wit to banter with these guys is impressive. He's clearly taking classes (improv) to help him be quick on his feet and just generally able to verbally spar with people. Again, just more proof of what he's doing to get better at this job.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We're not even watching the current shows with Mayim. We've got enough reruns that have accumulated on our DVR that we can likely avoid her altogether until Ken comes back. 

I like to guess what category the Daily Doubles are in before they're revealed, but otherwise don't really have much opinion on this new wrinkle. 

Hopefully they don't put the DD! thing in the regular game. My biggest knock watching it is that you at home can guess/prepare for a level of question in a category and maybe judge if a player should look to avoid it. But again it doesn't appear to add much of a change to the game.

Hopefully they just leave it in Masters and don't put it in regular Jeopardy! game play.