Chineez

PRONG HORN

I’m a Hao Q loyalist.  It might be more in the general Asian non-authentic category, though they have a Vietnamese section of the menu. I honestly don’t know how to judge Asian restaurants other than whether I really like the food. And I’ve been eating this family’s food since they were Hao Hao in Dobie during my undergrad days.  We’re regulars and they know what my kids will order, right down to the particular way they want their pho.

• Like 2

Sichuan River and Din Ho are my favorite Chinese spots. Lots of good spicy food at Sichuan River, and good Chinese bbq and seafood at Din Ho. Get a whole smoked duck at Din Ho if you've never had one before. The cumin lamb and mapo tofu at Sichuan River are both really good.  

• Like 1

din ho had a few years (2002 - 2010) where they really let their standards slip.  they were the only game in town so they didn't care.  then first chinese bbq opened in chinatown and they got put on blast, changed owners, and decided to pay attention to quality again.  they're probably the best in town for bbq right now.  first chinese is right behind them.  ho ho's at parmer/35 is pretty good for bbq too but their service can be bad.

wu chow.... completely overpriced and their food just isn't that good.  haven't been to lin's mainly because several friends whom i trust, each have independently said it's also not good for the price.  

there's a place next to asia cafe called fat dragon that has really good xiao long baos.  gotta get there early though otherwise they run out.  chen's noodle house, also in that same strip mall, is super authentic.  and good.  but it has like 6 tables. 

for dim sum we always go to fortune seafood restaurant.  shanghai is not bad but there's more variety at fortune even if it is more expensive.  we've come a long ways from having to go to marco polo on riverside. 

the best kept secret in austin is chef hong's in west campus.  it's northern chinese, run out of a food truck.  their liang pi is the best i've ever had.  they don't speak too much english, but it's enough to order what you want.  

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sun Hing
Egg roll stands (little field fountain)
Magic Wok

Is "Indian bread" Chinese food?  Because I lived on Indian bread from the egg roll stand at 26th and Speedway for at least a couple of years in the early 90s.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, South Austin said:

It's in the same strip center as Sunflower, which is my favorite Vietnamese place. 

Pop around the corner, behind that Target, on Ohlen, and hit Tan My for some legit Vietnamese. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

China Wall in RR

Hao Hao off Wm. Cannon where Church's is located. 

Lady I worked with at AMD, her and her husband owned a place off Riverside, shopping center up behind Church's. 

Suzi's. 

Of course being a fatass, always hit up the buffets off Westgate, Wm. Cannon, 290E and I35N (Old SF Steak House). 

Edited by Underdog

On 12/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, Underdog said:

China Wall in RR

Hao Hao off Wm. Cannon where Church's is located. 

Lady I worked with at AMD, her and her husband owned a place off Riverside, shopping center up behind Church's. 

Suzi's. 

Of course being a fatass, always hit up the buffets off Westgate, Wm. Cannon, 290E and I35N (Old SF Steak House). 

I'm pretty sure Hao Hao has been closed for years.  

On 10/3/2019 at 4:48 AM, South Austin said:

I’m a Hao Q loyalist.  It might be more in the general Asian non-authentic category, though they have a Vietnamese section of the menu. I honestly don’t know how to judge Asian restaurants other than whether I really like the food. And I’ve been eating this family’s food since they were Hao Hao in Dobie during my undergrad days.  We’re regulars and they know what my kids will order, right down to the particular way they want their pho.

That’s because Hong is some sort of menu savant.  You order a dish once, she’ll remember it forever.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, CooterBrown said:

China Family on Airport has quietly become the best Chinese restaurant in town.  Spicy Szechuan food is their focus and it is legit. The Chongqing Spicy Chicken is ridiculous. 

we tried China Family this weekend and with one visit,  it has become my favorite Chinese place in Austin. 

we had the Chongqing chicken, beef in spicy oil, and dry fried green beans.  all of it was crazy good.  looking forward to making my way through the rest of the menu.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, CooterBrown said:

China Family on Airport has quietly become the best Chinese restaurant in town.  Spicy Szechuan food is their focus and it is legit. The Chongqing Spicy Chicken is ridiculous. 

Been twice this month for the Chongqing Chicken and steamed dumplings. It isn't as good as Mala Sichuan in Houston but a hell of a lot closer.

20220220_145138.thumb.jpg.abb085f1b54e791856144a4a016e9226.jpg

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 8:15 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Been twice this month for the Chongqing Chicken and steamed dumplings. It isn't as good as Mala Sichuan in Houston but a hell of a lot closer.

20220220_145138.thumb.jpg.abb085f1b54e791856144a4a016e9226.jpg

I went to this place and had the double cooked pork belly. It was awesome, as were the crab rangoons. Will be back soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2022 at 2:52 PM, zman13 said:

Anyone been to Three Gorges (183 & Ohlen) yet? Heard it's good but haven't been yet.

It's good, though I wouldn't necessarily put it above China Fam, Seven Spice, etc.  Check out Bamboo House as well... just opened.

• Hook 'Em 1

At the Anderson location, you used to be able to get the Chongqing Chicken on the lunch plate special but last time I went a couple of months ago, they had removed it as an option. I guess they were losing money from people like me who'd order the 3 entrée plate and get 3 servings of Chongqing Chicken.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, Blotto said:

Checked out the Bamboo House (Crestview next to Blackstar Coop) today for lunch. The food came out quickly, the portions are generous AF. Everybody gave their food high praise. would recommend

their Peking duck slams and goes hard