Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On the soda front, Maine Root fucking sucks and it pisses me off they’ve taken over every fucking fountain in Austin. Stubborn soda is even worse. Sorry, but the one area where mass produced destroys the boutique labels is soda.

Dr Pepper, Coke, even fucking Pepsi >>>>>>>> Maine Root >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stubborn.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

On the soda front, Maine Root fucking sucks and it pisses me off they’ve taken over every fucking fountain in Austin. Stubborn soda is even worse. Sorry, but the one area where mass produced destroys the boutique labels is soda.

Dr Pepper, Coke, even fucking Pepsi >>>>>>>> Maine Root >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stubborn.

You have clearly never enjoyed one of these.

lemon-sour-2.jpg

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’ve never tried their other offerings, but their root beer is delicious.

25 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Chick-fil-A waffle fries are terrible.  I extol the virtues of the rest of their menu but those fries are trash.

Their fries are better than their bland chicken sandwiches. I enjoy their fries. I also like Wingstop's fries better than their wings.

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Or the Polynesian Sauce, or the Honey Mustard. 

Chick Fil A should be an orgy of sauces. 

18 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah Chick-Fil-A's fries aren't special. but their sauces are. .. those who haven't figured that out still marvel at BK's chicken fries from like 10 years ago. Dum dums. 

Awhellyeah, that honey mustard will will work with any/everything.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Thetexashammer said:

Loved.that.freakin'.movie.

Steve Prefontaine was a badass.

^
Yeah, growing up in Illinois, I didn't like Standard time in Winter, because there are days in late January-mid February with the right cloud cover it was basically dark already at 4:45p.  

And now in Texas, I want Standard time in the Summer because it's annoying as shit putting kids to bed at 8:00p and having the Western sun still blazing into their bedrooms.  

On 3/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, orange dream said:

Chick-fil-A waffle fries are terrible.  I extol the virtues of the rest of their menu but those fries are trash.

Once in a while they are crispy and on point and it's glorious, but generally they are garbage. 

I really don't care for McDonald's fries.  I'll eat them, but fuck, I'd rank them about dead last among fast food fries.

Not a fan of McDonald's breakfast either.  If they had the full menu available all day, I would never order off their breakfast menu ever again.  McDouble's for breakfast, baby.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

16 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Meh. Big mac fries and coke are solid

Used to be. They changed their burger patties not too long ago, maybe a year or so, and they suck now. Wendy's did the same thing several years ago and now they're inedible. McDonald's fries are good when they're done right but I haven't gotten an order that wasn't pale and undercooked in years. 

The Egg McMuffin is still solid. I'll have one of those from time to time. That's about the extent of it. 

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Used to be. They changed their burger patties not too long ago, maybe a year or so, and they suck now. Wendy's did the same thing several years ago and now they're inedible. McDonald's fries are good when they're done right but I haven't gotten an order that wasn't pale and undercooked in years. 

The Egg McMuffin is still solid. I'll have one of those from time to time. That's about the extent of it. 

well, they had to make everything healthier for people who don't eat McDonald's in case they ever might set foot in a store and maybe buy a coffee

Edited by SwanderedTalent

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

well, they had to make everything healthier for people who don't eat McDonald's in case they ever might set foot in a store and maybe buy a coffee

I don't know that it's any healthier. Regardless of how they market the changes, I'm willing to bet it boils down to sacrificing quality in the interest of cutting costs and boosting profits. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Went to Wendy's yesterday for lunch cause I didn't have much time and I can confirm it was horrible. 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
22 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:
Went to Wendy's yesterday for lunch cause I didn't have much time and I can confirm it was horrible. 

Damn whatd you eat? You should tell it to their Twitter team

Just a number 1 with mustard no mayo. Buns were cold as fuck and it was made very shitty. Fries were better than expected though. 

29 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

healthier is a spectrum

if you want to say "we've lowered trans fats" by increasing the amount of Chinese newspaper in your burgers, you've in one specific way made them healthier

I don't recall them advertising the switch as being healthier, just that they were switching to fresh patties instead of frozen like Wendy's did. That doesn't mean healthier.

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I'm assuming it axiomatically

I bet the new way is "greener" too

I'll bet not. I'll bet it's more processed, less food.

If you ever buy another McDonald's burger, try a taste of just the "beef" pattie itself. It's practically flavorless. I noticed that the one Quarter Cheese I ordered after the switch came with more pickles and other condiments than I'd ever received before. I'm pretty sure that was by design to cover up for the flavorless pattie. The only way they could likely say it's greener is if they're using half as much real beef as they used to. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought  I was just imagining things. Had Wendy's this weekend for the first time in a long time. The burger patties tasted much different and pretty fucking disgusting. Also smaller. Wendy's burgers used to be pretty good for fast food. Won't ever be going back there.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I thought  I was just imagining things. Had Wendy's this weekend for the first time in a long time. The burger patties tasted much different and pretty fucking disgusting. Also smaller. Wendy's burgers used to be pretty good for fast food. Won't ever be going back there.

It's definitely not as good as it used to be, and by a long way.  I used to love the Spicy Chk Sandwich meal there.  Nice thick cut of chicken, good spice.  Now the patty is about the size of the old drunk night $.99 Chicken Sandy from Jack in the Box.  

Same with the burgers.  Used to stop and pick up 1 or 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers after softball or for a quick tasty meal.  Getting worse every time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'll bet not. I'll bet it's more processed, less food.

You misunderstand. When I say I am "betting", perhaps it would be more accurate to say I would not be surprised if McDonald's claimed its switch was in some way greener than what it had done in the past. 

Edit-- I guess I have to add, WHETHER IT WAS OR NOT. It would not surprise me if McDonald's made the claim WHETHER IT WAS TRUE OR NOT. BECAUSE THEY'RE A BIG AMERICAN CORPORATION. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
clear as a mirror

and what do you know

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jan/13/sustainable-beef-mcdonalds-meat-environment

In the near future, you might not feel as guilty about ordering a Big Mac. McDonald’s claims that by 2016, some of its iconic burgers – along with other beef products – will be made with “verified sustainable beef”. 

While beef is beloved by Americans – who ate 25bn lbs (11bn kg) in 2013 – it’s also one of the most environmentally damaging food in today’s diet. So the fast-food giant’s move to make beef more palatable for the environmentally conscious should be a welcome move. Except it’s unclear what exactly is so sustainable – or indeed verifiable – about the beef of the future.

The beef industry is only at the beginning of a long journey to figure out how it can green its burgers, but it recently had a breakthrough. In late 2014, the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (GRSB) – a consortium of beef industry stakeholders including retail and processing giants like McDonald’s and Cargill, rancher associations and a handful of environmental nonprofits – published a set of principles and criteria defining sustainable beef production.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It's definitely not as good as it used to be, and by a long way.  I used to love the Spicy Chk Sandwich meal there.  Nice thick cut of chicken, good spice.  Now the patty is about the size of the old drunk night $.99 Chicken Sandy from Jack in the Box.  

Same with the burgers.  Used to stop and pick up 1 or 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers after softball or for a quick tasty meal.  Getting worse every time.  

Exactly. This seems to be par for the course for a lot of fast food places. Changing up the meat and smaller portions. Guessing they are cutting costs and wanting that bigger profit margin.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. This seems to be par for the course for a lot of fast food places. Changing up the meat and smaller portions. Guessing they are cutting costs and wanting that bigger profit margin.

that started-- well, became noticeable-- around the bottoming out of the Great Recession, in my opinion

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Everything at McDonald's sucks ass

Is this even unpopular any more?

McDonald's was fine junk food, once. Before they forgot that they were a junk food establishment and kept trying to sell healthy and experimental things. Back when they used beef tallow to make their fries. Back in the days before sugar tariffs. If you were on a road trip, you knew you could stop by McDonald's and, at the very least, experience a clean restroom, and whatever you ate -- though it wasn't great food by any stretch -- would be good enough, and sometimes you get some cool local flavor (e.g. green chile in the Tucumcari, New Mexico McDonald's), but never so much that it wasn't familiar.

But those days are long gone, and McD's corporate has long since lost the plot. People aren't interested in Special Sandwich Of The Week. They aren't interested in spending the same amount of money on a Quarter Pounder that they could instead spend on a good burger somewhere else. They aren't interested in "Hey we use vegetable stuff on our fries now so that they taste shittier, but Hindus can eat it!" Vegan fries should be an option, not the default! You fucking ruined one of the greatest things about America you fuckers. Change it back, you legalistic corporate pseudo-cosmopolitan shirt hangers! I'd curse your souls if you had any. I'd insult you to your faces if you'd take off your masks, but then I'm not interested in seeing the dull, empty, gray-skinned dullness that lurks behind it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Meh. Big mac fries and coke are solid

1. 1/2 cup mayonnaise.
  2. 2 tablespoons French dressing.
  3. 4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish.
  4. 1 tablespoon finely minced white onion.
  5. 1 teaspoon white vinegar.
  6. 1 teaspoon sugar.
  7. 1/8 teaspoon salt.

Put on a sesame seed bun with an actually good burger, cheese, lettuce, pickles and onions. Buy Coke anywhere. Fuck McDonald's.

• Like 1

all that said you can buy a pair of McDoubles for $3 and that's a pretty decent meal right there all by itself, so mcd's is not wholly lost, but man...
Mcdoubles used to be $1.19.

Now they taste terrible and bland. I can't eat one without at least bacon.

The only decent items are the chicken sandwiches and quarter pounder. Everything else is meh.

3 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Mcdoubles used to be $1.19.

Now they taste terrible and bland. I can't eat one without at least bacon.

The only decent items are the chicken sandwiches and quarter pounder. Everything else is meh.

You can always drench 'em in ketchup.

McD fries are good.  ill scarf em down.

Their filet o fish mac, big mac, and whatever else are objectively bad as a burger.  but theyre just like the JITB tacos... they are a category unto themselves and sometimes you just want a hit of that weirdo bastardized food.  its nasty but i crave it