Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m willing to bet you like several movies that were “made for children”.

I still have The Wizard of Oz on DVD but haven’t watched it in a long while. But that’s a classic.

I loved Raiders as a kid. I saw it in the theater twice. The second time I snuck my Super 8mm camera in to film parts of it. I never owned it on DVD because they only sold it with the sequels in a boxed set and I thought the sequels sucked even when I was young. Then later, when I was older, I saw Raiders again when it was on HBO and it really didn’t hold up. It’s a comic book story and not a particularly good one. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s a movie made for children. 

Raiders is intense. If by "children" you mean teenagers then sure but it isn't a kid's movie at all. People are getting wasted left and right in pretty gruesome ways. I remember watching it recently and thinking "Man Indy sure is blowing a lot of people away for being a history professor".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

All of those things can be beneficial. I’m just saying reading isn’t inherently better than anything else. Especially if you’re reading something stupid.

Well yeah, if by 'reading' you mean National Enquirer or People magazine.  Most people use the term 'reading' to refer to actual books.

I was telling my wife just the other night that I want to start reading real actual books again, but it makes me fall asleep. She responded that if I can read a message board for hours a day then I can read a few pages of a book each night. Fair enough.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

All of those things can be beneficial. I’m just saying reading isn’t inherently better than anything else. Especially if you’re reading something stupid.

So you’re not a reader, huh?

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. 

14 hours ago, Okie State said:

I was telling my wife just the other night that I want to start reading real actual books again, but it makes me fall asleep. She responded that if I can read a message board for hours a day then I can read a few pages of a book each night. Fair enough.

Message boards have tits, honey. 

31 minutes ago, TriStone said:

The Big Lebowski is thoroughly unentertaining, and is easily the worst of the Coen Brothers output.

Certainly the right thread for it, but how committed are you to this take exactly?

Because I’d love to hear you make the case that the Ladykillers is a better movie than the Big Lebowski 

image.thumb.jpeg.32508245a9bd7b4c3889608234f2a5d3.jpeg

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fellside said:

Feta cheese smells (and I can only assume tastes) like cat vomit and all these Texas bbq and Mexican joints putting it on beans and tacos to seem impressive should just stop already.

There’s very few things I can tolerate feta on. Keep it away from BBQ and Mexican 

6 hours ago, TriStone said:

The Big Lebowski is thoroughly unentertaining, and is easily the worst of the Coen Brothers output.

1) The first clause is wrong.  Just wrong. May God have mercy on your soul.

2) The second clause is wrong because as brilliant as the Coen Bros are, they’ve put out some stinkers. I’m looking at you, Llewyn Davis Barton Fink, and A Serious Man. 

Edited by nnm

Feta cheese smells (and I can only assume tastes) like cat vomit and all these Texas bbq and Mexican joints putting it on beans and tacos to seem impressive should just stop already.

Ummmmm…..you sure it’s feta and not queso fresco? Because that would make a lot more sense.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, nnm said:

2) The second clause is wrong because as brilliant as the Coen Bros are, they’ve put out some stinkers. I’m looking at you, Llewyn Davis Barton Fink, and A Serious Man. 

I guess my unpopular opinion is that A Serious Man is their best movie. At least 1B. 

The other two you listed are also probably in the top half of my personal favorite Coens. 

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

Or cotija?

Also an option.  Feta would just be a weird choice for those contexts.  And neither cotija or queso fresco has a particularly strong smell.  Really am curious about the places he's talking about, and what they actually used.

I mean, I love feta cheese too, in the proper context.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Hate said:

I like the Pace medium Picante Sauce.  I have always have a jar on hand.  It is not what I use for every salsa situation, but it is in my rotation. 

I think it does pretty well on breakfast items. For anything else - gtfo.