Best Margarita Recipe

Nonbryan

Use fortaleza blanco still strength. Best blanco on the planet. Anyone that suggests anything else is a fucking idiot. Its not cheap tho... bout $50-$60 a bottle

use agave nectar instead of triple sec. i suggest agave in the raw from Kroger/HEB.

use BOTH Key and Persian limes. Both. Do not compromise. This is the secret. They taste vastly different but both are excellent.

2 oz fortaleza blanco (fuck using a repo or anejo.. they are shit)

0.5 oz agave nectar

0.5 oz key lime juice

0.5 oz persian lime juice

Youre welcome for the best homemade margarita youve ever had. Dont listen to anyone else, this recipe is the best. Ive maybe spent $5-10k on tequila over the past decade... all while trying to perfect this recipe. Well here it is

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Use fortaleza blanco still strength. Best blanco on the planet. Anyone that suggests anything else is a fucking idiot. Its not cheap tho... bout $50-$60 a bottle

use agave nectar instead of triple sec. i suggest agave in the raw from Kroger/HEB.

use BOTH Key and Persian limes. Both. Do not compromise. This is the secret. They taste vastly different but both are excellent.

0.5 oz agave nectar

0.5 oz key lime juice

Youre welcome for the best homemade margarita youve ever had. Dont listen to anyone else, this recipe is the best. Ive maybe spent $5-10k on tequila over the past decade... all while trying to perfect this recipe. Well here it is

That’s not a margarita.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

0.5 oz agave nectar

0.5 oz key lime juice

10 hours ago, futureman said:

OP, first thing you wanna do is get a bottle of casa dragones blanco.  it’s the best blanco on the planet.  anyone who says different was dropped on their head as a child and fed bleach from the bottle.  I’m talking hardcore, extreme stupidity.  but it’s not cheap, bout $75 a bottle.  

use triple sec instead of agave nectar, which is what retards use.

feel free to compromise on the limes.  key or persian, whatever, it doesn’t really matter.  

2 oz casa dragones (fuck using a repo or anejo.. they are shit)

0.5 oz triple sec

1 oz lime juice

you’re welcome for the best homemade margarita youve ever had.  don’t listen to anyone else, this recipe is the best, and anyone who says different is probably aggy.  I’ve maybe spent $5-10k on tequila over the past decade... all while trying to perfect this recipe.  well here it is

46 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

That’s not a margarita.

Now I'm torn.  This is all pretty compelling.  Are any of you guys even a real Mexican?

13 hours ago, futureman said:

OP, first thing you wanna do is get a bottle of casa dragones blanco.  it’s the best blanco on the planet.  anyone who says different was dropped on their head as a child and fed bleach from the bottle.  I’m talking hardcore, extreme stupidity.  but it’s not cheap, bout $75 a bottle.  

use triple sec instead of agave nectar, which is what retards use.

feel free to compromise on the limes.  key or persian, whatever, it doesn’t really matter.  

2 oz casa dragones (fuck using a repo or anejo.. they are shit)

0.5 oz triple sec

1 oz lime juice

you’re welcome for the best homemade margarita youve ever had.  don’t listen to anyone else, this recipe is the best, and anyone who says different is probably aggy.  I’ve maybe spent $5-10k on tequila over the past decade... all while trying to perfect this recipe.  well here it is

Best fucking thing you've ever posted. It's an extremely low bar I know but genuine lulz. 

Best is whatever the fuck Gloria's does on their casa Noble meltdown. That shit is delicious and strong as fuck. 

It's all about personal taste. About the closest thing you get to a constant is to use blanco tequila because you want the strong unrested flavors of the agave to shine through with the strong flavor of lime. The other types are too mellow and you get the lime overpowering the flavor. 

2 oz 100% agave tequila
2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
2 oz triple sec, Cointreau, or grand marnier

Shake with ice. Serve on the rocks. Top shelf tequila for a margarita is a waste. Lime kills any nuance you might get from good tequila. Like using Pappy for an old fashioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

2 oz 100% agave tequila

Shake with ice. Serve on the rocks. Top shelf tequila for a margarita is a waste. Lime kills any nuance you might get from good tequila. Like using Pappy for an old fashioned.

Pappy in an old fashioned?!? That's blasphemous. It should only be mixed with Diet Coke.

The quality of the triple sec is far more important than the quality of the tequila. Hell, use Oso tequila from the bathtub distillery in Laredo, for all the difference it would make. The citrus is far more significant than the agave. Spending more on tequila immediately marks you as a pretentious loser who doesn't actually know what the fuck he is talking about.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Autocorrect clearly drinks Don Julio

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

2 oz 100% agave tequila

Pappy makes a damn good OF, you just wouldn't do it because it's too rare and too expensive. Given that good tequila won't require a stakeout, I'd say go for it. 

El Tesoro Blanco and Cointreau is my go-to for margs.

Edited by Eggo

Here is the frozen margarita recipe from Nasty’s during my bartending days in the mid-to-late 90s. 

5 gallon plastic container: 

* 4  750ml bottles of the very cheapest tequila - El Horrible or something 

* 1 750ml bottle of really bad (and cheap) Triple Sec 

* 1 big bag of dry lime flavored stuff with sugar.  Like cool aid 

* 1 big bag of lemon cool aid stuff

* fill the rest of the container with tap water and stir 

Poor that shit into the three frozen margarita machines and then make 3 more 5 gallon batches for all you thirsty drunk fuckers. 

Almost forgot...  when serving a pitcher of rita pour a huge shot of everclear on top. 

boom 

• Like 3

On 10/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, NAVY said:

Here is the frozen margarita recipe from Nasty’s during my bartending days in the mid-to-late 90s. 

Poor that shit into the three frozen margarita machines and then make 3 more 5 gallon batches for all you thirsty drunk fuckers. 

Almost forgot...  when serving a pitcher of rita pour a huge shot of everclear on top. 

boom 

As a mid to late 90s Nasty's connoisseur,  I salute you good man.

If you claim the tequila doesn’t matter you  don’t Really like good margaritas, just saying.   You can defiantly taste the difference between plastic bottle crap and a decent tequila in a properly mixed margarita.  Cointreau, lime juice, tequila and a splash of orange juice and mix to your liking.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 2

Always a good time trying to figure out a good margarita. Obviously different people like different things so just try different stuff until you figure out what matters to you. There are a couple of ideas to keep in mind, though. Fresh juice is always the way to go. Always. Fresh juice > pasteurized > powdered mix. Also, don't pay too much for the tequila. The qualities you pay a premium for (smoothness, flavor, nuance, etc.) are quickly lost when combined with multiple other ingredients.

1.5 oz tequila

.75 oz triple sec

.75 oz simple syrup

.75 oz lime juice

.25 oz oj

That's a pretty generic place to start from. If you want it a little more boozy add another .5 oz tequila and subtract .25 oz simple and lime. Try it with agave instead of simple, or cointreau or grand marnier instead of triple. Maybe switching to cointreau instead of triple makes it too sweet so reduce the amount of simple. Try it without simple, but increase the triple like HouTex's recipe above. Maybe you want to muddle some shit in it. The fun part is you just have to make and drink different margaritas until you find what you like. Shitty huh?

I have been enjoying jalapeño margs lately. Take 2-3 slices of raw jalapeño, depending on how much heat you like, and muddle with a splash of simple. This kind of candies it just a little. Or muddle with splash of lime if you don't want the added sugar. Do this in a shaker can then build the margarita in the can with ice, shake, and dump into your glass.

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

If you claim the tequila doesn’t matter you  don’t Really like good margaritas, just saying.   You can defiantly taste the difference between plastic bottle crap and a decent tequila in a properly mixed margarita.  Cointreau, lime juice, tequila and a splash of orange juice and mix to your liking.  

tumblr_n8by7s6loc1qzbqw1o1_500.gif

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, freyguy said:

Jesus, who wasn't puking after that?

That's why most people say they can't drink tequila because it makes them sick or hungover. It's because the only experience they have with it is a ton of cheap garbage mixto like Cuervo gold mixed with garbage like everclear from places like that. 

And thank God for those places. If whitey ever really en masse figured out how amazing real tequila is the prices would triple. Just like skirt steak. 

2 oz 100% agave tequila

This here and the fresh lime juice and high quality triple sec are the difference makers. You can muddle some fresh sliced jalapeño to add to the shaker and add a slice to the rim for a little pizazz.

boom 

If my dick was a tongue, it would have tasted Nasty's margaritas more than once.  

boom 

This explains my freshman and sophomore GPA.

17 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

You normal average temperate drinkers crack me up.

The correct answer is you lick the salt, take the shot, and squeeze the lime in your mouth. Or fuck the lime and just guzzle from the bottle. Repeat til you're spending all your money on Lawyers.

Too much?

You forgot to brag about spending $10k on booze.

That's why most people say they can't drink tequila because it makes them sick or hungover. It's because the only experience they have with it is a ton of cheap garbage mixto like Cuervo gold mixed with garbage like everclear from places like that. 
And thank God for those places. If whitey ever really en masse figured out how amazing real tequila is the prices would triple. Just like skirt steak. 

Most. Not all. My tequila nightmare was brought on by shooting straight Pepe Lopez in high school. Took me a few years to be able to sniff tequila again.

I need to spend some time and dial in my margarita. Every time I have a good one at a restaurant it seems to lose its magic by the bottom of the glass. Every time I make them at home I forgot what I did from the time before.

I like them boozy (so for me the tequila matters), not too sweet, and more of a tart than sour lime flavor. I like Altos for a cheap but good mixing tequila. And always use Blanco in a marg.

Drink Ranch Water instead. Ice in the glass, fill glass with 1/3 blanco tequila, then fresh squeezed juice from one lime and fill the rest with Topo Chico. You can dial back on the lime juice if you like for true Ranch Water. The whole lime is kind of a mashup between margarita and RW.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, ramirezut said:

bump.

I've heard that St. Germain or Maraschino liqueur are good subs for triple sec/orange liqueur. Has anyone tried this? 

St Germain is my go to instead of triple sec. Especially when using fresh lime juice.  It helps balance the acidity.

My go to ratio is:

2 oz Blanco Tequila

.75 oz St Germain

2 limes freshly squeezed

Serve over Ice or shaken / served up

• Like 1

I've mixed a few different tequilas and also thought i'd experiment with the proportions, to my taste, on this classic drink.

So far

50ml (1.69 oz max) Tequila 

1 oz Lime (with a squeeze more)

.5 oz Triple

<.5 oz   Agave

shaken 

So far Don Julio Blanco > Patron Silver > Jose Cuervo Especial Gold

The tequila matters, imo.

Edited by RollLeft

I prefer on the rocks but for a group this frozen recipe is fantastic and very easy:

1 Can Minute Maid Limeade (The limeade you pick actually makes a difference. Don’t go with the cheap knock off version).

Fill empty limeade can with tequila.  Don’t go cheap but no need for high quality in a frozen. 

Half fill limeade can with a decent Triple Sec. 

1 12oz beer

Blend with ice.  Smooth and delicious.  

On 3/19/2020 at 6:13 PM, sheeeit said:

I prefer on the rocks but for a group this frozen recipe is fantastic and very easy:

1 Can Minute Maid Limeade (The limeade you pick actually makes a difference. Don’t go with the cheap knock off version).

Fill empty limeade can with tequila.  Don’t go cheap but no need for high quality in a frozen. 

Half fill limeade can with a decent Triple Sec. 

1 12oz beer

Blend with ice.  Smooth and delicious.  

What the fuck, motherfucker?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1