austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

On 8/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, Born to Run said:

I disagree, he's humble and well prepared. Incredibly prepared, he will go on and on to let you know!

He has gotten better but he does act like he had 8 cups of coffee before grabbing the mic.

I like Rod. He knows first hand how hard you have to work and what it takes to compete when others around you are more talented.  He has a passion for life and Texas football and thats good enough for me.

His takes on Quinn winning the locker room on day 1 were very insightful.

It is radio. 3 hours to fill on days when not a lot of sports news is news worthy. Not all of his data and analytics hit the mark, but he offers insight and perspective that is grounded with factual information. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

In his early days at KLBJ, Ward was really good. He ultimately became a bit too enamored with himself and became borderline unlistenable. But generally a very good interviewer. 

Never listened to him on KLBJ, but when he's appeared on 104.9, this isn't an unfair description.  He can be funny, much moreso than Trey ever could (low bar, I know), but he does seem to think he's a bigger deal than he really is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:42 AM, Updawg said:

Cell phones and satellite. I used to be a regular listener to all above. But now I go into work maybe once a week and I’ll try to listen to b&e at that time. But I never listen to local anymore. It’s sad but I’ve moved on.

Exact same. I may hear an hour of B&E per week and that is all. Podcasts and music.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy fuck kill it with fire. 

Also - Chad is beyond a fucking beating running his solo show. Not only is he a dumbass he's started being super whiney and condescending about Texas football. I feel like he sees the writing on the wall and is afraid that we're about to start punishing motherfuckers on the regular right before we jump into the SEC. 

He thought No Doubt was fucking Brittney Spears the other day. 

• Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - Chad is beyond a fucking beating running his solo show. Not only is he a dumbass he's started being super whiney and condescending about Texas football. I feel like he sees the writing on the wall and is afraid that we're about to start punishing motherfuckers on the regular right before we jump into the SEC. 

I’m just trying to figure out who’s actually asking him to roll the tired Scottish guy bit back out every week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fuck Chad and the "he's a good aggy" bullshit. No such thing. "Good aggy" is just code for "he'll keep that shit tamped down until he can't help himself."

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

"he'll keep that shit tamped down until he can't help himself."

The "can't help himself" shit is starting to leak. You could tell he thought we had zero chance against Bama last week. He did this long bit about "Do y'all on the text line really think that your team is in the same spot that atm was in last year against Bama? I mean you REALLY think you're as good on both lines and as prepared?" and I'm like - yeah, fuckstick - why not? You clowns sucked last season outside of that game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hardge is such a beating.
I actually find myself switching over to Ed and Bido on my drive home. That's fucked up.

That show is fucking awful. Ed clements knows nothing about everything and anything. When he is on with those other two idiots (mark and Melissa?) he makes that show go from negative 50 to negative 500. Whatever that means - it just means it sucks.

Bido-or however you spell his name- needs to get a job with ups or fedex.

Bob cole should move to a ranch outside of Bangs and do a podcast on texas high school sports and that’s it. UT should dump him asap.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Bido-or however you spell his name- needs to get a job with ups or fedex.

It's B-DOE - which, I know, is gay as fuck - but he's an anchor DJ for 93.7 and from what I can tell, doesn't suck at that job. 

Agree he's terrible for sports radio. Then again, Chad Hastings has his own show right now on the dedicated local sports station. 

3 hours ago, Nope said:

I’m just trying to figure out who’s actually asking him to roll the tired Scottish guy bit back out every week

LULZ. Its been pre-covid since i listened to austin sports radio, but goddamn it never occurred to me that Chad could still be torturing the listening audience with that shit-ass bit. Actually uncomfortable to listen to.  

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Hardge is such a beating.

I actually find myself switching over to Ed and Bido on my drive home. That's fucked up.

I wana love the guy but he can't speak smoothly...just doesn't flow right. And when he is next to Rod it's just magnifies it even more bc Rod is smooth. 

Hardge also stutters through some of his live commercials also...he was killing me when Rod was on vacation. 

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

I wana love the guy but he can't speak smoothly...just doesn't flow right. And when he is next to Rod it's just magnifies it even more bc Rod is smooth. 

Hardge also stutters through some of his live commercials also...he was killing me when Rod was on vacation. 

He's trying too fucking hard. Just relax and roll with it.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rod Babers being a smooth radio personality is about as funny as anything anyone has said on this thread. 

Sorry, radio personality expert.  He speaks clearly, confidently, and doesn't get tongue tied = smooth when compared to Hardge. Quit acting like some radio elitist. It's fukin radio lol. 

@Deej And yea agreed Hardge does seem to try too hard and he wants to be better.  Teamed w/Rod might help him.  Gotta start somewhere. (Don't tell the elitist in this thread)

3 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Sorry, radio personality expert.  He speaks clearly, confidently, and doesn't get tongue tied = smooth when compared to Hardge. Quit acting like some radio elitist. It's fukin radio lol. 

@Deej And yea agreed Hardge does seem to try too hard and he wants to be better.  Teamed w/Rod might help him.  Gotta start somewhere. (Don't tell the elitist in this thread)

Rod's passable at best. I'm sorry that he was a superstar on campus when some of you were on the 40. That doesn't make him worth a shit when it comes to radio. He's fine. He has nothing interesting to say basically ever. He just recites a bunch of football stats and goes over how different sets interact with each other. 

Sure, but he's a "music snob". He's never heard of the band Phoenix either. It's not like they are obscure.

Just now, Born to Run said:
17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sure, but he's a "music snob". He's never heard of the band Phoenix either. It's not like they are obscure.

That last motley crue show was bitchin, though. 

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

I was as surprised as you are

I've heard/seen a bunch of people call it their favorite movie ever. Rod said that and I basically did the Jags fan.gif. 

And that's not to pick on Rod. I'm kind of treating this thread as "what's the dumbest shit you heard someone on the Horn say this week".

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, Born to Run said:
On 9/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, ztejas said:

This is what really turns me off on that show. I can deal with the "crap bag", the aggyness brimming under the surface of each football take, even the wrestling/UFC he brings up. But I CANNOT deal with his just pitiful knowledge of music when the tries to guess the band or artist the producer plays as the show comes back from commercials. It's just horrible and he should be god damned ashamed.  Then, he doubles down and calls himself a "music" snob.  I just can't handle it and for that reason, I'm out.

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I liked Interstellar but I don't think it would make my top five Christopher Nolan movies list. 

I will say that watching it before and after my daughter was born were two very different experiences.

Got a bit of dust in my eyes at the end.

Edited by Nope

Rod is good all things considered. Guys like Hastings, Hardge, and sometimes Jeff Howe are the ones who make the station unlistenable at times. Rod was much better when he had a solo show and didn’t have someone like Hardge interrupting his flow and adding asinine and ill-informed takes.

• Hook 'Em 1

i would love to make fun of all you for sounding like such incredible tools on this page bitching and moaning about the banalities of local sports radio (which, to be clear, you absolutely sound like) but i would seriously pay money to never have to hear justin wells' dumbass east texas twang spewing endless koolaid flavored cliches about what grown ass men everyone is in practice and on the recruiting trails.