Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

7 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

It’s ok and I’ll watch it instead of Jerry Springer before I go pick my kid up from school, but they seem to cover people I give zero shits about.

Yeah kind of my same thought. I'm in my late 20s so I know a lot of the people they cover but I don't really care that much about any of it. I'd never visit their website. I just think the way they present stories and provide commentary is objectively good television. 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha. Usually it’s on at about 1 am. I watched some of it yesterday.

I'm telling you man it's good TV haha. 

I spent years as a researcher in the GLO archives studying the earliest Texans and the revolution. Nothing makes the John Wayne Alamo myth crowd more mad than when you start throwing around the term “Illegal Aliens “ when describing Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, and the majority of the dudes in the Alamo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posted from Christmas movie thread, but I know this is a very unpopular opinion around here probably:

Home Alone has NOT aged well.

Tried to watch this the other day with the family and for being PG, it didn't feel very family friendly. And I'm not talking about the hijinks of Kevin getting the criminals with physical harm which was warranted and awesome.

Kevin was right and I actually felt bad for him because of the emotional abuse: the family is cruel, they use horrible language with each other, the parents are awful to the children, and it's just a disgusting family dynamic that made my heart hurt. Maybe this is how it was in the 90's and we've gotten better as families and a society, but it was very problematic to watch and we as a family all agreed to turn it off:

• If my brother ever yelled at my son and called him a jerk, we are going to have some serious problems. Much less a parent ever calling their kids inflammatory and derogatory names.
  • The Mom being awful to her son was gross
  • A child of Kevin's age emoting "I hate you!" screams a lack of emotional development up to this point
  • Kids bullying one another and being ugly to one another and parents not being present or aware enough to change the behaviors. 
  • An enabling culture
  • Letting kids as young as Fuller drink soda is probably the least offensive but as someone who thinks that's a very poor behavior/habit to allow kids it stuck with me.

Anyways, this movie was a gut punch and made me feel sad. None of those things that set up the movie were meant to be funny or over-the-top, but a more or less straight take and realistic point of view of a family dynamic around the holidays. That's the sad part. Movies like Christmas Vacation which use dysfunction as comedy is different. This was supposed to be facsimile to a "modern" real family in the 90's.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Speaking of Home Alone, we did a rewatch a couple years ago. I actually enjoyed the 2nd one more than the 1st on rewatch. But I definitely get more nostalgia from the original. I think i only saw the 2nd one a few times at most growing up.

Same. Also saw Home alone 3 for the first time a few years ago and it was pretty bad. Young ScarJo was in it which was surprising.

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Holy shot hahahaha. But not surprising.

Better topic is, why do you keep coming back to this site when it’s obvious folks don’t like you here? You are continuously crowd sourced. Why come back?

Yawn.

17 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Cross posted from Christmas movie thread, but I know this is a very unpopular opinion around here probably:

Tried to watch this the other day with the family and for being PG, it didn't feel very family friendly. And I'm not talking about the hijinks of Kevin getting the criminals with physical harm which was warranted and awesome.

Kevin was right and I actually felt bad for him because of the emotional abuse: the family is cruel, they use horrible language with each other, the parents are awful to the children, and it's just a disgusting family dynamic that made my heart hurt. Maybe this is how it was in the 90's and we've gotten better as families and a society, but it was very problematic to watch and we as a family all agreed to turn it off:

• If my brother ever yelled at my son and called him a jerk, we are going to have some serious problems. Much less a parent ever calling their kids inflammatory and derogatory names.
  • A child of Kevin's age emoting "I hate you!" screams a lack of emotional development up to this point
  • Kids bullying one another and being ugly to one another and parents not being present or aware enough to change the behaviors. 
  • An enabling culture
  • Letting kids as young as Fuller drink soda is probably the least offensive but as someone who thinks that's a very poor behavior/habit to allow kids it stuck with me.

Anyways, this movie was a gut punch and made me feel sad. None of those things that set up the movie were meant to be funny or over-the-top, but a more or less straight take and realistic point of view of a family dynamic around the holidays. That's the sad part. Movies like Christmas Vacation which use dysfunction as comedy is different. This was supposed to be facsimile to a "modern" real family in the 90's.

It's takes like this that convince me that we are witnessing the decline of the American empire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

Rookie of the Year has not aged well. Tried to watch this the other day, and it didn't feel very realistic. For one, there's no way that breaking your arm could realistically lead to you be able to throw a ball that much harder than normal. And what sort of parents would let a kid be in an MLB clubhouse unsupervised? 

Just now, Okie State said:
7 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:
See? This was the right thread as I knew this would be an innocent yet grievously unpopular opinion around here.

It's just a strange take. All the horrible shit in the world and you're taking issue with a movie where a kid drinks Pepsi.

Isn’t this thread for weird takes? Admittedly I said that was probably just a me thing (kids drinking soda) but the overall critique was more around how a movie rated PG you assume would be more or less family friendly (and more importantly, it WAS considered as such in the 90’s nearly 35 years ago with where we were as society) but instead the First Act of the movie is extreme family dysfunction and emotional and verbal child abuse passed off as normal Americana. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Rookie of the Year has not aged well. Tried to watch this the other day, and it didn't feel very realistic. For one, there's no way that breaking your arm could realistically lead to you be able to throw a ball that much harder than normal. And what sort of parents would let a kid be in an MLB clubhouse unsupervised? 

Yep tried to watch this earlier this year on Disney+. Fucking terrible and couldn't even make it more than 30min. I would assume a lot of movies like this I enjoyed as kids are the same. They were never good movies but being a kid in that time, I didn't analyze movies like that. 3 Ninjas also aged horribly.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep tried to watch this earlier this year on Disney+. Fucking terrible and couldn't even make it more than 30min. I would assume a lot of movies like this I enjoyed as kids are the same. They were never good movies but being a kid in that time, I didn't analyze movies like that. 3 Ninjas also aged horribly.

I was joking. I haven't seen that movie since I was 10.

Isn’t this thread for weird takes? Admittedly I said that was probably just a me thing (kids drinking soda) but the overall critique was more around how a movie rated PG you assume would be more or less family friendly (and more importantly, it WAS considered as such in the 90’s nearly 35 years ago with where we were as society) but instead the First Act of the movie is extreme family dysfunction and emotional and verbal child abuse passed off as normal Americana. 

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion so I don't really give a shit. I just think it's weird.

And yes, movies from the 80's and 90's were a reflection of what was okay at the time. Not sure what that says about where we are now that we would let that stuff bother us. I mean the worst thing they say is jerk, stupid, ass...etc. They're just words and parents can teach their kids whatever they want with regards to when/if those words should be used.

Also, all families are dysfunctional in their own way. Some don't like to admit it though.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion so I don't really give a shit. I just think it's weird.

And yes, movies from the 80's and 90's were a reflection of what was okay at the time. Not sure what that says about where we are now that we would let that stuff bother us. I mean the worst thing they say is jerk, stupid, ass...etc. They're just words and parents can teach their kids whatever they want with regards to when/if those words should be used.

Also, all families are dysfunctional in their own way. Some don't like to admit it though.

So true.

"All happy families are alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" (Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina, 1878)

Edited by HamsterHookah

On 12/22/2022 at 12:22 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Pretty sure Britney Spears parents would. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

So I found myself reading a wall of text about an old movie that maybe or maybe not be relevant.  Then I looked at the poster's handle.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Holy shot hahahaha. But not surprising.

Better topic is, why do you keep coming back to this site when it’s obvious folks don’t like you here? You are continuously crowd sourced. Why come back?

The better question is why he keeps using the same AI generated usernames.  Why not come back as LongDukDong or SantaRitaRoustabout or something that isn't a DEAD FUCKING GIVEAWAY.  He's either a robot or posting from some KGB academy in Siberia.  Need proof?  He'll +rep this post.  It's what he/it thinks is the way to be friends and influence us.  Anyone normal (or abnormal) would neg this post and everyone of mine he finds until he sobers up (I'm looking at you 4DoorsWhores and USNA Longhorn).  

(Edit: if I had a spare email I think I'd use SantaRitaRoustabout as my backup in case I ever get the banhammer).  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The better question is why he keeps using the same AI generated usernames.  Why not come back as LongDukDong or SantaRitaRoustabout or something that isn't a DEAD FUCKING GIVEAWAY.  He's either a robot or posting from some KGB academy in Siberia.  Need proof?  He'll +rep this post.  It's what he/it thinks is the way to be friends and influence us.  Anyone normal would neg this post and everyone of mine he finds until he sobers up.  

(Edit: if I had a spare email I think I'd use SantaRitaRoustabout as my backup in case I ever get the banhammer).  

He took his current handle from a suggestion made by another user in another thread. 

• Haha 1

Wool as this clothing supermaterial is romanticized and overrated.  Its delicate to handle, shrinks like a bitch, gets misshapened if you look at it wrong, and even if all of those goes right….moths chew holes in it after 1 season.

Sweaters in lambswool, merino wool, cashmere wool…ive had them all and ill take cotton and synthetic blends, thanks. 

Edited by 52-80

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I kind of feel bad for A&M. Literally everything they do is monumentally stupid and it must suck to have gone to school there or be a fan. Thought about that after the Petrino news.

That certainly is in the spirit of this thread.

Unpopular as fuck.

I kind of feel bad for A&M. Literally everything they do is monumentally stupid and it must suck to have gone to school there or be a fan. Thought about that after the Petrino news.
After how they acted after the gratitude we showed after their 99 bonfire stupidity that killed people, I'm going to have to disagree and say fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

You know what movie fiction *would* be real now?

Rodney Dangerfield’s Ladybugs. Except the boy publicly (instead of covertly) identifies as a girl, dominate the soccer league, and gets hailed as stunning and brave

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, 52-80 said:

Wool as this clothing supermaterial is romanticized and overrated.  Its delicate to handle, shrinks like a bitch, gets misshapened if you look at it wrong, and even if all of those goes right….moths chew holes in it after 1 season.

Sweaters in lambswool, merino wool, cashmere wool…ive had them all and ill take cotton and synthetic blends, thanks. 

I’ve never had any of those things happen except moths, once, about a dozen years ago. So I got a cedar chest and it’s never happened since. I’d argue wool holds its shape, wears better, and shrinks MUCH less than cotton. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

You know what movie fiction *would* be real now?

Rodney Dangerfield’s Ladybugs. Except the boy publicly (instead of covertly) identifies as a girl, dominate the soccer league, and gets hailed as stunning and brave

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

I’ve never had any of those things happen except moths, once, about a dozen years ago. So I got a cedar chest and it’s never happened since. I’d argue wool holds its shape, wears better, and shrinks MUCH less than cotton. 
Moth traps in my closet do the trick and catch a disgusting amount of those bastards Before they wreak havoc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...