Facebook AKA “Hydra” Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The kind of shit that washparkhorn mentioned may fly in Second Life because flying penises and GOR and furries, but it is not going to fly in a mainstream "metaverse" offering from somebody like Facebook.

Its happening. I'm becoming an old. Is everyone living it up in one of these meta universes and nobody told me? 

A researcher entered the metaverse wanting to study users' behavior on Meta's social-networking platform Horizon World. But within an hour after she donned her Oculus virtual-reality headset, she says, her avatar was raped in the virtual space.

"Metaverse: another cesspool of toxic content," a new report published by the nonprofit advocacy group SumOfUs on Tuesday, details the researcher's violent encounter in Meta's Horizon World.

According to SumOfUs' account, users invited the researcher to a private party on Horizon World earlier this month. Users in the same room then asked her to disable a setting that prevented others from getting within 4 feet of her.

The report linked to a video that the group says shows what happened to the researcher's avatar from her perspective. In the video, a male avatar is seen getting very close to her, while another male avatar stands nearby, watching. A bottle of what appears to be alcohol is then passed between the two avatars, per the 28-second video. Two male voices are heard making lewd comments in the video.

In a part of the video SumOfUs opted not to share but describe, the researcher "was led into a private room at a party where she was raped by a user who kept telling her to turn around so he could do it from behind while users outside the window could see — all while another user in the room watched and passed around a vodka bottle," per the report.

Even though it happened in virtual reality, the incident left the researcher "disoriented," she said in the report. The researcher noted her controller vibrated when the male avatars touched her, resulting in a physical sensation that was a result of what she was experiencing online.

"One part of my brain was like WTF is happening, the other part was like this isn't a real body, and another part was like, this is important research," she said in the report.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, wtf? this sounds so absurd it has to be made up, right?

Its the absurd timeline we live in. Society's feeble brains are failing to handle whats going on in the real world very well, so I have no doubt the metaverse will be an even bigger disaster. We have seen people completely lose touch with reality just from following social media. You think any of these Q-tards are gonna fare well in the coming immersive virtual worlds? Not only will it reinforce the idea that JFK Jr is planning to become Trump's next VP, they will be able to hang out and speak with him with their VR goggles on. 

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its the absurd timeline we live in. Society's feeble brains are failing to handle whats going on in the real world very well, so I have no doubt the metaverse will be an even bigger disaster. We have seen people completely lose touch with reality just from following social media. You think any of these Q-tards are gonna fare well in the coming immersive virtual worlds? Not only will it reinforce the idea that JFK Jr is planning to become Trump's next VP, they will be able to hang out and speak with him with their VR goggles on. 

Ready Player One will absolutely be a thing, except it's going to be a toxic nightmare that is going to break people psychologically and disable them from existing in the real world.  Enjoy y'all's morning.  

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ready Player One will absolutely be a thing, except it's going to be a toxic nightmare that is going to break people psychologically and disable them from existing in the real world.  Enjoy y'all's morning.  

There will be GQP metaverses, Dem Metaverses, Q metaverses, etc.... all set up to exploit and reinforce particular sets of beliefs. Why deal with the real world if it doesn't cater to your needs, when you can disappear in a virtual world where everyone agrees with you. 

Just now, Blotto said:

There will be GQP metaverses, Dem Metaverses, Q metaverses, etc.... all set up to exploit and reinforce particular sets of beliefs. Why deal with the real world if it doesn't cater to your needs, when you can disappear in a virtual world where everyone agrees with you. 

Can you imagine an aggy metaverse?

• 1 month later...

So I get on facebook maybe once a month now to check a specific group for hiking information.  I don't use it for anything else, so I don't know what it's really like anymore.  I just posted a legit question regarding an update of the info in that group and was met with a trolling douchebag response.  Is it just a cesspool of trolls now?  I mean, I know it always was, but I figured in a serious group thread like this, I could count on someone to actually answer me.  I guess not.  This is just what we are as a society.  It's fucking sad.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I get on facebook maybe once a month now to check a specific group for hiking information.  I don't use it for anything else, so I don't know what it's really like anymore.  I just posted a legit question regarding an update of the info in that group and was met with a trolling douchebag response.  Is it just a cesspool of trolls now?  I mean, I know it always was, but I figured in a serious group thread like this, I could count on someone to actually answer me.  I guess not.  This is just what we are as a society.  It's fucking sad.

Meh, It depends.  Do you still have that crazy uncle spouting shit about a stolen election or are you in unmoderated groups because that will generate the stuff you are talking about.  Best thing is to unfriend or mute that old hunting buddy that throws out misdirected anger or quit that unmoderated group that goes off topic on masks, vaccines, or gas prices.

My main reason for it is to check the schedule of car shows in one main group I'm in.  I check it about once a week.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Meta's latest AI chatbot has mixed feelings about CEO Mark Zuckerberg: "It is funny that he has all this money and still wears the same clothes!"

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/news/metas-latest-ai-chatbot-has-mixed-feelings-about-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-it-is-funny-that-he-has-all-this-money-and-still-wears-the-same-clothes/articleshow/93380653.cms

Link to chatbot in the article.  Like most of these bots, I got bored with it pretty quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m part of several area groups and each of them has seen admin turnover with several saying it’s simply too much work. Constant battle with either people trying to join so they can run scams/advertise or existing members refusing to abide by the “no politics” and “no trolling” rules.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, Blotto said:

Its happening. I'm becoming an old. Is everyone living it up in one of these meta universes and nobody told me? 

Maybe you are just new to the internet. This behavior has been going on forever.

I remember reading about a gang rape that took place in an MOO/MUD game my freshman year in college. At one point these games were perceived as so addictive that there was talk of banning them from campus.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/07/25/before-roblox-an-online-rape-when-cyberspace-was-new/

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Will I be alerted if my data was illegally shared? That $2-3 coming my way wont completely heal me, but at least now I can start planning that Fiji vacation to begin the process. And equally encouraging is that there can be no doubt that Meta has learned their lesson.  What a victory for us all.

• Rage+1 2