Mass Layoffs, Chaos At 'Sports Illustrated'

RPM

On 10/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, Underdog said:

One of their great covers...

spacer.png

Preston Pearson, one of the all time greatest receivers out of the backfield. I believe that pic was from the nfc wild card playoff game. Dallas would go on to beat the Rams of Los Angeles, only to lose to  the Steelers of Pittsburgh in Super Bowl X.

Lotta greats played in that supe rbowl game:

Dallas: Roger Staubach, Preston Pearson, Drew Pearson, Robert Newhouse, Golden Richards, Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin, Charlie Waters, Mel Renfro

Pittsburgh: Terri Bradshaw, Lynn Swan, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleir, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Hamm, Jack Lambert

edit: I remember watching that game with my dad and uncle. Both of them were huge Cowboy fans, as was I.

One of the greatest football games ever played (3rd only to the 2005 and 2006 Rosebowls).

edit again: Hollywood Henderson. How could I forget Hollywood Henderson.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

On 10/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I just don't understand how these money-losing ideas keep getting recycled. How does bot-generated "content" actually make money for anybody?

I don’t know, but it’s kind of like how Charlie Strong keeps getting hired. Baffling. 

What has better odds, a bot generated content making money or charlie correctly accepting or declining a penalty?

Edited by SydneyCarton

If I still wanted to support the kind of content I used to get from Sports Illustrated, I'd subscribe to The Athletic, but I cancelled that subscription the minute they aligned with fucking TexAgs and I won't resubscribe until that relationship is severed. That's like opening up a September 1992 issue of SI and seeing Billy Liucci's fat gay mug in the Rick Reilly slot in the old SI magazine. Fuck that shit, fuck Billy Liucci, fuck Texas A&M, and I hope Stewart Mandel fucking learns to code.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Preston Pearson, one of the all time greatest receivers out of the backfield. I believe that pic was from the nfc wild card playoff game. Dallas would go on to beat the Rams of Los Angeles, only to lose to  the Steelers of Pittsburgh in Super Bowl X.

Lotta greats played in that supe rbowl game:

Dallas: Roger Staubach, Preston Pearson, Drew Pearson, Robert Newhouse, Golden Richards, Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin, Charlie Waters, Mel Renfro

Pittsburgh: Terri Bradshaw, Lynn Swan, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleir, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Hamm, Jack Lambert

edit: I remember watching that game with my dad and uncle. Both of them were huge Cowboy fans, as was I.

One of the greatest football games ever played (3rd only to the 2005 and 2006 Rosebowls).

edit again: Hollywood Henderson. How could I forget Hollywood Henderson.

Just think, if PP hadn't dropped the pass prior to the Hail Mary, there may have never been a Hail Mary.  Of course, he made the critical mistake of not going for the sideline to stop the clock late in SB10, losing valuable time that final drive. 

On 10/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

they absolutely fucked the Rockets in 1994

This is the truth. They were ragging on the Rockets that entire season and especially in the playoffs. Fucked us on the cover when we won it in favor of a frigging 1st round US World Cup win over Colombia.  Remember when they said the NHL was hot because the NY Rangers won but the NBA wasn't because we won. SI can go to hell for their anti-Houston bias. I pay for good journalism and subscribe to the NYT, WSJ, Houston Chronicle and the Athletic.

• 4 years later...
On 10/3/2019 at 8:45 PM, Victor Lazlo said:

Times sure have changed. 

I subscribed for roughly 20 years. From when I was in high school in the late ‘70’s. 

That was THE outlet for in depth coverage of the big sports stories. Of course, the coverage was a week after the fact, but that’s all we knew. Hard to comprehend for those that have grown up in the internet age. 

The writers were among the best - if not the best - sportswriters in the country. 

Sad to see SI go down the shitter, but when an old guy like me can find any sports news or opinion that I’d care to read with 2 clicks on my phone, who needs SI?

Especially if they are farming out the writing to freelancers. 

This might be the death knell:  https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/19/business/media/sports-illustrated-mass-layoffs.html

Yup. I'd ride the school bus home every Thursday in anticipation because I knew what would be waiting for me in the mailbox.

After they were caught making up fake writers with fake pictures and using AI to write some of their articles  I knew they might be in trouble.

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

• 3 weeks later...