Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I spent ten minutes explaining to an UT student that wants to ban all fossil fuels from cars that the inside of many electric cars are made from oil.  They declared that impossible, electric cars don’t use any oil even on the inside.  I showed them where on just their keyfob was made from oil.  

But the owners Facebook page for their particular  brand of car says their cars use no fossil fuels.  

Not even top 7%, or whatever it is now, can weed out all the morons.

I spent ten minutes explaining to an UT student that wants to ban all fossil fuels from cars that the inside of many electric cars are made from oil.  They declared that impossible, electric cars don’t use any oil even on the inside.  I showed them where on just their keyfob was made from oil.  
 But the owners Facebook page for their particular  brand of car says their cars use no fossil fuels.  

Where does he think the electricity comes from?

42 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you'll get what you get and you'll like it, else we won't make any more movies about Iowa

That's why it's a state law that we have to pretend it's our favorite movie.

Shit, I liked it when I was a kid simply because it was literally the only pop culture reference to Iowa at the time - other than the episode of Saved By The Bell where Dan Gable is recruiting Slater.

19 hours ago, RollLeft said:

What environmental impact does it take to make a dishwasher, use electricity and use water.  Less than using a paper plate is my guess.  So, foku.  

You moron - he only rinses his plates with collected rainwater and scrubs them with a pinecone, lye and animal fat made from that winter's slaughtered pig. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Shit, I liked it when I was a kid simply because it was literally the only pop culture reference to Iowa at the time - other than the episode of Saved By The Bell where Dan Gable is recruiting Slater.

Meh, you could be most famous for some bitch getting swept away by a tornado, yielding 12,374 "You're Not in Kansas Anymore" signs at road games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Meh, you could be most famous for some bitch getting swept away by a tornado, yielding 12,374 "You're Not in Kansas Anymore" signs at road games.

That's a fair point.

Along those lines, I'm still butt hurt that they filmed most of Twister in Iowa, but set it in Oklahoma.  It's not like we're strangers to the ways of the tornado.

tornado_alley.jpg

other than the episode of Saved By The Bell where Dan Gable is recruiting Slater.

Slater fell a long way in 1 year. Wrestling at West Point or Iowa to getting bossed around by Bob Golic at Cal U. (I don’t remember his status on the wrestling or football team)

Major Slater: "Iowa?"
Slater: "Yeah, uh, I owe-a Zack ten bucks."
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's a fair point.

Along those lines, I'm still butt hurt that they filmed most of Twister in Iowa, but set it in Oklahoma.  It's not like we're strangers to the ways of the tornado.

tornado_alley.jpg

The Big 12 should have gone with the name Tornado Alley.

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Big 12 should have gone with the name Tornado Alley.

I always thought the Great Plains Conference would have worked, if not for WVU.  Regional descriptor, and not tied to a number that isn't accurate.

"GPC" has a nice, convenient zip to it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I always thought the Great Plains Conference would have worked, if not for WVU.  Regional descriptor, and not tied to a number that isn't accurate.

"GPC" has a nice, convenient zip to it.

I'll support the name change if we kick out WVU and bring Colorado and Nebraska back into the conference. Add Colorado State or Air Force to make the Great Plains Conference 12 members and we are good to go.

23 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Trees aren't biodegradable? Color me shocked.

stuff in landfills doesn't degrade.*  newspaper headlines dug up in a landfill from the 1930s shoulda told ya. 

*specially designed landfills can do it, but i'm guessing most operating landfills aren't those.  and since i'm starring things, yes, given a geologic timescale it degrades, but that's a uselessly long timespan for purposes of what we're discussing.

Edited by elfenix

On 1/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I think Field of Dreams sucks.  I mean the acting sucks and the story sucks and the emotional reveal at the end is roll your eyes cheesy. 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:05 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

It's also an absurdly comical, pandering, stereotypical display of life in Iowa.  I've never seen a local PTA try to ban books from the school library, and the idea that a guy farming for a living is going to walk out into a 200 acre cornfield and tend to his weed issues with a fucking garden hoe is, well, I can't even start with that shit.

Nick Offerman got this, from a podcast I heard recently. It's a lot funnier to hear it in the way he tells it too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nick-offerman-really-doesn-apos-180526010.html

"I made a quick list of just absolutely ridiculous things about this film. First of all, Kevin Costner is ostensibly an Iowa farmer. He wears no belt. There are so many glaring reality and continuity issues here.

The first time he hears the voice, he’s out wandering in a shoulder-high cornfield, in the middle of the field, with a shovel — just wandering through the field with a shovel, which makes absolutely no sense. Then he goes to the seed store, where he asks some of the older farmers if they had heard voices in the cornfield. They look at him like he’s crazy, and he just buys one bag of corn seed at harvest time. I’ll let you do the math on that.

Then, Shoeless Joe shows up out on the ballfield, and Kevin Coster runs out. Fortunately, a dozen — at least — baseball bats and a huge bag of baseballs are sitting out by the unprotected backstop, so that if it were to be a dewy evening, let alone if, God forbid, it rained, all of the equipment would be ruined. Shoeless Joe asks him to pitch to him, he’s got enough bats and balls to field two college teams, yet he takes the mound with no mitt. No mitt? You put in lights in your cornfield and you have no mitt?…

Finally, the whole plot is predicated on the fact that this crazy farmer had this vision, plowed under a bunch of his corn to build a baseball field in his cornfield. And everybody says, “you’re crazy, you’re hearing voices, what’s the matter with you? You’re plowing under your cash crop? You’re going to lose your farm.”

I based my math on the dimensions of Wrigley Field, and determined — being generous to the filmmakers — the baseball diamond would encompass two acres. The average size of an Iowa corn farm is 345 acres. It’s absolutely ridiculous that it would have any impact on his profits to the point where they’d lose the farm."

Edited by 'stache

I had forgotten the purchase of the single bag of seed.

A 50 lb bag of seed can fill maybe 1 individual row box on a planter that Costner would have been using.  Given the era and the (presumed) scale of his operation, he'd likely have a 6 row planter.  That's enough seed to fill 1/6th of his planter.  It could plant 2.5 acres, about.  Judging off Google Earth, the field that the Field of Dreams appears to be part of what's essentially a 240 acre farm with maybe 210 acres in production.  So about 1% of the farm.

Not to mention the timing, as Offerman points out (although I remember it being mid summer in the movie, not harvest). 

Nick Offerman got this, from a podcast I heard recently. It's a lot funnier to hear it in the way he tells it too.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nick-offerman-really-doesn-apos-180526010.html
"I made a quick list of just absolutely ridiculous things about this film...Shoeless Joe asks him to pitch to him, he’s got enough bats and balls to field two college teams, yet he takes the mound with no mitt. No mitt? You put in lights in your cornfield and you have no mitt?…

That infamous pitcher’s mitt. That’ll getcha every time.

It's also an absurdly comical, pandering, stereotypical display of life in Iowa.  I've never seen a local PTA try to ban books from the school library, and the idea that a guy farming for a living is going to walk out into a 200 acre cornfield and tend to his weed issues with a fucking garden hoe is, well, I can't even start with that shit.

I bet when Ferris Bueller takes his day off ChiTownDoc sits there and yells at the screen “yea like you are going to roll around that many places in Chicago with no traffic and then just magically get back to the burbs....oh you’re taking the train, well they’re on a fucking schedule”
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, Gen. Applewhite said:

Scott 1000 is the best toilet paper.

Dry shit paper?  Pfft... Baby wipes. Choose whatever brand you want. I keep them in every shitter in my house, I travel with them in my hygiene kit, I keep a packet in my truck. There’s really just no reason to rub my ass with dry toilet paper ever again. That shit is for the commoners. 

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What is it with Iowa and wrestling and Dan Gable? I haven’t heard that name in 20 years.  I only know who he is now because the 2 guys from Iowa in my platoon in bootcamp never shut up about him 20 years ago.  They were incredulous none of us had ever heard of him. You just brought me down memory lane. 

Edited by Your Mom

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I bet when Ferris Bueller takes his day off ChiTownDoc sits there and yells at the screen “yea like you are going to roll around that many places in Chicago with no traffic and then just magically get back to the burbs....oh you’re taking the train, well they’re on a fucking schedule”

As I'm sure you find it strange that Bud Kilmer cares way more about his 23 district titles than his 2 state championships.

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

What is it with Iowa and wrestling and Dan Gable? I haven’t heard that name in 20 years.  I only know who he is now because the 2 guys from Iowa in my platoon in bootcamp never shut up about him 20 years ago.  They were incredulous none of us had ever heard of him. You just brought me down memory lane. 

Wrestling was really popular in Iowa for years, and Dan Gable was better at it than anyone else.  He was undefeated during his time wrestling at ISU, then he won Olympic gold, then he turned heel and lead the Hawkeyes to dominance as their head coach for years.  There are few people who have so thoroughly dominated their sport at as many different levels as he did.

I've never been much of a fan, and it's a slowly petering out niche sport that no one gives a shit about outside the Plains Midwest and Pennsylvania/New Jersey.  My brother wrestled, so I spent a lot of time at youth wrestling meets as a kid.  It's about an 8 hour ordeal, in some high school gym with a bunch of assholes living vicariously through their kids, aged 5 to 12.  Thankfully my folks weren't that way (they just went to these things because my brother participated), but I was bored out of my damn mind the whole time.  Wrestlers, as a group, are actually super Aggy.  They have an inferiority complex about the popularity of basketball (which overtook wrestling in popularity in Iowa when I was growing up and is now light years beyond), and they make shirts about it.  They all have that cauliflower ear, and they generally seem like psychopaths.  

The Iowa high school wrestling tournament is a sight to behold.  Every small town wrestling fan descends on downtown for a weekend of demonstrating their aggressive insularity to the rest of the world.  Each town with matching shirts, high school kids getting shitfaced in hotels downtown, and their parents going out to bars (in their matching shirts), bitching about $4 beers, and starting fights with "city faggots".  

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Dry shit paper?  Pfft... Baby wipes. Choose whatever brand you want. I keep them in every shitter in my house, I travel with them in my hygiene kit, I keep a packet in my truck. There’s really just no reason to rub my ass with dry toilet paper ever again. That shit is for the commoners. 

Do you flush them or do you have a trash can full of shitty wipes in your bathroom? 

41 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And let me guess - that same student section also reflexively boos at every last little thing that goes against the home team? 

Meh, it works.  Iowa State and K-State are the most vocal in booing and they're always 1 and 2 in the Big 12 in home/road foul splits.

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Your plumber is going to make a fortune on you.

Edited by Cheeseweasel

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wrestling was really popular in Iowa for years, and Dan Gable was better at it than anyone else.  He was undefeated during his time wrestling at ISU, then he won Olympic gold, then he turned heel and lead the Hawkeyes to dominance as their head coach for years.  There are few people who have so thoroughly dominated their sport at as many different levels as he did.

I've never been much of a fan, and it's a slowly petering out niche sport that no one gives a shit about outside the Plains Midwest and Pennsylvania/New Jersey.  My brother wrestled, so I spent a lot of time at youth wrestling meets as a kid.  It's about an 8 hour ordeal, in some high school gym with a bunch of assholes living vicariously through their kids, aged 5 to 12.  Thankfully my folks weren't that way (they just went to these things because my brother participated), but I was bored out of my damn mind the whole time.  Wrestlers, as a group, are actually super Aggy.  They have an inferiority complex about the popularity of basketball (which overtook wrestling in popularity in Iowa when I was growing up and is now light years beyond), and they make shirts about it.  They all have that cauliflower ear, and they generally seem like psychopaths.  

The Iowa high school wrestling tournament is a sight to behold.  Every small town wrestling fan descends on downtown for a weekend of demonstrating their aggressive insularity to the rest of the world.  Each town with matching shirts, high school kids getting shitfaced in hotels downtown, and their parents going out to bars (in their matching shirts), bitching about $4 beers, and starting fights with "city faggots".  

Is football or basketball more popular in Iowa? 

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Sounds hilarious and awesome. We need the modern day Hunter S. Thompson to do a Rollingstone story on this weekend.

I should have been taking notes when I partook my freshman year at ISU.  My cousin was doing filming for a school that wanted him to document their school's experience.

In hindsight, it was very much the "Fear and Loathing" experience.  He rented a hotel room from Thursday night through Sunday AM at Hotel Fort Des Moines.  I drove down from Ames, and we just kind of went wild.  Running around the skyway with open beers (I was 18, he was 21), hotel room full of drunk late high school/early college kids listening to the bad pop hip hop of the day (February 2004).  Getting a handjob in the hotel pool.  Ducking out on Friday afternoon to drive up to Minneapolis (drinking the entire way, mind you) to go to an OAR concert on the U of M campus, and then driving back immediately after.  Running a drunken gambling ring to bet on the finals on Saturday night, and eventually ending up at a Perkins in South Des Moines at 3AM watching a 17 year kid from podunk northern Iowa recoil in horror as he got hit on by a table of transvestites.

The wrestlers he was supposed to cover got bounced early on Friday, and thus he was free of responsibility and (relatively) flush on cash.

4 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Is football or basketball more popular in Iowa? 

Probably football, but it's relatively close.  Basketball is a lot more popular in Iowa than it is in Texas, for example, but we aren't on the level of Indiana, Kansas, or Kentucky in terms of it being the most popular sport.

There aren't many sports fans who have a strong interest in one, but lack interest in the other.  At the high school and college levels you see a pretty equal interest.  It's the pro level where things change.  The NFL is very popular in Iowa, and the NBA isn't at all.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

For the record, people in Stillwater OK care very much about men's wrestling.

I'm aware.  I figured my previous descriptor covered them.  OU has an active program as well.  Mizzou as well (at least they did before the SEC).  By "Plains Midwest" I meant anything north of Texas between the Mississippi and Rockies.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Do you flush them or do you have a trash can full of shitty wipes in your bathroom? 

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Your plumber is going to make a fortune on you.

They make flushables. Kandoo flushable cleansing wipes. They’re in the kid aisle at H-E-B. Been using them since my teenager was a toddler. No plumbing issues. 

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No I didn't, I was simply expanding on your assuming post with my, you know, actuall real life engagement with people who, you know, actually live in the states you mentioned.

Fucking shit..

LMAO.   Yep, you missed it.  It’s ok, happens sometimes.