Texas Special Teams

Neonmoon

That was a pretty perfect onside kick.
ST were otherwise terrible other than Dicker. It’s mind mind bottling that DD kept thinking he was gonna do better than just taking the ball at the 25. Series after series choosing to start backed up against your own end zone while the other team starts between the 40s. On a day when the offense played like they were giving the defense the plays before the snap you don’t have a chance starting in a hole.

• Like 1

I didn't say the result was perfect.  You want a kick that goes the required 10 yards and bounces and kicks up into the air giving your guys a chance to field the ball.  In both cases we had as good or better of a chance at getting to the ball than they did.  That it didn't happen wasn't Dicker's fault.  

15 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I didn't say the result was perfect.  You want a kick that goes the required 10 yards and bounces and kicks up into the air giving your guys a chance to field the ball.  In both cases we had as good or better of a chance at getting to the ball than they did.  That it didn't happen wasn't Dicker's fault.  

Except both times it got out of bounds faster than we could have possibly got downfield to recover it.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Except both times it got out of bounds faster than we could have possibly got downfield to recover it.

Eagles was loafing down the sideline like he wasn’t even looking for it. Johnson almost fielded it like a third baseman or whatever.  I think Johnson might’ve had this one if he was still in the game. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 10/12/2019 at 1:45 PM, SKA the boss said:

It’s miraculous this is a 10 point game when we start inside our 15 every drive and they are only playing on half a field.
We’re not smart.

Texas drives after punts/kickoffs started at:

• Texas 32
  • Texas 34 (holding bumped this back to the 24)
  • Texas 21 
  • (start of 2nd half) Texas 13
  • Texas 7 - punt downed
  • Texas 6 - think this was when he did the fair catch/drop
  • Texas 16
  • Texas 25 - touchback

makes it tough to win when you start that many drives in a hole. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Texas drives after punts/kickoffs started at:

• Texas 32
  • Texas 34 (holding bumped this back to the 24)
  • Texas 21 
  • (start of 2nd half) Texas 13
  • Texas 7 - punt downed
  • Texas 6 - think this was when he did the fair catch/drop
  • Texas 16
  • Texas 25 - touchback

makes it tough to win when you start that many drives in a hole. 

Yep. Herman’s been really cagey about who has responsibility for what on ST, but I think Warehime is at least named the coach over ST. If that’s accurate, it’s just another reason he needs to go. 

Simple decisions, like when to catch and when to let go have been getting screwed up constantly all season by multiple players. It’s just bad coaching.

Just now, joeycovers said:

Certain situations like in the Ok St game we shouldn't even have a player back returning a punt. Fielding it does us absolutely nothing. 

The DD mistakes do not even make sense. NO clue what the guy was doing. 

We've reached the point where they need to find somebody sure handed, who understands the when to catch/fair catch rules.  Even if it's a 4th string WR.  The quality of the return is now irrelevant because we keep blowing our toe off with muffs and basic logic fuck ups.

2 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

In endzone,  It seems like our punter and punt coverage were abysmal on a clockwork like basis.  Anybody watching at home or who paid more than 400 ticket confirm?

Our punter is the worst punter we've had in 20 years.  Pluck any random player off of the Soccer team and she'd be better.  If he didn't share DNA with Michael Dickson, he'd be cleaning out kangaroo turds out of someone's outback yard.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, Neonmoon said:

STOP RETURNING IT YOU DUMBFUCKS

JFC, this.

13 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

What gets me is Duvernay kept doing this repeatedly. Where are the coaches? 

Someone should have been in his facemask after the first one. 

And he should have been replaced after the second one.

Abysmal coaching is abysmal. Just put someone back there who can wave their hand and then catch the fucking ball. How hard is it? I could do that, and I still have eligibility. Fuck, 90% of a high school football team could do that.

Its quite possible our kick off return game (or the lack thereof I should say), cost us this game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

And he should have been replaced after the second one.

Abysmal coaching is abysmal. Just put someone back there who can wave their hand and then catch the fucking ball. How hard is it? I could do that, and I still have eligibility. Fuck, 90% of a high school football team could do that.

I don't get the loyalty/trust in DD as a returner.  Jake Smith muffed one punt and he was instantly placed in the witness protection program.  DD muffed a kickoff, "saved" a kick off from going out of bounds (at least the second time he's done that), and made a couple other major mistakes, and there's supposedly no one else on the roster that could do better than him.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

I don't get the loyalty/trust in DD as a returner.  Jake Smith muffed one punt and he was instantly placed in the witness protection program.  DD muffed a kickoff, "saved" a kick off from going out of bounds (at least the second time he's done that), and made a couple other major mistakes, and there's supposedly no one else on the roster that could do better than him.

This shit here. Smith should still be the guy. He made a mistake. But as a freshman he’s smarter back there than Jones.

• Like 1

Not so Special Teams damn near cost us the Ok state game. VS OU , Hubris got the best of DD on those kickoffs. I love that Herman trusts him, but DD should have better self awareness in several of those KO reruns. Herman basically said as much today at noon 

Edited by jdhorn92

On 10/14/2019 at 12:33 AM, Fuck Tim Beck said:

What gets me is Duvernay kept doing this repeatedly. Where are the coaches? 

Someone should have been in his facemask after the first one. 

They were grasping in hope at vapors. Fuck the coaches this game. 

Major improvement regarding fielding kickoffs in the 2nd half today vs all game last week. There were some stupid attempts to run the ball out, but in the 4th quarter especially, TWICE we let the shitty kickoff go out of bounds without touching it. 

HOW FUCKING NOVEL!

Also liked the blocked PAT return for 2. Thought it was strange that after sprinting nearly the entire length of the field, Jamison was then sent in to return the kickoff. There was no one on the entire roster more winded than Jamison and yet he was sent out to sprint against rested players. Fortunately it was a shitty kick that went out of bounds. 

Aussie punter actually didn’t look like JV punter in the 2nd half. He has not made the 2nd year jump that Dickson did. 

All-in-all, improved over last week’s shitfest. 

The issues are far far beyond the players.
There are so many fuck ups that it is a full overhaul with, hmm, I dunno a coach with a fucking clue.
I'll give one dollar to the first person that can, without looking it up, name the last time we blocked a punt or field goal.
Now, name the last season we accomplished both.
I'll hang up and listen.

Last night for a blocked PAT. Donate my dollar to the site.

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

What’s the standard for shockingly well?  I counted 3+ complete failures in ST.  I guess that plus the blocked XP for a safety is supposed to impress me?

Yeah. I’d say the blocked FG, blocked xp returned for two and game winning  FG would be considered shockingly well after this last year.  Anyone of those not happen and we lose this game. 

Edited by Xian
  • Like 1