Ric Ocasek RIP

HenryJames

Holy shit.  This is a shocker.  I guess I should get used to major musicians from my youth dying as time marches on ... but I don't want to.

RIP

Pulled this from The Cars thread I posted awhile back.

csb

Got last minute tickets to Lollapalooza, about 10 years ago.  Glanced at the line up and saw Big Audio Dynamite, so I was in. Met up with friends, had a shitload of drinks, and while walking to my hotel saw Ric Ocasek outside smoking.

Me:  Hey are you Ric Ocasek? (looking around for his wife)

Ocasek: (takes a drag of his cigarette, looks away)

Me:  You guys playing tomorrow?

Ocasek: (takes another drag, looks at me like I'm an idiot)

Me: (obviously drunk) You know, you guys should tour more. Fans would love to see you. I mean, when was the last time you toured? Jesus, the number of hits you guys have.

Ocasek: (throws cigarette to ground, walks away)

Me: Hey man, love you guys!

/csb

*Forgot to add some serious thunderstorm hit Chicago and they evacuated everyone from the concert. Didn't even get to see them. 

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn...I loved the Cars as a kid and they provided a lot of the music I listens to for about a 15 year stretch. The first album I ever loved as a kid was Candy-O. I loved the music but as any red blooded American boy would, I loved the cover of the album. RIP and thanks Rick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I have no doubt Ric died a happy man. How any guy that goofy looking ended up marrying Paulina Porizkova defies the odds. He wasn't THAT talented.

I wasn't the only person who noticed that teenage me looked a lot like Ric, so it was very gruntling when he bagged Paulina.  

While in college, one of my claims to fame is being the first DJ to play three songs in Dallas, hell Texas, that no one had heard before. The Motels “only the lonely”, soft cell “tainted love” and this...

Pete Thompson from KAFM offered me a job after seeing my packed club during the summer I was home from school. I made a hard choice to turn that down to go back to school at Texas...
  • Like 1

He and Paulina split last year after a pretty long run together.  The Cars were one of the soundtracks to my high school days as well.  Loved their music, saw them in concert in 1979 and 1981.  Hands down the two worst concerts I've ever been to.  Like watching a bunch of mannequins.  Barely moved for 2 hours.

Damn.... sucks, right after Eddie Money.  RIP to a guy that totally married way out of his league.  My dad loved The Cars and made me tapes of all their stuff.  Tough when Ben died, now Ric.  Salute to them.  I always liked this one, as a kid, it made me giggle.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

He and Paulina split last year after a pretty long run together.  The Cars were one of the soundtracks to my high school days as well.  Loved their music, saw them in concert in 1979 and 1981.  Hands down the two worst concerts I've ever been to.  Like watching a bunch of mannequins.  Barely moved for 2 hours.

Yeah, they were definitely better on vinyl and video than on stage.  RIP youth.