austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

44 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I disagree, he's humble and well prepared. Incredibly prepared, he will go on and on to let you know!

I can only listen to Rod in small doses -- his show is usually such a beating!!

He needs a better partner on the radio to offset all of the damn data he uses.  He thinks all the data helps, but it just shows his insecurities of trying to prove he's right to the listeners.

It's a shame Rod can't team up with Craig Way for at least an hour a day.   Rod needs to spend more time alongside experienced professional radio folks.  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looks like nobody has the inside info on Trey. As far as Rod I don't love his constant barrage of convoluted stats but respect his prep and knowledge. Good dude though. Talked to him after a broadcast at the Erwin Center last year and he gave my nephew his cell number when he said he wanted to get into sport media one day.   

Rod Babers does a really good job. They need to find him an actual good partner and it would be great radio.

I used to think Trey had a lot of potential but i guess he hit a ceiling. Anytime i'd catch their show during mid day it was not good. Lots of smarmy opinions from that guy and just too much rambling about non-sports. It's a sports station dude, we don't care about the history of Austin Comedy Club.

Still ocasionally listen to the show BK is on in Houston, i like those guys, good chemistry.

Edited by Pam Cummings

33 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I used to think Trey had a lot of potential but i guess he hit a ceiling. Anytime i'd catch their show during mid day it was not good. Lots of smarmy opinions from that guy and just too much rambling about non-sports. It's a sports station dude, we don't care about the history of Austin Comedy Club.

Trey has a pretty bad radio voice. He always sounds uninterested and irritable and doesn’t have a lot of range beyond that. And maybe that’s not his personality, but he can’t help it, kinda like resting bitchface. Not a great pairing with Chad, who I’ve always liked, especially when he was with Kevin Dunn many years ago.

And speaking of pairing Rod with someone better, I think Chad would be a pretty good fit.

Take if this what you will, but I had a visit with a former morning show host the other day (not Dale Dudley) and it sounds like the pay for all of these roles has just atrophied terribly from the 90’s-back then a Dudley or Bobby Bones type might make $300k-$500k, now they make $65k.  

Since sports has such a niche audience (plus we’re Austin with no pro teams, fuck off soccer) I suspect it’s even worse for them:  Hard to upgrade over Babers or Aggie Chad if they can get paid more as a teacher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I don’t really know the difference between Chad and Trey.  They both sounded the same to me and I am equally annoyed by both of them. At no time during the show could I tell you which one is which.  

lol.  For years I couldn't tell the difference between Chad and Kevin Dunn.  Trey has the douchey whiny tone....so I eventually could zero in on his voice quick.

Still no update on what happened?

On 8/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, LCHorn said:

Take if this what you will, but I had a visit with a former morning show host the other day (not Dale Dudley) and it sounds like the pay for all of these roles has just atrophied terribly from the 90’s-back then a Dudley or Bobby Bones type might make $300k-$500k, now they make $65k.  

Since sports has such a niche audience (plus we’re Austin with no pro teams, fuck off soccer) I suspect it’s even worse for them:  Hard to upgrade over Babers or Aggie Chad if they can get paid more as a teacher. 

yeah, it's not a huge surprise as podcasts and such have risen so spectacularly. 

it is a weird thing, though. I prefer local voices to national ones most times. i really enjoyed jeff ward with ed clements for instance. great local voices sometimes just talking local nostalgia is good local content, imo. or local stories, or how national stories affect local stuff.

i really enjoy the new morning show with matt and bob on 93.7. it's a bit formulaic at times, but i listen regularly on the podcast. chuy is the hidden assassin on that show. dude is sneak attack funny, but you gotta be ready for it or you'll miss it.

but these guys make shit, and i think it's because radio hasn't figured out how to exist in the modern world. to be fair, the fcc has really shit the bed here with a bunch of arcane and old-fashioned rules about airwaves that mix things up unnecessarily, but i see no reason why two local sports channels cannot exist in this market is obscene. austin is nearly top ten in terms of population nationwide! there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

but the ad and ratings models are both massively fucked from my outsider perspective. i don't know how much a typical prime drive time 30 second ad runs, but i'm guessing it's not enough to sustain long-term quality content. we have so many fucking local businesses, it's mind boggling to me that they will put billboards on bowie baseball fields but not buy a radio spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just sitting in my car on my lunch break kind of half-listening. Chad is riding solo and has been basically monologuing for about 20 minutes on some stupid run-of-the-mill hazing incident and getting all worked up about it. 

Is anyone producing this? The NFL is making final cuts today - college football kicks off for week 1 in two days - MLB is nearing the playoffs... and he just chewed up almost a half hour talking about kids at Alamo Heights making kids put cookies in their ass and run around and then eat it. 

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Zay actually has some talent. They need to get him on ASAP to maybe save this dumpster fire afternoon slot. They can't leave Chad to his own devices. It's embarrassing. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

Apparently Austin Radio Network wants to expand its coverage of local high school sports, so Trey was fired because he had no interest in covering high school sports.

And now he gets to cover no sports…assuming he is not getting bombarded with job offers (lol)

High school sports is also something I give no fucks about.  Was out today in the car from 11am till almost noon, and Craig, Jeff, and Snupe spent almost the whole time discussing high school football.  Even six-man.  Barf.  (Yes, I did channel surf, but every time I would get back to the Horn, they were still going).

9 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

High school sports is also something I give no fucks about.  Was out today in the car from 11am till almost noon, and Craig, Jeff, and Snupe spent almost the whole time discussing high school football.  Even six-man.  Barf.  (Yes, I did channel surf, but every time I would get back to the Horn, they were still going).

That's what that show is about though. 

20 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i really enjoy the new morning show with matt and bob on 93.7. it's a bit formulaic at times, but i listen regularly on the podcast. chuy is the hidden assassin on that show. dude is sneak attack funny, but you gotta be ready for it or you'll miss it.

I wish they'd drop the music from their format. I'd listen more, but it's about a 70% chance it's a commercial or music on when I flip over to them. 

22 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Apparently Austin Radio Network wants to expand its coverage of local high school sports, so Trey was fired because he had no interest in covering high school sports.

Great career choice by him.  That'll show 'em.  With that million dollar voice, I'm sure the offers will come rolling in.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

What's really prime radio is when Jeff talks about baseball cards.

• Haha 2

As much as I love the Horn over the years….it’s gone downhill since BK left.  Then Kevin Dunn left who was a big sports stats guy.  Trey/Chad gave nothing to sports…maybe 20%.  I do like their non-sports conversations now and then, because I don’t want to listen to nonstop sports…it’s good to mix in personal life or pop culture stuff imo.  But it’s gotten to be too much.

Also put me in the camp of dgaf high school sports.  Snupe has his flex show.  Zay is cool and has an after hours show sometimes also.  Talent is drying up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That's what that show is about though. 

I will give you that they do a lot of high school stuff, but "Light the Tower" is definitely more than just high school sports.  At least until Westlake and Lake Travis build their own tower.  I think that they just choose the 11:00 hour on Tuesday to focus on HS rather than the Horns or other sports.  

7 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Yeah, if they wanted him to work Friday nights, I can see him bailing.

So regarding ARN wanting to expand high school that's been pretty obvious all summer with constant pushing FLX-ATX.  Did they always own this site/"brand" or did they acquire it recently and hence the shift towards always mentioning it?  Before it was just one off-hour show I think.

This increase in high school football coverage across the board in the afternoon and evening shows is a beatdown.  If that remains constant as we get into the thick of college and NFL football (and then basketball), I'm out and will look for national shows when I'm in my car and want to listen to sports radio.

• Hook 'Em 1

Surprised the Trey blog was only a few minutes.  I was expecting him to go like 20mins. He kept it short and didn't elaborate much.  Which tells me it probably didn't go well....he doesn't seem like a guy who would leave quietly.  If you don't get a farewell episode or week long tribute....then it went down ugly lol.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:22 PM, Deej said:

I wish they'd drop the music from their format. I'd listen more, but it's about a 70% chance it's a commercial or music on when I flip over to them. 

This is me.  Combine it with their catalog, by definition mostly stale, and there’s only so many times I can tune in to hear them on break playing AC/DC. 

Given my schedule I catch Bob’s rock and roll news feature often.  It’s interesting content but he puts on this faux enthusiastic rock jock persona voice that rings hollow and grates on me.  He’s nowhere near Dale levels but I prefer him representing the over 40 listeners with the occasional grumpiness or “can’t figure this shit out” old man takes.  

That being said I could listen to Matt and Chuy talk on just about any subject.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think they're better off expanding HS coverage than they are expanding national gambling pundit coverage, but maybe that's just me.

I agree. They have to keep it local or just go national with cowherd etc.

I’m not into high school stuff but I can see how they could hopefully make it work with longhorn, high school etc

Nobody locally wants to hear Lebron or Aaron rodgers shit constantly. I’d rather mix in some high school stuff over that.

I agree. They have to keep it local or just go national with cowherd etc.

I’m not into high school stuff but I can see how they could hopefully make it work with longhorn, high school etc

Nobody locally wants to hear Lebron or Aaron rodgers shit constantly. I’d rather mix in some high school stuff over that.
Agreed, HS is fine if its in small doses.

Hi ARN!
  • Like 1

There’s not enough local content to fill one three-hour show every day much less four shows totaling 12 hours year round. There is one local sports team most everyone in Austin gives a shit about - Longhorn football. They talk a little Longhorn basketball and baseball mid-season, but not enough to fill 12 hours of content on a daily basis. They cover the cowboys, spurs and astros some, and to a lesser extent the mavs, rockets, rangers and Texans. But it’s just filler to cater to a fractured audience of Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio transplants.

I understand we are a top -10 market. But we don’t have the content to fill one sports radio station much less two.

The thing they banked on was listener rotation.  For instance, when I was going into the office 5 days a week, I'd catch them for 20 minutes twice a day.  It didn't really matter that they talked about the same shit multiple other times, I mostly got new discussions.  If they were repetitive, B&E voiced things a little differently than Chad & Trey or Rod & whoever.

At this point, I think their talent is drying up.  Erin & Craig & Rod are legit, but they all need partners, and the guys they're paired with right now all range from "eh" to suck.  Home-growing producers like Zay might work, but it won't work every time.  Bucky is too long in the tooth, and best case, he's a sidekick, just like Chad and Jeff Howe (and I'm being generous with Jeff).

They should absolutely try to pull Jeff Ward into the fold, but I don't know if the money works.

• Like 1

The thing they banked on was listener rotation.  For instance, when I was going into the office 5 days a week, I'd catch them for 20 minutes twice a day.  It didn't really matter that they talked about the same shit multiple other times, I mostly got new discussions.  If they were repetitive, B&E voiced things a little differently than Chad & Trey or Rod & whoever.
At this point, I think their talent is drying up.  Erin & Craig & Rod are legit, but they all need partners, and the guys they're paired with right now all range from "eh" to suck.  Home-growing producers like Zay might work, but it won't work every time.  Bucky is too long in the tooth, and best case, he's a sidekick, just like Chad and Jeff Howe (and I'm being generous with Jeff).
They should absolutely try to pull Jeff Ward into the fold, but I don't know if the money works.

I’ve wondered if they got got Jeff if in the evening drive. But who knows what he does

Rod Babers by himself was better than when he has been paired with someone like Hardge or Kevin Dunn. I still think they had it perfectly balanced before they shuffled the lineup right before Covid, but it’s definitely been all downhill since BK left. They could move Zay to cohost with Chad and it would actually be an improvement from Trey but they’re definitely gonna lose a lot of listeners if they focus more on high school sports. I wonder if part of the logic is that they think they may have an easier time getting sponsors if they focus more on high school sports, but I clearly don’t know much about that side of radio.