austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

• 2 weeks later...

I always forget what time Rod Baber's show starts and my level of irritation when I get in the car hoping it's gonna be his show and instead hearing those two dickheads that are on before him is something I should mention in the Trivial Things That Make You Surly thread.  If Trey is gone it's a good start but both of them are unlistenable.  

And one of them is an Aggie.  And not some Aggie that is here to talk Aggie sports for the sake of their kind here in town.  No, he talks Longhorn football as if he's a fan of it.  Who thought that would be a good idea? 

tldr: Dude who still listens to radio shakes fist at clouds.

Edited by Your Mom

23 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I always forget what time Rod Baber's show starts and my level of irritation when I get in the car hoping it's gonna be his show and instead hearing those two dickheads that are on before him is something I should mention in the Trivial Things That Make You Surly thread.  If Trey is gone it's a good start but both of them are unlistenable.  

And one of them is an Aggie.  And not some Aggie that is here to talk Aggie sports for the sake of their kind here in town.  No, he talks Longhorn football as if he's a fan of it.  Who thought that would be a good idea? 

Rod's show isn't particularly listenable, either, although they have their moments. Rod takes up way too much airtime - which is sort of a catch 22 because while it isn't great radio structure Hardge is kind of a dumbass, so... 

They've been working Zay Collier into the mix. Wonder if he picks up Trey's spot. 

However it went down, it as time to shake up show during the 12-3 window.  Trey seemed like a good guy. He was a little to judgmental for my taste. Chad is OK, but I can only take so much "crap bag", uniform color discussion and wrestling.  For a so called "music snob", he didn't know shit about shit unless it was Pantera.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rod's show isn't particularly listenable, either, although they have their moments. Rod takes up way too much airtime - which is sort of a catch 22 because while it isn't great radio structure Hardge is kind of a dumbass, so... 

They've been working Zay Collier into the mix. Wonder if he picks up Trey's spot. 

Yeah I hear ya.  Rod doesn't bother me at all but I can see why not everybody likes him.  I like his stories.  Random locker room stories from his time here and in the league make for much better radio than just another talking head talking about the same stories the last show talked about.  I'm also the rare guy that enjoys hearing Bucky in the mornings for the same reason.  He's not the sharpest tool in the box and he gets details wrong al the time, but he's the old dude with stories that the others guys just don't have.  Those two aren't the best at discussing current news and conducting interviews but they bring stories that a pure polished and educated radio guy doesn't have.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Chad basically said yesterday was his last day on the air there.  I think Chad mentioned he (Chad) was surprised at Trey being gone... that was about it.

I only heard the first 30 mins or so. I wouldn't say Chad was surprised.  I thought he said something like "if you listen to the show, you know" but I might of misheard that.  I was thinking either something went down during yesterday's show to get fired or he quit without giving notice.

Way back when (one of the times) 1300 blew up, I think Trey went ripped everyone on air before quitting. Guess that didn't happen this time.

Came here also to see what's up. Horn listener for years. 

Caught part of Chad talking about it few mins ago.  He was doing his bit about how he makes things die or end if you are around him. Maybe that's what he meant by if you listen to the show then you know.  

Hopefully traded Mike and Trey for BK back. Throw in Snoop also. 

6 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Came here also to see what's up. Horn listener for years. 

Caught part of Chad talking about it few mins ago.  He was doing his bit about how he makes things die or end if you are around him. Maybe that's what he meant by if you listen to the show then you know.  

Hopefully traded Mike and Trey for BK back. Throw in Snoop also. 

BK isn't coming back. 

It's funny reading how many folks can't stand most of the guys on HornFm.  Just hope they don't let FCB back on local radio.

BK was definitely a loss, but Trey leaving is a good thing.  Hopefully they'll upgrade.  Would be great for them to diversify by adding a female sports person.  

Edited by LTtxfan

However it went down, it as time to shake up show during the 12-3 window.  Trey seemed like a good guy. He was a little to judgmental for my taste. Chad is OK, but I can only take so much "crap bag", uniform color discussion and wrestling.  For a so called "music snob", he didn't know shit about shit unless it was Pantera.
That whole "music snob" moniker grinds my gears. He just went to Motley Crew /Def Leppard. Maybe he likes music, fine, say "music aficionado". Snob implies you like obscure shit at a minimum.

Trey barely watches sports and doesn't add much there, and when he got into other topics it was a string of shit takes from a contrarian that was less informed than he realized.
  • Rage+1 1

It's funny reading how many folks can't stand most of the guys on HornFm.  Just hope they don't let FCB back on local radio.
BK was definitely a loss, but Trey leaving is a good thing.  Hopefully they'll upgrade.  Would be great for them to diversify by adding a female sports person.  
Now you've cursed us. FCB is guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Now you've cursed us. FCB is guaranteed.

That.....ah.....would be.....ah.....not........good!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

So I never have to hear about "Books on Pod" ever again?

happy julia louis dreyfus GIF by HULU

For real. Nothing made me switch channels quicker than that segment. Generally speaking Trey seemed out of his element talking sports and frankly I had to quit listening because he’d gotten intolerable.

20 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

For real. Nothing made me switch channels quicker than that segment. Generally speaking Trey seemed out of his element talking sports and frankly I had to quit listening because he’d gotten intolerable.

It didn't help that he was a terrible interviewer.  Absolutely no give and take with who he was interviewing.  He'd just read his question, the counterparty would answer, and Trey would read the next question.  At least Chad, dork that he is, has a personality.

Speaking of Hardge, that guy adds zero value.  If he's not wrong about some important detail, he's "mmm hmmm"-ing some fact that Rod points out.  He mostly just tags along.  Utterly worthless.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

The problem is that it’s a shit job so it only attracts shit applicants.

or early- mid 20s folks that have raw talent, usually bad timing, and then they hone the talent for 1-3 years, and then move onto much larger cities if they have decent chops-  BK being the most obvious example of the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Hardge just claimed he could run a sub 5.0s 40.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Hardge is awful. He has awful takes and constantly sidetracks Rod right when he’s on a roll. I’ve given up on listening past Craig’s show because of how hard Trey and Hardge are (or were in Trey’s case) to listen to on their respective shows.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, Nope said:

Trey Elling (104.9 The Horn) to Sark: I think this marks the first time that two Armenians have ever graced our airwaves. I’ll spare you the Armenian genocide joke…”

Yes, that really happened 

I remember seeing this in the football board last month. Probably didn’t cause his departure since it was too long ago now but that kind of lack of awareness was typical of the guy.

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Let it all out, baby!

Clueless Hardage, more clueless (and senile) Bucky, Aggie Chad, can't-understand-without-subtitles Babers, Elling with the personality of a fence post.

I like Hogan. But he's in charge and the people working at the Horna are just a terrible assembly of talent. Makes you wish for Sean, RIP.

No, they're not that bad. Still, just a mess of a station. 

23 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

I remember seeing this in the football board last month. Probably didn’t cause his departure since it was too long ago now but that kind of lack of awareness was typical of the guy.

Damn, I had honestly forgotten about that but at the time I definitely thought his days were numbered 

Just now, Deej said:

Rod Babers' neighbor: "I hate to bring this up, but can you talk to your wife about the high-pitched, nonsensical screaming?"

Rod Babers: "That's me."

I think Rod is a good dude but he acts like he got more than cup of coffee in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It didn't help that he was a terrible interviewer.  Absolutely no give and take with who he was interviewing.  He'd just read his question, the counterparty would answer, and Trey would read the next question.  At least Chad, dork that he is, has a personality.

Speaking of Hardge, that guy adds zero value.  If he's not wrong about some important detail, he's "mmm hmmm"-ing some fact that Rod points out.  He mostly just tags along.  Utterly worthless.

Lol seriously I thought it was just me. Ask. Answer. Ask. Answer. If he tried to causally mix in a joke it never landed right and sounded robotish. I never understood why he would pound his chest for his interviewing skills. 

I wana like Mike bc his baseball background. But I can't. He just seems like Rod's older uncle that he lets hang out on the set. 

But I love Rod. Dude puts in his work. Has good analogies, some funny and some serious. Even his jokes about day to day life shit cracks me up. Relatable. 

Edited by utxmike05