Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 6/9/2022 at 2:50 PM, UncleSonny said:

Certainly the right thread for it, but how committed are you to this take exactly?

Because I’d love to hear you make the case that the Ladykillers is a better movie than the Big Lebowski 

image.thumb.jpeg.32508245a9bd7b4c3889608234f2a5d3.jpeg

I love the Coen Bros. I think their best work is when they write the story themselves. I couldn’t even make it through Ladykillers.

Raising Arizona was my first and is still my favorite. The first time I saw it was on 7/15/89 in Muncie, IN with my best friend from high school who had it on VHS. We ate magic mushrooms and he threw it on. That intro blew my mind.

I wouldn’t sit down and watch a movie with anyone who doesn’t like Big Lebowski. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

Also an option.  Feta would just be a weird choice for those contexts.  And neither cotija or queso fresco has a particularly strong smell.  Really am curious about the places he's talking about, and what they actually used.

I mean, I love feta cheese too, in the proper context.

Fuzzys for sure uses feta on tacos.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, fellside said:

Feta cheese smells (and I can only assume tastes) like cat vomit and all these Texas bbq and Mexican joints putting it on beans and tacos to seem impressive should just stop already.

Are you confusing feta with cotija or farmer's cheese, because both of the latter are appropriate.

Sounds like your places might have more suburban milf scenery; and I'm not judging you there either.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
On 6/10/2022 at 5:46 PM, Vic Mackey said:
Dad?

Ha, Pace was the only 'salsa' we had in our house growing up. Maybe that's all they sold in Oklahoma in the 80's? I just always remember it wasn't good.

Same here. It's all we had and really all I knew. Until I got older and discovered real salsa and hot sauce. 

• Like 1

Same here. It's all we had and really all I knew. Until I got older and discovered real salsa and hot sauce. 

We would have fresh pico from time to time (dad made it), but we didn’t often have a cooked salsa. But when I was in high school, I discovered the Old El Paso brand - was pretty chunky, nice bite. I would eat a whole jar with half a bag of chips as a snack, every day if I could. Loved that shit. Haven’t eaten it since, don’t know if they even still make it the same way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think it does pretty well on breakfast items. For anything else - gtfo. 

My wife eats Pace so we always have a jar in the fridge. The only thing I use it for is making Spanish rice. For the rice, replace half the cooking liquid with Pace. The flavor profile works perfectly for that. I’ve tried using good salsas for it and none have worked well.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We would have fresh pico from time to time (dad made it), but we didn’t often have a cooked salsa. But when I was in high school, I discovered the Old El Paso brand - was pretty chunky, nice bite. I would eat a whole jar with half a bag of chips as a snack, every day if I could. Loved that shit. Haven’t eaten it since, don’t know if they even still make it the same way.

People cook salsa? I’ve never heard of that before. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean.....you don't think that Pace is just raw diced vegetables, do you?  Lots of salsas are cooked, then cooled.

The onions and peppers in Pace are too crunchy to be cooked. Maybe the tomato sauce base is cooked. I have no idea. But it is marketed as Picante Sauce, not salsa. Cooking it would fit with it being called a sauce.

But I was thinking homemade. When I make salsa I just use a can of whole peeled tomatoes, blend them til smooth, add diced onions and peppers, cilantro, and salt, and that’s it. It keeps for a long time thanks to the acid from the tomatoes. I can’t imagine that cooking would add anything other than turning it into a sauce.

I mean, I know that when canning whole peeled tomatoes they use a hot water or steam bath in the peeling process. And I’ve seen salsas made with roasted tomatoes. But other than the tomatoes themselves, is there a reason to apply heat to any other part of a salsa?

The onions and peppers in Pace are too crunchy to be cooked. Maybe the tomato sauce base is cooked. I have no idea. But it is marketed as Picante Sauce, not salsa. Cooking it would fit with it being called a sauce.
But I was thinking homemade. When I make salsa I just use a can of whole peeled tomatoes, blend them til smooth, add diced onions and peppers, cilantro, and salt, and that’s it. It keeps for a long time thanks to the acid from the tomatoes. I can’t imagine that cooking would add anything other than turning it into a sauce.
I mean, I know that when canning whole peeled tomatoes they use a hot water or steam bath in the peeling process. And I’ve seen salsas made with roasted tomatoes. But other than the tomatoes themselves, is there a reason to apply heat to any other part of a salsa?
41e126e2b544789b6d1d2f161fa85dc3.gif
  • Haha 3

Make my own salsa, not cooked (adding half a jar of Trappys jalapeños (it’s the vinegar) helps that) keeps for a while, along with the natural acidity of the other vegetables. But it never stay around more than a few days anyway here.

General direction;
Large can of whole peeled tomatoes, drain and blend with a fresh whole batch of cilantro, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic. Then add 2 1/2 to 3 diced onions, half the juice from a jar of pickled jalapeños, and all the jalapeños. While blending just a little bit more, several pinches of salt. Experiment with more or less onions, garlic and cilantro to find what you and your family like.

For more heat, add your favorite fresh diced pepper/jalapeños. Warning, salsa will get hotter the second day. Experimenting will be needed on how many to add.

• Hook 'Em 1

I believe all canned homemade salsa is cooked.  I've never done it any other way, and I can't imagine it keeping if you didn't.

Everything in a can is cooked. After canning. Even tuna. It’s basically given a high temp bath that cooks the contents before a label is attached.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ss13 said:

Clearly nnm doesn’t realize everyone’s rep history is easily viewable. ‘2nd or 3rd ever’ is quite a bit off from 44. 

Oooh, busted!

I was criticized for not knowing what Topo Chico was. I had to Google it. Mexican mineral water? I’ve tried Perrier and didn’t like that. If I don’t like French mineral water then I doubt I’d like Mexican mineral water. 

6 hours ago, ss13 said:

Clearly nnm doesn’t realize everyone’s rep history is easily viewable. ‘2nd or 3rd ever’ is quite a bit off from 44. 

Wow. I guess I participated in a few fatwas that I forgot about. 
Edit: and changed my neg to a rage/pos rep. 

Edited by nnm

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oooh, busted!

I was criticized for not knowing what Topo Chico was. I had to Google it. Mexican mineral water? I’ve tried Perrier and didn’t like that. If I don’t like French mineral water then I doubt I’d like Mexican mineral water. 

It's a damn good mixer.  Tequila + the grapefruit Topo Chico - basically a 2 ingredient paloma. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right but I don't think that's "unpopular". 

Sorry, I forgot to quote this:

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Like in comparison to other seltzer waters? I seriously don’t understand what could make it “shitty.” It’s literally just water and bubbles. If you don’t like bubble water just say that?

Their truck stop enchiladas are the winning order.....

o.jpg

Also, if any of you lawyer types want to get in a foolish drinking contest with Stanley Johanson, show up on Friday night, he'll be there.  With his wife, eating Tex-Mex and having drinks before they go dancing at Donn's Depot.  The man is a legend.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, ztejas said:

Right but I don't think that's "unpopular". 

I just don't understand. If someone doesn't like selzer that's fine. But is he saying he likes selzer waters but Topo Chico tastes like "shit" compared to other plain seltzer waters? That makes zero sense. I'd bet a year's pay if you did a blind tasting of a dozen plain selzers he wouldn't know which one was Topo.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:46 PM, leaf said:

Topo Chico is shitty.

I fucking love it.  Nice and refreshing.

Finding the grapefruit Topo is even better.

Thanks for not hogging it all.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Love me some beef enchiladas at La Mancha on Hancock.

D6338B89-BEEB-43BD-9392-AC42EA040291.jpeg

Double rice, no beans.  My brother does that shit too.

Not knocking it, but properly made frijoles refritos can be a difference maker in whether or not a I return to an alleged Tex-Mex establishment.

Just now, slorch said:

Double rice, no beans.  My brother does that shit too.

Not knocking it, but properly made frijoles refritos can be a difference maker in whether or not a I return to an alleged Tex-Mex establishment.

I rarely eat beans, refried or whichever, whilst consuming even moderate amounts of tequila. 
Otherwise my digestive tract will produce a Chernobyl level of toxicity in the immediate environs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Their truck stop enchiladas are the winning order.....

o.jpg

Also, if any of you lawyer types want to get in a foolish drinking contest with Stanley Johanson, show up on Friday night, he'll be there.  With his wife, eating Tex-Mex and having drinks before they go dancing at Donn's Depot.  The man is a legend.

So you go all out with tres instead of dos. Awesome!

All these Comic book themed movies are contributing to the downfall of humanity.  Batman, Thor…  

Yes, life can be hard but no superhero is going to come save anything and, if one did, he would just get greedy, arrogant and would end up being on the damned Kardashian show.  Inevitable letdown.

Captain American can FO too.

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

All these Comic book themed movies are contributing to the downfall of humanity.  Batman, Thor…  

Yes, life can be hard but no superhero is going to come save anything and, if one did, he would just get greedy, arrogant and would end up being on the damned Kardashian show.  Inevitable letdown.

Captain American can FO too.

You should watch The Boys on Prime Video.