2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or he was a really talented player that Texas didn’t properly utilize by scheme and didn’t get proper playing time. But I guess you’re saying his ability to succeed in the NFL but just be an OK back at Texas has nothing to do with Texas? 

Can’t disagree with any of that. Just listing MO of his production here. He clearly had talent, but maybe they did right by him as his role at Texas is basically the exact one he had in the pros. A pass catching back who rarely saw ten carries a game. 

Some of those big plays came against the land thieves, so extra credit there.  Sydney is spot on though, don’t think our coaches knew what they had in CO.

That’s hard to argue- the way CO was utilized in the NFL is very similar to how he was used at Texas. He did the same things well and played a similar role.
Some guys are utility guys.

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s hard to argue- the way CO was utilized in the NFL is very similar to how he was used at Texas. He did the same things well and played a similar role.
Some guys are utility guys.

Haven’t looked at the numbers, but it seemed like he got more touches in the NFL.  At any rste, I thought he should have gotten more touches st UT.  

Our OL was shitty though, so that was probably the reason.  That is still a source of aggravation.

8 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Haven’t looked at the numbers, but it seemed like he got more touches in the NFL.  At any rste, I thought he should have gotten more touches st UT.  

Our OL was shitty though, so that was probably the reason.  That is still a source of aggravation.

The reason he didn’t get more touches before the 2008 season was because we had Jamaal Charles.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or he was a really talented player that Texas didn’t properly utilize by scheme and didn’t get proper playing time. But I guess you’re saying his ability to succeed in the NFL but just be an OK back at Texas has nothing to do with Texas? 

What the fuck does that have to do with Roshon? Some dumbass said that Roshon's ceiling was Chris O. Okay, so his ceiling is an NFL caliber back?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What the fuck does that have to do with Roshon? Some dumbass said that Roshon's ceiling was Chris O. Okay, so his ceiling is an NFL caliber back?

Yes you fucking idiot. If you would pay any attention to context and the flow of discussion, one poster said that and my post was essentially supporting the notion of “Yes, sign me up for an NFL caliber back.” Welcome to the party. I’m not going to bother explaining the debate of Roschon to RB vs. Roschon to QB. Do you think you can wrap your head around that concept all on your own?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris O's role in the offense was pretty much the same as Brett Robin's was. That's pretty damning failure to exploit talent on hand, imo.

Except Chris O was evaluated for that role, and then translated that role effectively to the pros. He was a huge upgrade over Brett Robin, who was not an NFL caliber talent. And just because CO was a utility player at the pro level doesn’t mean he could have been even better as a featured back in college. That’s not knowable. What we do know is that what he did at the college level well translated directly to the same job at the pro level for 5 years.

Chris O was a pretty important part of the 2008 offense.  He was Colt's safety valve whenever the other team managed to cover Shipley and Quan on the same play.  That line wasn't great at run blocking, which hurt his effectiveness as a runner but short passes to him out of the backfield helped make up for it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kinda blows up that bullshit about Herman not being able to find them jobs Last year so he could move on. In reality, he won 10 games and didn’t want to displace his bros, so he kept them and that tanked the entire 2019 season. 

He tried to move guys after 2017. It wasn’t bullshit. He ended up having to demote them instead. 2 years of experience later, and shown the door with an actual imperative to leave, they magically found shitty jobs they had to take. Your take is mistaken. 

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's young and hopefully has learned. This isn't the total despair of the Strong years.

People with true NPD don’t learn. They stop doing that in puberty when they become a narcissist. Everything correct is due to their genius and everything that goes wrong is because someone else is an idiot. Our best hope is that he finds ease in blaming new guys for poor team performance and that he’s not actually meddling with playcalling. 

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

CO was one of the longhorn wonders who did better in the NFL than for the longhorns. He was a steady third down back and by his Sr year made some big plays for us and was a steadying force (like Tre Watson two years ago). He was never an “NFL” caliber back at Texas but found a niche doing the same in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ogbannaya was not underutilized at Texas and some folks predicted he’d play in the NFL while he was on campus. Not every NFL quality player needs 80 snaps a game. 

31 minutes ago, Tracer Bullet said:

Ogbonnaya spent 6 years in the NFL.  That's not a bad ceiling

1.5 on practice squad. 

rushing 158 attempts / 710 yards/2 TDs

receiving   96 catches 714 yards 2 TDs

Made it to retirement. They should all be so fortunate to find a niche 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He tried to move guys after 2017. It wasn’t bullshit. He ended up having to demote them instead. 2 years of experience later, and shown the door with an actual imperative to leave, they magically found shitty jobs they had to take. Your take is mistaken. 

I probably just worded it poorly. I meant the idea that it was impossible to find them jobs was bullshit, not that he didn’t even try to move them. I got the impression that his attempt to move them was half-hearted. Also, I could be wrong, but I thought he tried to move them last offseason too and that’s where the JMU rumors came from, but maybe that was 2017, not 2018. 

21 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

In terms of academics. How is New Mexico compared to

stanford 

aggy would argue it's aggy and tree, tied for first, UNM in third.

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Any Ruidoso recs?  Going this summer for a heat escape.  

Mad Jack's barbecue in Cloudcroft. Get there before it opens, expect a line. There's also a couple New Mexico threads in the travel section.

Houston is quite possibly the number 1 food city in the US so almost anywhere will pale in comparison. Diversity of cuisine, great availability of a wealth of inexpensive ingredients, and a cheap, youthful labor pool are nice attributes.

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I probably just worded it poorly. I meant the idea that it was impossible to find them jobs was bullshit, not that he didn’t even try to move them. I got the impression that his attempt to move them was half-hearted. Also, I could be wrong, but I thought he tried to move them last offseason too and that’s where the JMU rumors came from, but maybe that was 2017, not 2018. 

• Like 1

Anwar forgot to include riviting details about New Mexico in his sunday update

This is going to be a big week for the remaining coaches on Tom Herman’s staff.

Longhorn offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash will meet with current coaches on Herman’s staff this week to determine which guys might be re-signed, according to my sources.

Those meetings will begin on Tuesday.

The remaining staff members are cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, safeties coach Craig Naivar, defensive line coach Oscar Giles, running backs coach Stan Drayton, offensive line coach Herb Hand, interim receivers coach Andre Coleman, and interim linebackers coach Jeremiah George.

From what I have gathered, after those meetings, Ash and Yurcich will sit down with Herman to discuss their assistant coaching options.

After multiple conversations with sources, I believe Drayton and Hand will be retained.

Drayton solidified his status by signing Bijan Robinson, along with Keaontay Ingram, Jordan Whittington, and successfully converting Roschon Johnson from a quarterback into a running back. Hand has developed depth at the offensive line position, and everyone inside the building is excited about that group in 2020.

Naivar’s performance in December as an interim defensive coordinator could help his cause. This is just my opinion, but the defense played its best game of the season under Naivar, and that might impress Ash. However, Ash coached safeties as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State, and he may want to resume that role at Texas.

As far as candidates go, I would pump the brakes on Texas A&M’s Daymeune Craig and SMU’s Rashad Samples. According to my sources, neither coach is in the mix. Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson has been mentioned, but it is hard to gauge where he is on the priority list. In addition, I have not heard anything from inside the building about Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones. I am still working on obtaining names.

I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Anwar forgot to include riviting details about New Mexico in his sunday update

Reveal hidden contents

This is going to be a big week for the remaining coaches on Tom Herman’s staff.

Longhorn offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash will meet with current coaches on Herman’s staff this week to determine which guys might be re-signed, according to my sources.

Those meetings will begin on Tuesday.

The remaining staff members are cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, safeties coach Craig Naivar, defensive line coach Oscar Giles, running backs coach Stan Drayton, offensive line coach Herb Hand, interim receivers coach Andre Coleman, and interim linebackers coach Jeremiah George.

From what I have gathered, after those meetings, Ash and Yurcich will sit down with Herman to discuss their assistant coaching options.

After multiple conversations with sources, I believe Drayton and Hand will be retained.

Drayton solidified his status by signing Bijan Robinson, along with Keaontay Ingram, Jordan Whittington, and successfully converting Roschon Johnson from a quarterback into a running back. Hand has developed depth at the offensive line position, and everyone inside the building is excited about that group in 2020.

Naivar’s performance in December as an interim defensive coordinator could help his cause. This is just my opinion, but the defense played its best game of the season under Naivar, and that might impress Ash. However, Ash coached safeties as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State, and he may want to resume that role at Texas.

As far as candidates go, I would pump the brakes on Texas A&M’s Daymeune Craig and SMU’s Rashad Samples. According to my sources, neither coach is in the mix. Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson has been mentioned, but it is hard to gauge where he is on the priority list. In addition, I have not heard anything from inside the building about Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones. I am still working on obtaining names.

I will keep you posted.

I’ve haven’t seen anyone anywhere mention Craig except for Anwar just now in this article.  Is that some OB board bullshit?

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s pretty clearly just making shit up. The whole article is him saying he hasn’t really heard anything. 

He’s been a mouthpiece for Herman for this entire process. However, I guess when he’s not getting info when he’s Sunday column comes around, he needs material to show even if there’s nothing new 

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Craig on staff would almost be worth it just to see CTJ trip to Austin to personally set Belmont on fire, then rip his shirt off Orgeron style at the 50 yard line and challenge Herman and Del Conte to a 2 v. 1 deathmatch. 

It sounds like you really just want to see CTJ with his shirt off. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Craig on staff would almost be worth it just to see CTJ trip to Austin to personally set Belmont on fire, then rip his shirt off Orgeron style at the 50 yard line and challenge Herman and Del Conte to a 2 v. 1 deathmatch. 

While screaming, “THE SUN IS MY FRIEND!!!” 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

We’re going to end up with a bunch of guys who coached at Drake and Shippensberg 15 years ago.  

Hopefully Doeren gets fired at NC State pretty soon.

Would make a great LB coach. 

Ash's other buddy from Drake Charlie Partridge is considered a Top tier DL coach. 

I would take both of Ash's friends from Drake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

1.5 on practice squad. 

rushing 158 attempts / 710 yards/2 TDs

receiving   96 catches 714 yards 2 TDs

Made it to retirement. They should all be so fortunate to find a niche 

He also has a great career in finance now.  Works for a friend of mine and is a rising star.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheGhost said:

Hopefully Doeren gets fired at NC State pretty soon.

Would make a great LB coach. 

Ash's other buddy from Drake Charlie Partridge is considered a Top tier DL coach. 

I would take both of Ash's friends from Drake. 

Partridge as a position coach would be an awesome addition to the staff. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I vote for whatever makes this scenario come to fruition

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Chris O once collided with Jack Tatum near the goal line and still scored. Several years later Tatum died prematurely at age 61.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

There is a reason Chuck Norris refuses to attend the same parties as Chris O.

Chris O spent some time in Vietnam as an exchange student in high school. Anyway, I went to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant recently, noticed the waiter was 7' 10"...I asked him what his name was and sure enough, he bent down and his name tag said, Ho Tran Ogbonnaya.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

aggy would argue it's aggy and tree, tied for first, UNM in third.

Mad Jack's barbecue in Cloudcroft. Get there before it opens, expect a line. There's also a couple New Mexico threads in the travel section.

Houston is quite possibly the number 1 food city in the US so almost anywhere will pale in comparison. Diversity of cuisine, great availability of a wealth of inexpensive ingredients, and a cheap, youthful labor pool are nice attributes.

I would have to say NYC has by far the best food.  And it's much closer to Rutgers, our 6 degrees to Kevin bacon for coaching hires.