Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Unless the windows were rolled up and they were duct taped, this is bullshit. It's not his fault he poor and has no a/c. There's no mention of harm to the kids other than they were sleeping "or passed out" a/k/a sleeping. It's hot, you got 6 kids sleeping, you go in the house, you go to jail. I hope he gets decent council. I grew up riding in the back window of  cars without a/c and parents smoking unfiltered Camels with the windows rolled up.

Father arrested for leaving 5 kids in car without air conditioning

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - A Fort Worth father was arrested for allegedly leaving his five children in a parked car with the engine running, but without air conditioning on Aug. 7. 

Officers said they found Jose Leal, 29, at 8 p.m. in the yard of a home at 3500 block of Littlejohn Ave. They also found the five children, ages 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 in the car nearby. 

Several children were either sleeping or passed out when officers pulled them from the car. They immediately placed them inside air conditioned squad cars. 

Temperatures topped out at 99 degrees on Sunday. Police didn't say how long the children were left alone inside the car. 

Leal faces five counts of abandonment/endangerment to a child/bodily injury and was transported to jail.

• 1 month later...

Oh how life comes at you fast as a parent:

7YO was kinda lethargic yesterday. Not her normal self. Wanted to take a nap which is unheard of.Tired. Slept for 12 hrs last night.

4YO has impetigo on his side so take him to the walk in before noon today to get antibiotics…7 yo starts coughing and bam…pukes in my wife’s hand, her sweatshirt…and on the floor of the clinic. She didn’t mention once about wanting to throw up because it’s “embarrassing”

Hopefully both cases are corralled here in day or 2.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

Damn.  Sick kids are no fun.  Breaks your heart as a parent.

we are lucky so far that baby isn't sick more than a day or two. she gets sick for like two days, gets over it...meanwhile wife and i get it and just puts us down for the count.

hoping at some point this stops happening lol good news, our immune system will eventually get strong i hope haha

Younger one decided she wanted to play volleyball so we signed her up for a YMCA team. She was really nervous leading up to her first practice. She landed with a great coach who is exactly what she needed. She loves volleyball now. She asks me every day to go outside and practice with her and gets mad when we run out of time to do it. I think she now wants to get better because she feels she's letting the team down. They won their first game but it's cool to see her getting really into sports again. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ain't no immunity from lice.  Been running rampant through our 2nd grader's school the past 1-2 weeks.  First day of warning, wife goes through the 'no hugging other kids, no sharing of sweaters/coats (some of them wear them inside with A/C cranking), etc.'  Well a week later she gets it.  But was so good about not contacting/sharing with other kids. 

Wife finds out this past weekend, after a week of boiling/freezing everything and covering up everywherre she sits so her little sister and us don't get it...there's a girl in 2nd grade who has had lice four times between summer and start of school year.  Not my girl's classroom.  But after lunch, they flip classrooms and she o=goes from all Spanish to all English.  So while it's not technically her homeroom, guess whose chair she sit in in the afternoon?  Patient Zero's.  Fuck.  Come the fuck on, your kids gets lice four times in four months...you need to re-examine your lifestyle.  

Also frustrated as hell---we're very affectionate with them...lotsa hugs and pickups to spin around and cuddling to watch movies.  It's tough having to go over a week with a high-five before school being your sole point of connection with your kids.  maybe that's why my dad didn't hug me growing up, I had lice for 17 appears apparently.  

• Like 1

We once had a lice outbreak with our two kids when they were younger, right before we were going to Disneyland for a long weekend. Kids went to a Montessori school so it spreads like wildfire around there as the kids are all up in each other's space. One of the things Covid helped out a bit with. We rushed them to a place called Hair Fairies which was really expensive lice removal for all of us but so very worth it. I think it was about $500 for all of us as the wife and I also got checked out. We then started having the kids use a shampoo and conditioner from that place which we only recently stopped using since they both no longer go to that school. And thanks a lot because now my head feels itchy. 

Whenever my wife "hears" me scratching my head, she comes running into the room with one of those lice combs.  She doesn't like any heavy chemicals on the kids, but I told her maybe for the older one---we gotta try something beyond the homeopathic coconut oil/olive oil concoction that has been doing a pretty good job but 2nd grader still has an egg every now and again.  Little one's hair is too brittle and thin for anything like that.  But we can't live like this anymore.  Half my garage freezer is clothes we haven't gotten around to washing yet.  

What was the shampoo called you brought from Hair Fairies?    

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Whenever my wife "hears" me scratching my head, she comes running into the room with one of those lice combs.  She doesn't like any heavy chemicals on the kids, but I told her maybe for the older one---we gotta try something beyond the homeopathic coconut oil/olive oil concoction that has been doing a pretty good job but 2nd grader still has an egg every now and again.  Little one's hair is too brittle and thin for anything like that.  But we can't live like this anymore.  Half my garage freezer is clothes we haven't gotten around to washing yet.  

What was the shampoo called you brought from Hair Fairies?    

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8OU8QK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00J8OU8QK&pd_rd_w=nb0lJ&content-id=amzn1.sym.4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_p=4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_r=BZ4HSW0TK0YGYKB5E860&pd_rd_wg=iNzal&pd_rd_r=31bee998-5618-45a7-9f9f-4af96da7a427&s=beauty&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTlI2WllHWExLN0hUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDg3OTMwU0hXQjA2VzI5NjRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MTU0OTEyN0hBU1lZUDZONlZZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Like 1

This^  You wanna get a video of them taking a few steps to send to grandparents?  NAH!  10-month old suddenly stumbles like a drunk Danny Devito in slow-motion, on 'ludes.  But the second you turn your back while taking a leak...they're four rooms away rummaging through the knife drawer and somebody know to hide when they hear the toilet flush.  You know...to try and give you a heart-atack. 

• Haha 1

Damn.  Sick kids are no fun.  Breaks your heart as a parent.

It’s the worst. Update 7YOs ear drum bursted last night right when she went to bed so that’s a first. So that explains a lot of the nausea she had the last few days.

Yay more antibiotics. 3 out of the 4 of us are on them, lol. Wife had a molar pulled 10 days ago

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Younger one decided she wanted to play volleyball so we signed her up for a YMCA team. She was really nervous leading up to her first practice. She landed with a great coach who is exactly what she needed. She loves volleyball now. She asks me every day to go outside and practice with her and gets mad when we run out of time to do it. I think she now wants to get better because she feels she's letting the team down. They won their first game but it's cool to see her getting really into sports again. 

You need to get her to a UT women’s volleyball game while they are ranked #1 (hope I didn’t jinx things, I haven’t looked in the past week)

20 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I caught a paw patrol car thingy right in the nuts the other day from our toddler. It hurt like hell and she laughed and laughed. 

Thankfully, my oldest is past that shit and my youngest dooesn't seem very interested in the $1000 I spent on that crap so I can quietly donate it to goodwill.  But there was a time, where i wanted to send those shitheads to North korea to be cooked and eaten...and yes I am well aware they're just toys that can't actually be eaten.  But I still would have spend $75 in shipping to Pyongyang just for peace of mind.

I thought I had testicular cancer or something - this really unsettling pain, one of them a bit swollen maybe, just uncomfortable to even adjust. Then I realized it’s because toddler baby keeps stepping on my balls.
I told my wife I'm going to wait until my son is 16, then I'm going to kick him square in the nuts and tell him, "Payback's a bitch, huh?"

I had forgotten about these when the pandemic hit, but Home Depot brought them back earlier this summer - Kids Workshops where they get to make wood projects for free

https://www.homedepot.com/c/kids

First Saturday of each month, 9am-12pm or until they run out.

This months, was hoping for a Halloween one, but maybe surplus from an earlier month, but next month is a fall themed one, and then a Christmas ornament in December. 
460x368-KW-FireRescueBoat-08252022.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@royiv  I figured we would continue our discussion here. As @Steven Avery @JesusSweatDuck and @Gardner Barnes as well as others who have girls who either play volleyball in high school or college will tell you, if you are even at a mediocre high school and your kid doesn't have club experience, they won't make the team. You can't just wing it on raw talent alone. You need training. As @Steven Avery knows, there are quite a few kids at my daughter's school who play club and still didn't make the team. My daughter in particular is 5'10, 14 years old, and doesn't turn 15 until next summer. Last year in middle school she was the 5th highest leaper at her club, even amongst the high school girls. She clocked upper 40's on her spike speed at 13, and has played on top teams since 7th grade. She is on the AVCA phenom watchlist as is @Steven Avery's kid, who plays for one of the best clubs in the state.

So we would be doing a disservice to our kids if we didn't let them see this vball thing through. We are headed to the Tour of Texas 1&2 in Dallas and Austin, the Triple Crown which is invitation only for the 100 best clubs in the country(there are 5000 clubs across the US), Red Rock national qualifier in Vegas, Pacific NW national qualifier in Spokane, Lone Star national qualifier in Dallas, Far Western national qualifier in Reno, and USAV Nationals in Chicago. That's, hotels, traveling expenses, and food for 3 people for 8 away tournaments. But......it's what you have to do if you want your kid to develop, because iron sharpens iron. We don't like the system but it's the system we have. There are 4008 D1 scholarship'd players out there and this is how they all got there. There is no magic elixir. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

@royiv  I figured we would continue our discussion here. As @Steven Avery @JesusSweatDuck and @Gardner Barnes as well as others who have girls who either play volleyball in high school or college will tell you, if you are even at a mediocre high school and your kid doesn't have club experience, they won't make the team. You can't just wing it on raw talent alone. You need training. As @Steven Avery knows, there are quite a few kids at my daughter's school who play club and still didn't make the team. My daughter in particular is 5'10, 14 years old, and doesn't turn 15 until next summer. Last year in middle school she was the 5th highest leaper at her club, even amongst the high school girls. She clocked upper 40's on her spike speed at 13, and has played on top teams since 7th grade. She is on the AVCA phenom watchlist as is @Steven Avery's kid, who plays for one of the best clubs in the state.

So we would be doing a disservice to our kids if we didn't let them see this vball thing through. We are headed to the Tour of Texas 1&2 in Dallas and Austin, the Triple Crown which is invitation only for the 100 best clubs in the country(there are 5000 clubs across the US), Red Rock national qualifier in Vegas, Pacific NW national qualifier in Spokane, Lone Star national qualifier in Dallas, Far Western national qualifier in Reno, and USAV Nationals in Chicago. That's, hotels, traveling expenses, and food for 3 people for 8 away tournaments. But......it's what you have to do if you want your kid to develop, because iron sharpens iron. We don't like the system but it's the system we have. There are 4008 D1 scholarship'd players out there and this is how they all got there. There is no magic elixir. 

My daughter dropped club this year in favor of full time sand as she enjoys the dynamics of the sport more.  You're right that making even middling high school teams require playing outside of school and club volleyball can be very expensive 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I had forgotten about these when the pandemic hit, but Home Depot brought them back earlier this summer - Kids Workshops where they get to make wood projects for free

https://www.homedepot.com/c/kids

First Saturday of each month, 9am-12pm or until they run out.

This months, was hoping for a Halloween one, but maybe surplus from an earlier month, but next month is a fall themed one, and then a Christmas ornament in December. 
460x368-KW-FireRescueBoat-08252022.jpg

I'm getting these for my kids, thx

34 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

4 month sleep regression is fun. Any thoughts on transitioning from the Snoo to a crib at this stage, since it's going to be miserable either way?

we waited until a little before 6 mo to transition and won't be doing that with next kiddo. if baby is rolling over, just make the switch in my eyes and handle the fallout.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last night was night one. Putting him down in the crib was actually not an issue, but he was up every couple hours and really struggled to go back to sleep after waking up at 4. Hasn't been too much worse than the snoo this last week though. He did somehow flip himself onto his stomach, perpendicular to the long axis of the crib, with his legs through the slats.

Last night was night one. Putting him down in the crib was actually not an issue, but he was up every couple hours and really struggled to go back to sleep after waking up at 4. Hasn't been too much worse than the snoo this last week though. He did somehow flip himself onto his stomach, perpendicular to the long axis of the crib, with his legs through the slats.

Those nights are all a blur for me with both kids. All I have to tell you is it’ll get better,then getting 4-5 hrs of uninterrupted sleep will feel like a million bucks.

I’m quite sure there’s a sleep regression for every month if you Google it. Enjoy the times. It’s sucks when the kid starts sitting on the rail and climbing over it. All freedoms out the door at that point
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I know that in elementary school, they prefer kids use the proper terms, but prefer they say something like “the ball hit me in my private parts” instead of “the ball hit me in my penis”, but they shouldn’t be offended if my kid says “the ball hit me in my schlong” instead of “hit me in the private parts” or “hit me in the penis”.

Season 9 Waiting GIF by The Office

15 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

with his legs through the slats.

order something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-Classic-Breathable-Mesh-Liner/dp/B0013FGWD0

it solved our slat issue. that is just the one w/ the most amazon reviews - they are all basically the same in that style...i'm sure you can pick one up locally if you are in a big town.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Holy cow, that was my youngest one in a nutshell.  Even in a mild swaddle, she could houdini out of it, get perpendicular and have both legs in the slats within minutes.  Don't wanna freak you out but she actually got one leg so stuck in there...we couldn't get it out.  She was conked out and we didn't wanna wake her but shimmy-sham or cocoa butter or whatever.  So while my wife was across the house googling solutions, I ran ice cubes up and down her shin/calf.  The cold contracted her skin and I just poked it back into the crib and swaddled her back up.  Wife thought I was a big hero but didn't know how I did it.  

to this day (3.5yo)...she's a good sleeper once she gets to bed finally.  However, if she spills water on herself while playing or eating, she completely breaks down and cries.  I take credit for both.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/10/2022 at 7:08 PM, Thatguy said:

Absolutely 100%, if volleyball is what your kid wants to do you have to do the club deal even to make the jr high school at most of these schools now.  Its expensive but fun lots of memories to be made. I came from travel baseball and volleyball has become very similar. You don't show up in 7th or 9th grade to make the baseball team or volleyball team, you have been better playing some high level ball if you are a real sports school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

sanity check on tantrums at 18 months. I'm of course doing some reading from people who are actually qualified/etc but wanted to gauge y'all's experience as well (as my wife is wondering out loud if this is "normal"). 18 month old toddler is having some fairly sizable meltdowns - she wants a snack from the pantry but it's not time for a snack, that's a meltdown. I just heard a fuck ton of screaming and wailing from downstairs which apparently was because my wife wouldn't let her run into the pond or run across the street. Just, that kind of stuff leading to end of the world meltdowns - this is normal and to be expected from a new human experiencing big emotions for the first time yeah?

• Like 1

It’s completely normal.  Maybe a tad on the early side but your mileage may vary.  You can do what I did.  Let them figure out to get appropriate snacks at appropriate heights in their own.  And while they’re still whining and screaming, remind them that in 1942 Netherlands, they’ve just given away our position and have gotten us all rounded up for liquidation.  Hope you enjoy the protein bar asshole!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

sanity check on tantrums at 18 months. I'm of course doing some reading from people who are actually qualified/etc but wanted to gauge y'all's experience as well (as my wife is wondering out loud if this is "normal"). 18 month old toddler is having some fairly sizable meltdowns - she wants a snack from the pantry but it's not time for a snack, that's a meltdown. I just heard a fuck ton of screaming and wailing from downstairs which apparently was because my wife wouldn't let her run into the pond or run across the street. Just, that kind of stuff leading to end of the world meltdowns - this is normal and to be expected from a new human experiencing big emotions for the first time yeah?

Perfectly normal. Sadly you beat it by teaching them the meltdown isn't going to win them anything. If you fold they have learned it works. Keep the faith and hold the line. Meltdowns we beat easily. Not letting her sleep in our bed was a struggle because my wife was a softy. 

Oldest girl is a senior '23 and younger girl is a freshman. 

I'm enjoying it quite a bit now as most of their issues are grown up woman type issues which mom handles and I'm the emergency break glass guy. They're also both butting heads with the wife and frustrating her as teenage girls are designed to do to their mothers. 

Which is great for me to sit back and watch this grown woman get to finally experience what it's like having to deal with women's bullshit on a level somewhat approaching what we men have to deal with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...