This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

Csb/ holy Shiite.  I’m in the same room with Jaskaran Singh here at McCombs.  There’s titans of industry in every corner, then my sorry ass, and him 

and everybody is waiting to talk to him.  He seems so cool. 

25 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Is there a site that records all the questions and what date they were asked?

I swear I remember Kate spade being an answer the day before she died.

https://j-archive.com/

And you are correct.  Designer Initials for 800.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6003

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

#8272, aired 2020-11-03 GESTURES $600: The University of Texas at Austin uses this gesture, also a slogan

#7770, aired 2018-05-25 SIGNS & GESTURES $800: This gesture of support for the University of Texas at Austin was introduced at a 1955 pep rally
#6722, aired 2013-12-03 HOOK $1000: University of Texas cheerleader Harley Clark created the gesture known by this phrase

#5169, aired 2007-02-15 LET'S CHECK OUT SOME COLLEGES $400: Check out the LBJ Library and the J.J. Pickle Research Campus at this state university and hook 'em, Horns!
#3962, aired 2001-11-20 HAND GESTURES $600: (Sofia of the Clue Crew puts up her pinky and index finger, the other fingers held down by her thumb.) The gesture seen here says "hook 'em" this college football team

gig 'em aggies - 0 results returned

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:
#8272, aired 2020-11-03 GESTURES $600: The University of Texas at Austin uses this gesture, also a slogan

#7770, aired 2018-05-25 SIGNS & GESTURES $800: This gesture of support for the University of Texas at Austin was introduced at a 1955 pep rally
#6722, aired 2013-12-03 HOOK $1000: University of Texas cheerleader Harley Clark created the gesture known by this phrase

#5169, aired 2007-02-15 LET'S CHECK OUT SOME COLLEGES $400: Check out the LBJ Library and the J.J. Pickle Research Campus at this state university and hook 'em, Horns!
#3962, aired 2001-11-20 HAND GESTURES $600: (Sofia of the Clue Crew puts up her pinky and index finger, the other fingers held down by her thumb.) The gesture seen here says "hook 'em" this college football team

gig 'em aggies - 0 results returned

Hook'em!!

Edited by mininghorn88

• 3 weeks later...

WATCH THE UNAIRED PILOT OF JEOPARDY! FROM 1964

Fifty eight years ago in 1964, entertainment mogul Merv Griffin and his wife Julann Griffin’s vision of a game show, in which contestants respond to an answer with a question, came to life when the pilot of Jeopardy! was filmed.

The pilot episode, which was taped in New York City, featured three lively contestants and Art Fleming as the host. It was used as a test episode before the show was officially picked up for production by NBCUniversal.

While the pilot was instrumental in getting the first iteration of Jeopardy! off the ground, the episode has never aired in its entirety.

As part of our first-ever JeoparDAY! celebration, we will be hosting a virtual watch party of the pilot episode from 1964 on our YouTube channel(Opens an external site) on March 30 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.

Grab your party hats and snacks, and join us as we relive the magic that laid the foundation for the Jeopardy! we know and love today!

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

No clue what WBT was going for above, but... 

Not sure what happened to my copy/paste but that was supposed to be a release that they were putting up the unaired pilot of the original version hosted by Art Fleming.  Anyway, it's now up on youtube.

My dad always talks about having watched the Art Fleming version when he was in college.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:06 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Kinda bizarre how Roach’s wager and that of the eventual winner just happened to create a $1 margin of victory. 

It wasn't a coincidence.  I don't know why the winner wouldn't have bet more but it was clear that Mattea would have to bet at least that much to cover a 2nd place double up.

Blossom back today...maybe she lost on purpose to not have to deal with that.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ss13 said:

And once when the other chick didn’t quite finish writing her correct answer. 

That was total bullshit. 

Is it just me, or is Mayim truly bad at this job? I don't think she's any better than mediocre at any specific aspect of her duties. She doesn't seem to have a very broad knowledge base; her "interesting follow up" comments are limited almost entirely to shit that nearly every viewer already knows; she rules on incorrect answers way too quickly and yet takes way too long to rule correctly; her contestant interviews are rote, perfunctory, awkward, and almost transactional in their stilted superficiality (they almost always end with a generic "that's amazing!" or "that's incredible!"); she laughs at the discovery of a Daily Double at least once per show; and she's just generally a little aloof and condescending. 

I feel like the producers are doing everything they can to increase "popularity" by appealing to the least common denominator, but this isn't (or at least it wasn't) that kind of show... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

It seems like every new champion wins a minimum of 5 games this season and a lot of them haven't been that impressive.

It really seems like there have been some significant changes made in the selection and casting process. Some of these people should have been on Wheel of Fortune, not Jeopardy!. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Is it just me, or is Mayim truly bad at this job?

Yeah, she's incredibly bad and doesn't seem to be getting better.  Almost everything she says seems wooden and fake.  It also seems like she's barely following the flow of the game...I'm not sure quite how to describe it but she's like the anti-Alex in that regard.

I thought Ken was getting really good in his last stint but it doesn't seem like they want to give him the job.

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, she's incredibly bad and doesn't seem to be getting better.  Almost everything she says seems wooden and fake.  It also seems like she's barely following the flow of the game...I'm not sure quite how to describe it but she's like the anti-Alex in that regard.

I thought Ken was getting really good in his last stint but it doesn't seem like they want to give him the job.

Ken made some edgy/politically incorrect Tweets long ago and refuses to delete them, even though he's said that he's embarrassed by them, etc., because he thinks it's better to leave them up, admit that he was wrong, and apologize rather than just delete and pretend that it never happened. 

So that's what's driving the bus off the cliff instead of towards the most obvious solution to a problem of the producers' own making. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday's fj kind of pissed me off.  First, it was a triple stumper on what I thought was a relatively easy question, where the incorrect answers of new york and san francisco didn't really make sense.

But even worse was the wagering:

1st with 15000 bet 13000

2nd with 13900 bet 13000

3rd with 7200 bet 7199

There's no reason for either 2nd or 3rd place to bet so much that the leader could still win.

• 2 weeks later...

First I want to chime in on some stupidity from Entertainment Weekly for this garbage article:

Math professor's minor miscalculation leads to major upset in Final Jeopardy
https://ew.com/tv/math-professor-loses-jeopardy-two-dollars/

They include a video of 11 July FJ! and just NO. They want the headline because the guy is a math professor, but his wager is right! He lost by $2, but not because of any calculation error. Had he gotten the question right, he is 2x second place +$1. If anyone made a calculation error it was the 2nd place guy who wagered the exact same amount and won by $2. But because he needed to get the question right to even have a chance, he might as well have gone all in and maximized his winnings.

And then Yesterday, (12 July) you had this boner of a wager.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv-shows/2022/07/13/jeopardy-contestant-loses-first-place-enten-berman-keilar-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/atv-trending-videos/

First place $20K, Second place $10K and 2nd place didn't bet it all!!! COME ON MAN!!! WTF!?!?!? 2nd place was the only one that got it right and should have won!!! UGH!!!

Now, on Mayim Bialik, since I see a lot of hate here. 1 I don't think she is great at the job. I think her biggest issue is that she doesn't facilitate the game well. She doesn't have enough right/wrong catchphrases to go to. I think as the game transitions (ie the 3 commercial breaks), she doesn't handle well. Example:

When the Jeopardy! round ends, Ken recaps where everyone stands before cutting to break. Mayim generally just goes to break "That's the end of Single Jeopardy! and we'll be right back!" In the end it's a game and giving a recap really helps. And don't get me started on "Single Jeopardy!"

I'm a little hesitant to judge her on in game judgement because there is also the judges. They intervene a lot, for example my understanding was that Harriet Tubman was their ruling, not Bialik's. I've heard it was post time completion.

I think Jennings does eveyrthing I was talking about. You can just tell he cares about the product and does a better job.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

She doesn't have enough right/wrong catchphrases to go to.

"We know that's not correct."  Every single time in FJ when a previous player has already gotten it right or when a player repeats the same wrong answer.

Remember what it was like in high school or college when there would be some dork who had never smoked pot before, and then they take a little tiny hit for the first time and then even though they're not actually high in the slightest, they nevertheless begin to act like they think they're supposed to act when they're high, while everyone else can tell that they're a phony tryhard? 

That's about how I view her constant and contrived "speaking like you're doing your best to stifle laughter but at any moment you just might lose control and burst out laughing" schtick.

Finding a daily double isn't funny, Mayim.  It happens three times a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

and yet takes way too long to rule correctly

This pisses me off. This isn't WWTBAM. 

I've been watching in the afternoons when work is slow. Is anything better than sweeping a category? Or multiple categories? It's so satisfying. Especially when one of the clues goes unanswered.

Anyone sweep boards ever? 

And holy shit Mattea has some rough teeth.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:31 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’m thinking ol’ boy Josh Hill needs another hobby. 

Not sure if you're aware, but his hobby is being a furry.  Remember that silly "scratching cat" pantomime he did during his introductions? 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Trying to watch the Celebrity edition with Reggie Watts is one of the most frustrating and annoying things I’ve tried in years. Iliza Shlesinger is almost as bad. Holy fuck this is awful. 

Agreed.  The "Celebrity" edition is not good.  Although, it gives Mayim Bialik something to do that is not hosting the primary show.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm behind and just started watching the 1st episode of the 2nd chance tournament.  Who is this for?  Last season had a lot of long runs by players that I didn't think were that good. 

So now we have to bring back the people that enabled that to happen?  And it's not even a real tournament as there will be two people advance to the TOC instead of just one?

At the end of the two day final for week one of the 2nd chances, the player in middle position had a run away for the combined total...but then bet enough that either of the other two could have passed her if she missed.  But it was a triple stumper so she won anyway.  She definitely showed she was deserving of a TOC spot.