Band of Brothers

Sbbruin

On 5/31/2022 at 3:13 PM, Wade said:

Amazing episode.  Sink (who I liked immensely up to that point) callously disregarding the lives of his men in order to score bragging points with another successful patrol, and Winters, absolutely disgusted by the whole thing.  Weber being treated like a piece of shit because he missed Bastogne, and as mentioned earlier, the change in Malarkey.

The second patrol did NOT happen per the book.  Sink’s nickname was Bourbon Bob, and was nearly as much of a drunk as Nixon…Winters knew this and just hung out by the OP until he passed out.  If I recall it would have been way more dangerous anyways as the moon was out.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, Homercles said:

The second patrol did NOT happen per the book.  Sink’s nickname was Bourbon Bob, and was nearly as much of a drunk as Nixon…Winters knew this and just hung out by the OP until he passed out.  If I recall it would have been way more dangerous anyways as the moon was out.  

I think Sink started out as a good guy.  Then as he rose up in the ranks and started hanging away from the front lines he let HQ politics and that star chasing cloud him

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, DCA_HORN said:

Speaking of Webster, one of my favorite scenes is when he yells at the Germans marching west. Say hello to Ford and General fucking Motors. What were you thinking?

On that line, I've read that German soldiers found even the lowest enlisted American in Normandy had copious cigarettes and chocolate bars.  For the German army such things were luxuries reserved for officers.  If the US had the resources to give that to every soldier, Germany was fooked.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Look at that person's posting history--that was a misfire. 

For those of you that are Dads, how young is too young for Band of Brothers, do you think?

12-13-14.

Maybe younger if I am watching it with them.

• 3 weeks later...

When Captain Spears acknowledges 1st Sgt. Lipton as the leader of Easy Company since  Winters' move to Battalion... it gets dusty.

I've watched the collection at least 10 times start to finish, and eleven billionty times in individual episodes.  Sat there tonight  with tear... it got fucking dusty.

Gutpunch in context of the sacrifice and what happens in Ep 9.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:45 PM, Parliament said:

On that line, I've read that German soldiers found even the lowest enlisted American in Normandy had copious cigarettes and chocolate bars.  For the German army such things were luxuries reserved for officers.  If the US had the resources to give that to every soldier, Germany was fooked.

This.  While the 1965 Battle of the Bulge film was not accurate in many ways, there was a good scene where Robert Shaw’s character presents a cake that was captured from a US enlisted soldier that he received from home as evidence that the war essentially lost barring some military miracle.  

2 hours ago, slorch said:

When Captain Spears acknowledges 1st Sgt. Lipton as the leader of Easy Company since  Winters' move to Battalion... it gets dusty.

I've watched the collection at least 10 times start to finish, and eleven billionty times in individual episodes.  Sat there tonight  with tear... it got fucking dusty.

Gutpunch in context of the sacrifice and what happens in Ep 9.

I believe that's also the episode that Lipton narrated correct?  I always thought he had a good narrator voice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a rewatch over the summer and also listened to the official podcast that came out in 2021. I’m assuming the podcast has been mentioned on this thread previously but it’s 11 episodes, roughly an hour each. One for each BoB ep plus a “prologue” with a Tom Hanks interview.

Really engaging and interesting behind the scenes stories from the cast and creatives about making the show, the training the cast went through, meeting the real members of Easy company, etc. I’m a sucker for behind the scenes stuff on the making of shows and movies but this was really great.

https://spotify.link/xvpwykhY0Db

• Like 1

Has anybody read Fierce Valor: The True Story of Ronald Speirs and his Band of Brothers ?? Came out in May of last year, and from the guys who wrote "Hang Tough" about Dick Winters (one of them owns Winters papers/etc. as a part of his museum).

Fans of Stephen E. Ambrose’s Band of Brothers will be drawn to this complex portrait of the controversial Ronald Speirs, an iconic commander of Easy Company during World War II, whose ferocious courage in three foreign conflicts was matched by his devotion to duty and the bittersweet passions of wartime romance. 

His comrades called him “Killer.” Of the elite paratroopers who served in the venerated “Band of Brothers” during World War II, none were more enigmatic than Ronald Speirs. Rumored to have gunned down enemy prisoners and even one of his own disobedient sergeants, Speirs’ became a foxhole legend amongst his troops. But who was the real Lieutenant Speirs? 

In Fierce Valor, historians Jared Frederick and Erik Dorr unveil the full story of Easy Company’s longest-serving commander for the first time. Tested by trials of extreme training, military rivalry, and lost love, Speirs’s international odyssey begins as an immigrant child in Prohibition-era Boston, continues through the bloody campaigns in France, Holland, and Germany, and sheds light on his lesser known exploits in Korea, the Cold War, and embattled Laos.

Packed with groundbreaking research, Fierce Valor unveils a compelling portrait of an officer defined by boldness on the battlefield and a telling reminder that few soldiers escape the power of their own pasts.

The authors are legit - I have watched most of this guy's YouTube shows, and he covers Band of Brothers.

6dpfdv0i1ksi5me0j0o3gvfm8n._SX300_CR0,0,

Jared Frederick has a lifelong passion for American History. Prior to his current position as an Instructor of History at Penn State Altoona, Frederick served as a park ranger at Gettysburg National Military Park and Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. He is the author of several books including Dispatches of D-Day: A People's History of the Normandy Invasion, Hang Tough: The WWII Letters and Artifacts of Major Dick Winters, and Fierce Valor: The True Stories of Ronald Speirs and His Band of Brothers. He has appeared on C-SPAN, PBS, numerous National Park Service productions, and various online documentaries. In 2019, he acted as a guest host on Turner Classic Movies for the channel’s 25th anniversary. He is also the host of the popular YouTube channel Reel History. The author is available for presentations and various speaking engagements. Visit www.jaredfrederick.com to learn more.

And the other author is one of his buddies, and had access to Dick Winters' papers/journals/etc.

Erik Dorr is the owner of the Gettysburg Museum of History—a structure that witnessed the famous 1863 battle. At an early age, Erik began collecting historical relics from throughout history. This broad range of artifacts has grown into one of the finest privately-owned collections in the United States. Among the treasures in the museum is the largest assortment of Major Dick Winters and Easy Company artifacts in the world. In his wide array of historical adventures, Dorr has led European battlefield tours and has appeared on the History Channel, C-Span, Syfy, Travel, and the Smithsonian Channel. He is the Co-Host of the American Artifact series on You Tube's "The History Underground". Learn more at www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com

I'm going to read it here shortly.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, TonyTexas said:

It’s currently on Netflix if you have it. Much better experience than AMC. 

Yep.  I can watch it on HBO Max or whatever it’s called now any time, but when I’m surfing channels before the UT game and come across BoB I have to watch it.  

Cross-posting from the Masters of the Air thread:

I happened to be listening to NPR the other day and happened to catch this clip on the Nisei soldiers.

Pretty amazing story about which I was completely unaware.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/10/1212389414/defining-courage-tells-the-story-of-wwii-nisei-soldiers

Seems like it would be an awesome BoB series subject.

• Like 1

Cross-posting from the Masters of the Air thread:
I happened to be listening to NPR the other day and happened to catch this clip on the Nisei soldiers.
Pretty amazing story about which I was completely unaware.
https://www.npr.org/2023/11/10/1212389414/defining-courage-tells-the-story-of-wwii-nisei-soldiers
Seems like it would be an awesome BoB series subject.

No no. Helobious has told us there’s no new tales to tell from that war.
  • Rage+1 1

Just finished my first watch of both BoB and the Pacific the last couple of weeks. The Pacific got hated on upthread a bit, and while not as good as BoB, I thought it was still pretty captivating. The Okinawa episode(s?) were great, with Snafu and Sledge wrestling with their humanity as they confront civilians caught up in the battle. Can't wait for Masters of the Air.

• Like 4

That whole episode devoted to shore leave was intense, wasn’t it? Really contributed a lot to the overall plot line. 

Yeah it did. It reminded the viewers that most of those GI’s were just boys. They had already been through an unimaginable hell, but they got a little time to just be dumb kids getting drunk and chasing tail. The knew it wouldn’t last long before they were asked to go charge up some beach that the Japanese had every inch of in their crosshairs. But for just a couple of weeks, they got to feel normal again.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I interviewed my grandfather in 2015 about his life and I have been transcribing it to put into print this week to give to my father for Xmas.  Just got to the part where he invaded Saipan and Tinian.  Super cool stuff.

I would love to read that, sir. 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:52 AM, Hate said:

Yeah it did. It reminded the viewers that most of those GI’s were just boys. They had already been through an unimaginable hell, but they got a little time to just be dumb kids getting drunk and chasing tail. The knew it wouldn’t last long before they were asked to go charge up some beach that the Japanese had every inch of in their crosshairs. But for just a couple of weeks, they got to feel normal again.

Oh, they were just kids? Who knew?

Lulz. It was a throwaway episode. It contributed nothing. You can skip it and you wouldn’t miss anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1