Tequila y Mezcal

NoRagrets

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 8:55 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Really there are only 3-4 blancos worth a shit in the US market: Fortaleza (my go to), Cascahuin, G4, and mayyyybe Siete Leguas (havent followed up with their practices in 4-5 years but they used to be legit). Almost every other tequila producer uses additives and/or diffusers 

Man, that's said with such certainty. If you don't know it's full of shit one would believe it

One that is very quality is Tequila Ocho. Tequileño is great for the price as well. Cimarron is solid. 

You shouldn't want a smooth tequila or mezcal. You should want flavorful one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Las Almas Rotas in Dallas had that for their HOUSE pour. Not sure if they still do but that was the best "well" pour of any type of liquor I'd ever seen anywhere. 

Yeah this bottle is moving up my list of top mezcals I've had. Needs to breathe a bit but it is so balanced. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2023 at 12:50 AM, Hermanator said:

Man, that's said with such certainty. If you don't know it's full of shit one would believe it

One that is very quality is Tequila Ocho. Tequileño is great for the price as well. Cimarron is solid. 

This can't be said enough.  Tapatio, Arette, El Sueno, Volans, Mijenta, Inspirato, Wild Common and several others all beg to differ.  Strenuously. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Best/cheapest blanco handle for ranch waters? 

First person to say Don Julio gets punched. 

If you're emphasizing cheap then blue label Sauza is probably the best of the $20 range bottles for that sort of thing. Just make sure it says "made from 100 percent blue agave" on the bottle. Sauza also makes a cheaper one with a similar label that is headache inducing mixto garbage. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last fall an old work buddy talked me into going to one of the Mariners-Astros playoff games in Houston. He flew down from the PNW and after driving back to Austin on Friday, I convinced him to stay the weekend so we could tailgate and then catch the Iowa St football game. More than few braincells were knocked off plus plenty of laughs recalling the last 20+ years.  I'm not a big Tequila/Mezcal guy but we had so much fun that weekend (plus he stayed in our pool house) that for some reason he felt compelled to buy me a bottle of this. It tastes damn good to me but it is nowhere near inexpensive. Thoughts?

IMG_5884.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Thanks for the link Greenspoint, this confirms what I’ve suspected (and been pointed out to me, including you) that there is a lot of additives out there in the US tequila world.  Was at a bar last year and wanted a nice shot of mezcal or tequila.  They didn’t have any mezcal and not much of a tequila selection.  They recommended Casamigos, the one George Clooney is part owner of.  So I violated my own rule of not drinking celebrity booze and had a shot.  It was dark and tasted sickly sweet.  So I’ve been leery of a lot of tequila brands since then.

Trying to make up for my lack of mezcal reviews, I really appreciate all of y’all’s…

Finally got around to trying the Cuero Viejo that I bought in CDMX last year, was waiting for a special occasion.  It’s really nice, clean but complex if that makes any sense.  Distilled in Durango, instead of Oaxaca where most mezcal is distilled.  Recommend if you are around the Roma Sur neighborhood in CDMX and can stop by MisMezcales.

image.thumb.png.d57e4416308bc0e54dc4eaa9a338972d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone hoisting anything in particular for Cinco de Drinko?  I have precisely one bottle of mescal (Ilegal Reposado), some Corralejo tequila, and a few Pacificos that have been marinating in the fridge since the last time my son was over and we had a few beers.  That'll have to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was in Guadalajara a couple of weeks ago and visited the Cascahuin distillery. You can find the plata 48 repisado pretty easily, but the extra anejo is hard to find.

Worth the purchase at the distillery 

Screenshot_20230506_223222_Gallery.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dos hombres is a dogshit product. Please dont judge mezcal based on that bottle. Its basically casamigos

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you retract that statement.  That there bottle of mezcal is signed and numbered!!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Maybe a stupid question, but is it smoky like mezcal?

Not stupid but no, no smoke. It's honestly a pretty typical cane sugar rum profile. It's good but it didn't have any mezcal or unique elements that I thought might show up being processed thru the same gear as the mezcal. It was interesting to see several bottles of Oaxacan rum on the shelf. I'm sure with the current mezcal trend, mezcal makers are finding themselves with new resources and starting to take their craft in new directions. Should be fun to see what that region brings to different spirits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stupid, but taking a break from beer to lose some weight. I know, stupid.

I always liked ranch waters.

BIL uses Don Julio. It’s ok.

Found Fortaleza and El Tesoro on the internets. They are good to sip or mix IMO

Am I doing it right?

I want to get some Anejos / extra anejos but also don’t want to drop > $100 on an unknown.

Scared Ninja Turtles GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Stupid, but taking a break from beer to lose some weight. I know, stupid.

I always liked ranch waters.

BIL uses Don Julio. It’s ok.

Found Fortaleza and El Tesoro on the internets. They are good to sip or mix IMO

Am I doing it right?

I want to get some Anejos / extra anejos but also don’t want to drop > $100 on an unknown.

I'm not a tequila expert nor a regular consumer of ranch water, but my thoughts are as follow.

• Use a white/blanco tequila for ranch water
  • While I wouldn't use the cheapest of the cheap stuff for ranch water, margaritas or other tequila based cocktails, I wouldn't use top of the line tequila either.  As long as it's 100% blue agave, you should be fine.
  • I agree, Don Julio is ok, nothing special.  I'll have a shot of Milagro - Silver at my neighborhood Mexican restaurant because they don't have mezcal.  It's a nice, clean tasting tequila.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Last fall an old work buddy talked me into going to one of the Mariners-Astros playoff games in Houston. He flew down from the PNW and after driving back to Austin on Friday, I convinced him to stay the weekend so we could tailgate and then catch the Iowa St football game. More than few braincells were knocked off plus plenty of laughs recalling the last 20+ years.  I'm not a big Tequila/Mezcal guy but we had so much fun that weekend (plus he stayed in our pool house) that for some reason he felt compelled to buy me a bottle of this. It tastes damn good to me but it is nowhere near inexpensive. Thoughts?

IMG_5884.jpeg

That's Jorge Derecho's tequila. It looks like you got the top shelf bottle. Either the tequila or his songs will make you throw a a grito. Good combo. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:50 AM, Hermanator said:

Was going to reply but the first post was way too old and you answered it well.  So many good tequilas out right now, and if you don't like additives, plenty to choose from. I personally don't give a shit. If it tastes good, I'll drink it, if it doesn't, I won't; additives be damned. For instance, everyone is tatering the fuck out of Fortaleza but I've had the añejo and blanco on 3 different occasions, just not my bag. Hard pass for me. But if people are going to buy that out, should I really be upset if I don't like it? Not really, just don't want the run on bourbon to cross into tequila. That would fucking suck ass. 

As to good ones, agree on Ocho, and would add Siembra Valles/Azul, Tapatio, Casachuin Tahona, 7L, Pueblo Viejo, G4, and Lalo. And while I like it, I now it isn't for everyone but i do suggest people try JC Tradicional. Regular JC is obviously crap but Añejo Tradicional is (for me) fantastic at the price point.

But speaking of Lalo, does anyone know what austin based means? I don't get how they can be "tequila" and have brands be called 512 or austin based for Lalo. Does it just mean the HQs are in texas but all the plants, fermentation are in Mexico? Aren't there terroir laws and all that? I know Lalo had a grand opening party in austin a month ago or so but still confused on how it all shakes out.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:33 PM, Teebox said:

Anyone had ArteNOM Seleccion de 1146?  Got a bottle this afternoon and will crack this weekend, but never had it or anything from that NOM (Tears of LLorona, etc).

Had two bars near me in the last year that sold bad ass tequila. Very out of the blue and one would not expect them to have selections worth a shit. The first sadly closed down cause their idea of a breaded chicken and bacon burrito literally only had one long thin bacon strip in it (and yes I'm using the term correctly). The second, still going strong and a very nice surprise. They have the full 7L lineup, all the Arte Noms, and most G4. They even had G4 madera blanco which was divine. As for 1146, i liked it a lot. I've heard and it could very well be bullshit, but that it's the same juice as the Tears bottles but just made different? Dunno. But it is damn fine stuff. I can find it for $84 near me but just got a bottle of Primo that I had been meaning to buy so gonna finish it first then get the 1146. I will say the 1146 was way better than 1579 but that might be a personal preference, blanco v añejo thing as well.

Ok don’t hate me but I’m curious about that new Fieri / Hagar concoction called Santo. It has been certified additive free so that’s a good start. The bottle price has been steadily climbing at my Total Wine from mid-30s to low 50s. Jay Baer liked it.

I guess I need to find a bar that stocks it.

• Hook 'Em 1