Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

• 3 weeks later...

God bless your rainbow baby, we have one ourself. 

That your's was born on the Solstice right after a Full Moon at good size and health...that's not nuthin'.  

That thing you're feeling right now...it changes, it morphs, it goes up, it goes down, it swamps you, it elevates you, it makes you better.  But it never, ever...goes away.  

Edited by Lobo

58 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Well, I’m a dad now. 12/21 at 0122 hours in Austin, 7 lb 4 oz baby girl. Rainbow baby on the winter solstice. Even after a couple of days I still have to pinch myself but it’s amazing how well she fits into our lives.

Im about to be 41 and my son is about to be a year old and my wife and I still look at each other and say we cannot believe we are doing this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Well, I’m a dad now. 12/21 at 0122 hours in Austin, 7 lb 4 oz baby girl. Rainbow baby on the winter solstice. Even after a couple of days I still have to pinch myself but it’s amazing how well she fits into our lives.

Congrats. Baby girls are the greatest thing in the world. All the best to you and your family🤘❤️

• Hook 'Em 2

Got both kids home and under our roof, from two different countries. It’s nice. Really nice.

Because we’ve realized that we’ve entered the phase of our lives where, when our kids come here, it’s to visit - their homes are becoming elsewhere. It’s good - we’re liking the empty nest. But it’s also weird, and sometimes wistful.

We like our adult kids, and we’re lucky in that regard. So, glad to have their company for the next coupla weeks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

i kinda hope we have a boy next round, just for the completeness of life experience, but man I love having a little girl.

One tip I got from my sister that I was definitely screwing up the first 7 months - with the baby bjorn or ergo baby or whatever, tighten up the part that goes around your waist pretty good, it takes the weight off your upper back/shoulders.

Merry Christmas surly dads

62AE6AC8-2D7F-4341-BD8A-C34BBC045FCE.thumb.jpeg.9ff6c21377706ff862bc3391b482cdcc.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Good luck to all the Santas staying up late tonight to put shit together for tomorrow morning. Our Santa has to put together a bike and a gaming chair. 

Bike for me as well. This is after being up late af last night cleaning and wrapping. At least Xmas meal will be simple. Spaghetti and meatballs, big ass salad, garlic bread and chocolate cakeeeee

regular show GIF

Christmas hits a little different when the kids don’t believe in Santa. This is the first one in 11 years or so I haven’t had to do it. To be honest, I’m more than a little sad. I was afraid last year would be the last, so I went a little more overboard for my son that I normally would have.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Good luck to all the Santas staying up late tonight to put shit together for tomorrow morning. Our Santa has to put together a bike and a gaming chair. 

The Office Thank You GIF

I'm going to be unwrapping Our Generation stuff from Target (their American Girl knockoff) and that fucking plastic is a nightmare.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Christmas hits a little different when the kids don’t believe in Santa. This is the first one in 11 years or so I haven’t had to do it. To be honest, I’m more than a little sad. I was afraid last year would be the last, so I went a little more overboard for my son that I normally would have.

The younger one is also 11 and still believes. Shocked she hasn’t had it ruined by classmates but she also knows to not let a good thing slip away. She was excited that Santa got her bike the right color she wanted.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Office Thank You GIF

I'm going to be unwrapping Our Generation stuff from Target (their American Girl knockoff) and that fucking plastic is a nightmare.

I am very thankful we’re at least out of the toy phase. I still have nightmares of the Playmobil school I put together one year till 4 am in the freezing cold of our laundry room. 

4 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

The look on his face was like Ralphie opening the red rider bb gun.

You can get Red Ryder BB guns at Walmart for $30.  Cheaper than the Quest VR as well.  And a helluva lot more exciting.

edit: I'm having a hard time deciding if the quality of the ones you can buy these days is better or worse than my dad's.

My 9 year-old doesn't know the difference, or doesn't care, but the newer Red Ryders feel more...lightweight than my dad's from the 1950s, but the manufacturing is definitely better.  I bet there's a YouTube video doing tear-downs of a 2020s vs 1950s Red Ryder or whatever.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 12/25/2021 at 10:27 AM, mdmost said:

I am very thankful we’re at least out of the toy phase. 

Calico Critters (Sylvanian Families outside of the US) became the go-to thing for my relatives buying for our youngest, because she has all the little Bluey toys.

So once again, she's on a Calico Critter kick, which means all of these little accessories all over the floor.

Most of these are smaller than your finger nail:

716LruY3qZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like beer glasses that blend into carpet:

2134.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

The picnic things on the blanket in the lower left, again, smaller than your fingernails.

2578.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Second place only to the sewn up bag containing crinkly paper in the bang/buck toy championship is the fisher price ring stacking toy. However, I did not anticipate the amount of time I would spend looking for and stacking rings.

I got to where I could just see the colors and knew the sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this in a text first thing this morning.  Doesn't get me teary eyed, but it does hit in the feels.  Raised our boys on the right goofy movies.

Have been getting it since my oldest boy would start each semester about Junior year in HS, one year of prep school, 4 years of college, a couple years off for deployment in the Army; and finally  the last 2 years of grad school in Georgia Tech.

I LOLed this weekend when he informed me his future employer was already encouraging him to consider getting his MBA.  I told him he's going to be in school forever.  Keep posting that puppy!!!

Edited by slorch

I’m here to preach that balance bikes do apparently work. My wife got one for my son when he was 2. He is 4.5 now, and Santa got him a Woom pedal bike (we jumped over the training wheels). In less than 5 minutes the kid was riding around the culdesac, and in an hour he could scoot, hop on, and take off without help. I was shocked and proud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...