Tequila y Mezcal

NoRagrets

Scotch is overrated uppity BS (honestly I love it too)

vodka is for people that don't like flavor

bourbon is too sweet

beer is awesome but makes you fat

wine is for food and communion

Tequila is amazing. It's meant for sipping. Let's discuss.

• Like 1

Herradura reposado is my favorite right now.

espalon is my go to cheap tequila.

not impressed by qui

el padrino (total wine) is a very good value tequila for making margaritas. By margarita, I mean hand squeezed lime, a dash of salt, a small amount of club soda, and two shots of tequila.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anejo is aged 12+months 

Repo is aged 2 to 12 months

Blanco is 0 to 2 months

Longer the age the more it taste like whisky and gets complex

The blanco's will have a more citrus flare by brand

Then we get into highland and lowland tequilas.......

• Hook 'Em 1

I met the “founder” of mezcal close to 3ish years ago in Central America when I threw out his drink on nye complaining it wasn’t tequila. Fucker was right that consumers don’t care but don’t sell me swill 

Edited by LostHorn
  • Like 1

Anejo is aged 12+months 
Repo is aged 2 to 12 months
Blanco is 0 to 2 months
Longer the age the more it taste like whisky and gets complex
The blanco's will have a more citrus flare by brand
Then we get into highland and lowland tequilas.......
You're close, but tequila (processed correctly) will never taste like whiskey. Whiskey is aged in new charred oak barrels. That's where the color and a lot of the flavor comes from. The sweetness comes from processing after aging like Jack Daniels does.

Tequila is aged in uncharred white oak barrels, hence the lighter color and flavor. The smokiness comes from baking the Pina before it's mashed.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules with artisan products.
  • Like 1

i like how you have to read 4 of bones posts before you get a complete paragraph.  

i like the smokiness of mezcal, and have a decent bottle at home but cant recall the brand now.  mezcal does not make great margaritas. its for sipping straight.  in my opinion, gold and reposados don't make great margaritas either. i prefer blanco or silver for that, but maybe i'm alone there.  

that are the surly thoughts on sotol?  i have not tried desert door yet but plan to.  i have tried the first one (maybe 10 yrs ago; clear, thin, handblown bottle; cant recall the name), and it was a nice compromise of mezcal and tequila.

• Like 1

Love love mezcal and have started putting together a nice collection thanks to various trips to Mexico (and Spec's).  If you like mezcal, check out Sotol which is Mezcal and Tequila's lesser known cousin.

Also, if you like mezcal and want to try something different, track down some pechuga (https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/2/9/10939962/what-is-mezcal-de-pechuga)

This stuff is the bomba... I think I paid about $60 for it in Mexico City.  Can't imagine what the cost is here.

LOS+DANZANTES+PECHUGA.jpg

Also, as for straight up tequila, I won't touch gold.  For sipping, I'm a big fan of Los Azulejos anejo and the Casamigos blanco. 

Edited by texasdago

8 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Herradurra is very good

Don julios anejo i like sipping on and have had a few pulls of that patron burdeos and that shit is smooth

Plus clase azul blanco in the white and blue bottle

I believe you and I would get along well.  Clase Azul Blanco is by far my go to sipping tequila, and I love the Don Julio Anejo with soda water and a dash of Simply Lime.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Love love mezcal and have started putting together a nice collection thanks to various trips to Mexico (and Spec's).  If you like mezcal, check out Sotol which is Mezcal and Tequila's lesser known cousin.

Also, if you like mezcal and want to try something different, track down some pechuga (https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/2/9/10939962/what-is-mezcal-de-pechuga)

This stuff is the bomba... I think I paid about $60 for it in Mexico City.  Can't imagine what the cost is here.

LOS+DANZANTES+PECHUGA.jpg

Also, as for straight up tequila, I won't touch gold.  For sipping, I'm a big fan of Los Azulejos anejo and the Casamigos blanco. 

I had some of this sitting in my office for like 2 years and finally drake the bottle.  It was worth it.  They have it at Specs, it's prob not much more than $60. 

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I had a bottle of this sitting in my office for like 2 years and finally drake the bottle.  It was worth it.  They have it at Specs, it's prob not much more than $60. 

Are you referring to the pechuga?  Good luck finding it at Spec's or most anywhere that isn't special order.

Also, strongly recommend going to Alipus in Condesa if you go to Mexico City - http://www.alipus.com/home-1/ 

Tequila and Mezcal are my favorite spirits.

For some reason, I love the way it gets from plant to spirit. Tastes as if you are drinking a part of mexico/the earth.

De Maguey still cant be beat for Mezcal in my opinion. Tobala and Pechuga are fantastic

And any “tequila” that isnt made 100% from Weber Blue Agave aint tequila. Thats why its $5 a shot and $7 a margarita

Dont touch Cuervo, Patron, or anything that is gimmicky named or bottled. Also, anything with a worm in the bottle is shit

also, Desert Door is great Sotol. Especially for a Texas produced spirit

Edited by GreenspointTexas

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Read the pechuga article above.  The Los Danzantes one is pink because they use ground lady bug shells... Campari used to do that but now they use some artificial crap because who knows why.  Some backlash, I'm sure.

Will do, thx!  I refused to drink any that is not made of lady bug shells.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tequila and Mezcal are my favorite spirits.

For some reason, I love the way it gets from plant to spirit. Tastes as if you are drinking a part of mexico/the earth.

De Maguey still cant be beat for Mezcal in my opinion. Tobala and Pechuga are fantastic

And any “tequila” that isnt made 100% from Weber Blue Agave aint tequila. Thats why its $5 a shot and $7 a margarita

Dont touch Cuervo, Patron, or anything that is gimmicky named or bottled. Also, anything with a worm in the bottle is shit

also, Desert Door is great Sotol. Especially for a Texas produced spirit

Ok, I learned about Pechuga, but what's Tobala?  Also, my cousin Amber works at Desert Door.  I haven't been. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i like how you have to read 4 of bones posts before you get a complete paragraph.  

i like the smokiness of mezcal, and have a decent bottle at home but cant recall the brand now.  mezcal does not make great margaritas. its for sipping straight.  in my opinion, gold and reposados don't make great margaritas either. i prefer blanco or silver for that, but maybe i'm alone there.  

that are the surly thoughts on sotol?  i have not tried desert door yet but plan to.  i have tried the first one (maybe 10 yrs ago; clear, thin, handblown bottle; cant recall the name), and it was a nice compromise of mezcal and tequila.

In my defense,first post said let me sober up.....i did not 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tequila said:

I believe you and I would get along well.  Clase Azul Blanco is by far my go to sipping tequila, and I love the Don Julio Anejo with soda water and a dash of Simply Lime.  

Yes sir...great minds and what not

I met the “founder” of mezcal close to 3ish years ago in Central America when I threw out his drink on nye complaining it wasn’t tequila. Fucker was right that consumers don’t care but don’t sell me swill 

Was the guy a few centuries old?
  • Like 1

We drink a lot of tequila at the house and I am always buying different bottles to try something new. Over the years some of my favorites have been Chinaco, Dulce Vida, and Partida. I Typically buy reposados for everything but keep anejos and blancos on hand for whatever. My margarita recipe is tequila, limes, agave nectar, splash of orange liqueur and ice. Simple, fresh and very tasty.  I will be buying mezcal soon as I want to offer up something different this summer. I have a random bottle of Haciende de Chihuahua sotol from a Twins dollar day sale from a couple of years ago. I like it, but it's a little odd to me. I need a good recipe for it.

Let's see your go to tequila recipes, I want to try something new this patio season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Mezcal has a more smokey profile and goes great with orange compared to lime

iL joven and montelobos are good couldnt find the one i like one google

Pretty sure its Nogales and comes in a glass growler with a biege label

I haven't found a mezcal I love yet. I'm going to take this board's recs seriously and hopefully find some good shit to impress my friends with.

1 hour ago, JohnnyShotgun said:

We drink a lot of tequila at the house and I am always buying different bottles to try something new. Over the years some of my favorites have been Chinaco, Dulce Vida, and Partida. I Typically buy reposados for everything but keep anejos and blancos on hand for whatever. My margarita recipe is tequila, limes, agave nectar, splash of orange liqueur and ice. Simple, fresh and very tasty.  I will be buying mezcal soon as I want to offer up something different this summer. I have a random bottle of Haciende de Chihuahua sotol from a Twins dollar day sale from a couple of years ago. I like it, but it's a little odd to me. I need a good recipe for it.

Let's see your go to tequila recipes, I want to try something new this patio season.

2 shots of tequila

1 squeezed lime

fresh ground pink salt

dash of soda

maybe a tiny bit of orange liqueur

"Haciende de Chihuahua Sotol"

That's typically the only readily available Sotol.  I like it personally.  

Oh, if you ever want to try mezcal, do not buy Zignum.  Buy it if you want tequila but not if you want mezcal because there is zero smokiness to it.

16 hours ago, JohnnyShotgun said:

I use a variety of marg recipes... all pretty much the same.  Gotta have fresh lime juice, agave nectar, maybe some triple sec (maybe not), sometimes salt.  but, the difference maker for me is I use about 1/3 of a jap for each glass and muddle it with a little lime juice before pouring the margarita in.

Going to get a bottle of Herradura reposado for tonight.  I am new to drinking tequila straight so any knowledge that can be passed on is much appreciated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texasdago said:

"Haciende de Chihuahua Sotol"

That's typically the only readily available Sotol.  I like it personally.  

Oh, if you ever want to try mezcal, do not buy Zignum.  Buy it if you want tequila but not if you want mezcal because there is zero smokiness to it.

Guy at specs recommended zignum and it sucks.

Edited by NoRagrets

I like having a muddled jalapeno also sometimes...

I would recommend also if anyone wants to try a margarita i got from a bar that i did at home.

Get you a bottle of a decent blanco i do el jimador since im infusing it. Pour into a glass container with 2 jalapenos(sliced) and half of a grilled pineapple(chill after you cook it)...let that sit for 3 days and put back in tequila bottle...you now have infused tequila with some heat and sweetness

1.5 oz tequila .25 ounce agave nectar

.5 ounce lime juice and pineapple juice

If you have some tajin chili salt garnish with that

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2018 at 12:01 AM, JohnnyShotgun said:

Dulce vida and partida are nice 

7 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

I use a variety of marg recipes... all pretty much the same.  Gotta have fresh lime juice, agave nectar, maybe some triple sec (maybe not), sometimes salt.  but, the difference maker for me is I use about 1/3 of a jap for each glass and muddle it with a little lime juice before pouring the margarita in.

Going to get a bottle of Herradura reposado for tonight.  I am new to drinking tequila straight so any knowledge that can be passed on is much appreciated.

Not much to know about drinking it straight...get a nice repo or anejo and pour it neat and sip on it

Some like to add a squeeze of lime and/or pinch of salt....i only do salt on margs but will have a lime time to time while sipping

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Don't get me wrong: I love women.  But this craft mezcal/marketing exercise bullshit is getting to be too much for me. Take Gem and Bolts Mezcal.

"Alchemist-artist duo AdrinAdrina and Elliot Coon grew up together in a bohemian enclave deep inside Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains, and it was there they learned the importance of plant knowledge and how to create elixirs and tinctures from found herbs and botanicals.

Living as artists in Oakland the duo created their herbal elixirs for speakeasies and galleries around the city, eventually running their own space."

We understand you are an All-Female team- talk to us about this.

Jody Levy, Partner: We at GEM&BOLT Mezcal are a tribe of wild warriors who love to work and work to love. We believe in the power of family and look at our entire team as tribe. There is a power to having four female partners at the helm of a spirits company.  It is not just about what we do; it’s about how we do what we do. Our dynamic is caring and compassionate. Our work is rooted in transparency, collaboration and efficiency. Our mighty feminine spirits power our brand and our Mezcal with deep divine magic. This is the new paradigm of mission driven, collaborative business for men and women.

Talk to us about your mezcal being distilled with the super herb damiana?

AdrinAdrina, Co-Founder: We chose damiana because we wanted to share an herb with the world that has a strong spirit and celebratory style. Initially we were making a damiana tincture with a mezcal base that we used in cocktails at an art-space and speakeasy we co-founded in Oakland soon after we moved to Mexico. We quickly learned that the maguey plant which is used to make mezcal, and the damiana plant, love each other — thus we made our first mezcal infused with damiana

https://chilledmagazine.com/gem-and-bolt-mezcal-interview

"Tribe of wild warriors?"  "Our mighty feminine spirits power and brand and our Mezcal with DEEP DIVINE MAGIC?"

JEEEEEEEEEZUS!  It's fucking mezcal. And every time I hear the word "infused"  these days I know that a) it's going to be expensive b) it's going to make you say "what the fuck were they thinking"  and c) it's going to be expensive