Tequila y Mezcal

NoRagrets

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

How much time you got?

but seriously, anything by Pal Alma/Almamezcalera, Real Minero, or Neta. Really depends on what type of varietal(s) you are looking for. 

Ha! Thanks, looking for something I can't get in the U.S., not too herbal tasting.  Went to Oaxaca last November, didn't know shit about mezcal (still don't); had a mezcal tasting outside Teotitlan del Valle when our driver took us by a palenque.  Bought a bottle to take home, but turns out it wasn't in the sweet spot of alcohol percentage.  It wasn't bad though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Ha! Thanks, looking for something I can't get in the U.S., not too herbal tasting.  Went to Oaxaca last November, didn't know shit about mezcal (still don't); had a mezcal tasting outside Teotitlan del Valle when our driver took us by a palenque.  Bought a bottle to take home, but turns out it wasn't in the sweet spot of alcohol percentage.  It wasn't bad though.  

In that case, Sanzekan is legit, as is anything by Dixeebe

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Nice! Never seen those two on the right. The espina negra tobala is supposed to be really good, but ive never had it. I believe its available in the states, but I may be wrong. Lemme know your thoughts on each

Will do.  Taking the espina negra (I do believe available in the U.S. as well) and cuero viejo home; the Sinai is for sipping here straight and in cocktails (bought fresh grapefruit and lime/cucumber juices for mixers).

Grapefruit must be in season, heavy smell in the fruit section…smells freakin’ awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Por qué?

There has very little distinguishable flavor other than rubbing alcohol/heat.  Been sitting on it for months trying to get into it and had my sommelier sister in law try it to see what she thought and it's just a poor expression from this distiller.  Especially at the price point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I usually go through Tanteo Jalapeño pretty fast, but a neighbor just dropped off a bottle of this and said it makes a killer ranch water. Will report back.

d6fd7e4ad3526078ef808461904cc4bd.jpg

Following . . .

Never followed up on this. It’s ok to put in cocktails but I’ve been seeking out additive free tequilas lately. At some point I’ll try making my own cucumber/jalapeño tequila with a good clean Blanco.

Really there are only 3-4 blancos worth a shit in the US market: Fortaleza (my go to), Cascahuin, G4, and mayyyybe Siete Leguas (havent followed up with their practices in 4-5 years but they used to be legit). Almost every other tequila producer uses additives and/or diffusers on their agave. 

that reposado is cheap. Ive seen it in Houston for more… when its on the shelves. I usually pay around that much for the Fortaleza blanco. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Don’t sleep on that Cascahuin. It’s also a great tequila and much easier to find.

It’s on my list. Should have picked it up when I was there. 

Found the Fortaleza elsewhere but the told it’s “allocated” and I could only have one. Here we go…