This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

Mike Richards emerging as the frontrunner to become the permanent host according to this article. 

I'm not thrilled, but I'm not dismayed at the prospect, either. I do think that if it's not Ken or Buzzy, he makes the most sense. Connection to the show without much in the way of pre-existing expectations, etc. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/

Watching Faber right now, and he’s very capable and could do the job. I always suspected Producer Mike accepted the job with the proviso he’d get a shot at replacing Trebek. The nonsense about how he had to fill in several months ago due to a scheduling emergency was a silly cover, he was always going to get a trial run. 

Richards was alright so I don’t really have an issue if he’s the permanent host. I do remember thinking he’d be a better fit for a show like Wheel of Fortune whenever Sajak retires though. I think the way they’ve had so many different guest hosts rotate through was brilliant purely because it created a lot of separation as opposed to jumping straight from Trebek to the new host.

Possible snag in today’s world. 

Just days from being named new host of Jeopardy!, Richards, who had joined the show as executive producer a few months before Trebek’s death, has been linked to allegations from a decade ago.

During his stint as co-executive producer/executive producer on The Price Is Right, Richards was implicated in discrimination lawsuits by former models on the show, including in a 2010 complaint by Brandi Cochran who was awarded $8.5 million in damages; after an appeal, the case was ultimately settled. A later lawsuit with another model also was settled. (While featured in both complaints, Richards was only named as a defendant in the second lawsuit. He was later removed.)

Richards has yet to comment publicly on the resurfaced allegations that include insensitive comments about pregnant women attributed to him in Cochran’s suit.

There also has been radio silence from Jeopardy!studio Sony Pictures Television, which has been conducting the host search. But days after word of Richards’ pending deal got out, he has still not officially been announced as the new host, triggering more speculation along with questions about the integrity of the search, which Richards, as EP on the show, spearheaded on behalf of Sony TV.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-start-end-host-search-213612285.html

• Hook 'Em 1

He was the guy all along, hired to be the replacement, it was a charade. I didn’t see any of the Bialik shows, but I understand she (obviously) presented a different approach, and has some academic bonafides. Maybe one of the specials will be a Blossom reunion, and we can enjoy just how stupid Joey Lawrence is in real life. 

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

I thought Blossom was one of the weaker guest hosts.  I suspect Richards will be fine.

It’s funny how varied the opinions have been on the guest hosts. My favorites were Jennings and Bialik. I think Gupta, Joe Buck and Buzzy have done a fine job.

I really didn’t likeRodgers and Cooper and it seems like a lot of people really liked them.

Yeah, I'm also surprised by the lack of much consensus on the various guest hosts. 

My list would be:

Ken or David Faber

Buzzy 

Dr. Gupta 

Aaron Rodgers (but I think I appreciate his brand of humor more than most people, so I never viewed him as a legitimate contender, even aside from the day job issue) 

Didn't like anyone else enough to rate. 

you could have remained in your cushy job making a big paycheck in relative obscurity with no one ever bothering to figure out you said some shitty things on a podcast no one ever listened to but nooooo, you had to make yourself the host and now you might lose everything:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/anti-defamation-league-calls-investigation-003333446.html

Good. 

I thought he did a passable job at hosting (very much just a generic and anodyne presence) but the more shit that comes out, the less I want him. 

I wanted him out when all the Machiavellian reports surfaced, but the more of his "edgelord" type of commentary I heard, the more angry I got. 

Some executive(s) at Sony should be fired for this. I can't imagine how they could have done a worse job at this entire process. Business school case study for the ages... 

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

He wasn’t very good. Not saying he couldn’t grow into it and establish some roots in the show, but it’s hard to see that without something sharpening his vision of hosting.

But you don’t have to take my word for it.

ISWYDT

I think I read they had resumed taping this week, could be misremembering. If so and it’s the actual resumption of game play, that would be interesting to see how they handle it. Replay the games with a new host?

Never mind, this article reveals he will appear as the host for one week, then as mentioned upthread, the guests return.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/08/20/jeopardy-host-mike-richards-quits-show-halts-production/8209506002/

The letter said Sony Pictures Television is resuming its search for a permanent syndicated host and will bring back guest hosts in the meantime. Richards will appear as host for the pre-recorded episodes airing the week of Sept. 13. The first new guest host will begin on Sept. 20.

Edited by Vito Andolini

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Some executive(s) at Sony should be fired for this. I can't imagine how they could have done a worse job at this entire process. Business school case study for the ages... 

Yep.  When you start out with issues/concerns being raised from the very beginning, when there were plenty of folks who didn't have issues/concerns, you're doing it wrong.

But he was an insider and probably knows where plenty of bodies are buried/made some promises/who knows what.

3 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

He wasn’t very good. Not saying he couldn’t grow into it and establish some roots in the show, but it’s hard to see that without something sharpening his vision of hosting.

But you don’t have to take my word for it.

Well after reading your post I guess you're right. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  When you start out with issues/concerns being raised from the very beginning, when there were plenty of folks who didn't have issues/concerns, you're doing it wrong.

But he was an insider and probably knows where plenty of bodies are buried/made some promises/who knows what.

It's also Sony, they are incompetent

• Hook 'Em 1