austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

The high point of Austin sport's radio was 10+ years ago on Fridays when Jeff Ward would have his (then) MIL, Phyllis, on to make her NFL picks. She sounded lit half the time (I think the bit was even sponsored by Twin Liquors) and it was just a rich, drunk lady who knew nothing about football making her selections while her son-in-law egged her on. I think waste of oxygen Ed Clements even added to it a bit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The high point of Austin sport's radio was 10+ years ago on Fridays when Jeff Ward would have his (then) MIL, Phyllis, on to make her NFL picks. She sounded lit half the time (I think the bit was even sponsored by Twin Liquors) and it was just a rich, drunk lady who knew nothing about football making her selections while her son-in-law egged her on. I think waste of oxygen Ed Clements even added to it a bit.

That bit was definitely sponsored by Twin Liquors -- and it was fabulous radio!

7 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Yea...I just haven't tried it yet.  I'm scared it won't be the same.

Isn't he doing a show with 3 other guys? Anyone tuned in..good?

It's a good show. He's with 2 other co-hosts and a producer, and they seem like they've been together for a lot longer than what they have. Only downside is they have to talk about the Texans a lot when it comes to NFL, but they do a really good job.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

He's an incredible PBP with no glaring weaknesses in any sport he covers. That's impressive as fuck.

However, on Light the Tower he'd rather tell you how to drive from Austin to Ames by only taking backroads and Farm-to-Markets whose numbers when added up are divisible by 3. Yes, he's Rain Man when it comes to high school football and is a human GPS, but nobody cares about which Dairy Queen you ate at in Stephenville.

Just wanted to chime in that I've heard Craig Way go station break to station break discussing the various permutations Texas men's basketball could be seeded in the tournament and manage to detail probably 150 different scenarios in what is undoubtedly a demonstration of a genius level command of choices that only a super computer could possibly equal.  And it made for quite possibly the worst radio I've ever personally experienced. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Just wanted to chime in that I've heard Craig Way go station break to station break discussing the various permutations Texas men's basketball could be seeded in the tournament and manage to detail probably 150 different scenarios in what is undoubtedly a demonstration of a genius level command of choices that only a super computer could possibly equal.  And it made for quite possibly the worst radio I've ever personally experienced. 

You obviously haven't listened to much Dave South radio.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Just announced that Mike Hardge is the new co-host of the afternoon show on the Horn with Babers.

LMAO.  Somebody called into B&E the other day asking if the new afternoon cohost would be black, and those guys hemmed and hawed in the most transparent way.

They built up the announcement for 505pm all day.  Then when I listened it just sounded like Rod talking to a regular buddy on the phone.  He didn’t deliver the announcement with a lot of flair like I expected I guess.  

I dunno Mike so not sure if he will be a long term fit. But they did shoot the shit awhile and talk about favorite fried chicken.  Lol

The listeners have a week to provide names for the new show. 

When Harge first replaced Sean Adams, he sounded completely disinterested, like radio was a short-term gig.

FCB and him together we're unlistenable.  Part of that may have been because I liked Sean Adams a lot, and Harge wasn't close.

I gave them another shot several months later and he seemed more engaged and had more interesting things to say.  I hope he has continued to improve, because I like Rod Babers, and this pairing has potential. Of course, this assumes they aren't just shooting the shit for 3 hours.

54 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

When Harge first replaced Sean Adams, he sounded completely disinterested, like radio was a short-term gig.

FCB and him together we're unlistenable.  Part of that may have been because I liked Sean Adams a lot, and Harge wasn't close.

I was sad at his way-too-early passing, but I never cared for Sean on the radio. He wasn’t particularly insightful when it came to sports talk, and his general platitudes on being a parent and raising your kids were pretty boorish. Pair that with Chip, and you have one of the worst local radio spots in the last decade or so.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've gotten to where I only listen to B and E in the mornings. And really I don't know how much longer Bucky is going to do this. He's had some health issues and sounds pretty uninterested a lot of the time. 

Bucky has indeed sounded tired over the last year or so. I thought he should’ve retired before then, and now he seems like he’s just going through the motions most of the time and isn’t even offering much by way of comic relief like he used to.

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I was sad at his way-too-early passing, but I never cared for Sean on the radio. He wasn’t particularly insightful when it came to sports talk, and his general platitudes on being a parent and raising your kids were pretty boorish. Pair that with Chip, and you have one of the worst local radio spots in the last decade or so.

Bucky has indeed sounded tired over the last year or so. I thought he should’ve retired before then, and now he seems like he’s just going through the motions most of the time and isn’t even offering much by way of comic relief like he used to.

Trey is drifting into a similar territory where he’s going through the motions and doesn’t seem to really enjoy the sports aspect as much. Their producer for that show seems to do a lot of the heavy lifting now on the sports talk side of things. They never should’ve split up Trey and BK in the first place IMO.

You have to think E Hogan is thinking about who his next partner is. He's too loyal to push Bucky out but has to know the end isn't THAT far away. 

I think E and Rod B would make a good team, but that's because they are the most prepared at the station.  They really have to separate those 2 so they can be the anchor in their respective shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

My stream of consciousness $0.02...

Ward was one of the top hosts for some time, then he grew stale.  It seemed like he got lazy and each show focused on a single news story or headline.  I guess that works for a 3 hour show where drive time was 15-30 minutes per listener.  His MIL picking football games was good radio.

I am not sure how Ed Clements is still on the radio.  Seems underprepared and is mailing it in - and has been this way for a decade.  That said, he was a decent foil for Ward when they worked together.

Babers has dramatically improved over the years.  He does his homework.  However, he throws out tons of stats and data to catalyze conversation.  However, data != information.  I'm exaggerating, but he'll pull out some stat like "Last year, Texas was 6-7 on third downs following an opponents time out in the third quarter when down by a touchdown and preceding a Ford commercial."  Uh, OK.

I've always enjoyed Bucky on the radio.  And, for the most part, he has ALWAYS been unprepared (or at least underprepared).  For some reason, it did not bother me.  He had enough personality - and Erin was always prepared - that it did not matter.

Dudley and Bob was pretty decent radio in the early 90s.  I think Dudley took a major turn for the worse when Howard Stern's syndicated show was added to the Austin market.  Dudley lacked Stern's wit and his interviewing capabilities.  He tried to match/beat Stern and it made his show uninteresting.  From that point, the show stagnated.

Going even further back, there was Dave Jarrott on K98 and KEY103.  He brought fake commercials and parody bits to the market in the 80s.  Recall the "Hiney Winery" in Pflugerville?  And the wine-colored velvet-covered couch...

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

The Babers/Hardge show is growing on me. It's taken awhile. Still too heavy on the Rod monologues. 

Agreed on growing on me.  Mike needs to clean up his intro for Rod lol.  It's cheesy, choppy, and doesn't flow right.  Rod is a hard one to pair up with because he is pretty damn good imo.

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

The Babers/Hardge show is growing on me. It's taken awhile. Still too heavy on the Rod monologues. 

Does it not bother you that Hardge seems to be a complete moron who remembers literally everything incorrectly?  Seems like if it isn't printed out in front of him, he fucks up the details of any historical topic brought up on the show.  Wrong person involved, wrong winner/loser, etc.  I can't even recall what it was earlier this week, but even Rod seemed to realize how off Hardge was and tried to get them to the break immediately.

• Haha 1

Wouldn’t surprise me…his wife, or eventual ex wife I dunno, has long been onboard that all-consuming in-your-face style of agency.  

Edit:  Yeah his FB page is that way too with a long, rambling (shocker) video about it along with a teaser to maybe be on tv?

Edited by Homercles

15 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

My stream of consciousness $0.02...

Ward was one of the top hosts for some time, then he grew stale.  It seemed like he got lazy and each show focused on a single news story or headline.  I guess that works for a 3 hour show where drive time was 15-30 minutes per listener.  His MIL picking football games was good radio.

I am not sure how Ed Clements is still on the radio.  Seems underprepared and is mailing it in - and has been this way for a decade.  That said, he was a decent foil for Ward when they worked together.

Babers has dramatically improved over the years.  He does his homework.  However, he throws out tons of stats and data to catalyze conversation.  However, data != information.  I'm exaggerating, but he'll pull out some stat like "Last year, Texas was 6-7 on third downs following an opponents time out in the third quarter when down by a touchdown and preceding a Ford commercial."  Uh, OK.

I've always enjoyed Bucky on the radio.  And, for the most part, he has ALWAYS been unprepared (or at least underprepared).  For some reason, it did not bother me.  He had enough personality - and Erin was always prepared - that it did not matter.

Dudley and Bob was pretty decent radio in the early 90s.  I think Dudley took a major turn for the worse when Howard Stern's syndicated show was added to the Austin market.  Dudley lacked Stern's wit and his interviewing capabilities.  He tried to match/beat Stern and it made his show uninteresting.  From that point, the show stagnated.

Going even further back, there was Dave Jarrott on K98 and KEY103.  He brought fake commercials and parody bits to the market in the 80s.  Recall the "Hiney Winery" in Pflugerville?  And the wine-colored velvet-covered couch...

Dale Dudley took a turn for the worse after Stern failed in the Austin market. He became insufferable after thinking it was somehow Dale Dudley who was solely responsible for Stern failing here. 

16 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Bucky seems to have been mailing it in for a few years. He’s not even that funny anymore and sounds so much less enthused to be on the air these days. And he has an annoying habit of constantly interrupting Erin in the middle of an interesting point of conversation with a tangent that has the insight of a 12-year-old.

Dale Dudley took a turn for the worse after Stern failed in the Austin market. He became insufferable after thinking it was somehow Dale Dudley who was solely responsible for Stern failing here. 

On 98.9 KJFK? I listened to the shit out of that as a high school kid and went to see private parts at midnight on a Thursday at the arbor and me and my buddies and this one stripper looking lady were the only ones there but we were too chicken to talk to her. I regret that.