austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

17 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I've actually had the thought that I don't see a distinct difference in decades for the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s.  I mean, there are plenty of new influences, like smart phones, which may be the single most influential invention of the past 70 years, but I'm talking about style, music, etc.

50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were totally distinct.  But the 2000's all just kinda run together IMO.  Maybe because I was finished with college in 2000 and somehow being an "adult" makes me less able to see the differences because I'm less influences by them?  I feel like I could listen to a song or see a photo from 1950 though 1999 and be able to tell you the decade, even if it was new to me.  Absolutely not true from 2000-2023.  I'd say "2000s".

Was just thinking about this yesterday.  Has there been a new musical genre since Grunge?  Doesn’t seem like there’s been a new type of music since the 90s, when prior to that there were new genres at least every 5-10 years.  There seemed to be a rush of what I would call “Xanax rock” a few years ago, but I never actually heard a term for it, and it didn’t seem popular enough to be generation-defining.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I've actually had the thought that I don't see a distinct difference in decades for the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s.  I mean, there are plenty of new influences, like smart phones, which may be the single most influential invention of the past 70 years, but I'm talking about style, music, etc.

50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were totally distinct.  But the 2000's all just kinda run together IMO.  Maybe because I was finished with college in 2000 and somehow being an "adult" makes me less able to see the differences because I'm less influences by them?  I feel like I could listen to a song or see a photo from 1950 though 1999 and be able to tell you the decade, even if it was new to me.  Absolutely not true from 2000-2023.  I'd say "2000s".

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Completely agree.  From cars, to movies, to music, I feel like every decade in the 20th century had a distinct feel to it.  I don't feel the same about the 2+ decades of this century.  

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Completely agree.  From cars, to movies, to music, I feel like every decade in the 20th century had a distinct feel to it.  I don't feel the same about the 2+ decades of this century.  

it's because you're getting old.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:20 PM, hayden_horn said:

it's really bizarre.

i mean, i don't want to go full cloak conspiracy, but this dude seems to be firing people with whom he politically disagrees. 

it's his radio business, so it's his call, but the market is primarily austin, not bastrop or lampasas.

Yep, but it is shitty way to run your business. 
Know your clientele.

8 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

My rejoinder would be maybe we're defining decades in an old way.

One of the things I'd suggest strongly is that social media has seemed vastly different from one decade to the next. That's not really a genre that existed in the 20th century. We had Telnet/Usenet in the 70s and 80s, and the beginning of the world wide web in the 90s, but to me MySpace is the first one that defined a generation, and that didn't launch until 2003. 

Video games and video game systems have a different feel. There is a definite distinction between video games made in each decade. 

But yeah, I certainly don't see the differences in various pop culture touchstones in ways that seemed highly distinct in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s. 

• 2 weeks later...

No new radio news, and maybe some of you olds knew this, but it was new info to me that KLBJ was integral to the popularity of Roxanne.  Pretty cool!

Should have it queued up to the start of the Roxanne bit and the  WLBJ  KLBJ part is at 4:30.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:42 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Has there been a new musical genre since Grunge?

When it comes to rock, no, not really, but plenty of EDM and hip-hop stuff has pushed the envelope. Dubstep, for example. The r&b/pop/hip-hop crossover stuff that became the dominant pop music in the late 00s - Paper Trail, 808s and Heartbreak, Drake's first 2 albums. Playboi Carti is probably the best recent example of someone giving us music that doesn't have any historical parallels - I think his first album was around 2016.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

No new radio news, and maybe some of you olds knew this, but it was new info to me that KLBJ was integral to the popularity of Roxanne.  Pretty cool!

Should have it queued up to the start of the Roxanne bit and the  WLBJ  KLBJ part is at 4:30.

Interesting, thanks for posting. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Dale Dudley is now in the podcast game. He posts them on YouTube, if you're so inclined. His second podcast had Art Acevedo as his guest. I can't think of two worse people to listen to for an hour. I'm guessing this won't last long. 

Lowell was busy.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Dale Dudley is now in the podcast game. He posts them on YouTube, if you're so inclined. His second podcast had Art Acevedo as his guest. I can't think of two worse people to listen to for an hour. I'm guessing this won't last long. 

i accidentally happened on the first episode, where he kind of explains himself sort of about what happened near the end of his time at klbj. sadly, it wasn't too introspective, and he's got a lot of mental health work to do, but hopefully he eases into it and gets comfortable. always felt he had so much more to offer if he could just get out of his own way. starting off with fucking art acevedo as a guest is not the best way to win over a common man fan though, i will tell you that much. it's good to have friends in high places (ask jeff ward) but i think dale's impression of that relationship is extremely naive. but whatever, ain't my business.

jeff ward hasn't changed too terribly much and i think that's a good thing? i haven't decided, because i can only really catch podcasts these days, and his is weird and janky and edited all strange.

26 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i accidentally happened on the first episode, where he kind of explains himself sort of about what happened near the end of his time at klbj. sadly, it wasn't too introspective, and he's got a lot of mental health work to do, but hopefully he eases into it and gets comfortable. always felt he had so much more to offer if he could just get out of his own way. starting off with fucking art acevedo as a guest is not the best way to win over a common man fan though, i will tell you that much. it's good to have friends in high places (ask jeff ward) but i think dale's impression of that relationship is extremely naive. but whatever, ain't my business.

jeff ward hasn't changed too terribly much and i think that's a good thing? i haven't decided, because i can only really catch podcasts these days, and his is weird and janky and edited all strange.

Hah, I forgot about Ward getting popped on West 6th. I think he stayed out of the cage, completely, with Art's help. 

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Hah, I forgot about Ward getting popped on West 6th. I think he stayed out of the cage, completely, with Art's help. 

it underlined what a racket the west 6th dui money pit is. 

but it also highlighted that the common man never gets a fair shake. ward was on the radio the next day and charges were dropped by drive time. most of the rest of us are fired as we show up at work the next day straight from downtown.

please note i do not fault him for using any connections he could to get out from under the state's ridiculous dui revenue machine.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Sun Radio for me, followed by KUTX and a random check of KLBJ (which is playing AC/DC more often than not, so I immediately bail, not that I don't like AC/DC but I've heard them enough).

KUTX is really good. Lots of good programming. They also have stuff that used to be on KUT like blue mondays and twine time.

So still licking Art’s taint?
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:42 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Was just thinking about this yesterday.  Has there been a new musical genre since Grunge?  Doesn’t seem like there’s been a new type of music since the 90s, when prior to that there were new genres at least every 5-10 years.  

I'm not sure I agree.  Grunge begat some fairly horrible rock/rap hybrids, and that all gave way to the folk-pop revival (Mumford, Decemberists, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Father John Misty come to mind).  Only now is the stink of that precious, pretentious crap fading.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like dale. I really do and I wish him the best. I don’t think his year off has completely cleared the slate on his mental health but he sounds better than he did before. He’s still using too much pills or smoke when on air though because he’s been scatterbrained as fuck these two episodes. It really seems like Mike McCray (sp?) could contribute a little more too. I’m not saying he needs to do his impersonations, which btw, are amazing. But he doesn’t really add much so far.

Both dale and bob have mentioned roxanne/klbj before but only in passing.

Road trip the past two days listening to horn app and holy fucking shit Chad and his sidekick are bad. Jesus. I want to like rods side kick but he’s fucking horrible too. So so bad. I do think rods very good but that other dude can barely fucking talk and his takes are just objectively wrong.

3 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

I do think rods very good but that other dude can barely fucking talk and his takes are just objectively wrong.

057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, Mittens said:

Does it not bother you that Hardge seems to be a complete moron who remembers literally everything incorrectly?  Seems like if it isn't printed out in front of him, he fucks up the details of any historical topic brought up on the show.  Wrong person involved, wrong winner/loser, etc.  I can't even recall what it was earlier this week, but even Rod seemed to realize how off Hardge was and tried to get them to the break immediately.

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

Road trip the past two days listening to horn app and holy fucking shit Chad and his sidekick are bad. Jesus. I want to like rods side kick but he’s fucking horrible too. So so bad. I do think rods very good but that other dude can barely fucking talk and his takes are just objectively wrong.

Yeah Chad and Zay make Chad and Trey look like Russillo and SVP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes I think rod knows how bad Hardball is and it’s awkward for him bc they’re friends and he’s a nice guy. I do like the third guy on their show.

Chads occasionally tolerable in very small doses when he’s talking sports (as opposed to today when him and zay went through that top 20 hip hop artist list TWICE and then a third time when that mouthbreather that does the show with way called in) but listening to a whole show is torture. He absolutely loses his shit after every single break when he tries to guess the tune. It’s exhausting.

11 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Yes I think rod knows how bad Hardball is and it’s awkward for him bc they’re friends and he’s a nice guy. I do like the third guy on their show.

Chads occasionally tolerable in very small doses when he’s talking sports (as opposed to today when him and zay went through that top 20 hip hop artist list TWICE and then a third time when that mouthbreather that does the show with way called in) but listening to a whole show is torture. He absolutely loses his shit after every single break when he tries to guess the tune. It’s exhausting.

I swear one time I tuned in, it was a Monday or Tuesday in October so no lack of sports. Then Chad going into a commercial break goes “and when we get back, my top 10 favorite Metallica songs!!!” In October. Not July. 

On 2/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I agree.  Grunge begat some fairly horrible rock/rap hybrids, and that all gave way to the folk-pop revival (Mumford, Decemberists, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Father John Misty come to mind).  Only now is the stink of that precious, pretentious crap fading.

All of this.  

If I hear Skinny Love again I’m gonna stab a motherfucker.  

That two year period where every fucking song had Hey or Hey Ho in it: Of Monsters and Men, Lumineers, etc

And different genre but DJ Mustard with his chorus of dudes shouting ‘hey hey hey’ in every song he produced…well I hope they butt raped him to retirement. 

I will say that Iron and Wine at ACL that one year was an epic experience half drunk and stoned, the performance was very different live…dark and trippy, reminded me of STS9 almost

Edited by Homercles

20 minutes ago, Homercles said:

That two year period where every fucking song had Hey or Hey Ho in it: Of Monsters and Men, Lumineers, etc

Yeah, that was a remarkably cringe-inducing trend.  I mean, it was bad the first time I heard it (OM&M).  And then it was everywhere.  I had visions of ill-groomed, smelly patchouli fests in perfectly decent studios with the engineer about to slit his wrists recording the 9th "hey ho" overdub of the week, for a few years on end.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

I just cannot stand Hastings. I listen to Light the Tower mostly. But what happened to Snupe Daniel? They are heavy into local HS sports now and the whole Flex ATX. I thought that was snupe’s thing?

Been wondering about Snupe also, he was a train wreck but I kinda liked him

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I didn't listen much to the mid-day show on The Horn, but Snupe was always mildly entertaining when I did, though he sounded like he was a bit of a train wreck.

I'm a Snupe fan. 

But... c'mon dude. You're on TV. Lose the beanie and throw on a blazer or something.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:09 PM, Dilligas said:

Been wondering about Snupe also, he was a train wreck but I kinda liked him

I love Snupe Daniel. his post game call after the Chance Mock game against Tech was one of the greatest things I ever heard on Austin radio. They come out of commercial break and Snupe is shouting into the mic "TO THE WINDOWWWWWWWWW, TO THE WALL!!!!!!"

I'm not privy to all the numbers, but I don't understand 101x. I was under the impression that Jason and Deb were pretty popular. Maybe things get worn out and you need something fresh.

Deb is axed... ok. They bring on a young female to replace her. To me she is alright, but certainly not the big personality that Deb is (which admittedly wore on me).

Then Jason's contract isn't renewed. And my understanding is that Nick fills his seat. I love Nick, but switching him for Jason is like going from a major league pitcher to a Single-A pitcher. He's funny as a side guy, but actually carrying a show? Plus the show just seems to now be completely music anyway.

Jason/Deb used to be where the dial went when I was in the car before 10 a.m. Now I'm thinking about re-programming the station altogether. Just seems completely bungled. Why not bring in new talent? Or hell, offer Jason a contract that's lower as there aren't many other radio gigs in Austin. Instead, they've just killed the program in a weird way.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I love Snupe Daniel. his post game call after the Chance Mock game against Tech was one of the greatest things I ever heard on Austin radio. They come out of commercial break and Snupe is shouting into the mic "TO THE WINDOWWWWWWWWW, TO THE WALL!!!!!!"

Jeez he's that old? That was like 20 years ago. 

• Haha 1