austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

Crosspost... Article on Craig Way

Screenshot_2022-12-14-12-41-23_kindlephoto-10295211.png.d9ee0c68ce889c2fdb787c71a0e2f695.png

Hall of Fame Texas Longhorns play-by-play announcer Craig Way found broadcasting voice early in life, leading to legacies in college, high school sports

Mike Craven     Dec 13th, 2022

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/12/13/-voice-of-texas-football-craig-way-found-his-early-on?ref=article_preview_title

• Hook 'Em 1

The Horn should hire Jason Dick. At least he's entertaining. He could just stick to the sports shit that he knows and talk about that, along with other random music and entertainment bullshit. It's a formula that works for the Ticket.

Yeah but they could just promote another producer for a quarter of the salary or less probably. And he likely doesn’t want to do high school scouting for the flx team.

For fucks sake, is The Horn almost done with this All Flex shit?  30 minutes of reciting names and stats of kids nobody but their parents give a shit about.
It's a beating, they waste so much time talking about how they are going to talk about flex; enough with the shotouts to snoop too. Just direct people to the flex website or horn website if it's your thing.

I'm okay with brief discussions on high school footba, but the flex bullshit has me switching stations.

10 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Is Jeff Ward still on 102.7? Seems like he’s been scrubbed from their website. I don’t live in the Austin area anymore, just curious. Looks like he’s taken the show online….

https://jeffwardshow.com/podcasts/

Mr. Ward does not seem scrubbed to me: https://www.1027espn.com/show/the-jeff-ward-show/

• 1 month later...

Oh, airing the dirty laundry. As a former listener, this is some juicy stuff. Jason and Deb always hinted at behind the scenes stuff but never gave the full story.

As for what Sinclair says, holy shit was Deb late. Like every single day for years. I have no affiliation other than listening and it would annoy me.

Algorithms work, so after reading this thread, the Chronicle story for the lawsuit popped up in my facebook feed, so I had to go see what the masses were saying.  Not surprisingly, Deb had a ton of support.  I am curious what those people would think of her if they were aware of her multiple arrests, and I'd bet anything Sinclair brings those up in court as the reason she had to miss work on several occasions.  

This one hits close to home for me as a cat, because dogs that attack aren't my favorite thing.  But also because I know she had at least one incident w/ Blue mentioned on the air, and it wasn't w/ my friends who had their dog attacked by him that never went public. Can't take FB comment section as fact, but looks like it not only happened more than once, but fairly regularly.

image.png.8335f15852c5e7805360948dd5e92d8d.png

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh, airing the dirty laundry. As a former listener, this is some juicy stuff. Jason and Deb always hinted at behind the scenes stuff but never gave the full story.

As for what Sinclair says, holy shit was Deb late. Like every single day for years. I have no affiliation other than listening and it would annoy me.

over the years, i've listened to 101x, 93.7fm and am. 

i'd love to see a balance sheet for the business. i know terrestrial radio is dead, or at least that's the common misconception, i reckon. the fcc has done radio no favors in a podcast world, but the appetite for quality content is there, and has not at all abated. terrestrial radio suffers from the same issues as broadcast networks. an outdated business model. in both instances, they have run to the bottom of the barrel for local content (i'm pretty sure every local tv news station hires high school students as anchors) and pay them pennies and wonder why people aren't tuning in.

if i want a national show on an austin terrestrial channel, i'd listen to a podcast or a national show in my sirius subscription. i listen to local radio because i like locally based content.

the only show that seems to understand that is mornings with matt and bob and they seem to really be the only local morning show still around. and even so, i can't listen live, so i have to podcast it. evidently that doesn't count for their ratings? that's fucking stupid.

anyways.

tl;dr: the advert model for everything is broken and nobody seems interested in updating a century old business model for reasons.

I think the bigger issue around over the air radio is control. You can't control what shit your radio station plays. But you can from your music apps which are easily integrated and played on your car radio. Add in stupid shit talk from DJs and that's a recipe for people like me to avoid radio like the plague. If I want news, I get up to minute updates from my cell phone. The DJ isn't going to tell me news that I don't already know or soon will know as I fuck around on my phone.

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think the bigger issue around over the air radio is control. You can't control what shit your radio station plays. But you can from your music apps which are easily integrated and played on your car radio. Add in stupid shit talk from DJs and that's a recipe for people like me to avoid radio like the plague. If I want news, I get up to minute updates from my cell phone. The DJ isn't going to tell me news that I don't already know or soon will know as I fuck around on my phone.

exactly.

it's content. people have learned to control their content. why on earth would i tune into 93.7 to listen to 30 year old music? i can listen to 30 year old music on spotify, and i can listen to the 30 year old music i want to listen to, not the 4 millionth play of panama, which admittedly is a badass song, when i want to listen to it.

i' don't have the answers, but i'm convinced everything they are doing is wrong and that they are really trying to make an antiquated business model fit into a modern world. start selling tires and stop shoeing horses. christ.

53 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I dunno, I just know that I liked listening to Jason and Deb. 

This is the answer.  (Not for me, but for whatever demographic they served.)  Jason and Deb were personalities that attracted a certain listenership.  If you buy a radio station and don't understand numbers, then I don't know what to say, because those numbers have to be increasingly harder to come by.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

This is the answer.  (Not for me, but for whatever demographic they served.)  Jason and Deb were personalities that attracted a certain listenership.  If you buy a radio station and don't understand numbers, then I don't know what to say, because those numbers have to be increasingly harder to come by.

it's really bizarre.

i mean, i don't want to go full cloak conspiracy, but this dude seems to be firing people with whom he politically disagrees. 

it's his radio business, so it's his call, but the market is primarily austin, not bastrop or lampasas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve posted this upthread because I’ve done loans for several folks in the radio business over the last 10-15 years and have some insight into wages.  I don’t think the problem is the content model; they know far, far more about their audience than a layman might presume.  It’s just that their audience is approaching social security age (the number quoted to me was that the average listener in Austin for over the air radio is 58), NPR captures something like 80% of the listening audience, and no one really wants to pay for advertising to this demographic group.  

The real question to me is whether there’s a market for an ad supported rival to NPR.  Obviously it’s not drooling slack-jaws like Todd and Don.  

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I dunno, I just know that I liked listening to Jason and Deb. 

I felt like those two balanced each other out well…Jason playing the over-the-top, chauvinistic slob dickhead and Deb portraying the narcissistic main character spoiled brat type.  They’d call each other out and often be somewhat entertaining radio.  Beyond playing Red Hot Chili Peppers every time I tuned in, I stopped listening to 101x when Deb left as Jason solo just isn’t the same.  

I will admit I like the Matt, Chuy and (sorta) Bob thing KLBJ has going in the mornings.  They often cover relatable topics without going into massive whining like Dale would, Bearden has always been introspectively funny, and Chuy embodies a general Texas vibe I enjoy.  The downside is the same collection of classic rock during music breaks and Bob often checks out / the rock news thing is cringey AF.  

Point being it’s a nice change of pace from choosing my own content but they’re making no ad revenue from me as I’m not committed enough to listen for stretches anymore.  

Edited by Homercles

52 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

101X is full on classic rock now. I love Chili Peppers and Nirvana but most of that stuff is 20-30 years old and I’ve heard it enough, yet they keep cramming it onto the airwaves hour after hour.  

Seems like every time I listen it's something called Maneskin? I don't like it.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…I’m one of the NPR listener crowd. For my drive time, I get to listen ti intelligent news takes and, if I time it right on the way home, Marketplace. If I want to listen to music, I use Apple play or whatever it is. Haven’t listened to local music stations for years.

NPR is likely the station I listen to most, but it's not a runaway. Marketplace is awesome. Texas Standard is great. The rest gets a little old to me. 

I like the afternoon guys on 101x. But I barely listen to any local radio anymore. I used to listen to a bunch because I was in the car 6-7 hours a day. 104.9 has gone to complete shit. 

I can appreciate NPR/KUT and agree that quality-wise it's the best offering - but that makes sense as a lot of it is nationally syndicated programs. For me it gets a little... not sure the word for it. I don't think liberal is the right word - granola? San Fransisco-y? Which is fine as I doubt I'm their target demo. My interest tends to wane when they start talking about the lesbian couple's sustainable coffee plantation in El Salvador. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…I’m one of the NPR listener crowd. For my drive time, I get to listen ti intelligent news takes and, if I time it right on the way home, Marketplace. If I want to listen to music, I use Apple play or whatever it is. Haven’t listened to local music stations for years.

I like Marketplace, but I have to flip the channel from 6:30-6:31 because the way he introduces the show is so cheesy.  THIS.........is marketplace.....

Probably belongs in the trivial shit thread.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

101X is full on classic rock now. I love Chili Peppers and Nirvana but most of that stuff is 20-30 years old and I’ve heard it enough, yet they keep cramming it onto the airwaves hour after hour.  

When I was growing up in the 80's the "oldies" station played stuff from the 50's. I thought to myself the other day after they played nirvana and green day that 101x is now an "oldies" station since they mainly play 30 year old stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've actually had the thought that I don't see a distinct difference in decades for the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s.  I mean, there are plenty of new influences, like smart phones, which may be the single most influential invention of the past 70 years, but I'm talking about style, music, etc.

50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were totally distinct.  But the 2000's all just kinda run together IMO.  Maybe because I was finished with college in 2000 and somehow being an "adult" makes me less able to see the differences because I'm less influences by them?  I feel like I could listen to a song or see a photo from 1950 though 1999 and be able to tell you the decade, even if it was new to me.  Absolutely not true from 2000-2023.  I'd say "2000s".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

My interest tends to wane when they start talking about the lesbian couple's sustainable coffee plantation in El Salvador. 

I mean....yeah, there's some of that for sure.  Without going CR, though, I'm actually pretty happy with how most of NPR's news-focused stuff does a pretty good job of distilling relevant facts and getting perspectives from multiple viewpoints on an issue.

But yeah, when they do deep-dive stuff, there's more than a few pieces on said coffee plantation and such.

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

Something I saw along those lines the other day...

Dazed and Confused was released in 1993, set in 1976.  A movie w/ that same gap released today would be set in 2006.

So roughly the last time Texas won a national title in football.