Band of Brothers

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, RPM said:

The difference in Pacific and European wars was the enemy. The nazis, as horrible as they were, somewhat held to the rules of war in battle and taking prisoners. The worst they had were the SS, which made up a small portion of their military.

With the Japanese, they gave zero fucks about rules of war. Their entire military was like the SS. They were fanatics acting on the word of God (Hirohito).

Yup. Hence the reasoning behind saying the Euro theater beat the Pacific.

I think we should draw a distinction between the Waffen SS, the military, and the SS, the political.

The political SS was always composed of fanatical Nazis, the Waffen SS less so, particularly in the lower ranks, but the officers were always "reliable" Nazis.

By 1944, probably half the Heer wasn't even German, and the German ones were 16.

The worst thing about the Pacific theater was that there were few or no "rear areas" for a break from combat. There was no Paris or quaint French or Dutch town a short march or drive away.

The island campaigns lasted months at a time and there was some downtime between them, but downtime constituted hanging out on a shitty troop transport and going to a place like Ulithi for a few days, where you got a day or two on an island and got to hang out on a tender, which was not bad.

Trips to Australia or Pearl were few and far between.  The best places were like the medical island Leckie was on for a few weeks.

Kind of a different deal, but of the same ilk.  My Dad was at sea on a destroyer for more than an entire year.  They had a dog on board that was raised from a puppy to a mature dog without setting foot on land.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

The worst thing about the Pacific theater was that there were few or no "rear areas" for a break from combat. There was no Paris or quaint French or Dutch town a short march or drive away.
The island campaigns lasted months at a time and there was some downtime between them, but downtime constituted hanging out on a shitty troop transport and going to a place like Ulithi for a few days, where you got a day or two on an island and got to hang out on a tender, which was not bad.
Trips to Australia or Pearl were few and far between.  The best places were like the medical island Leckie was on for a few weeks.
Kind of a different deal, but of the same ilk.  My Dad was at sea on a destroyer for more than an entire year.  They had a dog on board that was raised from a puppy to a mature dog without setting foot on land.

Yup. My Old Man was with the 25th Infantry when they invaded Luzon. They set a record for continuous days in combat at 165. He was on a ship preparing to head to Japan for the Operation Olympic invasion when the war ended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, RPM said:

The difference in Pacific and European wars was the enemy. The nazis, as horrible as they were, somewhat held to the rules of war in battle and taking prisoners. The worst they had were the SS, which made up a small portion of their military.

With the Japanese, they gave zero fucks about rules of war. Their entire military was like the SS. They were fanatics acting on the word of God (Hirohito).

I remember reading Ambrose's book "Citizen Soldiers", which I HIGHLY recommend for any WWII buffs who haven't read it yet.... anyway... in the book he had interviews from not only Americans, but also Germans, Russians and Japanese.

At one point, he was talking about the "hatred" each country's soldiers had for each other... the most "hate", by far was U.S.-Japan and Germany-Russia.

He talked about how most U.S. soldiers found that, once they got into Germany, they were surprised to learn that they had the most in common with the "regular people" of Germany vs. any of the other places in Europe... similar culture, similar foods, etc.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, RPM said:

Well, with us they're were roughly rules of war in Europe.  There were absolutely zero rules of war between the Nazis and the Soviets.

The other aspect that made a big difference is we only got a small fraction of the German's focus in the European theater.  We got a small taste of what they could do at the Bulge, when air power wasn't a factor, and we barely held on. The German's focused the vast majority of their energy on the Russians, right up through the fall of Berlin.

Edited by Bateshorn

Well damn. NOw 8 episodes in.  The last 3- Bastogne, Breaking Point, and The Last Patrol- have been among the best things I've ever watched on TV.  How I let this miniseries get past me is a travesty.  I blame my wife, who I could never get to watch something like this.  But the courage and valor these men showed is something I can't really even fathom.  I really like the element of The Last Patrol where the one guy, Webster, who had been wounded some months back and missed Bastogne, and the West Point noob Jones show up and see the look in these guys faces was captured so well.  They don't know what they have been through, but by the look in their eyes, they knew it was some gnarly ass shit.  

I will definitely rewatch the entire series soon to catch what I missed the first go around.  But I kick myself for waiting this long.  A masterpiece.

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Well damn. NOw 8 episodes in.  The last 3- Bastogne, Breaking Point, and The Last Patrol- have been among the best things I've ever watched on TV.  How I let this miniseries get past me is a travesty.  I blame my wife, who I could never get to watch something like this.  But the courage and valor these men showed is something I can't really even fathom.  I really like the element of The Last Patrol where the one guy, Webster, who had been wounded some months back and missed Bastogne, and the West Point noob Jones show up and see the look in these guys faces was captured so well.  They don't know what they have been through, but by the look in their eyes, they knew it was some gnarly ass shit.  

I will definitely rewatch the entire series soon to catch what I missed the first go around.  But I kick myself for waiting this long.  A masterpiece.

That's awesome man.

I've watched and re-watched BoB so many times I basically have the episodes memorized.

Bastogne and Breaking Point are TOUGH watches every time... although the part where Spears takes over in Breaking Point is one of the best moments in the whole series.  I think The Last Patrol or Replacements may be my single favorite episode.

And yeah I always through it was interesting  how in The Last Patrol where the guys were treating Webster like a replacement, even though he was a Toccoa guy who jumped into Normandy on D-Day and Holland during Market-Garden.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That's awesome man.

I've watched and re-watched BoB so many times I basically have the episodes memorized.

Bastogne and Breaking Point are TOUGH watches every time... although the part where Spears takes over in Breaking Point is one of the best moments in the whole series.  I think The Last Patrol or Replacements may be my single favorite episode.

And yeah I always through it was interesting  how in The Last Patrol where the guys were treating Webster like a replacement, even though he was a Toccoa guy who jumped into Normandy on D-Day and Holland during Market-Garden.

I've read books on the Battle of Bastogne, but that was the first time I had seen it portrayed.  It played out a little differently than I have visualized, but incredibly powerful.  Hitler sung for the fences, and these guys just held on as long as they had to.  Intense stuff.  2 more episodes, and part of me wants to wait because I don't want it to be over.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I've read books on the Battle of Bastogne, but that was the first time I had seen it portrayed.  It played out a little differently than I have visualized, but incredibly powerful.  Hitler sung for the fences, and these guys just held on as long as they had to.  Intense stuff.  2 more episodes, and part of me wants to wait because I don't want it to be over.

It's said all the time about various shows, but I truly envy you being able to watch it for the first time. 

• Like 2

I so anticipated "The Pacific", but was a little let down.  The Australian love affair and mental hospital story lines let me down.  But, I did read Eugene Sledge's book afterward and it was pretty cool.  By far, BOB was much better.

Edited by Horn_Spanker

14 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I so anticipated "The Pacific", but was a little let down.  The Australian love affair and mental hospital story lines let me down.  But, I did read Eugene Sledge's book afterward and it was pretty cool.  By far, BOB was much better.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think that "what the hell??" When spiers takes off to hook up with the other battalion is my favorite line in the entire series.

So awesome

Spiers is just fucked up in the head enough that it was believable.  War is hell.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That's awesome man.

If I remember my history from other sources - Webster didn;t jump with Easy on D-Day.  I think he was assigned to headquarters until he transferred to Easy before getting hit. 

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Spiers is just fucked up in the head enough that it was believable.  War is hell.

There are a lot of examples of soldiers doing stuff like that. In another Ambrose book he describes a soldier that basically took out something like 8-10 houses with Germans overlooking one of the beaches. He was asked why and said he couldn;t explain it. He would charge the house and kick in the door and use either grenades or his machine gun to kill the Germans and then went on to the next house - one after another

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My grandfather fought in the Pacific Theater.  I have his leave papers where he went through Australia.  They're stamped, June 6th, 1944.   Interesting to think he was finally taking a break while DDay was going on in Europe.

• Like 2

In ThIn Red Line, James Jones describes a kind of battle psychosis where otherwise normal men do really demented stuff, and also become really inured toward the wounded and dead.  Although "thin red line" is taken from a Kipling poem and used to describe the 'eroes standing between us and them, I think it was also an allusion to the line crossed into psychotic behavior.

It's a good book btw, completely butchered by Malick.  Although fiction, Jones was on Guadalcanal.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

In ThIn Red Line, James Jones describes a kind of battle psychosis where otherwise normal men do really demented stuff, and also become really inured toward the wounded and dead.  Although "thin red line" is taken from a Kipling poem and used to describe the 'eroes standing between us and them, I think it was also an allusion to the line crossed into psychotic behavior.

I didn't understand the premise of a Thin Red Line the first time I watched it.  I got kind of annoyed at the artsy stuff thinking it was going to be a full-fledged war movie.  After reading about it, I came to love the movie and have seen it multiple times.  Still recall the scene where the 2-3 guys are heading up the hill and drop within a second of each other.  The looks on the faces of those about to charge....

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Thin Red Line is, in my mind,  one of the greatest war stories ever written.  Given that Jones fought extensively at Guadalcanal, I’m not sure where the line between fiction and auto biography begin and end.

The movie is very good as well,  but very different from the book in tone and plot.  If you’ve never experienced Terrance Malick, it can be very disorienting. It’s not a traditional nuts and bolts war story by any means.  It’s kind of a crime it was released the same year as Private Ryan. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I didn't understand the premise of a Thin Red Line the first time I watched it.  I got kind of annoyed at the artsy stuff thinking it was going to be a full-fledged war movie.  After reading about it, I came to love the movie and have seen it multiple times.  Still recall the scene where the 2-3 guys are heading up the hill and drop within a second of each other.  The looks on the faces of those about to charge....

If you catch me on the right day I can be convinced it’s better than Days of Heaven and would have won a best picture in a different year. 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Thin Red Line is, in my mind,  one of the greatest war stories ever written.  Given that Jones fought extensively at Guadalcanal, I’m not sure where the line between fiction and auto biography begin and end.

The movie is very good as well,  but very different from the book in tone and plot.  If you’ve never experienced Terrance Malick, it can be very disorienting. It’s not a traditional nuts and bolts war story by any means.  It’s kind of a crime it was released the same year as Private Ryan. 

I'm not sufficiently artistic to really appreciate Malick beyond the visual, but I was expecting something truer to the book and thus was sorely disappointed.

One difference I see between BoB and The Pac is the story telling. BoB focused mainly on Easy Company, but didn't really dig into the characters. It told the battle stories, but not much insight on the individual soldier. The Pac was the opposite. It focused on 3 characters, extensive backstories and followed them home.

It's apples and oranges. Both are delicious, yet completely different.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sufficiently artistic to really appreciate Malick beyond the visual, but I was expecting something truer to the book and thus was sorely disappointed.

Malick, when he’s good ( and he hasn’t been in a while), produces visual poetry.  If you enjoyed the visual and sensory experience of the movie, then you got it.  If you want to turn it off after 20 minutes, then it failed.  There are deeper layers in his films,  but if the sensory experience doesn’t take,  who cares?

Edited by Bateshorn

May have mentioned before.  Decades back a guy that worked for me comes in on a casual Friday wearing a Curahee shirt.  Having seen the series we start talking.  I'd known he was from Baton Rouge and had family that served.

What I did not know was that Eugene Roe (Doc) was his grandfather!  Him and his wife are now both Plano Police Officers.  We still stay in touch.  What's so amazing is that each year a large majority of the actors from BOB travel back to Europe with the surviving members of Easy.  There's the deep, deep connection they have with the real life heroes they portrayed and what they went through.

Roe's grandson would tell me what his g-father would say about Bastogne, or the landings, and all the other trials and tribulations (which wasn't much).  Amazing group of men.  Winters.  Garnere.  All of them. 

He (Chris) has a book I invite everyone to check out.  It's a neat perspective having had a family member being one of these larger-than-life characters.

Doc Roe Publishing (book)

FB page

There's Chris in the middle (red) with the actor that portrayed his g-father.  

61722718_2326567884226268_57808516562833

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

so i have two boys, aged 12 and 11. we thought it was about time to watch band of brothers. it's a bit rough, but appropriate to some other stuff they've seen.

following that the asked about the pacific theater, so we naturally pivoted to the pacific.

fuck.

i had forgotten how much rougher those episodes were. i may have traumatized my sons. just a completely different way of telling the story of war, plus the pacific was far more psychotic than the european theater, because the japanese simply would not surrender and were so much more savage than the germans in combat. really wore on the marines in theater, and that's the story the pacific tells. shit, i forgot the part about the 

Spoiler

woman with the baby with explosives around her waist. and also about the part where snafu is just plinking pebbles into the blown out brainpan of a rotting body. 

so, yeah. parent of the fucking year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so i have two boys, aged 12 and 11. we thought it was about time to watch band of brothers. it's a bit rough, but appropriate to some other stuff they've seen.

following that the asked about the pacific theater, so we naturally pivoted to the pacific.

fuck.

i had forgotten how much rougher those episodes were. i may have traumatized my sons. just a completely different way of telling the story of war, plus the pacific was far more psychotic than the european theater, because the japanese simply would not surrender and were so much more savage than the germans in combat. really wore on the marines in theater, and that's the story the pacific tells. shit, i forgot the part about the 

Reveal hidden contents

woman with the baby with explosives around her waist. and also about the part where snafu is just plinking pebbles into the blown out brainpan of a rotting body. 

Maybe supplement the movies they've seen now with the books the movies are based upon.  Give some measure of context to the trials and tribulations these young men had to endure.  Read them together if needed.  The visceral aspects of these movies is intentional to give some measure of perspective of what really happened - that's the message.  

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

May have mentioned before.  Decades back a guy that worked for me comes in on a casual Friday wearing a Curahee shirt.  Having seen the series we start talking.  I'd known he was from Baton Rouge and had family that served.

What I did not know was that Eugene Roe (Doc) was his grandfather!  Him and his wife are now both Plano Police Officers.  We still stay in touch.  What's so amazing is that each year a large majority of the actors from BOB travel back to Europe with the surviving members of Easy.  There's the deep, deep connection they have with the real life heroes they portrayed and what they went through.

Roe's grandson would tell me what his g-father would say about Bastogne, or the landings, and all the other trials and tribulations (which wasn't much).  Amazing group of men.  Winters.  Garnere.  All of them. 

He (Chris) has a book I invite everyone to check out.  It's a neat perspective having had a family member being one of these larger-than-life characters.

Doc Roe Publishing (book)

FB page

There's Chris in the middle (red) with the actor that portrayed his g-father.  

61722718_2326567884226268_57808516562833

That's pretty bitchin.

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe supplement the movies they've seen now with the books the movies are based upon.  Give some measure of context to the trials and tribulations these young men had to endure.  Read them together if needed.  The visceral aspects of these movies is intentional to give some measure of perspective of what really happened - that's the message.  

I think this is a good idea.  As the child of a WWII vet, I was a war/military junkie from a young age.  But my parents put it in a perspective for me, and most of my exposure was through reading.

Of course the really explicit violence in film just didn't exist in the 70s and 80s.  However, the diorama at Gettysburg was pretty explicit and I had come to understand some of the nature of civil war battlefield injuries by the age of 10 or 11.

I think you're ok.  Better that they saw it with you than on their own.

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fuck.

Hide contents

I love the train scene back home after the war with snafu. Sledge is sleeping.  Snafu is getting off in his hometown of New Orleans.  Snafu pauses and thinks about waking Sledge up to say goodbye.   But realizes he doesn’t know what to say given all the shit those guys went through.  

That, and Sledge’s bird hunting scene with his dad.   

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fuck.

i had forgotten how much rougher those episodes were. i may have traumatized my sons.

So which son is now known as Peaches?

On 10/6/2019 at 11:39 PM, Brisketexan said:

I’m about halfway through watching it with my 16 yr old son (I’ve seen it several times). He read the book this year. I think it’s an important thing for us to watch together.

And at the end, the final piece of dialogue with Winters, he’ll see his old man cry. I cry every damned time.

“No. But I served in a company of heroes.”

Every. Damned. Time.

Yep. This.  I can’t watch the last episode , even during the action, without thinking about the dialogue at the end.  Then the dialogue comes and I cry just like I have every other time watching it.  Damn 

I think I told this story on TOS, but this is a good thread for it.  So I watched BoB with my girlfriend at the time.  We had talked about maybe getting married and such, but she decided she wanted to move to DC for a bit.  She calls me one day on July 4th crying like a baby.  She was working at McCormick & Schmicks on the weekends while working for a Liqour/wine distributor as her main occupation.   Well, just so happens that the party of 40 or so she is waiting on were the men (and their ladies) of fucking Easy Company.   She has a pic somewhere of her with all the guys.  She told them how we had watched the series 3 times through and how we had laughed and cried together watching it.   They were shocked she recognized their names.  I was happily crying that she had the opportunity and sad that I wasn’t there to witness it with her.  She said the gents were as funny as they were portrayed, shared the stories we had seen told onscreen, and took shots for the men left behind and passed on.  Id say I was jealous, but I guess I succeeded in making a woman who couldn’t give two shits about stuff like that before be completely moved by how awing it is to be in their presence.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think I told this story on TOS, but this is a good thread for it.  So I watched BoB with my girlfriend at the time.  We had talked about maybe getting married and such, but she decided she wanted to move to DC for a bit.  She calls me one day on July 4th crying like a baby.  She was working at McCormick & Schmicks on the weekends while working for a Liqour/wine distributor as her main occupation.   Well, just so happens that the party of 40 or so she is waiting on were the men (and their ladies) of fucking Easy Company.   She has a pic somewhere of her with all the guys.  She told them how we had watched the series 3 times through and how we had laughed and cried together watching it.   They were shocked she recognized their names.  I was happily crying that she had the opportunity and sad that I wasn’t there to witness it with her.  She said the gents were as funny as they were portrayed, shared the stories we had seen told onscreen, and took shots for the men left behind and passed on.  Id say I was jealous, but I guess I succeeded in making a woman who couldn’t give two shits about stuff like that before be completely moved by how awing it is to be in their presence.    

Fuck yeah.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:21 PM, AUinHsv said:

If I remember my history from other sources - Webster didn;t jump with Easy on D-Day.  I think he was assigned to headquarters until he transferred to Easy before getting hit. 

Correct.  Webster trained with Fox at Toccoa, jumped on 6June1944 with HQ, then transferred to Easy while in Normandy IIRC.  He also wrote an autobiography "Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich" that is a very good read, and I'd say a must-read for any fan of the BoB (and really, any student of WWII).  

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Correct.  Webster trained with Fox at Toccoa, jumped on 6June1944 with HQ, then transferred to Easy while in Normandy IIRC.  He also wrote an autobiography "Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich" that is a very good read, and I'd say a must-read for any fan of the BoB (and really, any student of WWII).  

Cool thanks for the info.

Still was interesting that they treated him as a replacement in The Last Patrol when he had been at least in the Regiment since Toccoa.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

For those that are down on Ambrose - he read the manuscript in the 90's and said this absolutely needs to be published and then set that up.

5 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

Speaking of Webster, one of my favorite scenes is when he yells at the Germans marching west. Say hello to Ford and General fucking Motors. What were you thinking?

What were you thinking could be applied to Japan also. After the war the US interviewed the Japanese Army and Navy commanders and discovered that Japan really did not have much of an end game after Pearl Harbor. They had the huge misconception that the US would just sign some sort of peace treaty. If you are going to start a war you better have figured out what to do after the first shot.

Edited by AUinHsv

Apple is getting the Band of Brothers and Pacific crew back together for the 8th Air Force series.  

spacer.png

All of the producers behind both Brothers and Pacific are slated to return for the new installment. Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman and Steven Spielberg will exec produce for Hanks and Goetzman’s Playtone and the latter’s Amblin Television, respectively. Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey will co-exec produce alongside Playtnoe’s Steven Shareshian.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, DCA_HORN said:

Yeah they thought they could punch us in the mouth and we would fold. They also underestimated our manufacturing capabilities and how we would get the Pacific fleet back in order so quickly.

We were just a bunch of round eye, Gai Jin, weak, savages to them. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

We were.  We just benefited from a really big ocean on our Western Flank that gave us enough time to build the most lethal Naval force ever conceived.  From there, we were able to deliver more gross tonnage of bombing over an aggregate area not much larger than Tennessee (if you put together the tiny islands, plus Okinawa, Iwo Jima, and a few tiny strategic areas of mainland Japan) than was dropped over entire continents . 

That, and 6 divisions of the baddest Marines to ever walk on water.