austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

On 5/8/2023 at 12:21 PM, hayden_horn said:

another writers' strike victim.

just kidding, it's probably just another set of victims from the friendly wilco sheriff's department.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So looking into that KVUE article, it looks like Austin Radio Network's Managing Partner Jason Nassour is a former Williamson County Attorney and is being charged with evidence tampering in the death of Javier Ambler in 2019. Some shady shit going on at The Horn HQ...

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-radio-network-shut-down/269-6303f289-7f96-404c-b316-467966ecd882

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/williamson-county/williamson-county-sheriff-robert-chody-jason-nassour-new-charge/269-37322f8d-7819-4cc8-a121-9ae68396adfe

lol i was only half jokoing, but anything that nassour is in has got to be dirtty af right?

• Hook 'Em 2

Say what you will, but I enjoy Ed and Jeff being back together for my afternoon drive home. Their chemistry just works and is good for at least a few stupid chuckles. Beats Babers and Hardge trying too hard. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Deej said:

Say what you will, but I enjoy Ed and Jeff being back together for my afternoon drive home. Their chemistry just works and is good for at least a few stupid chuckles. Beats Babers and Hardge trying too hard. 

Yeah Jeff and Ed have quite a bit of nostalgia for me and I like that.  I really like Babers but Hardge is just so so bad.  He seems like a nice guy but just consistently awful takes.  And listening to him struggle through trying to read ads is brutal.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah Jeff and Ed have quite a bit of nostalgia for me and I like that.  I really like Babers but Hardge is just so so bad.  He seems like a nice guy but just consistently awful takes.  And listening to him struggle through trying to read ads is brutal.  

I like Jeff ward well enough. I think babers is Austin’s best talent and he’ll move on to bigger and better things one day. Hardge seems nice but he rarely says stuff that I fond insightful, but his banter and play off rod is ok. Ed is a spineless tool and I would prefer he and chad be quarantined together if they have to be on air.

Hogan is still easily the best talent. 

Rod just doesn't have as much experience. He doesn't know how to let a broadcast breathe and frequently gets too into the weeds going in depth with certain stuff. I think he'd be better suited for a podcast rather than the grab bag bullshittery that you need on local drive time radio.

Edited by ztejas

On 5/19/2023 at 11:57 AM, ztejas said:

Hogan is still easily the best talent. 

Rod just doesn't have as much experience. He doesn't know how to let a broadcast breathe and frequently gets too into the weeds going in depth with certain stuff. I think he'd be better suited for a podcast rather than the grab bag bullshittery that you need on local drive time radio.

104.9 is listenable to me every morning and then about half the time in the late afternoons.  Hogan and Rod would be the best match up and I hope he takes over in the mornings when Bucky retires.  Harge is bad but not nearly as bad as Chad and Zay.  Hearing them play promos with Zay blubbering about sexually explicit things makes me want to jump out of my car on Mopac.  Just stop dude, there’s a time and place for racy jokes, but sports talk isn't it  and you’re not funny enough to pull it off anyway. And then Chad tries to make himself sound like some music guy waxing on about the shittiest music ever.  They are terrible.  Haven’t heard Jeff in years but I always thought his whole schtick is to take one side of the story and fucking run with it when there is a completely logical other side that he just ignores as it’s presented to him over and over again and steamrolls on even after someone proves him to be misinformed.  

There.  My semi annual radio bitchfest is done.  

On 5/29/2023 at 7:41 AM, demos said:

Whatever fill in show the Horn is broadcasting this morning is talking about betting on mens and womens tennis.

What kind of degenerate is betting on tennis?

Probably the same kind that listens to syndicated fill-in sports radio on a holiday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably the same kind that listens to syndicated fill-in sports radio on a holiday. 

Probably, but still, tennis?

My car radio is always set to 104.9. Sometimes I get in and am accosted by Chad and Zay, so I guess I’m just lucky it wasn’t them filling in.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They were talking about best athletes to never win a championship this morning and the 3rd wheel on B&E (their producer I guess) said "Ken Griffey never won a championship with the Mariners?". Erin goes "uhh no the Mariners have never won".

Then seconds later he goes "Clyde Drexler never won with the Trailblazers?"

Like holy fuck dude you're on sports radio. You sound like someone's wife. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

They were talking about best athletes to never win a championship this morning and the 3rd wheel on B&E (their producer I guess) said "Ken Griffey never won a championship with the Mariners?". Erin goes "uhh no the Mariners have never won".

Then seconds later he goes "Clyde Drexler never won with the Trailblazers?"

Like holy fuck dude you're on sports radio. You sound like someone's wife. 

To be fair, their producer was probably 2-3 years old when Vince won the national championship.

49 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

To be fair, their producer was probably 2-3 years old when Vince won the national championship.

I mean they weren't exactly talking about Cap Anson and George Mikan. 

I'd expect anyone piping in to a fairly big local show to have basic knowledge of, say, the last 40 years of the big 3 sports leagues, college football and college basketball. 

Then again this is the station that has Chad and Zay on the air 20 hours a week. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then again this is the station that has Chad and Zay on the air 20 hours a week. 

The dead air during those days they were locked out for not paying rent probably drew higher ratings than Chad and Zay. 

• 1 month later...

So is the ESPN station going to scoop up someone like Erin Hogan?  The guy's been a fixture in Austin sports radio for a couple decades and seems like he's one of the few folks at 104.9 who could find a landing spot in Austin.  Others might have to re-locate or start selling insurance. 

i just don't understand the radio business, i guess. maybe it's the cost of living and rent for studio space has gone through the roof, and from what i understand, they were using some prime real estate. 

but there has got to be a way to balance the books on a sports content terrestrial radio show in austin fucking texas, even if the general consensus is that the medium is supposedly dying. dying like newspapers, in the race to the bottom and the inability to figure out a revenue model not based in the 18th century, it's always the content. you make good content and people will consume it. find a way to make terrestrial radio work without 20 minutes of commercials an hour. that's 1/3 of your listener's time, when there are podcasts and spotify out there.

fuck's sake, get it together, radio. shorter breaks, charge more for ads, fuck i dunno. think differently. oh, and pay talent, stop paying admin. but that's everywhere.

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So is the ESPN station going to scoop up someone like Erin Hogan?  The guy's been a fixture in Austin sports radio for a couple decades and seems like he's one of the few folks at 104.9 who could find a landing spot in Austin.  Others might have to re-locate or start selling insurance. 

Poor Rod Babers. He's gonna miss all that Hot Cat Tequila money.