List of BMF Texans

lemonandaturd

These are not Texans and have no place on a BMF Texan thread.  Not even honorable mention.  

Sam Houston

Stephen F. Austin

William Barrett Travis

Davy Crockett

Randy White

Roger Staubach

Quanah Parker

James Fannin

Erastus "Deaf" Smith

Jack Johnson

Jack Hays

Charles Goodnight

Charlie Beckwith

Bob Lanier

Angelina Eberly

Bigfoot Wallace

16 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

These are not Texans and have no place on a BMF Texan thread.  Not even honorable mention.  

Sam Houston

Stephen F. Austin

William Barrett Travis

Davy Crockett

Randy White

Roger Staubach

Quanah Parker

James Fannin

Erastus "Deaf" Smith

Jack Johnson

Jack Hays

Charles Goodnight

Charlie Beckwith

Bob Lanier

Angelina Eberly

Bigfoot Wallace

If the folks on that list are not Texans then I don't want to be right.   Not Texans?  My ass!

Edited by lemonandaturd

28 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If the folks on that list are not Texans then I don't want to be right.   Not Texans?  My ass!

Yeah but then what?  Is Ricky a BMF Texan?  Darrel Royal?  John Wayne because he played so many Texans?    

Edited by PRONG HORN

58 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

They are not Native born Texans, but they certainly are (or were) Texans by right of their contributions and choice. Particularly those who created, fought for, and bled for Texas.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Yeah but then what?  Is Ricky a BMF Texan?  Darrel Royal?  John Wayne because he played so many Texans?    

DKR was born on soil that was stolen from Texas by the federal courts not long before he was born.

Ricky was a temp.

• Like 1

Jack Johnson - first African American heavyweight champion of the world (boxing)

Clyde Barrow - Bonnie and Clyde

The Undertaker - Professional Wrestler

Gene Roddenberry - Star Trek creator

George Strait - Musician

Patrick Swayze - Actor

Von Erich Family - Professional Wrestlers

On 4/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, Armybrat said:

Slave owner

I don't know one way or the other, but that's not a litmus test for me on this question.  I'm not going to exclude almost everyone on the list prior to June 19, 1865.  The founding of the Texas Republic was accomplished, in large part, by slave owning people - some of which were BAFs.

I appreciate the state capital being Austin and appreciate Eberly for firing the cannon that helped stop Houston's attempt to move it.

Me neither really, but was pointing out the hypocrisy of the "sensitive" Austinites who are trying to remove the names of any Confederates/slavers from schools and their plaques from public view. Am wondering when they will take notice of that part of her background.

Guess I could've elaborated more in that post.  I could care less if she owned slaves.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:10 PM, Bullneck said:

^^^^ They posted his Medal of Honor recommendation at Steindam Hall when I was in ROTC.  100% badass.

`I was a kid when he came to our school and gave a talk, and I remember one of the teachers (Vietnam vet) telling us later that he originally didn't get nominated for the Medal of Honor, because most of the people that witnessed his actions either died, or thought he had died, or were not in a condition to say what he had done.

But he was so fucked up, the doctors had to have known he did and survived some really serious shit.  Giving him a Purple Heart for over a dozen wounds that would have taken down a regular mortal man seems...kinda lacking.  

• Like 1

My grampa WB grew up on a small farm in Pecan Valley, TX before joining the Army MP during WWII. Spent some time in the Phillipenes before the war ended and he then went to Japan and arrested General Honma for ordering the Bataan Death March. After the war he graduated from A&M and moved to Fort Worth where he managed the Stripling & Cox on Lancaster for many years. He married my grandmother and they adopted my mom and he taught me to fish and to never meet a stranger. After his retirement he would work part time as an usher at the FWSSR until his passing in 1999.

He may not have been famous or have a wikipedia page, but my pawpaw WB Carroll was one BMF Texan

• Like 6

My grampa WB grew up on a small farm in Pecan Valley, TX before joining the Army MP during WWII. Spent some time in the Phillipenes before the war ended and he then went to Japan and arrested General Honma for ordering the Bataan Death March. After the war he graduated from A&M and moved to Fort Worth where he managed the Stripling & Cox on Lancaster for many years. He married my grandmother and they adopted my mom and he taught me to fish and to never meet a stranger. After his retirement he would work part time as an usher at the FWSSR until his passing in 1999.

He may not have been famous or have a wikipedia page, but my pawpaw WB Carroll was one BMF Texan
taparep to your gramps.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this far and didn't see a mention of Jim Bowie.

The Sandbar Fight is so badass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbar_Fight

At the conclusion of the initial duel, the party of six (Wells, Maddox, McWorter, Crain, Dr. Cuny, and Dr. Denny) prepared to celebrate survival. They walked toward the remaining Maddox partisans, because no participant of the duel had a violent relationship with that group. The duel participants were balanced in number (three each) and unarmed with the exception of the seconds. Crain carried a loaded pistol in each hand. The duel participants were intercepted by the remaining Wells partisans; Crain now faced three additional armed men. Seeing this from a distance, the remaining Maddox partisans began running forward to join the group. General Cuny, who had previously fought with Crain, is recorded as having called out to him, "Col. Crain, this is a good time to settle our difficulty."[8] Crain fired, missing Cuny but striking Bowie in the hip and knocking him to the ground. Cuny and Crain then exchanged fire, with Crain sustaining a flesh wound in the arm and Cuny dying from a shot to the chest[8] or thigh.[9]

Bowie, rising to his feet, drew his knife and charged at Crain, who struck him so hard upon the head with his empty pistol that it broke and sent Bowie to his knees. Wright appeared, drew a pistol, and shot at the fallen Bowie, missing. Wright then drew his sword cane and stabbed Bowie in the chest, but the thin blade was deflected by his sternum. As Wright attempted to pull the blade free, Bowie reached up, grabbed his shirt, and pulled him down upon the point of his Bowie knife.[10][11] Wright died quickly and Bowie was shot again and stabbed by another member of the group.[12] As Bowie stood, both Blanchard brothers fired at him, and he was struck once in the arm. Bowie spun and cut off part of Alfred's forearm; Carey fired a second shot at Bowie, but missed. As the Blanchard brothers fled, Alfred was shot "through the arm" by Jefferson Wells[13] while Carey was shot at by Major McWorter "without effect".[13]

The brief (90-second)[14] brawl left Samuel Cuny and Norris Wright dead, and Alfred Blanchard and Jim Bowie badly wounded. The unarmed Dr. Denny was shot in a finger and a thigh. Others may have suffered minor injuries; Crain claimed that a bullet "grazed the skin" of his arm.[15]

Crain helped carry Bowie away, with Bowie recorded as having thanked him, saying, "Col. Crain, I do not think, under the circumstances, you ought to have shot me."[8] One doctor reputedly said, "How he [Bowie] lived is a mystery to me, but live he did."[16] The five doctors who had been present for the duel managed to patch Bowie's wounds

My great-great-great grandpa and uncle fought alongside men like Burleson, Hays, Wallace, McCulloch, Caldwell, Gillespie, Ackland, Lucky, and Highsmith.  So I'm going to add their names.

Jim Galbreath

Tom Galbreath (very good friends with Bigfoot)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

My great-great-great grandpa and uncle fought alongside men like Burleson, Hays, Wallace, McCulloch, Caldwell, Gillespie, Ackland, Lucky, and Highsmith.  So I'm going to add their names.

Jim Galbreath

Tom Galbreath (very good friends with Bigfoot)

Hugo gonna tell you your GGG grand pappy and uncle where terrorists.  Just wait.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

You guys that don’t know about Roy Benavidez should read this book. 

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Incredible-Sergeant-Benavidezs-Mission/dp/0804139539

Going to have to read that - not many biographies get such high ratings from hundreds of reviewers.

Reading the Houston ISD website about the school named after him, turns out that they made a G.I.Joe action figure of him about 15 years ago.

Anybody else mentioned in this thread have a G.I. Joe action figure created for them?  Didn't think so. 

On 4/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Sam Houston

Stephen F. Austin

William Barrett Travis

Davy Crockett

Randy White

Roger Staubach

Quanah Parker

James Fannin

Erastus "Deaf" Smith

Jack Johnson

Jack Hays

Charles Goodnight

Charlie Beckwith

Bob Lanier

Angelina Eberly

Bigfoot Wallace

How is Jack Johnson not a Texan? Born in Texas and learned how to fight in the streets of Galveston growing up there as a kid. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

How is Jack Johnson not a Texan? Born in Texas and learned how to fight in the streets of Galveston growing up there as a kid. 

Yes, he's a Texan.  I thought someone meant the singer, but now I know about Jack Johnson the boxer.  I'm so sorry.

picard-facepalm.jpg

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Yes, he's a Texan.  I thought someone meant the singer, but now I know about Jack Johnson the boxer.  I'm so sorry.

I always thought that whole joke taking away someone's "man card" was stupid, but Jesus Christ...