austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That guy has resurrected his career more times than Marion Barry.

What's the news on Jeff Ward?  I know Covid-19 and all, but I used to see him around town quite a bit, but nothing in the last few years.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's the news on Jeff Ward?  I know Covid-19 and all, but I used to see him around town quite a bit, but nothing in the last few years.  

Isn't Ward still doing his show online?

Dale came out and posted on his social media that he was fired this morning. It's well past time. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Word on the street is Dale Dudley got fired after his first show back from vacation this morning. Bringing Matt Bearden back to work with Bob. 

why even bring him back from vacation? that's some bush league bullshit. if you knew he was gone prior to christmas, get rid of him then.

dale had his issues, but the ownership of that station group is fucking stupid. firing jeff ward. getting rid of coyote, which was a breath of weird afternoon fresh air and firing abby rosenquist. moving matt to some weird show with cj morgan. now firing dale. 

i feel like this is 1300 the zone all over again. welcome to irrelevance, i guess. well done sinclair, you fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

https://jeffwardshow.com/

you can listen to it here. 

though he has like 3 sponsors, so i'm not sure how long it can keep on. two of his sponsors are the same guy. atx hot sauce and supreme lending are the same dude.

I gave it a few listens at first and couldn't get into it.  And I was an avid listening of his 590 show.  Was just curious if he's still in my neck of the woods in Austin.  I used to see him all the time IRL but haven't in ~3 years or so.  He could be doing that show from anywhere I guess during pandemic.

Also, his light bulb logo looks like a right hand jerking off a cock 'n balls.  

Just now, Homercles said:

What the hell happened to Dale this time?  Dude can become a grumpy asshat who treats the show as his therapy and irrelevant whining…but D+B has been a staple for decades of morning radio here.  

well, his wife cheated on him (apparently) and he went suicidal. was committed. came back, was overmedicated on prescription meds, matt left the show. i dunno, the whole thing is a clusterfuck. 

local content is the only way terrestrial radio lives. that company that bought all those stations doesn't seem to understand that. let's hear some more led zeppelin, as though i can't hear that on spotify or pandora. 

i dunno. whatever. i had issues with dale and his ego or whatever, but he was our radio host. he was our ego. same with ward. in one year, you just jettisoned the top two radio personalities in the area. and you had a good thing going with bearden and rosenquist, and you just fucked all that up too. 

oh good, more scorpions. more dio. i'm out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

why even bring him back from vacation? that's some bush league bullshit. if you knew he was gone prior to christmas, get rid of him then.

Maybe trying to avoid a holiday murder/suicide. The guy has been off the deep end this year. They should have just called him on Sunday night and said to not bother coming in ever again. 

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Maybe trying to avoid a holiday murder/suicide. The guy has been off the deep end this year. They should have just called him on Sunday night and said to not bother coming in ever again. 

maybe, i guess.

i've turned into a podcast guy. i'm obviously not the audience that klbj is going for. i don't know the demographic targeting that they are doing, but it's clearly not me. 

i really liked matt bearden's coyote show. i liked him on the dudley and bob show. 

now?

i dunno. as much baggage as dudley had, he was a force of nature, a real person, with real problems that he talked about, not some bobby bones or ryan seacrest pretend act. you can hate on him all you want, but he was at least honest. 

same with ward. sinclair seems to dislike honesty, i guess. so i'm back to straight podcasts, and maybe the horn. it's a shame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem with Dale is his act had really worn thin. He just repeated the same shit over and over about his life.

Matt will be back in the mornings with Bob. We'll see how that show works. I actually enjoyed the days Dale was off. Everyone else could talk.

I mainly listen to podcasts, as well, but my drive in the morning is less than 15 minutes. I prefer long-form podcasts, so that doesn't really work. I'm not a music person that early in the morning, so I flip back and forth between who is less annoying for that short stretch on that particular day...Dale or Bucky Godbolt.

well, his wife cheated on him (apparently)

Back when I was listening to them regularly (~10 years ago), seemed like he was always talking about how he wanted to watch her get banged by another dude, so you’d think he’d be into the whole cuck thing.

7 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I have a hard time listening to Kevin and Scipios podcast 

Same here, and I love Scipio’s prose.  On the podcast he’s way too energized and he and Kevin just ping pong nostalgic 80’s and 90’s references back and forth. 

It reminds me of when my high school buddies get back together and they spend the evening wallowing in remembrance of the good old days-no thanks.  

Frankly I felt that way listening to Dale the last few years, too.  20 years ago he at least would pimp local music a good bit and all the touring comics liked him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

The Horn desperately needs a shakeup too. Chad and Trey are still unlistenable for me and I can only handle short doses of Rod and Kevin.

I actually like Chad and Trey better than Rod and KD at this point. I get that Babers is an All-American Longhorn and so a lot of folks here are going to be soft on him but he's just objectively bad on the radio for a multitude of reasons. Namely that he thinks he's smarter and more insightful than he actually is and talks twice as much as he needs to. BK was the only thing holding the station together. 

Regardless - the whole lineup sucks. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I actually like Chad and Trey better than Rod and KD at this point. I get that Babers is an All-American Longhorn and so a lot of folks here are going to be soft on him but he's just objectively bad on the radio for a multitude of reasons. Namely that he thinks he's smarter and more insightful than he actually is and talks twice as much as he needs to. BK was the only thing holding the station together. 

Regardless - the whole lineup sucks. 

BK moving to Houston radio was a big loss for the Horn. 

Dale was an institution, but I found him really difficult to listen to over the past few years.  He always had a habit of beating a dead horse or whining, but it became unbearable.  Days without him were a breath of fresh air.

He always liked to say he didn't care if he got fired and would act like he may not sign a new contract.  Maybe it's best that decision was made for him.

I do worry about his mental health.  The show was a form of therapy for him.  Taking that away cold turkey can't be good.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

I actually like Chad and Trey better than Rod and KD at this point.

I agree with this.

Chad is okay.  He's got a good on-air voice, and given the current talent level base, he's one of the better ones in the lineup in my opinion.  And I don't know what he's like off the air, but for an aggy, he's pretty unaggy on the air.

I don't know if it's his voice inflection or general personality, but Trey just seems too damn whiny most of the time. 

@Nightfly is right about the loss of BK.  He wasn't the most intelligence sports-wise of the bunch, but he was pretty damn funny.

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

Dale was an institution, but I found him really difficult to listen to over the past few years.  He always had a habit of beating a dead horse or whining, but it became unbearable.  Days without him were a breath of fresh air.

He always liked to say he didn't care if he got fired and would act like he may not sign a new contract.  Maybe it's best that decision was made for him.

I do worry about his mental health.  The show was a form of therapy for him.  Taking that away cold turkey can't be good.

Ok, I've never listened to this show other than catching about 20 seconds of it before moving on to the next station. Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to be really sad about him leaving. Every time I heard it, it came across as obnoxious morning shock-jock stuff. Am I getting people mixed up? I'm just surprised that people here and on Reddit seemed to like it. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, I've never listened to this show other than catching about 20 seconds of it before moving on to the next station. Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to be really sad about him leaving. Every time I heard it, it came across as obnoxious morning shock-jock stuff. Am I getting people mixed up? I'm just surprised that people here and on Reddit seemed to like it. 

Dale hasn't been a shock jock-type in ages. The show became listening to him talk about how miserable he is quite some time ago. He just talked over Bob, Matt, and everyone else in the room. Deep down, Bob is probably relieved he gets to spend what time he has left being heard.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dunn is bad. More than anything, going to extraordinary efforts to (try and) be overly cool and punctuating every 5th or 6th word with "bro".

Agreed. He was tolerable when he was with Chad but when they put him with Rod and BK, he seems to have regressed big-time and just comes across as a creepy old dude at this point.

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Dale hasn't been a shock jock-type in ages. The show became listening to him talk about how miserable he is quite some time ago. He just talked over Bob, Matt, and everyone else in the room. Deep down, Bob is probably relieved he gets to spend what time he has left being heard.

i dunno. maybe it's because i'm a forty-something, but there was something about this show that i really liked. it was an adult show for adults who have lived lives which grew up as dale grew up. seeing dale go is a piece of austin going away. i really leaned into it as covid kept on going. we need local content more than ever. but sinclair doesn't believe in that. i've already said it, and he had issues, but shit, this dude was my alarm clock for years in the early 00s. 

thing is, everything fell apart in september when he was committed. just a shame, i reckon. 

it is always interesting when radio management just doesn't fucking get it. that's what happened to 1300 the zone. just don't understand what makes people listen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I used to enjoy it, but Dale really became a beating. Sorry, it is what it is. He was single-handedly driving away audience and co-workers. 

I love listening to everyone bemoan the loss of Dale. They are the same people who bitch when some long-established restaurant closes, but they stopped eating there years ago because the memories were better than the current product.

Dale drove off what little audience hadn’t moved on already from radio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

but shit, this dude was my alarm clock for years in the early 00s. 

"Live, local, direct, coming to you free of charge from..."

At one point he was a master story teller.  I used to think he made stuff up because it seemed unreal that any one person could have so much random shit happen to them.  But then I realized his stories weren't THAT crazy...he was just really good and telling them and pulling out the humor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Babers has gotten much better at his craft and is always prepared.

Agree that Babers is more of a professional who does his homework, rather than just rely on his former-athlete persona, which is what I think he did in his early years. I actually think he might do well paired with Chad.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:24 PM, Lobo said:

I gave it a few listens at first and couldn't get into it.  And I was an avid listening of his 590 show.  Was just curious if he's still in my neck of the woods in Austin.  I used to see him all the time IRL but haven't in ~3 years or so.  He could be doing that show from anywhere I guess during pandemic.

Also, his light bulb logo looks like a right hand jerking off a cock 'n balls.  

Pretty sure he still lives in West Austin (Westlake neighborhood). He has young kids (second wife) and I think that keeps him busy. I have seen him a couple times over the last year in Westlake eateries. 

I remember when Clark Ryan left KLBJ and Dale Dudley to basically start KGSR in like 90 or 91, I think. At the time it was a fairly shocking move and I had listened to them on KLBJ almost every day for a few years until that happened. Never really listened since and was surprised to see Dale was still on the air here. Hope he gets better. 

so it'll be matt bearden and bob and chuy and bedo starting from monday.

not the best look for matt, even though i reckon it wasn't his intention to drive dale out of the business. but the management definitely set him up to be the hitman. now he's going to be the standard bearer for the new show, most likely. hopefully, it's good. dale was running out of gas, i think, but it sure seems to me that matt set up the bomb.

No blame on Matt. Dale melted down this Fall and snapped on Matt for him trying to take it off air, instead of having Dale make an ass of himself on over the radio and bring the whole show down. 

It was obvious they were keeping Matt around by giving him his afternoon show and then moving him over to 101X. The writing was on the wall. 

I know from someone close to the situation that Bob is relieved. Dale had become a cancer.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:21 PM, GTX Horn said:

Agreed. He was tolerable when he was with Chad but when they put him with Rod and BK, he seems to have regressed big-time and just comes across as a creepy old dude at this point.

Dunn used to be really good. He had a show with Applewhite on, I think, AM 1300 that was the best sports radio ever in Austin. Now he just talks constantly about how he isn't a prisoner of the moment. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, Deej said:

No blame on Matt. Dale melted down this Fall and snapped on Matt for him trying to take it off air, instead of having Dale make an ass of himself on over the radio and bring the whole show down. 

It was obvious they were keeping Matt around by giving him his afternoon show and then moving him over to 101X. The writing was on the wall. 

I know from someone close to the situation that Bob is relieved. Dale had become a cancer.

i dunno. they moved matt to 101x with cj to keep him on ice. matt knew then that dale was done, and that's why he was ducking him. who knows who else knew? my point about matt was that he knew. and that's fine. he's got a family to take care of, just like the rest of us, and none of us want to submarine our jobs.

it's no skin off my back. dale had become a bit too raw, and he clearly butted heads with ownership, both over content and politically, which has something to do with content, in the end.

but i liked coyote, and i hate that they 86ed that show. i listened daily. it was something cool and different, though i got tired of the music being played. i have no idea why, in this day and age of streaming music, the local station with local hosts feels the need to play fucking music during the local content. we aren't tuning in for the fucking classic rock, my dudes.

i listened briefly this morning. they must not be doing podcasts yet, or maybe it's just not up yet, but what i heard was alright. felt like a crowded room after it was just bob and chuy with a volunteer intern. 

it's just a bit of an end of an era. dale was a pain in the ass, but he was our pain in the ass. his advocacy for mental health will be missed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was his time.  The Horn needs some fresh blood bad.  Craig Way is an icon.  Rod Babers is ok.  E Hogan is ok but Bucky is in decline and needs to be minimized.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Rod take Buckys place in the morning (with Bucky maybe part time if he’ll accept that), teaming up with Erin.  Then leave Craig where he’s at and bring in a whole new afternoon crew.  Someone who is actually funny and someone who actually knows sports.  KD at this point was neither.